Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jun 17, 2023
U.S. Energy Dept gets two ransom notices as MOVEit hack claims more victims

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Department of Energy got ransom requests from the Russia-linked extortion group Cl0p at both its nuclear waste facility and scientific education facility that were recently hit in a global hacking campaign, a spokesperson said on Friday.

The DOE contractor Oak Ridge Associated Universities and the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, the New Mexico-based facility for disposal of defense-related radioactive nuclear waste, were hit in the attack, which was first reported on Thursday.

Data was "compromised" at the two DOE entities after hackers breached their systems through a security flaw in the file transfer tool MOVEit Transfer. The software is widely-used by organisations around the world to share sensitive data.

From U.S. government departments to the UK's telecom regulator and energy giant Shell, a range of victims have emerged since Burlington, Massachusetts-based Progress Software found the security flaw in its MOVEit Transfer product last month.

The wide-ranging impact of it shows how even the most security-minded federal agencies are struggling to defend against ransomware attacks. Ransomware gangs typically scour for such widely-used tools.

The U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) said Thursday that several federal agencies had been hit by the MOVEit breach. It did not say which ones, but added that there had not been much impact to the federal civilian executive branch.

Analysts say more victims are likely to emerge in the coming weeks.

The ransom requests to DOE came in emails to each facility, said the spokesperson, without revealing how much money was demanded. "They came in individually, not as kind of a blind carbon copy," the spokesperson said. "The two entities that received them did not engage," with Cl0p and there was no indication the ransom requests were withdrawn, he said.

The DOE, which manages U.S. nuclear weapons and nuclear waste sites related to the military, notified Congress of the breach and is participating in investigations with law enforcement and the CISA.

Cl0p did not respond to requests for comment, but in a post on its website, it said, “WE DON'T HAVE ANY GOVERNMENT DATA” and suggested that should the hackers inadvertently have picked up such data in their mass theft “WE STILL DO THE POLITE THING AND DELETE ALL.”

Recorded Future analyst Allan Liska said Cl0p was likely making a big deal out of how they purportedly deleted government data in an attempt to protect themselves from retaliation from Washington and other governments.

(Reporting by Timothy Gardner and Raphael Satter; Additional reporting by Zeba Siddiqui; Editing by Leslie Adler and Daniel Wallis)

the West continues to get owned with by their own Billionaires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Computers ftw

misterevilcat
Apr 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfzbaELw4uY
Paging frosted flake to the thread. Chinese artillery seems to be vastly superior to the west's with simply.....way more guns. The crane reloaded grad mlrs pods also a nice innovation. Big emphasis on self propelled guns as well. Really innovating on soviet doctrine IMHO.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

when i first heard about self propelled guns the mental image i got was the artillery firing backward to push itself forward which probably isnt true but is fun to visualize

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

celadon posted:

when i first heard about self propelled guns the mental image i got was the artillery firing backward to push itself forward which probably isnt true but is fun to visualize

have a giant spring behind the gun that absorbs the recoil and then jumps it forward allowing you to advance while firing on the enemy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

misterevilcat posted:

Paging frosted flake to the thread. Chinese artillery seems to be vastly superior to the west's with simply.....way more guns. The crane reloaded grad mlrs pods also a nice innovation. Big emphasis on self propelled guns as well. Really innovating on soviet doctrine IMHO.

lol I read a paper about the new Chinese artillery doctrine last month and it was like "Well obviously the equipment is too modern, there's too much of it and the modernization happened too quickly, so obviously they'll be unable to use any of it"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I read a paper about the new Chinese artillery doctrine last month and it was like "Well obviously the equipment is too modern, there's too much of it and the modernization happened too quickly, so obviously they'll be unable to use any of it"

Hahahaha incredible

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

misterevilcat posted:

Didn't watch, but how does it compare to this wonderful contraption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pMSCv9-SU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh my god the guest 3 mintues of this alone is hilarious

https://youtu.be/nTaF9N5m-M0

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

KomradeX posted:

seems retarded

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

yellowcar posted:

seems retarded

Extremely so. My favorite bit is that of course the Chinese will be shooting down their own jets or that in all the shelling and bombing they haven't attacked Taiwanese anti-ship missile emplacements

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

those guys who can make 2TB SSDs for 50 bucks and disrupted that entire market are very technologically inferior, askctually

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

KomradeX posted:

quote:

China seeks to create the world in its own image.
:ironicat:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love that China just hates liberal democracy and wants to rule the world. Not projection what so ever

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

misterevilcat posted:

Going back to this video, it does seem like the Chinese are trying to find a middle ground between the Russian and the American way of doing things with more artillery than American formations but substantially less than Soviet/Russian ones along with a longer term trend toward modernization.

