Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

Since I rolled Geo as my first job and I use the chaos mod, I decided to go kill a random garula before even killing the story one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

LGBartzT wouldn't fit but I think this is better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I wanted to get the PR version to try to do a run but I am stuck between Switch and Steam. I want to play it on my Steam Deck, but I hear there is some sort of FPS issue. I know that the Switch version has sliders for XP, AP, Gil, and Random Encounters, but then that can be replicated with mods on PC.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Boring but eh!!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:toxx: gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! :toxx:

I like Blue Mage in FFV. I hate Blue Mage in FFXIV. Why? They both share an affection for useless dogshit spells with no purpose. Of the 104 blue magic spells in FFXIV, like thirty of them are near-identical Standard Cast Time, Standard Potency spells that basically all function interchangeably but you just ~have~ to go collect them all because one of your best cooldowns requires some loving Rareware-level "go collect all the tchotchkes" bullshit! gently caress that! It's dumb as poo poo!

So to protest this indignity, I'm putting similar restrictions on FFV because gently caress you, I can. You get a 24-spell palette to slot spells in as a Blue Mage in FFXIV, and a DPS-minded Blue Mage ends up with three open slots, but I'm gonna be nice and give you the full 24 because here's the toxx:

As a Blue Mage haver, complete your Fiesta run with a similar ratio of spells - that is, because 24 out of 104 is 23% of the spells, you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.

I know what seven I'd get, but I'm curious what you'll end up with. I can't give you a morbol mount, but I'll donate $2 to the charity for the first ten people who have the same "gently caress collectathons, actually" mindset I do.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Start of my upgrade run, and my first job is Black Mage. I should probably keep this until I'm past the Sandworm to make sure I don't roll Berserker next.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Also good lord my team is absolutely cracked:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bregor posted:

Saw that The Run was live so I finally registered for Typhoon BERSERKER RISK :doit:

E: And he's burning the Aegis again! Feels like old times...

Got Knight / White Mage / Summoner / Black Mage. No Zerk for me… :smith:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mustached Demon posted:

I am extremely limited on characters but I did my best.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I like Blue Mage in FFV. I hate Blue Mage in FFXIV. Why? They both share an affection for useless dogshit spells with no purpose. Of the 104 blue magic spells in FFXIV, like thirty of them are near-identical Standard Cast Time, Standard Potency spells that basically all function interchangeably but you just ~have~ to go collect them all because one of your best cooldowns requires some loving Rareware-level "go collect all the tchotchkes" bullshit! gently caress that! It's dumb as poo poo!

So to protest this indignity, I'm putting similar restrictions on FFV because gently caress you, I can. You get a 24-spell palette to slot spells in as a Blue Mage in FFXIV, and a DPS-minded Blue Mage ends up with three open slots, but I'm gonna be nice and give you the full 24 because here's the toxx:

As a Blue Mage haver, complete your Fiesta run with a similar ratio of spells - that is, because 24 out of 104 is 23% of the spells, you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.

I know what seven I'd get, but I'm curious what you'll end up with. I can't give you a morbol mount, but I'll donate $2 to the charity for the first ten people who have the same "gently caress collectathons, actually" mindset I do.

The interesting thing about this is that it's not quite as simple as, say, required summons only when you have a summoner. Those are all entirely opt in, but if your blue mage gets hit by a blue magic spell? Tough poo poo, you learned the spell. Better reset if it's not one of the seven you're aiming for. Also Azulmagia is functionally off limits, and avoiding Doom adds an extra little wrinkle to W2 Exdeath.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

One more character and it could've been Luv=Luv. Oh well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got the Switch Pixel Remaster. gently caress it, lets do this. Started off with Thief

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Black mage again this year, someone please develop nakk_farm.script

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not very creative :shrug:

BLU/WHM/SMN/CHM, so this is gonna be a cakewalk.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Starting out with...Mystic Knight, always a favorite

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wow! Starting out with Thief sucks rear end!

