Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am legitimately curious as to how they made the $621.93. Was that just tours of the museum/basement, or was there a bank error in their favor, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Did they even have a book to sell or anything close to a product? Even a hat or something?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Coulda sworn I saw little packs of dice with their branding at one point or another.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm trying to remember if they actually sold any copies of Transphobic Star Frontiers or if the pictures were all just Photoshopped.

They sold some zines, right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
It could be as simple as someone investing in them right? And by someone i mean like...1 weirdo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Investment isn’t revenue.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm trying to remember if they actually sold any copies of Transphobic Star Frontiers or if the pictures were all just Photoshopped.

They sold some zines, right?

They didn't sell any TERFrontiers*, and they variously sorta-denied it was real but also how dare you look at a leaked draft of something. Also I seem to recall the author was outed as a just-shy-of-self-proclaimed Nazi who totally would write weird RaHoWa adjacent horseshit unironically.

* I think they claimed to have instantly sold out of a super secret draft printing that absolutely didn't exist, that no one knew anything about or could back it up until right when it was convenient to claim it existed in an internet argument about their weird racism.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 14, 2023

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"I am my own biggest creditor" to the tune of "I am my own grandpa"

Eh, at least "I'm my own grandpa" was played for laughs when Futurama did it. This is just sad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

It could be as simple as someone investing in them right? And by someone i mean like...1 weirdo
Yeah, that guy was Justin LaNasa.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I wonder if I could dig up that awful Star Frontiers content as it was. With them likely going out of business it'll be fair game for the show. Of course I'd never give them a full platform but it'd be fun to include in some sort of poo poo flinging schadenfreude roundup.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Their whole business model was the assumption that "get woke go broke" works backwards.

It never even worked that way forwards!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

moths posted:

Their whole business model was the assumption that "get woke go broke" works backwards.

Well, we've disproven the inverse, but now that they're going broke we can at least see if the converse holds

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nope, it's go fash, no cash.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Yeah. You have like a handful of ComicGate projects that did okay... but a lot of that was from outside funding and it's clearly been shown that the coffers for people angry about a brown girl calling herself Ms. Marvel aren't exactly deep because the upper middle class jet ski dealership people who're the financial backbone of chuddery don't care about comics and when you get down to several levels below that with tabletop RPGs, forget about it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Drakyn posted:

Portray the space marines as skaven stormvermin. You want to deromanticize the fascists in 40k, you pull off the glamour and the glitz and start writing them the same way you do your compulsively backstabbing wunderwaffen-addicted failurerats.

Back in the original Rogue Trader days (ie 1E of the wargame, not the much later RPG) it was apparent that Space Marines were outright grotesque under their armour (at least in some of the art), their origins as hideous creations of biochemical, surgical, and cybernetic fuckery horribly obvious.

But they weren't consistent with it and handsome marines became standard, which just ups the propaganda stakes. Make them broken monsters and you go some way towards restoring the original intent and dialling the gently caress back on the hero worship.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Aniodia posted:

Eh, at least "I'm my own grandpa" was played for laughs when Futurama did it. This is just sad.

You seem to be unaware of the song, which means you're in for a treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You seem to be unaware of the song, which means you're in for a treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

I love how the situation is much more confusing without involving any time travel OR incest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Aniodia posted:

Are we talking about Rise of Skywalker again?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Warthur posted:

Back in the original Rogue Trader days (ie 1E of the wargame, not the much later RPG) it was apparent that Space Marines were outright grotesque under their armour (at least in some of the art), their origins as hideous creations of biochemical, surgical, and cybernetic fuckery horribly obvious.

But they weren't consistent with it and handsome marines became standard, which just ups the propaganda stakes. Make them broken monsters and you go some way towards restoring the original intent and dialling the gently caress back on the hero worship.

Midwinter Minis did a "vitruvian man" print a while ago based on the idea of what people with all of the Space Marine additional organs would actually look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6xKGAUsA0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Maxwell Lord posted:

I am legitimately curious as to how they made the $621.93. Was that just tours of the museum/basement, or was there a bank error in their favor, or what?

Website ads?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lamuella posted:

Midwinter Minis did a "vitruvian man" print a while ago based on the idea of what people with all of the Space Marine additional organs would actually look like

They give Space Marines extra arms and legs?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cessna posted:

They give Space Marines extra arms and legs?

the Vitruvian Man is a Da Vinci sketch used to show human proportions

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

did they not have a convention in march and manage to gather at least a dozen miserable dead-eyed cultists together?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

Satire Without Purpose Will Wander In Dark Places is a very long deep dive into Warhammer 40K, it's history and how corporate blandness made it is what it is today.