That said, I wonder if they aren't still falling into a mistake of trusting too much in maneuver warfare rather than outright firepower. It makes sense they are replacing their towed artillery with SPGs, but at the same time, it seems their brigades are still fairly lightly armed in terms of simply amount of KGs of RDX they can put downrange versus the Russians. Obviously, they have difficult expectations (including littoral and amphibious warfare) but it does seem a deficit.

In addition, the narrator, as a Westerner, naturally likes to poo poo on the Russian "manual" way of doing things as so old fashion and obsolete, but I wonder how the crane/cargo box arrangement would actually work in high-intensity warfare. It is nifty, but also another vehicle that has to be protected and I wonder how it is going to work in battlefield conditions versus just have guys shoving rockets into the MRLS (it may not be that easy to operate a crane if the operator is under fire).

I would say the current war in Ukraine has showed that warfare may have not changed as much as we think and while everyone has been sold on light mobile formations, what happens when things settle down and you just need to smash the enemy with as much firepower as humanly possible?

(I will say one thing China will have going for them is simply they can produce as much ammo as they want and I really doubt they are going to run out of it.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

(I will say one thing China will have going for them is simply they can produce as much ammo as they want and I really doubt they are going to run out of it.)

it's more like china can simply produce as much of virtually anything as they need, and as such they have the ability to adapt very quickly if the hi-tech poo poo turns out to be a dud

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's more like china can simply produce as much of virtually anything as they need, and as such they have the ability to adapt very quickly if the hi-tech poo poo turns out to be a dud

I think changing your whole doctrine is a little more difficult though especially if you are a ton of existing equipment and everyone is trained to use it in a specific manner. That said, the PLA has been pretty attuned at keeping up with changes in warfare despite only being on peacekeeping missions.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
personally i'm not convinced that "let's put a lot more conventional artillery in our armies" is some insurmountable doctrinal change, especially when you have the manpower pool that china does

like, they could just mobilize a bunch of pla militia guys and build and train new artillery brigades from scratch if they really had to. it would take a while sure, but time would always be on china's side in any potential war

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah if anything the Ukraine war has shown that still being able to bring maximum amount or firepower is still the most important aspect. Though who knows how the US would actually perform since hell when was the last time the US took counter battery fire? Vietnam, Korea? We have no idea how the US will hold up to people that shoot back and air defense that isn't knocked out on the first night. Though maybe the propaganda is burrowed too deeply in me that I can't help but think that stealth bombers arena big advantage to the US

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the us has what, a dozen stealth bombers that are operational? no way in hell would they risk them against an opponent with real air defenses

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having a separate vehicle to load the launcher is pretty standard nowadays

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

personally i'm not convinced that "let's put a lot more conventional artillery in our armies" is some insurmountable doctrinal change, especially when you have the manpower pool that china does

like, they could just mobilize a bunch of pla militia guys and build and train new artillery brigades from scratch if they really had to. it would take a while sure, but time would always be on china's side in any potential war

It isn't, and they would adapt, but it would perhaps be a situation like the Russians faced where their current doctrine wasn't working and they had to go back to brass tacks and that took about 8-12 months. That said, it is a hypothetical situation, and the US would be in a far worse position because not only they are lighter in artillery, but the US is very clearly not prepared for industrial warfare, not even close.

Cerebral Bore posted:

the us has what, a dozen stealth bombers that are operational? no way in hell would they risk them against an opponent with real air defenses

Honestly, the stealth bombers were probably already obsolete before they were fully operational, the Soviets/Russians almost certainly knew what the US was up to and they obviously did their own research, and a certain amount of countermeasures were already in place by at least the 90s. They were the ones who gave a heads-up to the Serbs. They would be sitting ducks for Mig-31s using infrared targeting.

Obviously, they are still useful to crush any country with minimal air defenses, which is why they are still kept around and will eventually be replaced.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Jun 18, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Stealth aircrafts still look way cool (after you drop some Hollywood magic dust on them). Think of them like a moon landing PR program.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the US will never ever risk B-2s over an enemy that has a functioning air force because they built less than two dozen of them and they need them to launch nukes when the time comes to end human civilization

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I did say that it was probably just decades or propaganda ingrained in me. And the B-2 all operate out of that one base in the US right, which I don't know if I was Russia or China I'd practically have a satellite parked over it iin geosynchronous orbit to give me the heads up that they were on the way

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

they get forward deployed to Diego Garcia sometimes. that may have ended recently, though? one crashed there on takeoff a while back

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, the fundamental problem here is once again that you have this fancy piece of kit but then you barely have any of them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

never forget the ‘main problem’ is getting contractors paid, and the B2 is good at that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

they get forward deployed to Diego Garcia sometimes. that may have ended recently, though? one crashed there on takeoff a while back

Yeah, they move around. Recent examples include Diego Garcia, Guam, Australia, the UK (Fairford), Iceland, Hawaii, Azores, etc.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The purpose of a system is what it does.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Going back to this video, it does seem like the Chinese are trying to find a middle ground between the Russian and the American way of doing things with more artillery than American formations but substantially less than Soviet/Russian ones along with a longer term trend toward modernization.

