Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Vinz Clortho posted:

Garmins do this too, which I discovered while I was still figuring out how to use the Edge 840.

OK, so it's not just my brand. I won't say, "Good to know," because... I mean, c'mon. If the computer can tell that I'm following the path, it should be recording. It can sure as poo poo pause the ride automatically, why not start it? I'm not going to lose sleep over 5 lost miles of tracking, but it makes such a nice pretty loop look like 300° of an oval, and that stinks. Oh well. First world problems.

Anyway, I forgot to mention a gear acquisition. Yesterday, since riding was out of the question because of timing, we went to the bike store to look at hitch-mounted bike carriers. My wife is getting a 1 1/4ths" hitch installed on her Focus at the local U-Haul, and she'll be using our old carrier. Since I have a 2" receiver, I figured I should look at upgrades. I thought the Saris SuperClamp EX 2-bike model looked good, but the only one they had in stock was the floor model, and it had a defect with one of the locks. So, I got the SuperClamp X2 HD, which is beefier, much sharper, and made for a 2" reciever.

I like having integrated hitch and bike locks. Yeah, they're not the most secure things in the world, but I mostly live and play in low-theft-risk areas, and this has more security than my old carrier does. I also like this one because you can tilt it back to get into your rear hatch, even if it's got bikes on it. And, because I'm less than a year out from buying a bike from them, I got a 10% discount, so the up-sell didn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

corona familiar posted:

thinking about getting a trainer so I can bike in the evenings after work without needing to pay so much attention to inattentive drivers or getting blown over by wind.

I try to bike on the weekends but I live in a tiny city apartment and bringing my heavy outdoor bike up and down the stairs would probably give me an excuse to slack off, so it would probably also involve getting some cheap Craigslist bike for dedicated indoor use

is it worth it? I've done some light research on both "wheel on" trainers and "direct drive" trainers and the reviews seem very mixed. they also seem pretty expensive new; secondhand would be a good option to get a feel for things

alternatively I could try and bike outside more during the week :yaycloud:
I spent a lot of time riding on a trainer this winter and while I'd prefer to be outside it went great. My wife works 3 night shifts a week so this will probably not just be a seasonal thing for me. It's not an ideal workout for me, but it is a workout and I don't dread them.

I have a 1988 Cannondale road bike on a Kinetic smart(ish) trainer. Wouldn't recommend Kinetic, seems like they're losing relevance, but smart trainer capabilities has allowed me to track progress and really focus on training in power zones which does pay off. The bike matters less (I mean dont get a complete poo poo bike, but 700c wheels and 8 speeds with basic Shimano stuff is fine). If you've got a gear range that goes from easy to hard, a drivetrain that's well serviced, and the bike fits, you can get a great workout. Smart trainers in good condition are probably less than $100 on Craigslist or Facebook near you. Also, a dumb trainer is perfectly fine too, they worked for decades before smart trainers came along; just pedal harder for longer and eventually you'll be stronger and faster with bigger lungs and heart.

Storage space taken up is one bike, the trainer that folds down to about 20" x 20" x 10", and the front wheel chock that's about 12" diameter x 5" deep. Setup and takedown is maybe 3 minutes each. Trainer tire is a good thing to have but makes the bike useless for outdoor riding.

If you have a laptop or convenient TV and a fan, you're good to go. This winter I watched Lord of the Rings, the Bourne movies, all the Riddick movies, a ton of documentaries, etc. Good engaging entertainment (and good weed) is key for me having a good time on the trainer.

Go for it! It's not the real thing but it's absolutely legitimate workout that you can challenge yourself with and enjoy.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 18, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

corona familiar posted:

thinking about getting a trainer so I can bike in the evenings after work without needing to pay so much attention to inattentive drivers or getting blown over by wind.

I try to bike on the weekends but I live in a tiny city apartment and bringing my heavy outdoor bike up and down the stairs would probably give me an excuse to slack off, so it would probably also involve getting some cheap Craigslist bike for dedicated indoor use

is it worth it? I've done some light research on both "wheel on" trainers and "direct drive" trainers and the reviews seem very mixed. they also seem pretty expensive new; secondhand would be a good option to get a feel for things

alternatively I could try and bike outside more during the week :yaycloud:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/09/zwift-hub-499-smart-trainer-hands-on-a-competition-killer.html

Trainers actually rule, probably the fastest way to get faster. Get direct drive for sure.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

Trainers are super loud and horrible to use. But having said that if you're one of the rare people that can use one for an hour every day you'll be buff as hell.

