Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Six figgie electric bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

gonna set my thermostat to what I set it to in airbnbs lol

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

What in gods name is your electric bill like?

Well, so part of this is to actually get them all running. The joke here is that there are 4 compressors, but a single 2.5t unit was basically cooling the whole house (and doing a decent-ish job at it). The problem was that it was running the entire day and the air exchange could freeze. There are two units that blast into the main living area and so if we could just get those running, that would cover every except the bedrooms (which have window units for now until such a time when compressor the 3rd gets working). The 4th compressor goes to an unfinished basement which we don't care about. We got the second compressor running into the main living area, but the net amount of time the AC is running shouldn't change.

So, all that said, our electrical bill is actually <$200 / month. Partially because we pay crazy low rates (about $0.06 / kwh), and partially because while we have a pile of compressors because of how this building is laid out, we don't really run them.

Now that said our heating bill in the winter time is absolutely gross and I want to do something about that in the not so distant future.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 17, 2023

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
we were cleaning the lint trap out on our dryer, and now the dryer wont turn on. i took the back panel off, and near as i can tell, all of the appropriate circuits are hooked up. i checked to make sure the door sensor was hooked up as well.

Any thoughts before we call a guy?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

we were cleaning the lint trap out on our dryer, and now the dryer wont turn on. i took the back panel off, and near as i can tell, all of the appropriate circuits are hooked up. i checked to make sure the door sensor was hooked up as well.

Any thoughts before we call a guy?

Define "won't turn on", and what kind of dryer matters. If you have something with a digital control panel that lights up but simply won't start a cycle that's a lot different than something with one big dial that won't turn on when you spin it.

Gas? Electric? Either way did you knock the plug out of the outlet when you move it?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Sure, apologies for the vagueness, it was a surprise 4 hours down the drain.

It's a Fridigare gas model. The issue is that it will not turn on when we press the start button. It sounds like it is clicking over when selecting the timer/etc, but nothing is engaging when we press the start button.

It doesn't have a digital display or anything like that, just turn dial knobs.

It is plugged into the wall outlet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Have you tried resetting the breaker that it's on?

Have you checked whether the outlet is powered on (with a voltage tester)?

Have you checked to make sure that the door is fully latched closed?

Have you checked that the dryer exhaust isn't blocked?

e: Since it's a gas model, have you checked to make sure that the gas line is turned on?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

Sure, apologies for the vagueness, it was a surprise 4 hours down the drain.

It's a Fridigare gas model. The issue is that it will not turn on when we press the start button. It sounds like it is clicking over when selecting the timer/etc, but nothing is engaging when we press the start button.

It doesn't have a digital display or anything like that, just turn dial knobs.

It is plugged into the wall outlet.

Okay, open the door and check for a sticker. It's gonna have a model number in there. Figuring out if it needs to power to make that click is gonna be the first diagnostic criteria.

Not having gas/gas being turned off is not an issue at this point. Any gas dryer I'm aware of would "turn on" and start turning the drum at a minimum even without gas regardless of the chosen cycle. Some may turn back off again after failing to light, some might just keep going, etc. But if you can't even get the drum to turn we need to first make sure you have electric power to it.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Model FGR641fso . Tried to depress the 'door button' while holding the door open to see if any spinning or anything starts and there is nothing. Confirmed the outlet is working with another larger device.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

Model FGR641fso . Tried to depress the 'door button' while holding the door open to see if any spinning or anything starts and there is nothing. Confirmed the outlet is working with another larger device.

Nice diagnostics job! Checking a quick wiring diagram, if this thing has power at the outlet the most likely suspect is the door switch.

This gets into screwdrivers and multimeters. If you wanna go that way say so. If you are just looking for your initial "is it time to call someone" then I'll say yeah, it is. And hopefully it's the easy and inexpensive thing.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

Nice diagnostics job! Checking a quick wiring diagram, if this thing has power at the outlet the most likely suspect is the door switch.

This gets into screwdrivers and multimeters. If you wanna go that way say so. If you are just looking for your initial "is it time to call someone" then I'll say yeah, it is. And hopefully it's the easy and inexpensive thing.

Yeah that's more than what we're trying to bite off tonight. Appreciate the quick response from the Something Awful Homeowners Traumasquad, I'll let the thread know what the issue was and how much $$$ when its done

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

Something Awful Homeowners Traumasquad

MODS! Thread title!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If the last thing you did was clean the lint trap, it seems highly likely the problem is related to that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheWevel posted:

If the last thing you did was clean the lint trap, it seems highly likely the problem is related to that.

Agreed, and to clean the lint trap you have to open the door. And the wiring diagram I found says that the power literally goes from the plug to.....

This is very typical of most dryers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Work the switch a bunch and it might fix it temporarily.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Work the switch a bunch and it might fix it temporarily.

will grab it by the baseboards and work the switch until it comes online

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I couldn't prove mine was the door switch until I bypassed it. So, if you can pull the switch (UNPLUG IT FIRST) try that.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Guess it's time for me to migrate over here from the (first-time) buying thread. Just closed on a condo yesterday and am trying to figure out internet installation before we move in.

