Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

I think there's something like 2400 mini LED backlights (for however million pixels*), so yeah I guess for large enough pure black parts of the screen they'll just be off. I have no clue how much difference it makes though. And it's not like the only other usage would be full blast white. So real world would be a...gray area.

according to Apple it's ~10K mini-LEDs for the 16" model, which has about 7.7M pixels (3456x2234).

I don't think they get to partially turn on a dimming zone when only one or two pixels in that zone are lit - each zone probably has to be on bright enough to match its brightest pixel. So yeah, probably not seeing huge power savings unless there's large areas of pure black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BobHoward posted:

according to Apple it's ~10K mini-LEDs for the 16" model, which has about 7.7M pixels (3456x2234).

I don't think they get to partially turn on a dimming zone when only one or two pixels in that zone are lit - each zone probably has to be on bright enough to match its brightest pixel. So yeah, probably not seeing huge power savings unless there's large areas of pure black.

with that said there are over 2500 separate dimming zones on the screen so it can add up even if half of them are lit

zhar
May 3, 2019

quite a few areas of pure black

using some random example code

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you can probably figure out exactly what the difference by messing around with powermetrics. or the power section in the about your mac

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Doc Fission posted:

Should I go in on AppleCare+ as well? OP says yes but OP is quite old

I'd strongly encourage you to look at the display replacement cost (or the "all other repairs" cost which gets invoked for water damage/etc) with and without applecare, the yearly and 3y cost, and think about how long you're going to keep it. Think about what would happen if you had no accidents, one accident, etc.

imo with a regular mini/studio/pro it's probably not worth it, but life happens with phones and laptops. I worked it out last year when I started looking at MBPs and basically if you have one display replacement during 3 years you're coming out ahead on the MBPs (the 120 hz XDR display is genuinely fairly expensive) and almost breaking even on the MBA.

In terms of total cost it still may not be worth insuring a base-spec model especially for MBAs - if you're spending $500 in premiums and repairs either way on a $700 laptop... just accept that it's ablative and sell it for parts if you end up breaking it. Or buy it for the first year just-in-case so you don't have to eat a pair of laptop purchases in a row if you drop it your first week.

if you are doing a high-spec model then yes, get the applecare, because your replacement cost is now much higher. If you are saving a $2000 or $3000 laptop, then even a $700 bill makes sense. I think if you're doing a well-configured MBA (16/512, 16/1TB, 24/1TB, etc) or even a base-tier MBP 14"/16" you're probably tipping into being better off taking it, and if you are buying a 32/1TB or 64/1TB MBP or whatever then get it for sure.

If this is your first apple laptop then maybe think about going yearly on the applecare and you can cancel it if you want to upgrade later. I ended up being really unsatisfied with 256GB and am upgrading after about a year, so I'd have lost if I bought a 3y plan. On the other hand I never would have gotten over the sticker-shock of a $2000 or $2500 laptop without using the MBA first either.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 18, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd strongly encourage you to look at the display replacement cost (or the "all other repairs" cost which gets invoked for water damage/etc) with and without applecare, the yearly and 3y cost, and think about how long you're going to keep it. Think about what would happen if you had no accidents, one accident, etc.

imo with a regular mini/studio/pro it's probably not worth it, but life happens with phones and laptops. I worked it out last year when I started looking at MBPs and basically if you have one display replacement during 3 years you're coming out ahead on the MBPs (the 120 hz XDR display is genuinely fairly expensive) and almost breaking even on the MBA.

In terms of total cost it still may not be worth insuring a base-spec model especially for MBAs - if you're spending $500 in premiums and repairs either way on a $700 laptop... just accept that it's ablative and sell it for parts if you end up breaking it. Or buy it for the first year just-in-case so you don't have to eat a pair of laptop purchases in a row if you drop it your first week.

if you are doing a high-spec model then yes, get the applecare, because your replacement cost is now much higher. If you are saving a $2000 or $3000 laptop, then even a $700 bill makes sense. I think if you're doing a well-configured MBA (16/512, 16/1TB, 24/1TB, etc) or even a base-tier MBP 14"/16" you're probably tipping into being better off taking it, and if you are buying a 32/1TB or 64/1TB MBP or whatever then get it for sure.