Chapter (?) titles:

I guess ultimately they are going to be bought out by Disney or something.

Very interesting read, thank you

Edit: just popped up in my feed, seemed apropos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIDo_17toVs

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 16, 2023

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bonus point is that this way they can be even more entertaining because they're a lot funnier.

That's why I liked Skaven. They were cowardly little bastards, but they had cool toys and made no excuse for just being little cowardly shits.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lamuella posted:

Somehow I missed that the space marine hormone therapy starts pre puberty. Just reinforces that they could do so much interesting stuff with the idea that genetic males and genetic female could start the process but by the time they're done loving with all the hormone glands and implanting new ones the space Marines come out as biological males regardless of initial genetics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Somehow I missed that the space marine hormone therapy starts pre puberty. Just reinforces that they could do so much interesting stuff with the idea that genetic males and genetic female could start the process but by the time they're done loving with all the hormone glands and implanting new ones the space Marines come out as biological males regardless of initial genetics.

Oh no don’t get that queer child mutilation stuff in my BIG MANLY SPESS MAHRINES

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've always preferred the thought that by the time Space Marines are declared full battle brothers they are biologically Space Marine. Neither men nor women* have a Belcher's Gland or a second heart**, for example.

*As far as I know, feel free to correct me.
**In their body, I know several women who collect preserved body parts but those don't count.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My 40k headcannon has always been that since Space Marines are explicitly posthuman, they're also postgender. The process of being turned into a Space Marine obliterates not only individuality but sex, gender, and sexuality. Fascism explicitly dehumanizes its enforcers; it doesn't matter what gender they were before their transformation because they always come out the other end as hulking sexless monsters.

Use of male pronouns for Space Marines is deference to a combination of Emperor worship ("WE ARE HIS SONS :black101:") and institutionalized sexism.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Froghammer posted:

My 40k headcannon has always been that since Space Marines are explicitly posthuman, they're also postgender. The process of being turned into a Space Marine obliterates not only individuality but sex, gender, and sexuality. Fascism explicitly dehumanizes its enforcers; it doesn't matter what gender they were before their transformation because they always come out the other end as hulking sexless monsters.

Use of male pronouns for Space Marines is deference to a combination of Emperor worship ("WE ARE HIS SONS :black101:") and institutionalized sexism.

Exactly. Having obviously sexless, genderless post-humans still coded as male is way more interesting than "girls are icky" .

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I believe strongly in ladymarine haircuts and heads being a thing that should exist because they look cool.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

But also battle nuns

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Battle nuns need to exist so the gray knights have blood to sanctify their armor in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
also for the nsfw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

But also battle nuns

Infinity has these too, amusingly enough in lore they oppose the Friend Computer that the Catholic Space Knights are generally friendly with though there's enough wiggle room in lore for any faction to oppose or ally with almost any other.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've always preferred the thought that by the time Space Marines are declared full battle brothers they are biologically Space Marine. Neither men nor women* have a Belcher's Gland or a second heart**, for example.

*As far as I know, feel free to correct me.
**In their body, I know several women who collect preserved body parts but those don't count.

You don't know where they keep them.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Froghammer posted:

This is also close to actual canon.
Even the marines that follow the chaos god of pleasure are sexless. There's a short story where a marine is at a dinner party and understands intellectually the human mating rituals on display but has no real interest in them.

The last decade or so they've been making the marines explicitly not human. They more like Greek demigods. Stronger, faster, in some ways smarter, much more prideful than the mortals around them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Froghammer posted:

Which hits a new level of comic irony when you realize the Orks are genderless fungi assigned a male gender too.

Ego Trip posted:

This is also close to actual canon.
Even the marines that follow the chaos god of pleasure are sexless. There's a short story where a marine is at a dinner party and understands intellectually the human mating rituals on display but has no real interest in them.

The last decade or so they've been making the marines explicitly not human. They more like Greek demigods. Stronger, faster, in some ways smarter, much more prideful than the mortals around them.

Yeah, all the sexualization in Slaaneshi armies is the daemons, who use it to prey on mortals. The Marines hyper-dedicated to Slaanesh are Noise Marines who got so into sensation that they make people explode with sound.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 18, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Black Crusade, the 'play as Chaos' 40K RPG, ran much more with being flamboyant than sexy which was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slaanesh is big titty crabclaw demons yes, but I always felt like Hedonism Bot was a better model for what they were going for:
https://youtu.be/e6XXCip04us