Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bull3964 posted:

Does he care for her or does he just want someone to be dependent on him?

good question. i'm not sure we see enough of their interactions to actually give a definitive answer, and that wouldn't exactly be out of character for Q either.

with the caveat that it's been a while since i've seen that ep (i don't really think it's a good one and usually skip it), based on what we do see i'd say he does at least care for her somewhat. i do remember Q saying he enjoyed her company because it provided him with a perspective of whimsy, so to speak, because all of the miraculous things in the universe from her viewpoint were essentially mundane to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the overall themes of what different people fight for. Klingon's fight for fun, Gem-Hadar fight because they are genetically bred to, and Humans seem soft because of our love of food and entertainment and comfort, but when those things are threatened we fight harder than anyone else because we want to keep that nice stuff. We fight so that we no longer NEED to fight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's perfectly in Q's character to take Picard's girlfriend from him

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's perfectly in Q's character to take Picard's girlfriend from him

Well now we know what happened to Laris :v:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Well now we know what happened to Laris :v:

She's better off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have finished season 2 and have watched The Search part 1.

Holy poo poo time to put a seatbelt on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
“Tattoo” is trash. Hey Michael Piller ancient aliens theories are racism. Thanks for making me sit through 30 minutes of that to get the funny parts Robert Picardo came up with where he gives himself the flu.

Thankfully “Cold Fire” is next, I haven’t seen it since original airing, and I KNOW it has some great acting in it since it’s stuck in my head for almost thirty years. “Mercy! Mercy.” Indeed.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
People like to say Threshold is the worst Voyager ep, but it really is Tattoo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People always select from the ones that are interesting enough to be memorable. They forget much of the bland pablum they've choked down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

People always select from the ones that are interesting enough to be memorable. They forget much of the bland pablum they've choked down.

Tattoo and The Outcast are bad in the sense of being genuinely offensive, not just bad or boring. It’s the absolute worst level.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well that's the thing, it really is dull as gently caress and that makes it hard to critically analyze because one likely slept through most of it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

95% of Threshold is a perfectly average Star Trek episode but then lizard Kathy and lizard Tom hosed. If it weren't for the lizard babies at the end we would barely remember it

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My vote for worst Voyager episode goes to the one where Janeway's ancestor hangs out in the midwest on New Year's Eve 1999. Just absolutely a bunch of nothing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

My vote for worst Voyager episode goes to the one where Janeway's ancestor hangs out in the midwest on New Year's Eve 1999. Just absolutely a bunch of nothing.

Nope. 11:59 is top 10, if not top 5, in the entire series (Voyager, not Star Trek overall). Star Trek on Earth, right now, right here. It’s great.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arivia posted:

Nope. 11:59 is top 10, if not top 5, in the entire series (Voyager, not Star Trek overall). Star Trek on Earth, right now, right here. It’s great.

How do you feel about people from our time getting defrosted by future Starfleet? That’s an existential nightmare for me, honestly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
11:59 is one of the episodes I remember what I was doing and where I was when I saw it because it was so bafflingly awful

I was eating instant mashed potatoes at the time and I remember thinking the episode was still worse

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Star Trek movie but it's Demolition Man on the Enterprise-F

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

How do you feel about people from our time getting defrosted by future Starfleet? That’s an existential nightmare for me, honestly.

It depends on if it's idealistic TNG/VOY/LDS Starfleet or stupid grimdark PIC Starfleet.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
okay I take back a couple of the bad things I said about voyager after watching season one critically but not all of them and some of them are worse now

there's some pretty well put together episodes, normally associated with a good acting performance or two- "faces" and "jetrel" in particular, and others like "learning curve"/"heroes and demons"/"state of flux" wouldn't be out of place as enjoyable mid-tier tng episodes

the bad is still pretty loving bad though, some really bad pacing issues, failure to engage the actors/bad writing, insanity strength technobabble, jamake highwater bullshit and sometimes just straight up boring- watched "cathexis" twice and drifted off both times

finding season 2 a similar mix at the moment, though right now paris and neelix are quarreling (pasta fight!) over the romantic affections of a two year old girl a few episodes after one where she was going to get pregnant by one of them and it feels more than a little creepy tbh

Arivia posted:

prime directive bitch

like basically janeway's whole thing is that she can't make things any worse, so she destroys the array so the kazon don't get it. means she can't do any more to help the ocampans, but like she says to the caretaker, they've got to grow up sometime.

voyager probably ended up making things better for them in the end by leaving the kazon a splat on the shields as they zoom away at top speed, anyway.

