Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
"OK, bye" remains the go-to when dealing with salesman horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

All Dealers Are Bastards

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

we don't accept cash lol. wait wehre are you going. we can make an exception!! salesman of the year

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just say "okay I'll take the loan. There's no issue if I pay it off after the first payment right?"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mustache Ride posted:

Just say "okay I'll take the loan. There's no issue if I pay it off after the first payment right?"

If you ask that, they'll be sure to add a non-repayment clause to your contract ASAP

I am laughing at "the least shady" part

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitrox posted:

I am laughing at "the least shady" part

There's a dealer around me that modifies every new car they sell to make the brake lights flash, they change $800 for the privilege and will never budge on it. They must sell a decent volume of cars because whenever there's traffic on the freeway it's a sea of flashing brake lights.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I hate those fuckin things and I think if anything they make things less safe. Ford dealer here does it (as do others) and charged $499 IIRC but I told them under no circumstances are they allowed to put that poo poo on my special ordered Bronco and they said they wouldn't.

Then, of course, they did. And tried to charge me for it. I showed them the email where they said they wouldn't and they took the charge off. Not sure if they took the actual unit off since they're like $3 pieces of poo poo, I've never seen my own brake lights to check.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When I was shopping Accords back in 2018 and did the email-every-dealer-within-500-miles thing, there was one in Houston that had like some 2k dealer add-on package they told me was non-negotiable and put on every car. I thanked them for crossing themselves off my list early

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Raere posted:

I'm going through with a purchase of a new Corolla at a Toyota dealership and I had a weird experience that I wanted to see if other people had heard of or experienced.

After calling around I went into the dealership that seemed like they were the least shady and put some money down to reserve one. The sales guy asked me if I was planning on financing or paying cash and I said I wasn't sure yet (almost certain I'd pay cash but I know you're supposed to keep that close to the vest because they may give you a better deal if they think you'll finance.) Toward the end he had me fill out a financing form with some basic info. I repeated I wasn't sure yet if I was going to finance or not and he said they have everyone who's unsure fill it out so they have it ready to go if I do go down that route, so I did - I figure it's their ploy to reduce friction to encourage me to finance when the car comes in.

Fast forward to today, I get the call that the car is arriving Monday so I should be ready to come in soon to finalize the sale. I ask the sales guy (same guy I dealt with before) for specifics so I can get my cashier's check as I've decided I'm paying in cash. He tells me that the dealership does not accept cash payment, you can only finance. What's more, they do not allow outside finance, I can only get a loan through them. I let him know that was not disclosed when we originally made a deal and was certainly not brought up when I mentioned the possibility of paying cash. He tells me to come down so I can speak to a manager.

The sales manager says they'll "make an exception" and let me pay cash for the sale. He points to my filled finance form as evidence that I wanted to finance. I repeated exactly what his sales guy had told me about just having one at the ready. In any case he is magnanimously allowing me to proceed with the payment method of my choice. In hindsight being forced to fill out the form feels like a setup.

Am I alone in thinking that's shady as gently caress and unheard of? Or is this the new normal?

Call Toyota and bitch. They may do nothing but gently caress those guys.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah name and shame

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Proposed Budget: $50k, reluctantly
New or Used: Probably new, but open to CPO used
Body Style: Large SUV or Minivan
How will you be using the car?: 30-minute commute 2x weekly; transporting 2 (soon to be 3) kids & dogs. Occasional road trips.
What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability, cost of ownership, CarPlay

My wife drives a 2019 Mazda CX-5, and we would trade/sell it when we buy something bigger. Top options at this point are Sienna (Hybrid), Odyssey, or a Highlander Grand (Hybrid). Anything else we should test drive?

We dont really want to buy anything this year, but will need a different car by next spring and are wary of new car delays. Do dealers vary widely in how rigid they are when it comes to preorder timing? (If we put a deposit down on a car, are we entirely at the mercy of the dealer/manufacturer timeline?) Do Toyota or Honda have particularly good/bad reputations with regard to bullshit markups?

How stupid would it be to hound dealerships within 500 miles for the car we want rather than place an order? Are used car prices returning to anything resembling normal?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you're going regional in your car search, it'd save you a lot of time to know exactly which vehicle, trim and options you're looking for first. Otherwise you'll be drowned in options quickly.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

GhostOfTomNook posted:

My wife drives a 2019 Mazda CX-5, and we would trade/sell it when we buy something bigger. Top options at this point are Sienna (Hybrid), Odyssey, or a Highlander Grand (Hybrid). Anything else we should test drive?

Do you like the overall Mazda UX? (Not the just infotainment, since CarPlay, but layout of everything and their cabin design) If so, what about the CX-90 PHEV?

Its in your price ballpark, 3 rows, you seem interested in getting on the hybrid side of things, and it may be a better bang for your buck than the highlander if you are ok with CUV instead of minivan

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Colinrobinson posted:

Do you like the overall Mazda UX? (Not the just infotainment, since CarPlay, but layout of everything and their cabin design) If so, what about the CX-90 PHEV?

