Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bus hustler posted:

Doesn't it take like 30 minutes to fully respec an endgame character, as in literally like 30 minutes of sitting there in menus? And that's if you are following more-or-less a guide rather than sitting there picking your own skills. I dunno it's kind of a bummer to spend that much time for nothing, but also there's never ever been a guarantee that all builds will work for all content in diablo

As opposed to spending 70 hours making a whole new endgame character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I thought Ancestral gear would have the same kind of drop-rate as Sacred gear did but this junk is really rare - at least rare for the amount of effort you have to put into Tier 4. If I wanted to be showered with sacred gear I'd just play in Tier 3 where I could breeze through enemies and get tons of decent to good drops instead of getting near one-shot killed by some nonsense.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think it took me about 7 minutes to respec my entire board at level 90 to switch over to my planned endgame build. the time i spent planning it out was way more but if you're just copying someone else's build it shouldn't take that long.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A majority of your drops will be Ancestral once you're doing nightmare dungeons at a high enough tier. Probably 30 or so.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jimbot posted:

Man, I thought Ancestral gear would have the same kind of drop-rate as Sacred gear did but this junk is really rare - at least rare for the amount of effort you have to put into Tier 4. If I wanted to be showered with sacred gear I'd just play in Tier 3 where I could breeze through enemies and get tons of decent to good drops instead of getting near one-shot killed by some nonsense.

There's looots of levels of nightmare dungeons, upgrade what you can with ancestrals and keep pushing. Pretty soon a majority of the drops you get in dungeons will be ancestral and some Sacred.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, that's good to know. Even the lauded mystery chest in Helltide didn't give me any Ancestral gear and that bummed me the heck out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RBX posted:

Yeah like im not trying to do fuckin math equations while choosing what gear to keep, some people do and that's why I follow them.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah if left to my own devices I'll just pick what sounds cool and have my poo poo spread out all over. Those paragon boards make my eyes glaze over. poo poo like +x% is not interesting to me so I'll let some math nerd figure it out so I can mash buttons

everything in the game has big flashing lights and underlines on single words on skills that you can just match up and ignore everything else and faceroll anything that isnt the top end of end game. do u guys just want cookie clicker.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the butcher is the only good boss and also items are too good. they should be nerfed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The problem is when you try to do something on your own that is cool and fun (like say, a Walking Arsenal/Iron Maelstrom build for Barb) you find out pretty quick that even if you have invested a lot time and resources on gear, skills, paragons etc you still fall flat on your face the moment you try something in T4.

On a totally unrelated note, can Blizzard maybe buff WA and or IM. Or at least make a change where not taking all three shouts is shooting your self in the foot on every build ever.

by moment you try something t4 do you mean just doing like normal t4 dungeons or what bcos i do not believe that is possible lol

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I have seen people claim that monsters at level 90+ have the highest chance to drop ancestral items. In my personal experience I seemed to get a lot more ancestrals when I went from t30 dungeons to 40+

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hell Yeah posted:

the butcher is the only good boss and also items are too good. they should be nerfed.

I had some weird luck yesterday because in a streak of 7 dungeons I got the butcher 5 times.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

I had some weird luck yesterday because in a streak of 7 dungeons I got the butcher 5 times.

I've seen the butcher at least a dozen times. He just really seems to like me. Including back-to-back dungeons when I was playing coop with a friend, who had previously seen him like once in like 60 levels up until that point.

Despite all this I still don't have his cosmetic. :negative:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I had a run of NM dungeons where the Butcher showed up at least every other dungeon, and sometimes 2-3 times in a row. Fought him 8 or 9 times in the course of two days. Still don't have his stupid horse trophy, somehow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm still just playing the campaign (lvl 43) and was wondering if the Rogue has any other abilities than rapid fire that is good at outputing a lot of damage to single enemy. I've tried a lot of stuff and almost every good rogue ability is basically AOE/mob control stuff except rapid fire which is pretty good at taking out most enemies in 1-2 hits as well as against bosses, but I am also kind of sick of using it since I have been using it basically the whole game.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still just playing the campaign (lvl 43) and was wondering if the Rogue has any other abilities than rapid fire that is good at outputing a lot of damage to single enemy. I've tried a lot of stuff and almost every good rogue ability is basically AOE/mob control stuff except rapid fire which is pretty good at taking out most enemies in 1-2 hits as well as against bosses, but I am also kind of sick of using it since I have been using it basically the whole game.

Use poison imbue and impetus together

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

everything in the game has big flashing lights and underlines on single words on skills that you can just match up and ignore everything else and faceroll anything that isnt the top end of end game. do u guys just want cookie clicker.