If this is your first apple laptop then maybe think about going yearly on the applecare and you can cancel it if you want to upgrade later. I ended up being really unsatisfied with 256GB and am upgrading after about a year, so I'd have lost if I bought a 3y plan. On the other hand I never would have gotten over the sticker-shock of a $2000 or $2500 laptop without using the MBA first either.

This is the insanely annoying part about apple though - the costs are driven by the upgrades a lot more than the actual model itself. A MBA with 16GB or 24GB and a 1TB or 2TB SSD is pretty expensive, actually you are into base-tier MBP for that price! And with the focus on Applecare, it's definitely a good idea to insure something like that. $359 (edu pricing) to knock $400 off the cost of a MBP screen repair is a reasonable bet. And that means that ideally you want to buy a laptop and hold onto it for 3+ years so that you get the most out of your applecare. But with the fixed cost of applecare + a decent laptop spec, there's also not really much savings from dropping the memory/storage down... for example I was showing numbers earlier and going from 64/1TB Max down to 32/512GB Pro only really saves you about $500 in the total bill (laptop + 3y applecare). If you're spending $2600 after-tax on a laptop you might as well spend $3100 and get the config that'll keep you happy longer.

The whole thing is extremely financialized in terms of trying to guess how long you will keep it, how many accidents you will have, and what kinds of specs you actually need so that you don't get frustrated and replace it early. The cliffnotes is that base tier is great even for a throwaway, going up one or two tiers on the memory and storage (16/512 on MBA or 32/1TB on MBP) is usually fine if you intend to keep it for a while, but if you need more than that Apple is gonna rake you over the coals. And if you cheap out you'll end up with a frustrating system (I am not happy with 256GB even as a "thin client").

that’s a lotta words to be like “the MacBook Air you buy today will justify the doubly expensive MacBook Pro you buy in 3-10 years”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again: Personal Articles insurance policy. It may or may not be a good fit for you but it’s worth checking out.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s a lotta words to be like “the MacBook Air you buy today will justify the doubly expensive MacBook Pro you buy in 3-10 years”

When it comes to reading Paul MaudDib posts, all I'm gonna say is...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

When it comes to reading Paul MaudDib posts, all I'm gonna say is...

my guy, Ice Phisherman used to post here

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The important thing that everyone needs to understand about insurance in general is that it very rarely pays for itself - that’s kinda the point; it’s how they make money from it. You’re trading manageable recurring payments vs the chance of a large, unexpected payment in the future that you might not be able to manage and you’re pretty much always going to pay more overall in the long run with insurance.

So what you need to ask yourself is; can I afford (or put myself into the position where I could afford) the worst case scenario of something going wrong with the thing I’m insuring. If the answer is yes; then paying for insurance is dumb; and you’ll be much better off just setting aside the money needed to replace the thing and sticking it in a high interest saving account or some other highly liquid investment like a stock market ETF.

The cheaper the thing is, the less need there is to get it insured.

The overwhelming majority of people will never be in a position to just casually pay for hospital bills if something awful happens to them (at least given how much that sort of thing costs in the US) so they get health insurance. Most people probably aren’t in a position to set aside $30k in case something happens to their car - but many can.

On the other hand, a fairly large proportion of people absolutely could come up with $2k or so for a new phone/laptop etc and if this is you then spending extra on insurance is just really dumb.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yea in strictly monetary terms insurance is usually a bad deal. That’s the whole point of insurance. You will probably pay far more than you get out. You are paying to not have to be so stressed about your expensive portable device. Much like with on the iPhone, you will probably nanny it less if you have insurance on it. Compared to other forms of insurance, apple care is fairly well integrated as part of the whole ecosystem so certain things are way more convenient if sometning does happen (no long phone calls and forms to fill out). Doesn’t cover theft though. Buy it if you think it will put you at ease. That’s all there really is to it.