It’s in your price ballpark, 3 rows, you seem interested in getting on the hybrid side of things, and it may be a better bang for your buck than the highlander if you are ok with CUV instead of minivan

Why not a Pacifica PHEV at that point? Those also come with a $7500 tax credit on them that you don't get with anything japanese.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Well at least test drive the CX-90 PHEV, but its feeling like were in minivan territory. The Pacifica Hybrid is high on my list but itll be a hard sell for the Mrs (this will be her primary car). Good suggestions, thanks goons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If it's your wife's car - what does she want? Then assuming it's not a totally stupid idea you should just go buy that. Nobody benefits from trying to talk their spouse in to a car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it's your wife's car - what does she want? Then assuming it's not a totally stupid idea you should just go buy that. Nobody benefits from trying to talk their spouse in to a car.

I talked my spouse into an M4.

Yes you're going to joke about it being ugly and say I'm making your point. Har har.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You should buy your wife a Pontiac Aztek - it'll automatically make her look better in comparison

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Well at least test drive the CX-90 PHEV, but its feeling like were in minivan territory. The Pacifica Hybrid is high on my list but itll be a hard sell for the Mrs (this will be her primary car). Good suggestions, thanks goons.

You are definitely in minivan territory. The 3rd row of any SUV, I don't care how big it is (I have an Expedition) is for occasional use only by someone under the age of 18 and hopefully over the age of 9. You will hate your life if you try to use a car seat back there. People do it all the time, but it's not a fun experience.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Yeah, Im not going to insist on a *checks notes* Chrysler Pacifica, so it seems like well end up with a Sienna Hybrid. I get the sense that Toyota dealers are being lovely with regard to markups and delays. Any general advice for getting ripped off as little as possible buying a new car in 2023?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Yeah, Im not going to insist on a *checks notes* Chrysler Pacifica, so it seems like well end up with a Sienna Hybrid. I get the sense that Toyota dealers are being lovely with regard to markups and delays. Any general advice for getting ripped off as little as possible buying a new car in 2023?

Shop around. There are some Toyota dealers near me that are lovely with the markups and dealer installed accessories, and there are others that aren't. I'm in a fairly major metro area (San Antonio) and I can easily shop Austin and Houston area dealers as well. If you can get one at MSRP with very little bullshit added to it, I would go for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good luck getting a new sienna hybrid

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

euphronius posted:

Good luck getting a new sienna hybrid

All Toyota Siennas are hybrid now. There is no other powertrain option.

There are 2 according to Toyota's website within 50 miles of me actually on the lot. It shouldn't be hard to get on the list for an in transit one though

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I have two dealerships nearish to me in the boonies and one has what appears to be anywhere from $1k-$5k markup compared to sticker. Absolutely shop around to anywhere you're willing to drive to to buy a vehicle.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Good place to start is trying to find some of the MSRP only google sheets people keep for the GR and 4runners and see if those dealers do the same thing on Siennas. GR Corrola one. Theres a couple more out there.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Mustache Ride posted:

Good place to start is trying to find some of the MSRP only google sheets people keep for the GR and 4runners and see if those dealers do the same thing on Siennas. GR Corrola one. Theres a couple more out there.

Awesome. Found the Sienna one.

Love to see $10,000 markup on base models. I'm extremely ready for a car-dealershipless future.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Awesome. Found the Sienna one.

Love to see $10,000 markup on base models. I'm extremely ready for a car-dealershipless future.

A little secret: Most Auto Manufacturers want the dealer model. You think Ford is going to setup a nationwide network of service centers? They're in the auto manufacturing business, not the auto service business.

It's pretty easy to avoid the dealerships with those sort of markups. Worst case you're an 89 dollar Southwest flight away from zero markup.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I'm extremely ready for a car-dealershipless future.

new thread title

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Looking into a new car for a 20 year old after they hit a deer late at night and have 6,000 to spend from their insurance payout.

Proposed Budget: $6,000 -$7,000 max

Body Style: No preference of any kind, but in an ideal world something 4wd as they live in a snowy and hilly area, but some good winter tires are better than going over budget for 4wd

How will you be using the car?: No special use case, just A-B for a kid

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, reliability, reliability.

Everything else is secondary to finding something as low mileage and reliable as can be managed for that budget. I've been looking around at the usual suspects, toyotas and hondas, with a bit of an instinctive aversion to american made cars from growing up in the shitbox US cars era. I know at that price point something really has to give, mileage, condition, brand, age etc. Most of what I can find in that price range is either really high mileage, or really old, obviously, so I'm a bit curious if something lower mileage but older, is better than something higher mileage but newer, if we're talking like a 10 year difference. Like, as low mileage as some honda civic from 2003 might be, its still a 20 year old car at this point, and I don't know if less than 80k miles outweighs that. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction anyways focusing on honda and toyota and ignoring most american cars in that range, or european.

I saw a 100k mile 2011 Jetta right in her price range for instance that looked very clean, but I have no experience whatsoever with volkswagen or german cars, and don't really know if they're reliable or something full of gremlins.

