Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The best thread of The Sopranos is this, and also the fact that every few episodes some Sopranos family member starts adopting sayings from Livia. Tony, AJ, Meadow, and Janice at least. I don't recall Carmela borrowing the sayings but the other members of the family all do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Every time Tony or AJ drops an "oh, poor you" it's loving incredible

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Janice's last ever scene is I think her talking about how glad she is that she isn't anything like Livia, while simultaneously complaining about a lack of financial security while reclining outside her giant house and even repeating some of Livia's dismissive physical gestures.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Janice's last ever scene is I think her talking about how glad she is that she isn't anything like Livia, while simultaneously complaining about a lack of financial security while reclining outside her giant house and even repeating some of Livia's dismissive physical gestures.
Yeah you can see throughout the series that despite hating her mother, by the end of the show she's just a younger Livia. Down to being a widow.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I seem to remember even Melfi saying something that sounded oddly Livia-ish once. “Oh go on” with a dismissive wave of her hand or something.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I believe that was when she was drinking prior to Tony’s sessions and he correctly sussed her out on it- “you seem like you’re on drugs”

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

FlamingLiberal posted:

The best thread of The Sopranos is this, and also the fact that every few episodes some Sopranos family member starts adopting sayings from Livia. Tony, AJ, Meadow, and Janice at least. I don't recall Carmela borrowing the sayings but the other members of the family all do.

There's a lot of things I can say right now that I'm not gonna say!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s all a big nothing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vichan posted:

There's a lot of things I can say right now that I'm not gonna say!

I wonder if that was a Johnny saying because both Tony and Janice use it all the time but Livia never did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah you can see throughout the series that despite hating her mother, by the end of the show she's just a younger Livia. Down to being a widow.

There's been discussion here and elsewhere just how well off Johnny Boy left Livia and how Livia may have lived like a poveretto because she enjoyed feeling miserable and it makes me wonder if Janice wasn't spinning a story as well because one can imagine Bobby providing if not for her then for his kids but didn't even have Livia's fortitude to lean into living within her means.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

ulvir posted:

it’s all a big nothing

you go about in pity for yourself

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

There's been discussion here and elsewhere just how well off Johnny Boy left Livia and how Livia may have lived like a poveretto because she enjoyed feeling miserable and it makes me wonder if Janice wasn't spinning a story as well because one can imagine Bobby providing if not for her then for his kids but didn't even have Livia's fortitude to lean into living within her means.

didn't Tony make a point about being more successful than his father in a therapy session?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

though obviously and objectively, the house Livia lived in is probably 10x better constructed than the mcmansion he lives in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ulvir posted:

didn't Tony make a point about being more successful than his father in a therapy session?

While this is true, and he both raised to a rank his father never did and has made a shitload more money, he also had a shitload more expenses. Johnny apparently never moved out of that house they raised the kids in, and while I'm sure he had his mistress shacked up somewhere in an apartment I have to figure he never had the same expenses Tony dealt with. I also got the impression he wasn't much of a gambler, though his lesson to Tony not to gamble could have just been another example of hypocrisy from a guy who lived his life as he pleased.

He was resentful of not taking up that offer to go out to Vegas (or was it Atlantic City?) and making big money there, but I didn't get the sense he was hurting for cash and like Junior probably had a pretty good "retirement fund" tucked away somewhere in nearby.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*92 second acapella solo*

i gotta piss

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle

Jerusalem posted:

He was resentful of not taking up that offer to go out to Vegas (or was it Atlantic City?) and making big money there, but I didn't get the sense he was hurting for cash and like Junior probably had a pretty good "retirement fund" tucked away somewhere in nearby.

She’d rather smother them with a pillow than take them to Nevada!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

now you tell me one time your father didn't do exactly what he wanted

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A semester and a half of college back then was a major fuckin expense. Columbia is nothing compared to that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ries posted:

She’d rather smother them with a pillow than take them to Nevada!

You're like an albacore around my neck!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Dawgstar posted:

Listen - Bobby left your sister a package that could choke a goddamn elephant! You know how much those model trains are worth?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A new piece on Gandolfini and how great he was: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/06/james-gandolfini-the-sopranos-remembered

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

there really is no god, to take a guy like that away from us so soon huh

if there were an afterlife i'd hope him and adam yauch are up there in a VIP section they need but don't want, but probably there isn't

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ainsley McTree posted:

there really is no god, to take a guy like that away from us so soon huh

if there were an afterlife i'd hope him and adam yauch are up there in a VIP section they need but don't want, but probably there isn't

As long as Robin Williams is chillin with them too i like this. Those 3 always bum me out when i realize they’ve passed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Michael K Williams and Lance Reddick too :smith:

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hesh's face at the end of Christopher's "even with computahs" speech has to be one of the top 10 funniest moments of the show to me

That scene is top tier for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MyLightyear posted:

That scene is top tier for me.

gently caress it let's watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrQcAzMb8E

Hesh always stands out to me but everyone's face is killing it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wonder when recommending the show to prospective new viewers if I should tell them to look at it as both the genesis and zenith of prestige television, or tell them to expect basically a full on comedy

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
One of my favourite little verité moments- AJ staring blankly out the window while Carmela prepares Thanksgiving dinner. The phone rings, Carmela picks it up and says audibly within earshot of AJ, "Meadow, hi!" and AJ immediately asks who it is on the phone.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

codo27 posted:

I wonder when recommending the show to prospective new viewers if I should tell them to look at it as both the genesis and zenith of prestige television, or tell them to expect basically a full on comedy

I'd tell them they're on the precipice of an enormous crossroads.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had no idea until i finally watched the show how much of it is a comedy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Every time I see The Bear listed as a comedy, my first thought is “it’s no sopranos”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

gently caress it let's watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrQcAzMb8E

Hesh always stands out to me but everyone's face is killing it

Hugh, too. That look of slight confusion sliding into contempt.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Livia funeral episode has to be one of the best of the entire series. Just with how everyone keeps trying to avoid saying how lovely she was as a person until near the end of the episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nononono I dont want any of that California Bullpoo poo!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least she didn’t suffer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

it's funny (well not "funny", but), my grandpa died about a year ago, after a pretty hard battle with some health issues, and there was a lot of "at least he's at peace now" and I kept thinking of Tony blankly nodding

It's a hollow thing to say to be sure, but honestly what else are the various distant relatives and acquaintances that come to funerals supposed to say in that situation. It's ultimately just a synonym for "sorry for your loss," or "my condolences" which is sometimes the most appropriate thing you can say depending on your relation to the family (or in the case of the sopranos, the deceased; my grandpa tbf was much more likeable); I feel like trying to get any deeper or more profound is quite risky, as Christopher taught us

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was the running joke of the episode and it's amazing

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ainsley McTree posted:

it's funny (well not "funny", but), my grandpa died about a year ago, after a pretty hard battle with some health issues, and there was a lot of "at least he's at peace now" and I kept thinking of Tony blankly nodding

It's a hollow thing to say to be sure, but honestly what else are the various distant relatives and acquaintances that come to funerals supposed to say in that situation.

I usually stick with a resigned "whattayagunna do."

I actually did tell an aunt of mine to "have a good day" at her husband's funeral though. Stupid customer-service poisoned brain had me grimacing all the way to the car.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

What a loving blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The mundanity of funerals in The Sopranos is so good, both because of how it's used for comedic effect, and also because, frankly, it's a lot closer to the experience I've had with funerals than any other TV show has managed.

That time Tony and Carmela take a break from Christopher's funeral to go to the funeral of Paulie's mom and he gets *so mad* almost nobody showed for her... what a good show.