Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

smoobles posted:

"This movie with all the same actors playing the same characters isn't canon" is the most broken Internet brained statement I've seen

You’re the one who doesn’t know what anyone is talking about here, shut up.

WB was clearly expecting to take a bath on this but any hopes they had of this “resetting” anything are probably dead too. See you all in two months for when Blue Beetle makes thirty dollars WW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

WB was clearly expecting to take a bath on this but any hopes they had of this “resetting” anything are probably dead too. See you all in two months for when Blue Beetle makes thirty dollars WW.

WB expected to take a bath on their summer tentpole film?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Oh yeah they knew this was going to go bad and the star of the movie being a poo poo bag they had to cover for was cherry on top.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

live with fruit posted:

The one that has been in production for ages, with as many script changes as there are cameos? With the star that has become a running gag about psychotic Hollywood personalities that just won't face any consequences for their actions? The movie with the frantically positive reviews by such noted comic book superhero movie connoisseurs such as Steven King? Do you mean the movie WB and James Gunn have yanked the audience around on whether it would be a soft reboot, a hard reboot, a reset, an elseworld or whatever? Like they were daring you to care?

Nah, I'm sure WB thought they had a smash hit on their hands. Because they are loving morons.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

live with fruit posted:

Yes. Have you read anything about this film for the past two years?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There were reasons for rational outsiders to doubt the success of this movie, but WBD wouldn't be burning their cred and connections with all that marketting about Best Superhero Movie Ever if they thought it was a stinker.

Also lmao https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...d9da6937cf0601a

Let's make the ending actively worse because we don't want to disappoint fans when we don't make a followup!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

One of the reasons they didn't just trash it or drop Ezra is because they thought it was gonna make money to be worth the headache and lol

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Yes. Have you read anything about this film for the past two years?

That was recent. They retooled it to reset the universe and win everyone over and wouldn't drop Ezra because they trusted the quality like 1 year ago. They didn't change their tune until actual tracking happened.

This movie was literally going to save DC and be the source of rebooting everything. Then once studio heads changed and Gunn was selected, they went in another direction, while.still thinking this would be big.

It got held back firstly.due to Cyborg saying WB was racist and rewriting the whole thing, then Covid delaying everything, and then the recent shakeup at WB.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Darko posted:

It got held back firstly.due to Cyborg saying WB was racist

Oh hey, how many black people with speaking lines are in this?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Harlock posted:

One of the reasons they didn't just trash it or drop Ezra is because they thought it was gonna make money to be worth the headache and lol

They didn’t trash it not because they thought it would be “worth the headache,” they kept it because it was a sunk cost and they thought they’d make enough money back to justify what further more they’d have to invest in it to finish it, not necessarily enough to recoup the whole production. By the time they cancelled Batgirl, there had been six months of initial filming and two rounds of reshoots on The Flash.

This is all, of course, ignoring that the film didn’t even start production under the current CEOs of DC films.

Obviously the scenario now is different considering this is coming in lower than anybody’s expectations, but that’s why I said “they were expecting to take a bath on this but.” There is no way in hell WB expected to make all their money back on this film considering its absurd production probably meant it’d need to make $180 million OW.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

There is no way in hell WB expected to make all their money back on this film considering its absurd production probably meant it’d need to make $180 million OW.

What do you mean, they put three Supermen and five Batmen into this, that's's an easy 3 Billion right there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Grendels Dad posted:

lol

okay, my bad

reposting here because lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The evil is defeated it’s over now

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Pirate Jet posted:

Obviously the scenario now is different considering this is coming in lower than anybody’s expectations,

Hey now, I think plenty of posters here expected it to do poorly

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
This movie is 2 hours and 20 minutes. At the end of it, I don't know. Like I legit didn't know what to feel, I felt empty. Like you can see bits and scenes that could've been in a better movie of a person trying to get over grief but then they shoved in the time travel stuff and multiverse.

Maybe if I was back in high school, I would've lost my mind at Keaton playing Batman again. Yeah probably but I don't want it.