Ok

Let's say you have a barbarian that can make enemies vulnerable, slow and stunned. What would you choose among +vulnerable dmg%, +slowed dmg%, +crowd controlled dmg% on your weapons, and why.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

did you read what i said or not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but also lets pretend u do care about being efficient with that bcos you want to do deeper nm dungeons: you just pick vulnerable. theres no situation where you dont pick vulnerable. if vulnerable isnt an option then it literally doesnt matter which one you pick. this isnt doing maths, its remembering a single name is better.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So glad I restarted at a Barb. Been having a blast. I wrote the game off as poo with my failed necro build. This dude is just so much fun and the world events are fun as hell.

Have they said if they're going to add an LFG/Quick Grouping type system? I feel like the game really needs this.

Also, put some bigger bumpers on the horse.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SettingSun posted:

The skills are like 2 minutes but you have to respec every node of the paragon board by one by one (why did they do it this way lmao) but even that doesn't take too long.

If I had to respec five boards' worth of paragons on a controller I'd probably rather spend those hours playing another game. In answer to your question: D2 people and ~investment~. You can't just tell people they can't respec, because it's 2023 and you'd sound like an idiot, but on the other hand you can't offer them free and easy respecs because that offends 1999 sensibilities. So you need an expense and an annoyance tax, but hopefully not painful and expensive enough to make everyone not into D2 angry enough to rage about it. Gotta split the difference on everything.

The whole "Season 1 content is redoing renown" thing is the first thing they've done that I don't think appeals to anyone.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Jimbot posted:

It’s based on the monster level. Much like wt 1/2 and 3 as you get closer to the end of the level curve you get better loot.

Kawabata posted:

Ok

Let's say you have a barbarian that can make enemies vulnerable, slow and stunned. What would you choose among +vulnerable dmg%, +slowed dmg%, +crowd controlled dmg% on your weapons, and why.

Stux’s post is correct and he already explained elsewhere in this thread, but everything but vuln and crit gets added together and treated as base damage. From your paragon board you will eventually get several hundred percent added this way. Vulnerable damage and crit acts as a multiplier on your base damage.

This sounds complicated, but the net result is you want vuln, crit chance, crit damage everywhere you can get them (note: skip crit if you’re running a dot build). For everything else bigger numbers are better, but the effect is much smaller.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

did you read what i said or not

You have no idea how to choose between those, and that's because the game isn't explaining you the difference or giving you an easy way to calculate your real dps. Millions of players have the same issue, that's why people just copy the latest meta build.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Jaytan posted:

Stux’s post is correct and he already explained elsewhere in this thread,

stux didn't even answer because he doesn't know. cc or slow if you can both stun and slow? and why?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kawabata posted:

You have no idea how to choose between those, and that's because the game isn't explaining you the difference or giving you an easy way to calculate your real dps. Millions of players have the same issue, that's why people just copy the latest meta build.

you do not need to know because the game does not challenge a build until you are hitting 20+ level deficits on nm dungeons. you can just pick anything with matching keywords and clear 90% of the game without problem. if you are not doing even that or are clicking skills on the tree at random and not ones which support your main skill, you will have issues, and millions of people around the world are brain dead.

Kawabata posted:

stux didn't even answer because he doesn't know. cc or slow if you can both stun and slow? and why?

oh? vulnerable isnt part of the question now? lol. gg.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Clocks posted:

I've seen the butcher at least a dozen times. He just really seems to like me. Including back-to-back dungeons when I was playing coop with a friend, who had previously seen him like once in like 60 levels up until that point.

Despite all this I still don't have his cosmetic. :negative:

I’m level 60 and I’ve see him at least a dozen times as well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mailer posted:

If I had to respec five boards' worth of paragons on a controller I'd probably rather spend those hours playing another game. In answer to your question: D2 people and ~investment~. You can't just tell people they can't respec, because it's 2023 and you'd sound like an idiot, but on the other hand you can't offer them free and easy respecs because that offends 1999 sensibilities. So you need an expense and an annoyance tax, but hopefully not painful and expensive enough to make everyone not into D2 angry enough to rage about it. Gotta split the difference on everything.

The whole "Season 1 content is redoing renown" thing is the first thing they've done that I don't think appeals to anyone.

its not d2, its every arpg that isnt d3. youre the weird ones.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

T3 is feeling pretty good, but I will say that it feels like the primary way this game ratchets up the difficulty is just by adding more CC, which is kinda annoying. Feels like that's going to be really obnoxious in T4 when there are so many enemies with big wind-ups that can just straight up one-shot you. The spiders are particularly egregious but there have been a lot of times where I just found myself getting chain-stunned with no way to escape if my unstoppable skill was on cooldown. I know there's only so many ways you can really make it more difficult without either dumping a ton of CC on your head or making enemies feel like absurd HP sponges, but it never feels good to die because you just can't perform any actions.

Interesting to compare it to PoE, where you can functionally make yourself immune to CC through extremely meticulous skill / gear selection, but then randomly die instantaneously when a big hit manages to punch through your block / dodge chance.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Stux posted:

if vulnerable isnt an option then it literally doesnt matter which one you pick

wrong

Stux posted:

oh? vulnerable isnt part of the question now? lol. gg.

this is a decent deflection and it might actually give you enough time to google the difference between the 2 affixes

youre welcome my friend

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

i didn't know to specifically prioritise vulnerable (because it's not particularly obvious in game) so i for one am glad we've got one guy getting weirdly aggressive to let us know

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i've seen the butcher twice at almost 60 fwiw

did my first WORLD BOSS and didn't get any dope mount skins, day ruined

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I would assume "slow" is counted as a type of CC, so preference toward vuln% > crowdcontrol% > slow% in that order.

Also game seems fun, is 80+gb really the norm for AAA poo poo nowadays?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kawabata posted:

wrong

this is a decent deflection and it might actually give you enough time to google the difference between the 2 affixes

youre welcome my friend

if you didnt want the answer of pick vulnerable you shouldnt have asked if you take vulnerable or not

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
it's only 40ish gb without the high res textures if you have the choice, not sure how all platforms work

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My Thorns Barb went nuts when I put a max roll "up to 50% armor when damaging enemies" defiance aspect on an amulet, making it 75%. According to the tooltip, I have so much armor that enemies of equal level have 100% of physical damage prevented (almost 10000 armor). At level 60 I was soloing a lot of WT4 dungeons with level 75 enemies.

Also the Aspect that gives a 5000+ hitpoint barrier when damaging an elite is incredibly good since thorns makes it trigger the first time they hit you. It works like the invincibility bubble except it doesn't block thorns from proccing like the bubble does, and it can go off when you're at full health to give you a nice overshield that lets the 75% armor asepct ramp up.

Is there any way to increase the "armor contribution" tooltip that says my armor also prevents 50% as much elemental damage?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

sushibandit posted:

I would assume "slow" is counted as a type of CC, so preference toward vuln% > crowdcontrol% > slow% in that order.

Also game seems fun, is 80+gb really the norm for AAA poo poo nowadays?

it is, but you can turn off the hi-resolution texture pack and save 40GB

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SettingSun posted:

Rogue: Stab stab or thwip thwip with a side of traps
Druid: Rawr I'm a tearing poo poo up as a werebeast and also here have a tornado

This is good. Is stab stab or thwip thwip better?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blizzard marketing good

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Interesting to compare it to PoE, where you can functionally make yourself immune to CC through extremely meticulous skill / gear selection, but then randomly die instantaneously when a big hit manages to punch through your block / dodge chance.

Barbs and Druids managing to keep near-100% Unstoppable uptime is the reason you see them where they are. That and armor because oops resistance doesn't work. Hell even your cc doesn't matter when mobs will preempt it with theirs.

Kawabata posted:

Like I get your point, but you're arguing with a gimmick so...

Go get your builds that someone with more free time than you has spreadsheeted out and have fun playing them... or don't, I'm not your boss. If you actually wanted the multipliers here ya go. No, nothing ever tells you that and the game's use of [+] and [x] is inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Ok

+vuln damage, and then any of the other damage affixes that is relevant to your build assuming your crit chance is low . Critdmg/Vuln/Strength are all separate multipliers to your total damage, while every other form of +% damage on your gear is added together into its own category. You don't want to overstack a single "category" of multiplicative damage due to diminishing returns, and since almost every form of damage goes into that "other" category, its almost always going to be more damage for a high level players to purse main stat/crit/vuln damage over the "other" category. At the end of the day its gonna depend on your build and what you get from your paragon board and glyphs.

Lets say your character has 400 strength, 0% vuln damage, +100% damage to slowed enemies, +100% damage to cc'd enemies, and +100% damage to bleeding enemies (we will assume you apply bleed and slow 100% of the time for this example.

Your character's damage "categories" are Strength (+40% damage) (Vuln +50% damage) Crit damage (+0% for this example - let's say your crit chance is really low) + all other instances of +% damage (+ 300%).

You get a new piece of gear and when you enchant a bad stat off it you get the option to pick +50% damage to slow enemies or +50% vuln damage. Since you already have +300% damage for the last category, 50 more is only an increase of 16% damage for that whole category. Since you have 50% Vuln, adding another 50% would be a 100% increase in damage for that category. Early and mid game you aren't going to have +300% of a bunch of different damage types, so its not important what damage stats you go for. For an end-game player, however, you get a bunch of damage in that last category from your paragon board and glyphs.