Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

I Am Fowl posted:

Disposal is what the radish is tapping into. Based on the original run, the hungry one is very much them being eaten. Deus Pahzel is something outside of the Bulb/Hungry One duality--disposal as you've suggesting

That makes sense. I've just started rewatching CoC 'cause it was the first one I watched several months ago and I don't remember all the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

run on sentience posted:

That makes sense. I've just started rewatching CoC 'cause it was the first one I watched several months ago and I don't remember all the details.

There's a bit towards the end, after they fight the Sugarplum Fairy, where the ghosts of dead Candians are seen again, including dead PCs. The description of the Hungry One's embrace to the living Liam is rather conclusive, I think.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
wasn't the reveal at the end of a crown of candy that the deities are just non-sentient power sources.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’ve canceled my dropout subscription and will be switching to Dropout America. Thanks Sam! (There’s a new Breaking News.)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’ve canceled my dropout subscription and will be switching to Dropout America. Thanks Sam! (There’s a new Breaking News.)

The revenge of Grant showing strong in this episode. That he got Sam to call a truce is hillarious.

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
Sam's slight annoyance toward his dad not being available for Game Changer was additional salt in the wound to Grant's delight.

This episode was like an 8 minute shot to the arm of entertainment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I never realized who his dad was, and I really should have. It explains literally everything

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume Grant didn't know who was on the call sheet for this one other than it needing Sam, because I expected a bit more from Elaine. Maybe he was hoping she'd bite on the stuff about Sam's favourite sex position?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Remember! The only good manatee is a dead manatee.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Is there anywhere Brennan has talked about behind the scenes of his campaigns from a character/narrative perspective? I know there's the BTS video on Dropout/YouTube but that's more about the physical production.

For example, I'm curious in Fantasy High if the Arthur murder/suicide to revive the bad kids was 100% improvised on the spot or more of a mix of reacting to the players but with some nugget of a plan if there were PC deaths.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

whydirt posted:

Is there anywhere Brennan has talked about behind the scenes of his campaigns from a character/narrative perspective? I know there's the BTS video on Dropout/YouTube but that's more about the physical production.

For example, I'm curious in Fantasy High if the Arthur murder/suicide to revive the bad kids was 100% improvised on the spot or more of a mix of reacting to the players but with some nugget of a plan if there were PC deaths.

I believe this is something that he has actually mentioned in some video somewhere. If I recall, he stated that if one PC had died he would have let it go, but since multiple died he decided to do what he did. Like most of D&D it was likely not 100% improvised.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sure that’s just an example. I just wanted to see him nerd out about all of those kind of moments across the season.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

whydirt posted:

Sure that’s just an example. I just wanted to see him nerd out about all of those kind of moments across the season.
That stuff largely happens in the adventuring parties for any given season.

Fantasy High didn’t have adventuring parties for every episode like the other seasons have, but there are the four “Extra Credit” episodes where Brennan talks through things with two or three cast or crew members at a time. I believe that’s one of the places he talks about the Aguefort thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

incredible mini work this episode, the full junji ito disposal heads are amazing

edit: this is a fantastic finale

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 15, 2023

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

eke out posted:

incredible mini work this episode, the full junji ito disposal heads are amazing

edit: this is a fantastic finale

"What is food if never on is fed, when with strange disposals even death lies dead?"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ravening War was good. Calorum remains my favorite D20 setting, it's so freakin' rich. Only hope if/when they go back they do a full season there, as the ~drama~ of the setting pairs well with a bit more time to seep in it.

Was excited for a split second that Brennan would actually join the bad guys and make the battle PVP.

Loved the finale boss being a garbage disposal. Absolutely horrifying.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Ravening War final episode: Matthew, you fool! You completely forgot about the Box of Doom!DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm psyched for adventuring party tomorrow 'cause it's gonna be a love fest. That was so good and everyone knocked it out of the park.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I see a critical role future where Zac guests a couple episodes.
It'd be a goddamn crime if that doesn't happen.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

New season trailer, looks great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZVjQL74qE

"Alaska Thunderfuck" is a great name.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

sorry WHAT

I am losing my goddamn mind right now HOW IS THIS HAPPENING. This is utterly unfathomable. Holy poo poo

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

The moment in the trailer where Jujubee's single tear rolled down her face omg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh hell yes!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sweet!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