EDIT: Finally, one of these crappy skeletons dropped a dagger.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 18, 2023

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Thief ain't so bad once you hit like, the fire ship and get unlimited hi potions, but yeah it's probably the hardest wind shrine class to start with. Doesn't have any damage or healing, unlike everyone else.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Kyrosiris posted:

Personally, I’d grab Vampire, Death Claw, White Wind, Aeroga, Level 2 Old, Level 5 Death, and Mighty Guard.
Vampire for the early game carry and reliable full self heal until MEVA becomes popular, and to just get you to rods in Karnak
Death Claw for instantly killing various bosses in world 1 + 2, and to help with grinding if needed
White Wind because it’s White Wind
Aeroga for non-rod damage
Level 2 Old + Level 5 Death for instant kills on other bosses. Dark Spark lets you dismantle Atomos with ease but Level 2 Old lets you instantly kill W2 Exdeath and that’s a much bigger problem normally
Mighty Guard because it’s Mighty Guard

If playing on non-GBA, then replace Vampire with Goblin Punch for potential early game boss quick kills
If playing on PR, replace Aeroga with Dark Spark because boosted Rod snaps solve all damage problems anyways.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Arzaac posted:

Thief ain't so bad once you hit like, the fire ship and get unlimited hi potions, but yeah it's probably the hardest wind shrine class to start with. Doesn't have any damage or healing, unlike everyone else.

No weapons either :argh:

EDIT: At Carwin and at least now everyone has a knife now.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 18, 2023

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

just gonna…leave these here…

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not very creative :shrug:

BLU/WHM/SMN/CHM, so this is gonna be a cakewalk.

I wasn't very creative either

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

The interesting thing about this is that it's not quite as simple as, say, required summons only when you have a summoner. Those are all entirely opt in, but if your blue mage gets hit by a blue magic spell? Tough poo poo, you learned the spell. Better reset if it's not one of the seven you're aiming for. Also Azulmagia is functionally off limits, and avoiding Doom adds an extra little wrinkle to W2 Exdeath.

There's also a ton of things that would otherwise be easy to do that now become a pain in the rear end, like looting Karnak Castle Gigas chests.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

First time ever getting Beastmaster OR Chemist! This ought to be much smoother than my last few runs for sure.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

So I wanted to get the PR version to try to do a run but I am stuck between Switch and Steam. I want to play it on my Steam Deck, but I hear there is some sort of FPS issue. I know that the Switch version has sliders for XP, AP, Gil, and Random Encounters, but then that can be replicated with mods on PC.

YMMV but the frame-stutter was bad for me on both SteamDeck (read; pc) and Switch so I'm using FFV Advance.

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game

Took a few before I got the timing right (and even then) on my controller for snapshots.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 18, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

If I remember correctly Thief needs to hit a certain level to get to another damage tier before Magissa/Garula, but it’s been a while. Still prefer it over the slow-but-safe slog of White Mage to start.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Mage/Berserker/Thief/Mystic Knight

What a party! Oh, and Thief is there, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I got red mage as my water job, but already had blue mage from wind. Does that red mage open up any new options I didn't have with blue already?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Countblanc posted:

I got red mage as my water job, but already had blue mage from wind. Does that red mage open up any new options I didn't have with blue already?

You can cast Confuse, which makes learning some Blue spells a lot easier. But there's not a lot of synergy between the two jobs otherwise.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It opens up the possibility of having two blue mages in your end game party. This one wears red!

I believe red can wield staves, unlike blue, that is occasionally useful

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 18, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Countblanc posted:

Access to the Confuse spell gives you some blue magic early. iirc the big example of this is White Wind in the Ronka Ruins, but there are probably others too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Confuse makes sense, yeah. Having access to elemental spells should make a few World 1 fights brainless/easier too even if it falls off fast

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

It opens up the possibility of having two blue mages in your end game party. This one wears red!

I believe red can wield staves, unlike blue, that is occasionally useful

I always derive joy from whacking Shinryu with the Power Staff. BONK

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

The power of succ triumphs over all (living) foes. I got Prototype and Skull Eater.

I genuinely forgot the first two, and I don't think I can get Shield Dragon without Beastmaster specifically as the Earth job, so that's that for a while.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bregor
May 31, 2013

nrook posted:

One down, lots to go

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got dragoon/ninja/mime/dancer.

This gonna be a tough backend.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I somehow wound up with the exact same party composition I had last year. Might spice it up with a low-level playthrough or something, I dunno, but man, what are the odds.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Got Berserker! :classiclol:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Decided to start with Typhoon just to make it easy and breezy for myself this year. Knight is beginning my run, which I don't think I've officially had on a fiesta before. Most of my missing jobs are from Water/Wind so maybe I'll get a nice comp anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

:( :respek: :(