The options are Spectrum and Fios. The previous owner had Spectrum through the only coax cable I can see, in the master bedroom. There is a Fios cable outside, right above the door, that I guess is currently unused.

I'm looking to do two things: use Fios (probably 500Mbps), and have it go to the second bedroom/office instead of the master bedroom (they share a wall so it's just on the other side).

My question is: can Fios use the installed coax cable, that I can probably move from the master bedroom to the office without too much trouble? I tried googling this and it seems like speeds are maybe too limited over coax without extra equipment? But then, what normally happens instead, does Verizon usually run some other type of cable along the floor/ceiling or something? Trying to figure out if I need a contractor to do any wiring before scheduling the installation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grevlek posted:

we were cleaning the lint trap out on our dryer, and now the dryer wont turn on

Have you tried wearing something sexy?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

runawayturtles posted:

Guess it's time for me to migrate over here from the (first-time) buying thread. Just closed on a condo yesterday and am trying to figure out internet installation before we move in.

The options are Spectrum and Fios. The previous owner had Spectrum through the only coax cable I can see, in the master bedroom. There is a Fios cable outside, right above the door, that I guess is currently unused.

I'm looking to do two things: use Fios (probably 500Mbps), and have it go to the second bedroom/office instead of the master bedroom (they share a wall so it's just on the other side).

My question is: can Fios use the installed coax cable, that I can probably move from the master bedroom to the office without too much trouble? I tried googling this and it seems like speeds are maybe too limited over coax without extra equipment? But then, what normally happens instead, does Verizon usually run some other type of cable along the floor/ceiling or something? Trying to figure out if I need a contractor to do any wiring before scheduling the installation.

FIOS has two general types of setups:

The older setup requires two cables between inside and a sizable ONT box outside - power and Cat 6. They will run them pretty much wherever you want as long as access is easy, but generally won't spend the time to fish cable around behind walls.

The newer setup brings the fiber optic cable right into the house. Again they will be pretty flexible about routing but the fiber can't be bent tighter than a certain radius which might limit you.

If you don't have a chonky box outside already you'll probably get the second setup.

That's said here's two good news items for you: Firstly if the initial installation location proves to be annoying it is just a $99 service call to get it moved. Secondly if your condo is wired with coax you can use MOCA adapters to run a rock solid gigabit wired network over the coax, which might make placement easier.

My FIOS setup has the exterior box/ONT and the installer was willing to go down into the crawlspace to bring the cat6 up in a small utility space under the stairs and left an extra 20ft for me to mess with positioning the router. The already installed power adapter is in an annoying spot but I haven't had the time to get them to move it. I have another cat6 cable that I ran to an upstairs office and I power the downstairs router using Power over Ethernet via that connection. That way the router is on my main uninterruptible power supply and I can power cycle the router easily by simply unplugging the network cable upstairs.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 18, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Need some help from the Something Awful Homeowners Traumasquad (SAHoTs) (sā-häts)

spf3million posted:

I've been striking out on getting someone to quote me on repairing the leak under my sidewalk/driveway. It's like 1,000 gpd and has been going for like a month now, ridiculous. I did get someone to do a leak detection on it using helium and acoustics.

I decided to try to dig it up and put a clamp on it as a temporary mitigation while I find anyone willing to fix the drat thing permanently. So I rented a 14" cement saw and went to town.
What kind of pump do I need to buy to keep the holes dry enough to continue chasing this drat pipe?

Yes I'm going to take up the slab on the top of this photo, just waiting for a neighborly appropriate time to fire up the cement saw.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

m0therfux0r posted:

I also live in Pittsburgh and my house is almost 100 years old. I'm unsure how old our pipes are, but they're old as hell either way. I had a backup a couple years ago that also included a bunch of corrosion and the plumbers were telling me that I'd likely have to replace most of my piping. They ended up using a hydrojet (cost about $700) so that I'd be able to continue using water in the near term, but they ran a sewer camera afterward- turns out the pipes were actually in perfectly good condition after all of the buildup was jetted out. I even have clay pipes in the yard and they looked brand new on the video.

So... they might be able to blast through your trap and clean all of your pipes. I'm not guaranteeing you'll have the same experience as I did, but there's a chance you won't need to replace anything. I will say that we had a new trap installed prior to us moving in as part of the inspection process, so our trap was clean and the rest of the pipes weren't. If they truly can't hydrojet a trap as the guy you're working with says, they might have to replace it- that was about 800 dollars if I remember correctly. If all you end up needing is a hydrojet and a new trap, you'll probably end up paying $1500-$2000 without using your insurance.

I don't quite understand what a house trap is supposed to do. All your fixtures already have traps on them, so why not remove it?