Flash/cyborg teaming up to solve crime would've been better or just Flash/Batman solving crime or just Flash solving crime and learning to move on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You know what, gently caress it, I’ll say it: I liked the movie. I was consistently entertained, the use of the Speed Force looked cool, Ezra Miller played two roles convincingly, the silly cameos were entertaining, all in all I had a good time.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The one that has been in production for ages, with as many script changes as there are cameos? With the star that has become a running gag about psychotic Hollywood personalities that just won't face any consequences for their actions? The movie with the frantically positive reviews by such noted comic book superhero movie connoisseurs such as Steven King? Do you mean the movie WB and James Gunn have yanked the audience around on whether it would be a soft reboot, a hard reboot, a reset, an elseworld or whatever? Like they were daring you to care?

Nah, I'm sure WB thought they had a smash hit on their hands. Because they are loving morons.

Seems like a lot of effort for something they had given up on. And why not move it to August or September?

Thinking WB knew they were taking a bath on this gives them more credit then they appear to deserve.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

live with fruit posted:

Seems like a lot of effort for something they had given up on. And why not move it to August or September?

Thinking WB knew they were taking a bath on this gives them more credit then they appear to deserve.

Yeah, especially since they’d literally written off two movies that were both mostly done and one of which (Scoob 2) was almost guaranteed to make a profit (obviously we’ll likely never know how Batgirl would have performed).

Although isn’t the rumour WB literally didn’t have any other tent pole releases ready to go? So it was this or nothing?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, there's Iris and...uh...um

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

live with fruit posted:

It’s not “giving anyone credit” to assume that a movie with an estimated production budget of $330 million starring someone awaiting trial for several crimes won’t make much money.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Look at the marketing campaign leading up to the release and tell me that BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN isn't damage control. That sidelining your main character in all promotional material doesn't show some sort of awareness of the actor's personal problems and how they might impact public reception. These aren't actions of a company certain they will get a solid return on their investment.

They didn't push the movie back because it has been pushed back. It's a summer movie. A spectacle. Their claim to still working the big leagues. You are seriously asking why they didn't drop this in gently caress You, It's January?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Look at the marketing campaign leading up to the release and tell me that BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN isn't damage control. That sidelining your main character in all promotional material doesn't show some sort of awareness of the actor's personal problems and how they might impact public reception. These aren't actions of a company certain they will get a solid return on their investment.

They didn't push the movie back because it has been pushed back. It's a summer movie. A spectacle. Their claim to still working the big leagues. You are seriously asking why they didn't drop this in gently caress You, It's January?

Man of Steel was good and they followed it up by shoehorning Batman into the sequel. Pivoting to Batman is a feature. And I said August, which is not nearly the same as January. They even could have swapped it with Barbie, which comes out in late July.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Clooney was the only good choice ending

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

They also needed to drop the movie before the star... er the star of the movie that shares the same name of the movie, not Batman... creates any more bad press and his poo poo goes to court. Although I think most of his problems (the assaults) disappeared with money but I think the parents of the girl he was grooming are still trying to sue him. You dont want that going on concurrently with your movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fangz posted:

There were reasons for rational outsiders to doubt the success of this movie, but WBD wouldn't be burning their cred and connections with all that marketting about Best Superhero Movie Ever if they thought it was a stinker.

Also lmao https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...d9da6937cf0601a

Let's make the ending actively worse because we don't want to disappoint fans when we don't make a followup!

lol they picked the worst of 3 endings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It can't help that a multiverse movie about a young superhero trying to save a family member, filled with cameos and references, came out three weeks prior and every single element of it puts Flash to shame

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

ImpAtom posted:

It can't help that a multiverse movie about a young superhero trying to save a family member, filled with cameos and references, came out three weeks prior and every single element of it puts Flash to shame

That and like the big opening set piece, all it does is remind you that X-Men Apocalypse, of all things, did it way better.

I got the sense that the Reeve cameo was supposed to elicit a Cap-picks-up-Mjolnir cheer from the audience but it was more of an awkward silence while everyone thought to themselves "was that really a good idea?"

I think the biggest problem with Miller's Flash (and there are a bunch) is that they can't seem to reliably come up with a characterization other than "HEY HE'S A WEIRD NERD" so when they need us to give a poo poo about Barry it just lands weird.

One thing, though, watch for Miller interviews. I worked BTS on the movie and got to hear some of their interviews about shooting and it gave me a little more insight as to why and how they went off the rails as hard as they did. The weirdness of shooting "with themselves" for so much of the movie I think played into the issues they were having. (I'm not saying it's The Flash's fault Ezra Miller went over the high side, mind you, I'm saying that putting someone whose grasp on reality was all sweaty to begin with into that kind of situation was just a recipe for disaster.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All the cameos absolutely have to come off as desperate and tasteless now the novelty's worn off.

Grendels Dad posted:

They've gone from massive unearned confidence to desperate damage control quickly enough I imagine it's probably executives fighting over it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

live with fruit posted:

Man of Steel was good and they followed it up by shoehorning Batman into the sequel.

Take of the decade.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It would have been better if Adam West got out of the car at the end.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

WB could've done the funniest thing and confused everyone.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
And then CGI Henry Cavill as Batman

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol Black Adam made $26.7 million on it’s opening Friday and $67 million on its opening weekend. It’s not as bad as Shazam 2 which made $11.7 million on its opening Friday and $30.1 million on its opening weekend.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

kazmeyer posted:

I got the sense that the Reeve cameo was supposed to elicit a Cap-picks-up-Mjolnir cheer from the audience but it was more of an awkward silence while everyone thought to themselves "was that really a good idea?"

Sat there like Orson Welles in the cinema shouting "he doesn't do anything?!" at the screen.

quote:

The tragedy of The Flash, then, is that despite being a better-made film than Justice League, it eschews any further development of such themes. Shannon and the supporting cast of villains from Man of Steel are squandered, given little to do other than play cardboard cutouts for the band of protagonists to bounce hits off. The moral quandaries of Man of Steel are tied off in a clean, bloodless fashion. Would Clark, raised as a Kryptonian, have adopted their fascist creed? We aren’t shown, as he died here as a child. Would his cousin Kara, suffering the torture at the hands of Earth people that Pa Kent labored to protect Clark from, be seduced by the offer of a new Krypton? The offer is never really made. The Kryptonians, brutally efficient and focused in that earlier film, here loaf about engaging in dogfighting and hand-to-hand combat to no apparent end. Flash never even attempts to halt the World Engine, the great terraforming tool that will erase all life on Earth.

Wrote up my horrible Snyderista take on The Flash for Blood Knife for anyone interested.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everyone involved absolutely knew this movie was a poo poo show. I’m sorry but like multiple different director, writers, production delays, the fact it used to be a flash / cyborg team up movie. Ezra Miller becoming a psycho.

Like the only reason they didn’t cancel this movie at the same time as Batgirl was because they couldn’t afford to do it. They already spent way too much on this movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Everyone involved absolutely knew this movie was a poo poo show. I’m sorry but like multiple different director, writers, production delays, the fact it used to be a flash / cyborg team up movie. Ezra Miller becoming a psycho.

Like the only reason they didn’t cancel this movie at the same time as Batgirl was because they couldn’t afford to do it. They already spent way too much on this movie.

Nah, that's not how executives work. It's RT score is way above BvS, for instance, which they also thought would make a billion dollars. Early positive screenings and it being a multiverse movie was their path to success. They sourced Twitter opinions and figured leaning into Keaton Batman is what everyone wanted and would guarantee box office.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Also, lol at the final scene where Miller is clearly 5 years older and 15 lbs heavier.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

josh04 posted:

Wrote up my horrible Snyderista take on The Flash for Blood Knife for anyone interested.

This was very good, and also now I'm stuck thinking about how loving cool it would've been to have Cavill show up in the alternate timeline as the leader of the invading Kryptonians instead of Zod.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

josh04 posted:

Sat there like Orson Welles in the cinema shouting "he doesn't do anything?!" at the screen.

Clark died in space, man. And they harvested him for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I haven't seen this movie and don't plan to but how does Flash's mom not dying lead to Superman getting killed as a baby?