edit: that's not me saying you should definitlely get it, and people who act like its a must for everyone are crazy imo. I've had phones/laptops/whatever that have lived out their lives beyond their warranties with zero damage/problems/etc, and some that haven't. I had no insurance on my pixel phone, I kept it in a pocket with my keys, and I scratched the top of the screen in the second month of having it. I've had my iphone for almost a year and there's the tiniest scratch on the bezel and that's it. I guess with a laptop screen protection is part of the design. These things seem pretty well built. Are you really going to want to pay a premium to replace a scratched outer chassis in 3 years?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 18, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty funny that the Mac Pro isn't even on display anymore in the stores, or at least my local one. There's a maxed-out Studio there to appeal to the kind of people who used to buy the biggest baddest Mac on the block, and the Mac Pro has solidly ascended into "if you're in the market for one of these things, you don't need to see it in a store" territory

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Do they have/are they going to have the virtual reality glasses things in store?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Do they have/are they going to have the virtual reality glasses things in store?

They are supposed to be an Apple Watch Edition style demo experience, where you get to test it only in certain stores under very strict gatekeeping.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Can anyone recommend a cheap + reliable continuity camera mount for a desktop monitor? My monitor is curved so it's a little chunky at the back, so it'd need to have a bit of give. It's the last thing I need for my home office!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mediaphage posted:

you can probably figure out exactly what the difference by messing around with powermetrics. or the power section in the about your mac

Powermetrics is only for SoC power, won't tell you anything about the screen.

Stats (and probably other similar tools) can display "System Total" power, and it shows the influence of blacked out display area on my 16". Contrary to my earlier speculation, looks like big gray areas use less power than pure white.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Powermetrics is only for SoC power, won't tell you anything about the screen.

Stats (and probably other similar tools) can display "System Total" power, and it shows the influence of blacked out display area on my 16". Contrary to my earlier speculation, looks like big gray areas use less power than pure white.

ahh it’s been forever since i triggered it and couldn’t remember if it doled out total system power or not, thanks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a way to stop my GPU fan from rubbing against the NVMe SSD immediately above it in my 5,1 tower?

I bit the bullet and just bought another RX580 since I know that model works in my machine. Success, but its fan is grinding against the SSD in the bay immediately above it and it's very annoying and probably not good for either component.

Thanks again!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Posting from my 15" 16GB MacBook Air. poo poo's great thanks goons.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the TV spot where the cursor breaks free of the screen and pulls the edge of the MBA out to 15" is exactly the sort of thing that reminds you why Apple is the boss of the industry

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posting from my 2008 MacBook Pro 15". Running 10.14 since that's the last version that still had working keyboard backlight for some reason. Plus 10.15 and higher just run really bad anyway so no point trying to fix the keyboard backlight past 10.14. Dosdude even recommends running 10.8 on the 2008 for speed.

Just bought a lightly used replacement original battery for a song. Looks like its still pretty good after 15yr. 68 cycles and then put back into the box. Might have been a return?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

For those of you in multi laptop households and using the magic trackpad:

I'm debating grabbing a MTB to put in our guest room/secondary office for use by me and the Mrs with our Macbooks and any guests that stay with us. Does the MTP play well when used in a dock setup? The docs implies that it will default to wired communications when actually plugged in so I presume so.

Additionally, does the MTP work well, or at all, on Windows? I don't really care about or need fancy support, just basic trackpad functionality should someone with a Windows laptop make use of the dock. (E- this looks like it can work with a community driver, but these are going to largely be work laptops so I'm that's likely not an option.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Warbird posted:

For those of you in multi laptop households and using the magic trackpad:

I'm debating grabbing a MTB to put in our guest room/secondary office for use by me and the Mrs with our Macbooks and any guests that stay with us. Does the MTP play well when used in a dock setup? The docs implies that it will default to wired communications when actually plugged in so I presume so.

Additionally, does the MTP work well, or at all, on Windows? I don't really care about or need fancy support, just basic trackpad functionality should someone with a Windows laptop make use of the dock. (E- this looks like it can work with a community driver, but these are going to largely be work laptops so I'm that's likely not an option.)

it's lovely in windows regardless of drivers imo but it definitely works

what's an mtb

the thing about the trackpads, switching wirelessly would be a pain but if you left it plugged in and plugged in your macbooks when you swap it'll work fine. you could also just mouse with the macbook trackpad up to the bluetooth icon and switch but that's a pain imo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So this issue with my MP tower has taken another bizarre turn.