I guess I would have just hoped for some kind of closure on it, like they warn the ocampans to get their poo poo together in the time they have left- I'm guessing we never find out what happened there

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

95% of Threshold is a perfectly average Star Trek episode but then lizard Kathy and lizard Tom hosed. If it weren't for the lizard babies at the end we would barely remember it

This is nuts, the episode treats both Trek science and real science with all the respect and coherence of any random paragraph of Time Cube, it's 42 minutes of :techno: mad libs capped off with salamander gently caress larva.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, Threshold is really a lot of the absolute worst things about Trek and I don't think my brain can ever even manage to dump it into the so bad it's good bucket. It's just bad. It's the kind of Star Trek episode where the plot doesn't really exist, because it's just a long string of meaningless technobabble problems addressed by meaningless technobabble solutions. The resolution is almost a straight-up non sequitur.

Voyager is worse than most Trek when it comes to technobabble, but Threshold takes it to another level.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Roadie posted:

It depends on if it's idealistic TNG/VOY/LDS Starfleet or stupid grimdark PIC Starfleet.

The idealistic one is worse, for me. Everybody silently pitying the backwards 21st century rube that had to be run through the transporter twice to catch all the fast food based carcinogens in his body.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Oh yeah, it'd be just awful to wake up in a luxury communist paradise where all of my medical issues could be treated with a blue beam once a year, any job I did would be one I actually wanted to do instead of one I needed just to survive, and the worst "hovel" we've seen on Earth had a beautiful view, a private garden, and no neighbors for miles.

That would be terrible. 🙄

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That kind of reminds me I loved the episode's B plot with Kira being pregnant with Kirayoshi and Miles looking after her only for them to realise they are starting to crush on each other hard and trying to find any excuse to not hang out only for Keiko to be like "Why doesn't Miles help you with that?" and by the end they are about to go on a weekend to Bajor together that happens to accidentally be the most romantic place imaginable, so Miles is just like "gently caress it, I'm out. If anyone asks I got held up and missed the shuttle. Keiko will kill me for that but it will be better than this..." and Kira's like "Yeah, go, that's a good move. *miles hesitates* GO!" I thought it was a rather funny farce.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the alt reading of the ep where Keiko 100% knew and was pushing for a polycule.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it works because despite being awkward comedy, it doesn't feel cringy because it's not coming from anyone doing anything wrong. It's just a really weird situation. No one's saying anything that's being taken out of context, or misunderstanding a situation in a painfully embarrassing way that makes you want to crawl out of your skin, it's just naturally strange and not forced.

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I like the alt reading of the ep where Keiko 100% knew and was pushing for a polycule.

This is how I choose to read it. Keiko wants Kira to finally be with a man who wasn't the living embodiment of beige.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

8one6 posted:

This is how I choose to read it. Keiko wants Kira to finally be with a man who wasn't the living embodiment of beige.

But O'Brien is the living embodiment of bij.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like his attitude, like when Worf is complaining about how none of the components work properly because of it being from the tech of three different races and it's constantly falling apart, and o'Brian's just like "I know, isn't it great? I have so much to do, on the enterprise it was just 'Push button to beam' "

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish village episodes are the worst voyager episodes, hands down

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

MikeJF posted:

There's a separate ep where she plays telephone to trick Miles and Julian into speaking again after a falling out, and I'm sure there's a few others where this comes up. Keiko is 100% down for Miles to have a sidepiece.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love that both of them know that just existing in their marriage won't be enough for either of them, so she makes sure he knows he can engage with his hobbies, and he makes sure she has time to pursue her career in botany. They don't take it personally, it's just how they work.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
"This is my husband Miles, and this is his boyfriend Julian, and our girlfriend Nerys."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Irish village episodes are the worst voyager episodes, hands down
It's this

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

8one6 posted:

Oh yeah, it'd be just awful to wake up in a luxury communist paradise where all of my medical issues could be treated with a blue beam once a year, any job I did would be one I actually wanted to do instead of one I needed just to survive, and the worst "hovel" we've seen on Earth had a beautiful view, a private garden, and no neighbors for miles.

That would be terrible. 🙄

Somebody needs a Mr. Suru hug.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Abe Vigoda Tommy boy! Could ya spare a bit o'gold for me drinkin' habit? Hiddly hiddly ho!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Knormal posted:

wow I really buried that one in my memory

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW something amusing about Kate Mulgrew - she was in a sci-fi PS2 game called Run Like Hell, as the ships doctor. It's a fun game with some interesting ideas and decent characterisation.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
holy gently caress tattoo is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Part of the reason I remember 11:59 was that it had John Carroll Lynch, who also had a regular supporting role on The Drew Carey Show. Lynch played Drew's older, cross-dressing brother