Our house definitely does not have some giant trap. Why would you replace it and not just remove it?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Homeownership is so cool. Can't find a professional for love or money. Guess I'll just flail around for a while and hope I manage to crash on through

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah. Not quite the same but for the love of God I can't find someone to pull weeds. Landscapers will pull weeds if they can also do a thousand dollars worth of other stuff. Some companies will apply roundup 5 times over the summer but they won't pull weeds. Lots of services will mow your lawn if you sign up for at least 8 lawn mowings but they're not going to pull weeds. The local kids who shovel snow will not pull weeds. Pulling weeds is definitely a diy kind of thing.

On that note, any weed pulling devices you all recommend? With some of them it's hard to get all of the roots.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

redreader posted:

Yeah. Not quite the same but for the love of God I can't find someone to pull weeds. Landscapers will pull weeds if they can also do a thousand dollars worth of other stuff. Some companies will apply roundup 5 times over the summer but they won't pull weeds. Lots of services will mow your lawn if you sign up for at least 8 lawn mowings but they're not going to pull weeds. The local kids who shovel snow will not pull weeds. Pulling weeds is definitely a diy kind of thing.

On that note, any weed pulling devices you all recommend? With some of them it's hard to get all of the roots.

I've had good luck with this one. https://a.co/d/gZ8GChT

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SpartanIvy posted:

I've had good luck with this one. https://a.co/d/gZ8GChT

I've got one of these which is similar but has a lifetime warranty and I like it a lot: https://grampasweeder.com/collections/grampas-gardenware/products/grampas-weeder

Great for dandelions

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Cut out another slab

I can still see the water running in from the bottom of this photo

I haven't found the pipe yet. Debating whether to keep cutting or keep digging. I only have the rental saw for another two hours before I'm on the hook for another who knows how much, arghh.

:suicide:

e: extended the rental. let's go.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 18, 2023

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

Cut out another slab

I can still see the water running in from the bottom of this photo

I haven't found the pipe yet. Debating whether to keep cutting or keep digging. I only have the rental saw for another two hours before I'm on the hook for another who knows how much, arghh.

I feel for you and have no directly relevant experience to share but in my experience with these kinds of jobs it is best to adopt a "drat the torpedoes full steam ahead" approach and not to worry about trying to minimize the repair job. You spend more time being deliberate and careful than is worthwhile.

In short, cut concrete like a madman and dig like a lunatic until you've found that leak.

Edit: ahh excellent you've arrived at this conclusion yourself.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Wonder if I was supposed to get a permit from the city/county before chopping up this sidewalk to nowhere

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress it drive on

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

spf3million posted:

Wonder if I was supposed to get a permit from the city/county before chopping up this sidewalk to nowhere

Put some cones and/or caution tape up and you're probably fine. Make sure no one can fall into it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spf3million posted:

Cut out another slab

e: extended the rental. let's go.

Strong Grover house vibes with this one

Keep going, eventually if you keep digging you'll hit China and they'll have a handyman who can help

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hadlock posted:

Strong Grover house vibes with this one

Keep going, eventually if you keep digging you'll hit China and they'll have a handyman who can help
At this point I'm considering just selling the place

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pro tip, if you double up patio string lights, they look like balls so you can tea bag your in laws

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

redreader posted:

Yeah. Not quite the same but for the love of God I can't find someone to pull weeds.

Boiling water. I am not kidding.

Pour boiling water on the fuckers, and they'll be dead in a day.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I may be an absolute idiot but, when I use Roundup, and the weed dies, then what? Am I supposed to just wait and let it disintegrate, because when I last (first) used it, the weeds just kind of stayed there, dead. And it’s harder to pull dead weeds from dry soil, for me at least.

Apologies if there is some super obvious thing that I’m missing here.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm sure everyone has already lost interest (I sure have) but this pipe is 42" below grade and still descending at an angle

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I have a closet in my bedroom hallway with a big bundle of cables that all look like this

Some jabroni ran this stuff all through the attic into 2 corners of each bedroom and just poked the cables through the drywall, no wall plates. Thankfully the cables are the same color as the wall paint, so they're not super obnoxious, but I'd like to think about how to clean this up a bit.

Option 1 - Push the cables back into the wall, seal the holes, paint. Consider just removing all of this cabling from the walls via the attic (the closet receiving the whole bundle is right next to the attic access panel, I think it'd be pretty easy to remove all of it if I wanted to).

Option 2 - Install wall plates. With drywall anchors? With some kind of mounting bracket? idk

Option 3 - Just leave that poo poo who cares

Option 4 - Become an audiophile and cover the cables with actual speakers, spend $$$, blast King Crimson into the toddler's bedroom to try and make him become an evil superscientist

I've been doing Option 3 for awhile but I think I'm about at the point of wanting to do something else, probably option 2 after finding a good mounting bracket to use. Anyone have other thoughts?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spf3million posted:

I'm sure everyone has already lost interest (I sure have) but this pipe is 42" below grade and still descending at an angle

No way I want as many details and pictures as you're willing to provide, thanks for what you've posted so far it's been interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That feeling when your trash pump clogs up and needs to be back flushed with the hose again but every time you turn your water back on to charge the hose, the hole you're trying to pump out starts to fill back up.