The GPU is fine, but once again I came home and when I booted up I got the multilingual welcome screen that leads into "lmao can't find your boot volume here are some options."

Breakdown: Two NVMe SSDs live on my PCI bus above my GPU; one of them is my boot volume and the other carries some fast audio resources like drum hits and loops. Two SSDs live in my optical bay, one of them is more audio resources and the other is my DJ library. Four 6TB HDDs live in the drive bays and their purposes are varied from more audio resources to archives of installers, to a Time Machine backup.

The 'fix' that got my computer to recognize its boot SSD again and start up normally, was to pull every other drive but the NVMe SSDs. Trying process of elimination this time, I put in drives one by one and started up to see if I could replicate the issue.

Turns out the Time Machine backup HDD that lives in the rearmost drive bay, when connected, causes the machine to think those NVMe drives are both non-existent. I can plug it into a different bay, and I can put a different HDD in the rearmost bay, but that drive in that bay is the combo that nukes my boot sequence.

I can't for the life of me figure it out. At least it's a troubleshot problem now, and Im sure I can deal with wiping that HDD and starting anew, but this machine worked flawlessly (for a teenage Mac) up until the other week when my GPU cooked itself and then I started getting these other startup issues.

Could this be a PSU problem? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

mediaphage posted:

what's an mtb

A typo in this case. Good to know though, thanks for the info. I may use use an extra wired mouse for now and pick up a trackpad if/when some go on sale (lol, lmao).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mister Speaker posted:

:words:

I can't for the life of me figure it out. At least it's a troubleshot problem now, and Im sure I can deal with wiping that HDD and starting anew, but this machine worked flawlessly (for a teenage Mac) up until the other week when my GPU cooked itself and then I started getting these other startup issues.

Could this be a PSU problem? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

In my experience if a HDD pulls even the slightest amount above what Apple considers industry standard, it will throw your MP 5,1 out of whack

Once I solved a similar issue by pulling one of those old SeaGate E-Z bake drives (those models that ran super hot) out and replacing it with a slimmer drive of equal capacity.

It's funny because most 5,1s came with 1 KW power supplies, yet putting in a hard drive that maybe draws 4-10 W over will bring everything to a halt

Even the 2019 Intel MPs have a 1.28 KW power supply.

It's also possible that the drive you installed had a firmware revision that was incompatible with the BootROM / OS which can also plunge you into hanging boot hell.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 23, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Binary Badger posted:

In my experience if a HDD pulls even the slightest amount above what Apple considers industry standard, it will throw your MP 5,1 out of whack

Once I solved a similar issue by pulling one of those old SeaGate E-Z bake drives (those models that ran super hot) out and replacing it with a slimmer drive of equal capacity.

It's funny because most 5,1s came with 1 KW power supplies, yet putting in a hard drive that maybe draws 4-10 W over will bring everything to a halt

Even the 2019 Intel MPs have a 1.28 KW power supply.

It's also possible that the drive you installed had a firmware revision that was incompatible with the BootROM / OS which can also plunge you into hanging boot hell.

Thanks for so consistently replying to my queries, I appreciate your help.

The drive has lived in that bay since like 2018, I haven't installed any hardware recently.

The only change I can think of is that I also started archiving photos on the HDD that acts as a TM backup, but that was a few weeks before poo poo started going haywire.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone here know about apple pencils?

Need to get one as a gift for my niece.

She has an ipad 7th generation. Mw792ll/a

Is the second gen pencil compatible?

If so i’m wondering if its worth buying over the first gen pencil.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

They’re not interchangeable. If it’s the lightning port (base model) iPad with rounded sides (ie no magnetic charging for the Pencil) then it’s Gen 1

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ChocNitty posted:

Mk1 pencil is what you want. Mk2 pencil is for pro, air and mini.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I used a bit of glass cleaner to clean the eye on the magic mouse, but now it's not working anymore. i've done this before without issue so who knows. i'm not sure what the best way to clean it is

edit: i took it apart, but it back together, it started working again but only for a minute

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 27, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Lord Bude posted:

So what you need to ask yourself is; can I afford (or put myself into the position where I could afford) the worst case scenario of something going wrong with the thing I’m insuring. If the answer is yes; then paying for insurance is dumb; and you’ll be much better off just setting aside the money needed to replace the thing and sticking it in a high interest saving account or some other highly liquid investment like a stock market ETF.