thanks for the heads up about the noise. I think ideally I would use this in the apartment, but I could also set it up in what little garage space I have if it came to that

interested in what you dislike about using a trainer. I've never used one before (only crappy gym stationary bikes years ago and biking outdoors) so I don't have a frame of reference

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Go for it! It's not the real thing but it's absolutely legitimate workout that you can challenge yourself with and enjoy.

amenenema posted:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/09/zwift-hub-499-smart-trainer-hands-on-a-competition-killer.html

Trainers actually rule, probably the fastest way to get faster. Get direct drive for sure.

thanks for the pointers! any opinions on the Kickr Core? I actually saw this link right before I posted and the banner at the top inspired me to write that post. I have an ELEMNT Bolt for rides so maybe it makes sense given it looks very comparable to the Zwift Hub? seems like the noise is comparable too

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 18, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

corona familiar posted:

interested in what you dislike about using a trainer. I've never used one before (only crappy gym stationary bikes years ago and biking outdoors) so I don't have a frame of reference

There's no air flowing over you so you're just pouring sweat. You're pushing as hard as you can but you're not going anywhere. There's no sense of speed or movement so you're just... dumping calories? I can ride at like 16-17mph for 100 miles but I'm toast after 5 minutes on a trainer because there's nothing to moderate it.

Hard to explain but its a feeling I get on a trainer exclusively.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

corona familiar posted:

interested in what you dislike about using a trainer.

I have a brain disease where the only riding that matters is when I can smell the outdoors, even if it smells like poo poo

I can't do trainer rides. My wife loves Zwift. I can't do it

If I'm not outside my brain shuts it down

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Salt Fish posted:

Trainers are super loud and horrible to use. But having said that if you're one of the rare people that can use one for an hour every day you'll be buff as hell.

Um, modern wheel-off trainers are effectively silent. The only thing you'll be able to hear is your cooling fans.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

corona familiar posted:

thanks for the pointers! any opinions on the Kickr Core? I actually saw this link right before I posted and the banner at the top inspired me to write that post. I have an ELEMNT Bolt for rides so maybe it makes sense given it looks very comparable to the Zwift Hub? seems like the noise is comparable too

I have a Tacx Flux S so no experience w the Core - from the article it sounds like it's a good option if you have to have the Climb add-on??

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TobinHatesYou posted:

Um, modern wheel-off trainers are effectively silent. The only thing you'll be able to hear is your cooling fans.

:shrug: I have a kurt kinetic probably 2008ish fluid one

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Salt Fish posted:

:shrug: I have a kurt kinetic probably 2008ish fluid one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26rJzrSbR7c&t=456s

Combine a modern wheel-off trainer with a Lasko blower and you might not wake a baby in the same room.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I bought a Kickr Core from REI when it was on sale for $450 a few weeks ago. My only comparison is the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll it replaced, so all I can say is that the Kickr is A LOT quieter than the Kurt Kinetic. I'm loving the Kickr so far, FWIW.

There's a trainer thread too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933908

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have a trainer set up in front of a window in a garage and it really helps me get through PNW winters, but I don't look at it otherwise

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I have a swift hub. It's brainless but it's good for dumping calories as was mentioned. If you can actually ride the thing it's great for any time the weather is cold/hot/windy/whatever. Definitely use a fan to keep you cool.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

thanks everyone! definitely would plan to have a (couple of) fans if I do set this up at home. seems like if noise is comparable to fans it won't be too bad? it's not like I don't already have air purifiers running :coronatoot:

aha, thanks. I had this thread bookmarked but not the other one. I'll go check it out

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 18, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just sold my Masi bike, which was too small for me. I'm looking at some new options and wanted feedback.

Budget - probably 3500. this is a bike that will very rarely be locked up, as I have a crappy single speed for short trips.
Bike type - not strictly road - I will mostly be on pavement, but also dirt trails and such.
Gears - Not 100% on geared vs. single speed. I listed a single speed option below. My single speed is 40/18. I'm in Minneapolis so there is very little elevation change. I like the lower maintenance and price of single speed.
Sizing - I've already tried bikes from All-City and Felt - my frame since there is 55 and 56 respectively.
Tires - my previous bike has 700x35c Clements which I really liked. I think generally 32-40 range is good for my purposes.
Brakes - hydraulic disc is preferred

I'm also really into ~design~ so the color of the bike and such will be more important to me and most people.

Here are the bikes I wanted feedback on in order of price! especially what you think of the price for the bike. thanks!