That said, I wonder if they aren't still falling into a mistake of trusting too much in maneuver warfare rather than outright firepower. It makes sense they are replacing their towed artillery with SPGs, but at the same time, it seems their brigades are still fairly lightly armed in terms of simply amount of KGs of RDX they can put downrange versus the Russians. Obviously, they have difficult expectations (including littoral and amphibious warfare) but it does seem a deficit.

In addition, the narrator, as a Westerner, naturally likes to poo poo on the Russian "manual" way of doing things as so old fashion and obsolete, but I wonder how the crane/cargo box arrangement would actually work in high-intensity warfare. It is nifty, but also another vehicle that has to be protected and I wonder how it is going to work in battlefield conditions versus just have guys shoving rockets into the MRLS (it may not be that easy to operate a crane if the operator is under fire).

I would say the current war in Ukraine has showed that warfare may have not changed as much as we think and while everyone has been sold on light mobile formations, what happens when things settle down and you just need to smash the enemy with as much firepower as humanly possible?

china may not need as many Kgs of explosive to get the same effect. looks like they perfected production of CL-20.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3222649/china-has-tamed-worlds-most-powerful-explosive-military-scientists-say

https://interestingengineering.com/science/china-cl-20-more-stable

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Jun 18, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GlassEye-Boy posted:

china may not need as many Kgs of explosive to get the same effect. looks like they perfected production of CL-20.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3222649/china-has-tamed-worlds-most-powerful-explosive-military-scientists-say

The qualities you want for explosive fill in artillery projectiles are not just about energy but the character of the wave, and how it interacts with the brissance of the steel to produce good fragmentation effect.

Much more energetic explosives already exist but have very narrow military applications.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQVR4epfBQ

Great video about the challenges of military procurement and while he does make a ton of examples from multiple armies. But its not a concidence than when he's talking about poo poo theres a picture of an f35 or zumwalt destroyer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hatebag posted:

I Is someone gonna nuke the azores or drc or the bahamas? Probably not
Bahamas:

The United States Navy's Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC) is a laboratory that performs integrated three-dimensional hydrospace/aerospace trajectory measurements covering the entire spectrum of undersea simulated warfare – calibration, classifications, detection, and destruction. Its mission is to assist in establishing and maintaining naval ability of the United States through testing, evaluation, and underwater research.

The typical task performed at AUTEC is testing and certifying the proficiency of U.S. Navy submarine captains and their crews, as well as the accuracy of their undersea weapons. The sophisticated facility includes three test ranges – the Weapons Range, the Acoustic Range, and the FORACS Range – all located in the Tongue of the ocean (TOTO), a deep-ocean basin approximately 100 nautical miles (190 km) long by 15 nautical miles (28 km) wide, with depths as great as 6,000 feet (1,800 m). The main AUTEC support base and downrange tracking stations are on Andros Island in the Bahamas, just west of Nassau and about 180 nautical miles (333 km) southeast of West Palm Beach, Florida. On January 23, 2020, the corporation PAE Applied Technologies received roughly $32.9 million for six more months of facility and range maintenance and range operations support services at AUTEC.[1] On August 12, 2020, the corporation Amentum (created in January 2020 when AECOM sold its management services business to American Securities LLC and affiliates of the private equity firm Lindsay Goldberg[2]) received roughly $430 million for five years' worth of operation and maintenance of AUTEC.[3]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQVR4epfBQ

Great video about the challenges of military procurement and while he does make a ton of examples from multiple armies. But its not a concidence than when he's talking about poo poo theres a picture of an f35 or zumwalt destroyer

Proposed solution section isn't worth much though since he kind of glosses over the fact that the bad requirements and contracts are as much a product of the defense industry as they are the government, if not more so

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Proposed solution section isn't worth much though since he kind of glosses over the fact that the bad requirements and contracts are as much a product of the defense industry as they are the government, if not more so

Well of course capitalism can't ever be a negative vector

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

leftliberals.txt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
He also acts like Western military companies don't get direct subsidies as well when talking about the "Russian method" but considering his other videos, it isn't terribly surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If we just tell the capitalism machine what to do just right, it won't capitalism us in the face