Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
old bike day, i need a new bike, but poo poo is still so expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Found where the trail ends

But at least there was some spiritual motivation

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
swapped the sram crank from dick wood onto the JTS, it sorta matches now

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.
Threw my cheap-rear end Zizzo folding bike in the trunk and drove out to a WW2 era decommissioned munitions bunker.

Also I do not recommend the cheap-rear end Zizzo folding bike.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

very
good
bikes

trying this full suspension thing

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

fuckin bumpy

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Feawen
May 12, 2023

Dang. That looks so peaceful.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My big dumb bike continues well....

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
You could remove the rear pedals, but I guess you'd have to keep the drive side crank arm to keep the chain suspended, no?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
speaking of huge loads

the other bag has empanadas

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mauser posted:

You could remove the rear pedals, but I guess you'd have to keep the drive side crank arm to keep the chain suspended, no?

This is correct, and I likely will later

Part of this build was to have it be easily swapped out between it's modes if I have need to carry a second person

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Re-taped all the seams on my velomobile in time for riding it to the brewery this afteroon.

Amazing how much damage UV does over time, the previous tape adhesive had turned to powder and the pigment in the corflute plastic shell has seriously bleached. It's done about 4000 km so far, body shell is getting a bit tired but has some life in it yet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We had a hill climb last week so I took off the dropper and swapped on some real flimsy tires.

trip report: need to put everything back. But it is about 20.5lbs as shown.

Also got valves to match the cassette

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 6, 2023

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Blackhawk posted:

Re-taped all the seams on my velomobile in time for riding it to the brewery this afteroon.

Amazing how much damage UV does over time, the previous tape adhesive had turned to powder and the pigment in the corflute plastic shell has seriously bleached. It's done about 4000 km so far, body shell is getting a bit tired but has some life in it yet.

Sick

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Jestery posted:

My big dumb bike continues well....

This is super awesome. I've been considering doing something similar with a long tail cargo bike. How does it handle loaded? Does having stuff that high really screw with the CoG?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How the gently caress do you have a used bike shop with 2 decent looking tandems for sale? I would have snapped one up so fast.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY posted:

How the gently caress do you have a used bike shop with 2 decent looking tandems for sale? I would have snapped one up so fast.

No clue! Milwaukee, I guess? :shrug:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Gangringo posted:

This is super awesome. I've been considering doing something similar with a long tail cargo bike. How does it handle loaded? Does having stuff that high really screw with the CoG?

It is definitely a concern

But I've had it loaded up to around 30kg and that's about the weight limit I generally take. High center of gravity is just something to be aware of in this circumstance

Like if you were driving a Kei van around with a fridge on it , you might drive a bit slowly or more conservative

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Jestery posted:

This is correct, and I likely will later

Part of this build was to have it be easily swapped out between it's modes if I have need to carry a second person

When I used to ride my old tandem solo ( it had clips and straps on the back) to stop them from scraping on the floor I used a couple of bungee cords attached to the front pedals.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 12, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

That's not a bad idea

However I am coming to the idea that very few people wish to huff my farts, so I might end up hacksawing and angle grinding the crank arms off

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

https://youtu.be/zxzV5XoLpto
^ how it's gonna feel going into work tomorrow

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Taking this baby to the Alps next month.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Checked out a new to me trail right near my house

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The cooler was already in my possession. The straps and the bin? 25 bucks all told (there's a second set of straps I got as well).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Get a bit of a break from doing event stuff after last week's missoula pro xc and the end of our wed night series. Was nice to just go ride my bike tonight.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Blackhawk posted:

Coroplast:? Nice job.

What trike is under that?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Coroplast:? Nice job.

What trike is under that?

Yep coroplast shell.

Trike is something I custom made from carbon tubes bonded together with scraps of prepreg, vacuum bagged and cooked in the big oven at the place I used to work. Double wishbone front suspension with mtb air shocks but no rear suspension (which it really does need).

It's actually pretty lovely, there are a lot of things I'd do differently a second time around but it took so long to make and it works well enough that I'll probably keep using it until it breaks in a way that I can't easily fix (it's already broken twice but has been going well for a while now).

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Got the bike back from the LBS after a crash, nothing too serious but wanted a check up, bend the hanger back and put new tape.
They washed it and put some kind of wax on it. Now it looks glossy and also very green. Feels like a new bike.

free test ligne

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bit of a bittersweet post here.

First off, bike pic.

Ok fine, bikes.

The gray bike was the bike I was riding when I went from person who "mostly drives everywhere" to "person who bikes everywhere." It's a Gary Fisher Marlin Disc. I got it back in 2006, and I couldn't believe that they made bikes with disc brakes. Naturally, I had to have it.

I didn't ride it as much back then, as locking my bike up and unlocking it all the time was a pain in the butt at school, so I switched over to walking for most of my getting around.

I forget when it was, but I once hauled it out to ride Glacial Drumlin Trail. Somehow, I spent the entire time talking to a retiree about bikes, life, everything. He was an old postal worker who never owned a car and tried to bike every day he can.

That was sort of the change for me, because if he could do that, why couldn't me?

After that point, I started riding my bike to work, instead of driving a half a mile (yeah I know). I kept on going further on it every day, even in the winter. Eventually, I got my Journeyman and the rest is history. What was once my daily was relegated to "if the Journeyman is in the shop" duty.

Yesterday I strapped it to my Kombi and hauled it downtown, its final trip. I took what parts I wanted off of it (really the bottle cages and the grips). I would have had three bikes, and well, sadly, it was time to let that one go. I donated it to one of the co-ops around here, a 10.25 mile trip. It was sad to see it go, but at the same time, hopefully someone else can make as much use of it as I did.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

iospace posted:

I would have had three bikes, and well, sadly, it was time to let that one go.

Some of us have a lot more resolve and discipline than others.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

evil_bunnY posted:

If my local craigslist is anything to go by, I think tandems can be kind of hard to sell, especially if they're priced high. It's also pretty niche, there's not that many people looking to ruin their relationship or get divorced because of a bike.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

frogbs posted:

If my local craigslist is anything to go by, I think tandems can be kind of hard to sell, especially if they're priced high. It's also pretty niche, there's not that many people looking to ruin their relationship or get divorced because of a bike.

Can confirm all of this

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

My wife and I call tandem bikes "divorce starter kits".

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Tandems own. My wife and I call them relationship accelerators: wherever you're going you'll get there faster.
It's a slightly more optimistic take.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I actually didn't finish up posting my my bike here

It's all done and rides well

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Holy poo poo the drop bar rack :five: :five: :five:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
At least put some bar end caps on those rear handlebars. That looks like a calf core sampling kit as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

New bichael day

Still needs some tweaks:

brake cables are too long; they looked close enough as they came without cutting them and I wanted to build the bike fast last night so I could ride it this morning. When I'm less lazy I'll cut them down a bit, and maybe replace the cheapo bartape at the same time.

I started with using all the spacers on the steerer, wanting to err on the side of cutting it too little rather than too much. After a ride on it, I think most of them are gonna go and I'll cut the steerer again. I erred on the larger side when choosing the frame size so slammed stem is probably in order.

I'm generally not picky about saddles, and the wtb silverado that came with this is also what I've had on a number of mountain bikes, and I don't mind it, but aesthetically it feels a bit too chonk for this bike, so I might replace it at some point.

Jury is out on the maxxis ramblers that came with the bike; I'm a big fan of wtb nanos but will probably wear these out before replacing them. Might try something a touch larger; Ibis says officially it has clearance for 40, but the gap it has now is pretty generous and we don't often get sticky mud that would cause the biggest problems with tight clearance.