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse_tiagra (1800)

pros: price, love the color!
cons: tiagra isn't that great (hence the price I guess), I don't think the brakes are hydraulic (?)

https://feltbicycles.com/products/broam-adventure-bike?variant=39766204350582 (the 40 version, 1800)

pros: looks cool as hell (love the green!), GRX stuff
cons: has some cheaper components, which makes sense given the price.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse_grx (2100)

pros: nicer components than tiagra and only 300 more (apparently they just did a big price drop)
cons: giant loving tires mainly. also don't like the color

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/gravel-bikes/checkpoint/checkpoint-alr/checkpoint-alr-5/p/35172/?colorCode=white_black (2250)

pros: the blue/red color is probably my favorite paint, great components, holds 25 water bottles
cons: haven't tried it yet, but I have another LBS that sells trek.

https://feltbicycles.com/products/broam-adventure-bike?variant=39766204350582 (the 30 version, 2300)

pros: looks cool as hell (love the black/blue!), GRX stuff, nicer components overall
cons: 500 more than the 40 version, worth it? also need to check on availability

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_cross_single_speed (2300)

pros: single speed (?), looks cool, seems to have solid components (?)
cons: not sure if it's really designed for my needs, price

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion_grx (2900)

pros: looks cool as gently caress, everything on it seems to be high quality!
cons: price, but could be convinced!

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...lorCode=reddark (2900)

pros: price balance in between this and the one below
cons: well price as well, but not sure otherwise

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/gravel-bikes/checkpoint/checkpoint-sl/checkpoint-sl-5/p/35169/?colorCode=red_bluedark (3400)

pros: just look at this loving thing
cons: just look at the price of this loving thing

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2023

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
buy a rivendell

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

hard to go wrong with the "trek checkpoint" imo

e: i'm looking at picking up one myself! going to wait until 12 speed grx drops / bikes with apex etap become more commonly available though :frogbon:

Sphyre fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 19, 2023

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
One thing to note about the Checkpoint is it's definitely designed to be a long bike with a short stem, which will affect how the steering feels. The fit could be the same as a road bike, but it will have, I dunno, "touchier" steering? More responsive, but it's not the same at higher speeds. It'll be different and you want to be comfortable with it. Since there's a trek shop nearby, I'd recommend riding it and seeing how you like it first. If you do really like it, just get the nicest one your budget allows and enjoy with no regrets. That red SL5 if beautiful.

If you already have a single speed, I'd look at something with gears unless you want to go all in on single speed life. I would worry about one bike feeling like a nicer version of the other and not wanting to ride one or the other.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fish Cake posted:

buy a rivendell

New thread title

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anything will be better than my single speed, it's a piece of crap

i really like that internal storage on the fancy trek one, and it sounds like isospeed and a carbon frame are better for shock absorption (?)

one i forgot to list is the "basic" salsa warbird https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/2023-warbird-c-grx-600-1x

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 19, 2023

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Any tip for someone doing his first sportive next weekend ?
I don't know how much riding I should be doing this week, for trail running the suggestion is usualy a couple short easy runs and nothing in the last two days before the race.
For cycling though I see everything including a 3 hour ride on wednesday and a 1 hour ride the day before the race.

I've been ramping up to 160km/week in the last 6 weeks and before that I had a 4 week forced break (ankle in a cast) so doing a 3 hour ride just before such even seems counterproductive.

It's a 105km with 2300m of climbing including this bad boy that has me quite stressed

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

If you can do 160km in a week regularly, you should be fine doing that distance in a day as a one off. I would probably go for a few easy rides through this week and not worry too much about it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

If you can do 160km in a week regularly, you should be fine doing that distance in a day as a one off. I would probably go for a few easy rides through this week and not worry too much about it.

Distance wise, it’s really just not overdoing it early and burning your legs, and keeping fuelled throughout.

Eat extra carbs the day before, the night before and a decent carb heavy breakfast.
Some sugar in your bottles, real food at the aid stations, eat more than you think you need.

That climb looks fun, but if you have sensible gearing you can go as slow as you like on the less steep parts and save your real effort for the ramps.
Make sure you stand occasionally to stretch your legs and use slightly different muscles.

For the really steep bits, if you’re struggling, another helpful tactic is to weave back and forth across the road, reducing the effective gradient a little bit.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I tried eating 60 grams of carb per hour during my last long (flat-ish) ride and it was tough to eat every 20min but the effect was very noticeable.
Wasn't too tired at the end and more importantly I didn't feel like I needed to eat EVERYTHING that I could lay my hands on. So I will definitely do the same.

I have 34-34 gears so I do intend to pace myself, so I can hopefuly survive the 7-8km tough part.

