Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I didn't have any trouble getting magic bursts with A controls, it buffers attack inputs so I just timed hitting the magic button for when the last attack in a string actually landed, not when I pressed the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the default control scheme seems almost perfectly designed to make magic bursting as hard as possible. As soon as you don't have to do both actions with the same thumb the timing gets a lot easier.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

I didn't have any trouble getting magic bursts with A controls, it buffers attack inputs so I just timed hitting the magic button for when the last attack in a string actually landed, not when I pressed the button.

The timing isn't hard so much as "having to move your thumb around that much/quickly."

Control Scheme A also makes stuff like "Charging magic while you do sword attacks" (or vice versa) extremely impractical.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

The timing isn't hard so much as "having to move your thumb around that much/quickly."

Control Scheme A also makes stuff like "Charging magic while you do sword attacks" (or vice versa) extremely impractical.

Oh yeah lmao, I did not even know that was a thing. Maybe I will try one of those other control schemes....

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/nightskyprince_/status/1670137396325761025

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’ve always thought Final fantasy games have extremely high quality English voice acting, especially compared to some other Japanese franchises

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly the “worst” dub, put in context with what SE had to work with at the time, is probably XIII. And even that was still decent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF16's dub is excellent and I genuinely can't imagine thinking it is bad unless you are predisposed to assume any English dub is bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is English a dub when it's the media's principal language?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Is English a dub when it's the media's principal language?

There's some debate but FFXVI was written and developed in Japan so I think it's fair to say even if it was intended for international release (even primarily for international release ala the lip syncing), it's still a Japanese product being translated for an English audience.

Regardless it isn't like 'dub' is a bad word.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If the face movement was designed around English, then imo English is the main language and Japanese is the dub.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Isn't multilingual lip sync in games basically a solved problem? A bit pricey, but doable?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why are you so certain that the English lip syncing is because its meant for an international audience rather than an artistic choice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Isn't multilingual lip sync in games basically a solved problem? A bit pricey, but doable?

It depends on the game and how it is produced. It's a lot easier for some games than others.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The lip sync for different languages can be a massive storage data sink, especially for anything pre-rendered.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Begemot posted:

Oh yeah lmao, I did not even know that was a thing. Maybe I will try one of those other control schemes....

The way you can buffer inputs in combat is soooo fun, watching your sword start flaming up as you're still doing other actions looks cool as hell, I love it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Why are you so certain that the English lip syncing is because its meant for an international audience rather than an artistic choice?

The Japanese and English scripts are different enough it seems unlikely to be an artistic choice rather than just translation.

Papercut posted:

The way you can buffer inputs in combat is soooo fun, watching your sword start flaming up as you're still doing other actions looks cool as hell, I love it

To add to this you can buffer pretty much anything as long as an animation is going on. If you have Windup attached to a button you can just hold that button down while Clive is doing another attack and it will automatically shift into Windup. Makes it a lot easier to avoid messing up timed stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ghost of Tsushima used AI generated lip sync for the Japanese dub and it was pretty awful, so maybe not

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly I was pretty frustrated with the challenge dungeon boss. I got her almost down but she'd whittled me down too since I didn't know any of the dodge timings for her attacks or when it was unsafe to make attacks of my own, and ultimately got killed when she was at around 10%. On continue she was at 25% health and I was topped off with all my healing items back. Like, that felt kind of insulting and made the win feel unearned. I'd kind of rather they just made me redo the fight from the top. At the same time I didn't want to re-run the entire dungeon again to get back there, I dunno.

There was also no explanation for what Torgal's abilities actually do (the heal seemed to be a tiny amount on a very long delay?) and while Limit Break has a lock and is listed as unlearned in the ability page, it still very much works in the demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Honestly I was pretty frustrated with the challenge dungeon boss. I got her almost down but she'd whittled me down too since I didn't know any of the dodge timings for her attacks or when it was unsafe to make attacks of my own, and ultimately got killed when she was at around 10%. On continue she was at 25% health and I was topped off with all my healing items back. Like, that felt kind of insulting and made the win feel unearned. I'd kind of rather they just made me redo the fight from the top. At the same time I didn't want to re-run the entire dungeon again to get back there, I dunno.

There was also no explanation for what Torgal's abilities actually do (the heal seemed to be a tiny amount on a very long delay?) and while Limit Break has a lock and is listed as unlearned in the ability page, it still very much works in the demo.