That's literally what I'm saying to do - look at the costs if you actually need a repair. A tier-1 accidental damage claim on a Retina laptop (including both Air and MBP) is $455, up to $755 at tier 4.[/url]. Or you can pay $179-229 (MBA) or $279-399 (MBP) and turn that into a $100 repair for 3 years. Literally one claim over 3 years puts you ahead with either MBA or MBP, and with MBP you are going to come out significantly ahead (net positive expected value if you have more than 1 claim per 6 years on average).

https://www.gophermods.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-replace-a-macbook-screen-at-the-apple-store/

https://thewiredshopper.com/macbook-screen-replacement-cost/

Obviously yes, if you do not need to make a claim, or you want to eat the risk yourself, it's better to not buy it! But laptops get used and moved and dropped.

The Lord Bude posted:

The important thing that everyone needs to understand about insurance in general is that it very rarely pays for itself - that’s kinda the point; it’s how they make money from it. You’re trading manageable recurring payments vs the chance of a large, unexpected payment in the future that you might not be able to manage and you’re pretty much always going to pay more overall in the long run with insurance.

This doesn't apply to Apple for a number of reasons, starting with the fact they run their repair/service division at a loss. They're also the sole parts supplier (they confiscate parts shipments coming into the US actually) and more or less the sole authorized repair agent too.

Apple isn't just an insurance agent telling you to go to a bodyshop who provides competitive market rates, they're actually the repair agent too, and from their perspective they have to balance the cost of maintaining a network of retail locations+staff, the cost of the parts and (extremely long-term) availability, and turn that into a smooth revenue number. The cost of a high-end 16" 3K/120 Hz/1000 nit screen is greater than $100 per incident to begin with, plus the labor and network costs, etc. When you walk into a store and ask for a new screen they have to balance all those costs, while when you buy applecare they're smoothed for apple too, and there's financial value for them in that too.

Which is to say - I don't doubt they run their repair/service division at a loss. Yeah, they make a profit if you walk in and want a $799 screen put on your MBP. Not every customer will have a claim though, and they need to charge a price that sustains the retail network despite that, and if you're not buying applecare you have to pay to support the network for the other 2-3 people who didn't have claims. $399+$100 deductible actually probably is pretty close to break-even for the expected cost of 1 screen and 3 years of retail network presence to install it, and sometimes they will have selection bias that means applecare customers tend to incur multiple incidents. I would generally expect that from their side Apple is roughly making the same profit whether you buy the insurance or not - Profit(Bought Applecare|Makes an average number of covered claims) is probably roughly equal to Profit(Didn't buy Applecare|makes an average number of uncovered repairs). That is the sensible way for them to structure their pricing from their side too, make the same money regardless of how you choose. And that's different from an insurer where they aren't making any money on the other side if you don't buy the plan - because apple's number can be negative, as long as it's equally negative on both sides, or it can be positive on walkins and heavily negative on insurance buyers (apple incentivizing participation in the program).

Again - they run at a loss, the hardware subsidizes the repair network, so their expected profit has to be negative overall, and they’re not losing money on the side of the person who walks in and they charge them $800. So where does that leave apple’s expected value on the other side, the people who do buy applecare? That side has to be negative, they’re losing money on average when you buy the insurance.

Again, it’s incredibly weird to say that, but it’s an insurance/repair program that intentionally loses money, why wouldn’t it be weird? Functionally it’s more like social security than an insurance plan, it’s not intended to make a profit. You want people paying into social security and that means disincentivizing non-participation, which you do by giving non-participation a negative expected value - just like penalties for cashing out your retirement.

But why are you going to do - have your laptop repaired by a third party with the screens that apple is interdicting at customs? Lol. Apple can effectively compel participation by controlling the parts supply and creating a negative EV for non-participants, independent of overall profit on the program. It’s totally, completely different from a regular old insurer on every level.