I'll do the running way then and just do a couple 30km easy ride this week.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did have a question about frames, is carbon fiber always the best (if price is no issue)? I'm surprised that with all-city even there most expensive models are steel. maybe that's just how they do all their bikes though

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion_rival_axs_wide
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I did have a question about frames, is carbon fiber always the best (if price is no issue)? I'm surprised that with all-city even there most expensive models are steel. maybe that's just how they do all their bikes though

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion_rival_axs_wide
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra

This article is an excellent breakdown of your question.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/bike-frame-materials/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
All city bikes are all steel.

A nice steel or titanium frame can cost more than a carbon frame. Carbon is generally always going to be lighter though.

The carbon checkpoints get the little isospeed deal and storage box and a carbon seatpost. But the alr5 is definitely a better value. 2250 should be the price at least through july since they keep extending "trekfest"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks. i'm going to be trying a few checkpoints and also a salsa warbird later this week

biggest thing for me is probably comfort over whatever kind of terrain i'm on

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

actionjackson posted:

thanks. i'm going to be trying a few checkpoints and also a salsa warbird later this week

biggest thing for me is probably comfort over whatever kind of terrain i'm on

Tire clearance matters like 3x as much as any other factor (besides suspension, I suppose) for comfort. Frame material alone doesn't mean much of anything. One of the harshest riding bikes I've ever been on was steel.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
That would be a matter of your contact points. Having ridden almost everything except wood I often find their qualities are comparable in terms of comfort. It’s more a factor of your tire width, your saddle and fit, and the quality and arrangement of the materials in your bike.

On bici’s point one of my friends bought a steel face frame and was surprised how much more stiff and harsh it was than a climbing carbon bike he has.

My carbon race bike is as comfortable as my titanium endurance bike and that has a lot to do with the 30mm tires on each.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 19, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bicievino posted:

Tire clearance matters like 3x as much as any other factor (besides suspension, I suppose) for comfort. Frame material alone doesn't mean much of anything. One of the harshest riding bikes I've ever been on was steel.

by clearance you mean the space between the tire and the frame? why would that impact comfort?

also is isospeed pretty solid or overhyped? i know salsa offers something similar with their "Class 5™ Vibration Reduction System."

i do like the 1x simplicity of the salsa bike. i'm not going to be in any situation where I need 2x really, which I think of more for big elevation changes, or maybe for racing (?)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 19, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jamal posted:

All city bikes are all steel.

:actually: they still sell the Thunderdome in aluminum.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

steel is real

a bombproof material that rides nice, can take racks and fenders, and will last a lifetime

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

actionjackson posted:

by clearance you mean the space between the tire and the frame? why would that impact comfort?

They mean clearance for tyres i.e., space to fit wider tyres into the frame since that's what gives the most comfort

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnmijEssO8r/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA== that's a fat bike btw

Good steel bikes are good and bad steel bikes are bad. There's nothing special in the material to stop eg. Surly from designing bad chainstays. The same goes for every other tube in the frame. Anything that has touring and racks in mind is also not gonna ride lively without them (or it's scary loaded).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ah ok that makes sense. these two bikes have 40 and 42mm, so a decent width.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kimbo305 posted:

:actually: they still sell the Thunderdome in aluminum.

after i posted i saw you could also get a titanium cosmic stallion frame.

And yeah without suspension it's mostly tires and pressures. But there is some frame compliance despite what some internet videos might say about how triangles don't flex at all and it doesn't matter. And it also isn't even material specific as a steel frame can ride worse than a carbon one and a carbon frame can ride worse than aluminum depending on how they're made. One interesting example is that my old orbea carbon cx bike was way harsher to ride than my aluminum caad 9 on the same wheels/tires/pressures.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 19, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In my very limited experience it seems the majority of the (non tyre) compliance is in the fork, stem and seat post. I've gone from an old-timey road bike with a solid spring steel fork where you could see the fork visibly flex just by hopping in place, to an older alloy bike where the fork was hollow chromoly and you could feel flex over big disturbances, to a newer alloy bike with a carbon blade fork where there is no discernible flex at all. My surly is somewhere between the last two, which makes sense to me as it has a chromoly fork built very heavily. This lines up pretty well with my prior knowledge about materials and suspension.

I think any flex in a bike frame will largely be lateral, which you'll feel mostly as instability wobbles over bumps at high speed. The only bikes I've ridden where the frame flexed in the vertical axis were old ladies bikes, Raleigh 20's etc that simply didn't have any kind of triangle and put you entirely at the mercy of the down tube's questionable rigidity.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks!

is there any major disadvantage to a 1x over a 2x, given i'm not going to be dealing with much in terms of elevation change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i havent tried a 1x system but i dont think i would like the large-ish jumps between each of the gears. but a lot of people seem to like it so :shrug: