Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BMan posted:

Have you seriously never teamkilled anyone lol

I'm a good boy who has perfect aim :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
You only get kicked if you teamkill twice in the same match so the original post was a half-truth anyhow

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

It's fun to see a Pe-8 drop their bomb and immediately get kicked.

Unless it's on your team, I guess.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nah it's still great then because chat usually becomes entertaining for a second since most pubbies won't even realize the TKer has been kicked.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
anyone else finding sound is now hosed up in ground? There is a half second delay after i fire my cannon before it plays

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Sound is, was, and always will be hosed up in constantly evolving game-breaking ways. It's probably my single biggest long term complaint, over and above volumetric shells and spawn camping.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Look, the UI guy already has a full plate and here you all are asking for him to fix sounds.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
You can try the uninstall-clear steam cache-reinstall routine to fix sounds.
A lot of time it’s a client side folder that gets hosed up after a while.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

iv46vi posted:

You can try the uninstall-clear steam cache-reinstall routine to fix sounds.
A lot of time it’s a client side folder that gets hosed up after a while.

I'm on PS5. I wonder if that fixes it.

As an aside, its bullshit that the German tree can't scout at all. :/

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cimber posted:

I'm on PS5. I wonder if that fixes it.

As an aside, its bullshit that the German tree can't scout at all. :/

Where do you think the idea of a Steiner Scout Lance came from?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why does the WEP stop working around 3.4km on the Yak-3U and the La-7 engines but the Yak-9 can WEP to much higher altitudes? Was that just a quirk of the La-7?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
As I understand it, it was a quirk of the Yak-9. The Soviets had trouble producing good high-altitude engines for most of the war due to wartime prioritization and disruptions. Some of the Yak-9 variants came about after this had been solved and so their performance is comparable to the 190s and 109s.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just had the worst WTF death ever. I'm playing Sanda of Sinai in a M18 GMC. I see a german SPG with this huge very small stubby barrel. I get behind him when he's facing some rocks and take out his engine. Easy kill, right?

Nope. The fucker shoots the rocks in head of him and somehow the fragments of the shell come past him and kill my crew. I mean, smart play by his part but...

:dafuq:

[edit] Are bots becoming a problem? My next match I was against someone named AimBeBot who managed to rack up 12 kills and zero deaths. I'm not usually the one to point the finger and call someone a cheater, but the accuracy and the ability of him to find me when I was down below him moving fast in a M18 and behind concealment made me really suspicious.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 18, 2023

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Cimber posted:

Just had the worst WTF death ever. I'm playing Sanda of Sinai in a M18 GMC. I see a german SPG with this huge very small stubby barrel. I get behind him when he's facing some rocks and take out his engine. Easy kill, right?

Nope. The fucker shoots the rocks in head of him and somehow the fragments of the shell come past him and kill my crew. I mean, smart play by his part but...

The Sturmtiger? Could be possible depending on the angle.

quote:

[edit] Are bots becoming a problem? My next match I was against someone named AimBeBot who managed to rack up 12 kills and zero deaths. I'm not usually the one to point the finger and call someone a cheater, but the accuracy and the ability of him to find me when I was down below him moving fast in a M18 and behind concealment made me really suspicious.

Do you mean aimbots or just bots? I don't think bots are capable of really playing ground effectively enough to get a 12-0 killstreak. If you suspect someone of using an aimbot watch the replay and pay attention to their camera and gun movements. I wouldn't say detecting someone hidden close by is suspicious in and of itself as engine sounds can be loud and a dead giveaway depending on settings or headphones.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Punished Ape posted:

The Sturmtiger? Could be possible depending on the angle

Or a Brummbar, but I don't know if the explosion would be big enough

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I mean the m18 GMC is an open-top with real thin armour, right? Shrapnel from HE does go a fair bit, it's how I got an ASU that snuck in under the barrel depression of my tank once and I had just enough time to load HE and shoot the corner of the building I was next to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFESnIJoGOs

To be fair, this was super-close to me and ASU's have the armour of a bush, but still.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cimber posted:

I've also noticed an uptick in dudes pulling off constant insane shots. Most of the super obvious ones have been playing on a top tier premium, then dipping after a death or two so probably burner accounts. Keep in mind before they put in anti-cheat you'd see 2-3 obvious aimbotters on the other team trying to plink your heli from 5km out in every game, so this is still better than it was.

That said, like most games if somebody's hacking they probably just have radar/esp because it's less obvious and thus less likely to get them banned while still being a huge goddamn advantage.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Just wait until you play botes and there is one crew skill that is quite literally just your maximum HP

crew interchangeability? i think i've been leveling that simply because I read to do that somewhere, possibly the OP. I assumed it was speeding up a downtime when crew were killed. does the total amount of crew matter, like is it still good on small ships?

having played WoT i feel like i'm at least decent in ground arcade up to 6.0 in terms of mechanics, knowledge of the maps, recognizing most tanks strengths/weaknesses etc but air and especially naval are still mostly mysteries

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CODChimera posted:

crew interchangeability? i think i've been leveling that simply because I read to do that somewhere, possibly the OP. I assumed it was speeding up a downtime when crew were killed. does the total amount of crew matter, like is it still good on small ships?

having played WoT i feel like i'm at least decent in ground arcade up to 6.0 in terms of mechanics, knowledge of the maps, recognizing most tanks strengths/weaknesses etc but air and especially naval are still mostly mysteries

Yeah that's the skill. Your ship dies when it reaches 0% crew and without that skill it starts at 80% or something instead of 100%. Can't speak for smol botes, but on ships it's basically required

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:thunk:

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.
marxismftw you had one job. That was to stay alive until my AIM-9L hit you, and you failed me!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Cimber posted:

Just had the worst WTF death ever. I'm playing Sanda of Sinai in a M18 GMC.

lol i am trying to research this one because big gun with m93 shot.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Big Mackson posted:

Research it?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Cimber posted:

Research it?

unlock?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Big Mackson posted:

You won't regret it, the M18 is so fun I've spaded it on every tree it's on.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Q_res posted:

You won't regret it, the M18 is so fun I've spaded it on every tree it's on.

i spent some dollars and now i have M18 (and the rest of the gold i will dump on crew). a pure stock no modded M18 is fast and agile. Cant wait for m93 shot and engine upgrade.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Big Mackson posted:

i spent some dollars and now i have M18 (and the rest of the gold i will dump on crew). a pure stock no modded M18 is fast and agile. Cant wait for m93 shot and engine upgrade.

It's a fun little cruiser. I typically bring it out first and drive around flanking. Once enemy air appears you are going to have a lot more of a hard time with it, as they can easily kill you with normal bullets.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Big Mackson posted:

Cant wait for m93 shot and engine upgrade.

Actually you'll want to be running the M62, not the M93. I usually run 21 M62 rounds and 8-10 M93 just in case I see something the M62 can't pen. The M62 is a one-shot machine and will serve you better in general.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Q_res posted:

Actually you'll want to be running the M62, not the M93. I usually run 21 M62 rounds and 8-10 M93 just in case I see something the M62 can't pen. The M62 is a one-shot machine and will serve you better in general.

Yeah APCR in general is garbage due to its low post pen damage and high chance to ricochet. It's really only good for poking gunners on tanks you can't otherwise frontally penetrate before maneuvering to line up a shot with a shell that can actually do damage.

It doesn't hurt to get some practice with it because once you hit the 90mm cold war tanks you'll have to deal with the horror and pain that is stock APCR :shepicide:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah APCR in general is garbage due to its low post pen damage and high chance to ricochet. It's really only good for poking gunners on tanks you can't otherwise frontally penetrate before maneuvering to line up a shot with a shell that can actually do damage.

It doesn't hurt to get some practice with it because once you hit the 90mm cold war tanks you'll have to deal with the horror and pain that is stock APCR :shepicide:

Oh, can I add on that putting some points into driver crew skill a bit earlier than normal might not be a terrible idea, as mobility is important for this vehicle and you want to be able to accelerate as quickly as possible and turn with less reduction in speed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah that, the targeting skill under Gunner and the Loaders Reload skill is where all your points should be going. Also, don't be afraid to use the Scouting equipment to spot for your team. I can lock down half of Sun City just by spotting and some selective shooting in the Hellcat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Q_res posted:

Yeah that, the targeting skill under Gunner and the Loaders Reload skill is where all your points should be going. Also, don't be afraid to use the Scouting equipment to spot for your team. I can lock down half of Sun City just by spotting and some selective shooting in the Hellcat.

What does scouting actually do?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What does scouting actually do?

Shows the enemy on the minimap for everyone on your team for 30ish seconds. You get SL for scouting, and if someone kills or damages the enemy while that timer is on you get points for that as well. Very very useful both to help your team and earn you bucks.

Generally speaking, you want to scout the target just before you fire if you can. Because if you don't get an instakill at least your team knows and might be able to help you out.

Also, learning the art of binoc firing is also a skill worth doing for all tanks, but especially for the hellcat. If you don't know what that is, you go into binoc view, align your gun on the target from behind cover, see if your gun will actually hit the target or its obscured by the terrain. I also rangefind and then switch over to the gunner sight, set the target distance and then go back to binoc view. Line up the shot perfectly while holding down the fire button, then jump into the gunner sight to fire the gun. Switch immediately back to the binoc view and see where it hits.

Takes some practice to learn the muscle memory, but i find it is very effective.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 19, 2023

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Scouting also reduces the spawn point cost of planes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks! I've always scouted when I have the option and new it earned SL but the tooltips etc. are somewhat less than completely helpful.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Agility is another underrated skill - it reduces the time it takes for a dead crew member to be replaced by another one. Definitely comes after driver skill and gunner aim but it’s saved my bacon more than once.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

For open topped vehicles like the M18 you shouldn't overlook vitality either. You will inevitably end up receiving small splash damage from HE landing in your vicinity and it's gonna add up over time.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

YF-23 posted:

For open topped vehicles like the M18 you shouldn't overlook vitality either. You will inevitably end up receiving small splash damage from HE landing in your vicinity and it's gonna add up over time.

If there was a crew tht could use some golden eagles for skill points, its the M18.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crew points transfer over until you spend them. So you could play a bunch of matches on a different vehicle with that crew -- e.g. take your favorite plane into Air AB, rack up a bunch of points, then level up the tank crew skills.

Gaijin doesn't deserve your money, especially for the most pay-to-win system in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a better way to get crew points than grinding in gameplay and not paying GE for points? If play arcade does the crew points gain scale down or is it the same as RB crew gain?