But again, ignoring whether you believe the "runs at a loss" part, just looking at the actual numbers here, break-even is 1 screen replacement per 6 years on a MBP. If you have one claim over 3 years, you double your money. Particularly for up-configured MBPs it really does make sense in general, because otherwise they have you over the barrel for an $800 repair or you lose the use of your $2500-3000 laptop. If you have edu pricing, $360 upfront to make that go away for 3 years is not unreasonable on a portable device you're going to be carrying and moving. In that case you're self-selecting as making a higher-than-average number of repairs, most likely.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 27, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

This doesn't apply to Apple for a number of reasons, starting with the fact they run their repair/service division at a loss. They're also the sole parts supplier (they confiscate parts shipments coming into the US actually) and more or less the sole authorized repair agent too.

In general I agree with your post Paul, but I would be very skeptical of using a 4-year old article, one that was written during one of the peak periods of Apple's attempts to kill the freedom to repair laws, as backup data for your argument here.

Apple is very particular and good at extracting the maximum amount of revenue out of its customers, and puts significant emphasis on quarterly profit, to the point that they'll expand into another demographic they might not otherwise have, if it means maintaining growth and/or not utilizing the "service/product/etc. at a loss" methodology (a perfect example of this was the iTunes store and the original iPods being macOS-only).

If they were actually taking a loss on repairs, they wouldn't have expanded the AppleCare program to not only cover accidental drops/etc., as a standard, but also created a monthly payment option that allows continuous coverage past the original 2-years that AppleCare covered with the one-time payment.

Sure, on any given repair, it may be much more than one the person had paid into the program at that point in time, including with the deductible that is required, but it's insurance: it's subsidized by the totality of those paying into it, and so it clearly must be beneficial to Apple's financial planning, otherwise they wouldn't have been making the improvements to it over time that, if anything, should be even more costly to them.

So yeah, I don't actually believe that Apple is taking a loss by-and-large with the AppleCare program.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The article is also mainly about how people doubt that apple is actually losing money on their repair business and may be doing some creative accounting since they gave no details whatsoever.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

Oh wait, more questions!!! I use Firefox but with a million privacy extensions like paywall bypass stuff, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, etc. Are such things available on Safari or should I download Firefox?

that's part of why i like firefox. all sorts of poo poo to cover up how terrible the internet is. noscript and ublock origin are the two i use the most

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SourKraut posted:

In general I agree with your post Paul, but I would be very skeptical of using a 4-year old article, one that was written during one of the peak periods of Apple's attempts to kill the freedom to repair laws, as backup data for your argument here.

So yeah, I don't actually believe that Apple is taking a loss by-and-large with the AppleCare program.

powderific posted:

The article is also mainly about how people doubt that apple is actually losing money on their repair business and may be doing some creative accounting since they gave no details whatsoever.

More recently, independent repair shops seem to agree that charging the rates apple charges results in a breakeven or loss. Same for the independent shops losing money installing self-service-repair parts. That’s framed as a bad thing but it’s actually just confirmation that they’re running the division at a loss, and people just can’t bring themselves to admit it.

I truly don’t see why there’s a reason to race into “well apple must be overcharging for the parts then!”. No, they’re not, their parts are high-quality and expensive as poo poo, that’s what they cost. Instead, they were and are running the repair division at a loss. They’re dumping on the normal repairs, not gouging on self-service.

If apple was overcharging end-users for parts after launching self-service, it would be both incredibly easy for EU investigators to figure out, and devastating to their defense against right to repair.

They’re charging self-service customers their internal prices, but running their applecare repair labor/overhead at a loss. And that’s where the “we can’t do this at apples prices!” comes from. Apple is actually dumping, they’re running the labor/overhead at a loss.

People are assuming it must be overcharging for parts because theres no way they could have just been telling the truth all along. Why would you run the division at a loss?

Answer: As a form of corporate responsibility to make up for your lovely brittle laptops and repeated design flaws, and as a way to establish and subsidize a retail presence that makes you profit in other ways. They make the profit on charging you $400 for a TB of flash, not the repair when you break it. And getting your device back working again means they don’t have to pay to recycle it either. Even if you trade it in or recycle it, Apple will pay to fix it and it’ll end up in Africa or India as a refurb.

So again: it’s a weird situation where they’re anti-right-to-repair but also have the longest software support and hardware repair lifecycles, and are subsidizing the repairs to customers devices and running that division at a loss, to force people into their stores. And they have “perverse incentives” to keep devices working because of their robust recycling programs and refurb/developing-market sales programs. Apple is loving weird, they are masters of the “total lifecycle” thinking. Tim Apple being Tim Apple, the supply-chain mastermind.

In a way they are doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons, but there’s also a healthy dose of lovely behavior (interdicting parts) and bad product design (ribbon cable failures, butterfly KB, etc) thrown in. But otoh Samsung or Motorola don’t give a poo poo about the repair and support lifecycle of their devices either, they’re happy to drop support 3 years after launch and have your phone end up in a landfill. They’re doing the wrong things for the right reasons, but they’re not having customs seizing parts shipments either.

But at the end of the day, e-waste is reduced by apples way compared to Samsung or Motorola, even if it means Louis Rossman can’t operate his business without the subsidies that apple gives to their own repair network. Very weird set of incentives and loops - should you tolerate dumping if what’s being dumped is repair labor that keeps e-waste out of landfills? That’s their defense against right-to-repair, they are legitimately honestly running repairs at a loss - because it means they get a massive retail network free of charge on the backs of those subsidized repairs. And the inability of independent repair places to match their labor/overhead even with self-service parts at internal pricing shows that it's not just a book loss/shuffling money around, they really are tipping repairs into an actual operating loss.

Just like shipping around two pelican cases of repair tools on loan to fix your phone wasn’t a stunt either… yes, they are legitimately losing money on that and they are fine with that. It’s something they can point to on R2R and costs them very little since most people will prefer the experts to do it below-cost instead.

And that's all completely different from a normal insurance underwriter who needs to make an expected return on average for each contract in a competitive, free market. The underwriter can't sell you airpods when you come in for your $100 screen replacement (marked down from $800), or sell someone else a macbook in the store your applecare premium helped to keep open.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 27, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Apple makes up the repair costs with people buying Apple Care when they probably don't need it, yeah?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mister Facetious posted:

Apple makes up the repair costs with people buying Apple Care when they probably don't need it, yeah?

No, apple’s expected value for the average customer taking applecare is negative. That’s what I’m saying - they generally do not care about making a profit on applecare or repairs in general.

They’re subsidizing repairs out of the initial hardware sale and out of store revenue, and that lets them operate a larger store network and make more sales than they otherwise would. And they are running an overall loss on the repair program as a result.

Also probably subsidized on the backs of people who didn’t buy applecare and have to pay $800 for a repair that costs apple $400 (parts/labor/overhead). I don’t doubt that they do make a profit on an $800 screen repair.

But that’s why indie shops can’t even break even on the labor if customers are bringing their own parts. Apple is subsidizing the labor/overhead on repairs significantly. Applecare is likely below-cost overall, $300 of parts on a 16” MBP doesn’t go all that far with apple’s BOM costs, a replacement miniLED screen is probably $200-250 alone (edit: $250 for the 16”). And the average consumer (or, average AppleCare purchaser) is quite likely to break their poo poo regularly, especially since MacBooks are kinda known for problems like ribbon cables and keyboard defects.

But yes, there are people who will buy it and not need it but apple loses pretty massively on any repeat customers who can’t stop dropping their phone, and those customers self-select for taking insurance. Overall the repair program running at a loss is completely believable and even substantiated by the indie shops losing money trying to match them.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It doesn’t matter whether or not Apple breaks even on it, it’s still a bad deal for anyone who can afford to pay for the repair or replacement themselves if something happens to their laptop because most people don’t break their laptops. It’s a trick to exploit people’s fear of something bad happening when the reality is for most people it’ll never happen, and even if it does for many people it’s not a big deal financially. If you’re that concerned just stick a couple grand in a savings account and leave it there, you’ll actually make money instead of wasting it and you’ll be able to cover yourself if something bad happens.