That is..
I dont...
:love:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I don't know who these people are but Queerness + RP is always a good combo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I don’t understand how they mashed my two main entertainment interests together but i am here for it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I Am Fowl posted:

I don't know who these people are but Queerness + RP is always a good combo.
They're four of the funniest, best drag queens from like eight hundred seasons of Ru Paul's Drag Race. All of them are absolutely hilarious and quick witted and oh my god we are all in for a TREAT

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
drat, that Ravening War finale was so hosed up and amazing, then learning 4 of my favourite drag queens are going to play. I don't say this often but I truly can't even. It's going to be so much fun.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Regarding the Ravening War: So, all of the lands of Calorum mean something, they represent the foods that live there. Meat lands have meat people, that's easy; Ceresia is a reference to Ceres, and so on. The fungus people and their land--what's the reference? I can't even work out how to spell the place.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Regarding the Ravening War: So, all of the lands of Calorum mean something, they represent the foods that live there. Meat lands have meat people, that's easy; Ceresia is a reference to Ceres, and so on. The fungus people and their land--what's the reference? I can't even work out how to spell the place.

mushrooms are saprophytes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saprotrophic_nutrition

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Many mushrooms but not all fwiw :eng101:

For the next Calorum campaign it might be cool to see a Saprophyian PC who lived under one of the other kingdoms. Yeast will have its day :argh:

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 16, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Semi-Related: If anyone needs a fix of more Brennan Lee Mulligan DMing, Worlds Beyond Number is a few episodes deep and it's really, really good. It's played quite a bit more serious compared to D20 though.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Semi-Related: If anyone needs a fix of more Brennan Lee Mulligan DMing, Worlds Beyond Number is a few episodes deep and it's really, really good. It's played quite a bit more serious compared to D20 though.

Also on this note, WBN is free. You can listen to the entire campaign without paying anything. If you do sub to the patreon you get bts and stuff like they are about to do a shorter campaign with Erika as the first time DM. Their characters will be farm animals.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is something wrong with me? Tried watching play it by ear, and I dunno, I just bounced off it hard

Didn't take for me, either.

Noise Boys didn't really take either :/.

I'm still making my way through Nevermore, and really enjoying it. I like the longer season. It didn't grab me the first couple episodes but now I'm fully in. Everyone is good, as always, but Lou's Pinocchio, godamn.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Just finished Mice and Murder. I bounced off it a few times, but once the murder mystery started I was hooked. I would love to see more of this setting/genre.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

DeathSandwich posted:

He also pops up all over the place. Fortunate Horse (which is the company that produces WBN) has had him on for at least one stream, I'm watching him guide a Wanderhome session right now while prepping to (finally!) run my own session of that system. The man is an absolute master.

E: oh yeah, that actually reminds me - given the financial success of WBN, I was wondering if Brennan might take his cash and buy into Dropout, if Sam is willing to sell some shares...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CK07 posted:

He also pops up all over the place. Fortunate Horse (which is the company that produces WBN) has had him on for at least one stream, I'm watching him guide a Wanderhome session right now while prepping to (finally!) run my own session of that system. The man is an absolute master.

E: oh yeah, that actually reminds me - given the financial success of WBN, I was wondering if Brennan might take his cash and buy into Dropout, if Sam is willing to sell some shares...

Has it been a big success? Have they talked about the financials at all? It being a coop and having a much smaller staff means their take away is probably a lot better, I can't imagine it's "buy ownership in Dropout" good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Has it been a big success? Have they talked about the financials at all? It being a coop and having a much smaller staff means their take away is probably a lot better, I can't imagine it's "buy ownership in Dropout" good.

yeah their current numbers look like they're all making really good money from the time they spend on this, but dropout is a small television studio with millions in infrastructure, IP, and dozens of employees

i do hope Sam will consider some option apart from personal ownership (see, e.g., MaxFun buying out Jesse Thorn and converting to a worker-owned coop) to help make sure that place can go on without him on top, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

DeathSandwich posted:

I remember they hit like 20k patrons in their first week, and at $5/head minimum, that's at least 1.2 million in annual revenue. And then according to this site they're now sitting over 30k subs, which is nearly 2mil annually if everyone is chipping in $5. It's not like they have a ton of overhead, and they're not even advertising AFAIK!