Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Nobody ever explains what the dwarves do to make the maggots "purr"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It isn't milking them, that's for sure. You milk purring maggots like you milk almonds.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
gonna have a nice human meat steak with my human milk and vegan human butter replacement topped grass seed bread for my hominid friend

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It isn't milking them, that's for sure. You milk purring maggots like you milk almonds.

I bet purring is just what the word "pureeing" turned into over time in dwarf.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So I've been playing a new fortress (Once you have hell conquored and more adamantine wafers than iron in the stockpile its probably time to move on lol) and its been almost boringly quiet (I think the next ones going to be in an evil zone or perhaps amongst a lot of gobbo pits) and doing really well.

Anyway , digging deep, encountered a diamond cluster, started work on it, and managed to unleash a "Goat Fiend".

Which was immediately beaten to death by a small child. Im gonna build a statue of that little dude lol.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

You milk purring maggots like you milk almonds.

Soaking them in water?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Leal posted:

Soaking them in water?

With a blender.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Their best.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Screw press

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No, whatever the dwarves do in the farmer's workshop to milk them doesn't kill them.

I'm not sure if the bug which makes tame ones unmilkable is still in though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Purring maggots got titties

i dont know what to tell you guys

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hihohe posted:

Purring maggots got titties

i dont know what to tell you guys

More like purrfect maggots

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Leal posted:

Soaking them in water?

activating my maggots

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zereth posted:

No, whatever the dwarves do in the farmer's workshop to milk them doesn't kill them.

I'm not sure if the bug which makes tame ones unmilkable is still in though.

Really? I haven't seen purring maggots since the 2d days, but I thought the reaction killed them. After so many years the whole game is like a fever dream tho.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Not only are they still around, they have sprites.

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1589308631161372673

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If it is a maggot does it eventually metamorphize into an insect?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Maybe they're neotenous and don't have a separate adult form.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

If it is a maggot does it eventually metamorphize into an insect?

I think they definitely don't but this would be a pretty cool easter egg for toady to put in for anybody who lets their world run for a few thousand years.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
They're Forgotten Beast larvae

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They pupate into insect- people

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I'm going to assume those are distended nipples rather than legs.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
They're the larval stage of dwarven babies

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

moller posted:

I'm going to assume those are distended nipples rather than legs.

Dwarf Fortress: distended nipples rather than legs

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Sooooo turns out raiding Necromancer towers leads to !FUN!

Having basically made the gobbos nearly extinct in the west of the map, then driven out the humans and elfs, I decided to start raiding the south starting with a necromancer tower. Sent in two squads.

6 dorfs come back.

I'm thinking.... OK... Thats unfortunate, and recruit another batch of useless rangers and peasants into stock it up and back into training.

A year later an entire army of necromancers, weird looking beasts , experiment "Hand of nights" and zombies roll in looking to exact revenge.

Out of the 5 squads I had up there fighting, we prevailed, but only 15 dwarves survived (Including, interestingly enough my entire hammerboys squad) . That was bloody......

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

duck monster posted:

Sooooo turns out raiding Necromancer towers leads to !FUN!

Having basically made the gobbos nearly extinct in the west of the map, then driven out the humans and elfs, I decided to start raiding the south starting with a necromancer tower. Sent in two squads.

6 dorfs come back.

I'm thinking.... OK... Thats unfortunate, and recruit another batch of useless rangers and peasants into stock it up and back into training.

A year later an entire army of necromancers, weird looking beasts , experiment "Hand of nights" and zombies roll in looking to exact revenge.

Out of the 5 squads I had up there fighting, we prevailed, but only 15 dwarves survived (Including, interestingly enough my entire hammerboys squad) . That was bloody......

Hammerdwarves have a niche use in undead removal. Basically the hammerdwarf can use the force of the hammer to completely pulp the various body parts of reanimated undead, which is good because when a zombie hand gets sliced off (for example) the necromancer can just cast a spell and reanimate the hand to continue attacking dwarves. If the body parts are pulped they get destroyed completely enough that the necromancer can't do any reanimation.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Combat in raids tends to be lop-sided. Most of the time, it's in your favor, especially if your guys are kitted in steel; they can stomp through hordes of goblins and undead without taking a scratch, and gaining tons of weapon and fighting levels, to boot.

But sometimes they end up meeting The Ultimate Badass. Some named world gen character who's legendary+a million at whooping your dwarves' asses. I think all fights on foreign soil are simulated as 1v1s, so even if you got 30 legendary dudes to take on John "Donkeydevil" Wick, they won't put a dent in him unless you get a lucky dice roll or something.

I ran into my badass in some random ~10 goblin pit. I had conquered fortress of hundreds full of ogres and beak dogs, and I could not get this one guy to die and make this tiny hostile speck on my map go away.

On foreign raids, personally I don't notice a difference in using the worst weapons to fight undead (spears) vs the best weapons for fighting them (maces & hammers). Might just be a weapon quality thing, or raid simulations more graciously count dismembered or perforated enemies as "dead" in ways normal battles wouldn't.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Appoda posted:

On foreign raids, personally I don't notice a difference in using the worst weapons to fight undead (spears) vs the best weapons for fighting them (maces & hammers). Might just be a weapon quality thing, or raid simulations more graciously count dismembered or perforated enemies as "dead" in ways normal battles wouldn't.

It could honestly just be as simple as the battle being simulated as one on one combat means the zombie is present but the presumably nearby necromancer who could hypothetically keep on reanimating dead body parts isn't actually simulated.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

reignofevil posted:

It could honestly just be as simple as the battle being simulated as one on one combat means the zombie is present but the presumably nearby necromancer who could hypothetically keep on reanimating dead body parts isn't actually simulated.

I think it's literally exactly this.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Appoda posted:

Combat in raids tends to be lop-sided. Most of the time, it's in your favor, especially if your guys are kitted in steel; they can stomp through hordes of goblins and undead without taking a scratch, and gaining tons of weapon and fighting levels, to boot.

But sometimes they end up meeting The Ultimate Badass. Some named world gen character who's legendary+a million at whooping your dwarves' asses. I think all fights on foreign soil are simulated as 1v1s, so even if you got 30 legendary dudes to take on John "Donkeydevil" Wick, they won't put a dent in him unless you get a lucky dice roll or something.

I ran into my badass in some random ~10 goblin pit. I had conquered fortress of hundreds full of ogres and beak dogs, and I could not get this one guy to die and make this tiny hostile speck on my map go away.

The raiding party that came back at me had multiple worldgen looking demon type dudes with titles and poo poo. I did my usual stunt with that army and specifically ordered that the necromancers die first to stop them ressing the others, then went after all the mid levels with my cannon fodder while sending my legendaries after the big guys. Most of the big guys turned and ran once the necros went down.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I see adventure mode dropped, and I'm really considering jumping into this mess of a game after watching it on the sidelines for a decade. I'm a huge traditional roguelike fan, and I'm hoping there is hjkl controls for this. Time to find out!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Adventure mode has not dropped yet!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

I see adventure mode dropped, and I'm really considering jumping into this mess of a game after watching it on the sidelines for a decade. I'm a huge traditional roguelike fan, and I'm hoping there is hjkl controls for this. Time to find out!
Looking at the news post on steam I think he's started work on it, but there's a ways to go.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm guessing this is a party fort.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Goddamn it , the zone un-assignment crash is still there. Super frusturating :/

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

It'll be a few months yet. Strongly advise getting the game now and learning fortress mode because you'll be bringing a *lot* of that learning over in terms of monsters, and generally how the world works.

Plus fortress mode is fucken fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Have they updated dfhack for threading yet?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Have they updated dfhack for threading yet?

We haven't gotten the multithreading update yet so I doubt it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/kruggsmash/status/1673473184815804416?t=0Fu791Unu8msuyIVL8nlTQ&s=19

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

We haven't gotten the multithreading update yet so I doubt it.

It's here!

Toady One posted:

Release notes for 50.09 (June 28, 2023):

In this release, we're updating the engine from SDL to SDL2, and there are many optimizations to go along with it. Aside from the optimizations, SDL2 is also the stepping stone to ports. We have Linux compiling and playable; it just needs some testing.

Moreover, there is now a(n experimental) multithreading option in the game settings that makes the game even faster!

We also have some new individual tree graphics, and an update to grass ramps as well.

This has been mostly the hard work of Putnam! Meanwhile I've started up on adventure mode - the long work of updating menus and adding audio has begun! Hopefully we'll have some progress to show their soon, as we continue updating fortress mode as well.

New stuff
(*) Updated to SDL2 and made many surrounding changes. Various performance gains!
(*) Experimental multithreading is available from game settings.

Graphics additions/changes
(*) Some more trees now have individual graphics (maple, willow, cedar, larch, kapok, papaya, macademia.)
(*) Updated some ramp images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

its_happening.gif