Torgal's Sic is an attack. It can be used mid-combo with timing (similar to Magic Burst) for extra damage or used after you knock an enemy away for a chase attack that does extra damage.
Torgal's Heal adds a slow regen effect that only works on your recoverable HP (the faded green part of your HP bar.)
Torgal's Ravage is a knock-up that launches enemies into the air.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This reminds me of an ancient post I read somewhere about somebody preferring the Japanese language files for Skyrim. :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

This reminds me of an ancient post I read somewhere about somebody preferring the Japanese language files for Skyrim. :psyduck:

To be fair I can't imagine it's much worse than the English voice acting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bongo Bill posted:

I think in one of the interviews they said they tried AI lip sync but while it would change the lip movements, the rest of the face would not match well, and it looked bad without a lot of manual intervention so they didn't move forward with it.

RatHat posted:

Ghost of Tsushima used AI generated lip sync for the Japanese dub and it was pretty awful, so maybe not
Yeah probably something like this lol

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There's some debate but FFXVI was written and developed in Japan so I think it's fair to say even if it was intended for international release (even primarily for international release ala the lip syncing), it's still a Japanese product being translated for an English audience.

Regardless it isn't like 'dub' is a bad word.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1670054424637755394?s=19

I'd have to watch the segment from last night to see exactly what they said, but It sounds like large parts of FFXVI, if not all of it, were written in English first and translated to Japanese second

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1670054424637755394?s=19

I'd have to watch the segment from last night to see exactly what they said, but It sounds like large parts of FFXVI, if not all of it, were written in English first and translated to Japanese second

I don't even get how that works but hey if the writers pulled it off, more power to 'em.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I can't imagine it's much worse than the English voice acting.

I like Skyrim's voice acting. :(

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Agents are GO! posted:

That sure is an advanced level of weird.

I'd hope the "Japanese game, so Japanese audio, target language be damned" people were at least consistent. Polish dub of The Witcher games, and show! Estonian fandub of Disco Elysium, somehow! The Longest Journey in Norwegian! Randomly pick French or Dutch for each character in Baldur's Gate 3, like the devs intended!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk also did the "script was primarily written in English" workflow

Edit: actually it was originally written in Polish and then translated into English, but the English was the primary voice language, so kinda similar

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 18, 2023

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I need this on my wall.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

That sure is an advanced level of weird.

I'd hope the "Japanese game, so Japanese audio, target language be damned" people were at least consistent. Polish dub of The Witcher games, and show! Estonian fandub of Disco Elysium, somehow! The Longest Journey in Norwegian! Randomly pick French or Dutch for each character in Baldur's Gate 3, like the devs intended!

I thought about installing the German voice files for Skyrim, for shits and/or giggles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

FF16's dub is excellent and I genuinely can't imagine thinking it is bad unless you are predisposed to assume any English dub is bad.

I am

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I pretty much always prefer the Japanese dub in Japanese games (and honestly I'll probably still go with it for FF16 as well - I just like getting access to both "versions" of all the lines), but the English dub for this was pretty much perfect. The only part that ever sounded a little awkward to me was some of the Joshua lines during the Phoenix vs Ifrit fight (the gameplay segments), and even then only slightly.

There are other English game dubs that other people like but I would still say are definitely worse than the Japanese alternatives (like Xenoblade 2 and 3), but the English dub during the FF16 demo was probably the best English dub I've ever encountered in a Japanese game. I never really got that feeling of things being "off" that I do from nearly every other English dub in Japanese games.

(I'm just using "dub" here as a generic term for "voice-acting" even if that's probably wrong, just because it gets tedious saying "voice-acting" constantly)

Begemot posted:

C is the best IMO. It's almost the same as A, except magic is L1 (which then moves lock-on to L2).

B having dodge on Circle is nice, but the way Eikonic abilities work on it was too confusing for me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 18, 2023

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there a reason to not just let players rebind buttons as they please

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

English audio first? Just like Lost Odyssey....

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm glad there's no minimap. Any game with a minimap I find myself constantly staring at the minimap and not the cool poo poo on the screen, so I'm glad it's gone. A bold choice, but ultimately the correct one imo

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Yeah I remember barely looking at any of the environments in ffx and using the minimal almost exclusively

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I'm glad there's no minimap. Any game with a minimap I find myself constantly staring at the minimap and not the cool poo poo on the screen, so I'm glad it's gone. A bold choice, but ultimately the correct one imo

Yeah, they mentioned on the last livestream this is exactly the reason they opted not to include one. There's still going to be an area map available via the touchpad so between that and the L3 thing showing you where to go next, I think it will work out well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurai talked about the same thing in his latest video, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I let one of my friends who doesn't really play games and has never touched a Final Fantasy game (or a PS controller? I had to explain shoulder buttons) screw around with the demo. She ended up getting hooked and played through the whole thing with the help of the rings and mashing square and wanted more when it was over. Also very much worried about the safety of Torgal and chocobo friend.

Between this, FFXIV, FF7R, and hopefully FF9 and FFT remakes I feel like this is the kind of strong portfolio of games we haven't seen out of Square in a few decades. And really diverse in terms of tones and combat styles!