Am I thinking about all this wrong? They just need something they can afford with insurance money that won't be in the shop for them every weekend. Maybe thats just more about due diligence in not getting a lemon though.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
At that price point, I'd say service records and a clean bill of health from a mechanic are more importan than age vs miles. Try to stick to Honda or Toyota, and if you have time to prowl craigslist, check literally once an hour. There are good deals to be had, but they get snapped up quickly. There are also probably 10 scammers for every 1 good deal. Again, biggest thing at that price point is to get a pre-purchase inspection. If they give you a hard time about that, then they are likely hiding something and you should walk away.

That era of Volkswagen has some pretty bad electrical problems, and they are in general annoying/expensive to fix, though usually* reliable if maintenance is not deferred. I would personally avoid them, but you could certainly do a lot worse.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

At that price point, I'd say service records and a clean bill of health from a mechanic are more importan than age vs miles. Try to stick to Honda or Toyota, and if you have time to prowl craigslist, check literally once an hour. There are good deals to be had, but they get snapped up quickly. There are also probably 10 scammers for every 1 good deal. Again, biggest thing at that price point is to get a pre-purchase inspection. If they give you a hard time about that, then they are likely hiding something and you should walk away.

That era of Volkswagen has some pretty bad electrical problems, and they are in general annoying/expensive to fix, though usually* reliable if maintenance is not deferred. I would personally avoid them, but you could certainly do a lot worse.

That era of VW is also going to have either replaced turbos or a turbo that's near failure after a life of mediocre maintenance. I've had several friends VW turbos fail before the rest of the engine or trans.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm guessing a 2011 Jetta probably doesn't have a turbo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's probably a 2.slow so it will need a timing belt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The NCS / A6 Jetta had the 2.slow, the 2.5L 5 cyl, and a TDI option. Just the base models got the 2.slow. Most vehicles shipped were 2.5s. That engine is actually pretty reliable and decently powerful although it is noisy and does not get very good fuel economy.

I'd probably try for like a Chevy Cruze or something like that as a better value. Mazda3s also are decent although most from that era rusted away in to the ether. Avoid Ford Focuses and Fiestas unless you're buying a manual, although Fusions are common and generally a good buy.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I have a 2013 VW 2.0 Jetta with 130k miles. It's held up well and has mostly just needed routine maintenance. The lock cylinder had to be replaced which was annoying. They need fully synthetic oil so oil changes are a little more.

If I were you, I'd prioritize anything that's had regular maintenance and passes a pre purchase inspection.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I need a new vehicle. I think the universe is pointing towards a used 4Runner, but I figured I'd ask some internet ppl because maybe there's something I'm just not thinking about.

Proposed Budget: $30K (+/- $5K)
New or Used: idc.
Body Style: 4 door SUV/hatchback.
How will you be using the car?:

I have two young kids that both need car seats, and I work in construction.

My commute isn't huge, but I'm regularly driving in off-road conditions that require some ground clearance.

I'm also going to be wrenching kids in and out of this thing, so I'd like it to be a bit higher off the ground for the sake of my back. Plus I hunt and fish a lot; so I'm looking for some cargo capacity so I can haul a rife/shotgun/fishing rod/other murder weapon.

I don't tow or haul poo poo, and all I need in the way of gizmos is a solid air conditioner and bluetooth connectivity. (Android Auto would be nice, but not required.) Even bluetooth isn't necessary, but if it's not available, then I'd like a vehicle that makes it relatively easy to replace the stereo.

I don't give a poo poo about gas mileage. (And I'm not opposed to going diesel.)

I live in a old neighborhood w/ relatively narrow streets. Full-size trucks/SUVs are going to run the risk of taking off mirrors. Plus I'd like to be able to parallel park this thing without needing a 50ft of space to do it.

* Reliability/ease of maintenance/parts availability
* LATCH attachments for child seats (Model year 2003 and newer.)
* Bluetooth (I'm a goon, or failing bluetooth as an accessory, some ease in replacing the stereo to a unit that'll have it.)
* Air conditioning. (I live in Texas.)
* Off-road capable (but I'm not bouldering or any poo poo like that.)

TL;DR: recommend me a dad vehicle that's not a Wrangler. gently caress Wrangler ppl.

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 1, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Jake Gittes posted:

I need a new vehicle. I think the universe is pointing towards a used 4Runner, but I figured I'd ask some internet ppl because maybe there's something I'm just not thinking about.

Proposed Budget: $30K (+/- $5K)
New or Used: idc.
Body Style: 4 door SUV/hatchback.
How will you be using the car?:

I have two young kids that both need car seats, and I work in construction.

My commute isn't huge, but I'm regularly driving in off-road conditions that require some ground clearance.

I'm also going to be wrenching kids in and out of this thing, so I'd like it to be a bit higher off the ground for the sake of my back. Plus I hunt and fish a lot; so I'm looking for some cargo capacity so I can haul a rife/shotgun/fishing rod/other murder weapon.

I don't tow or haul poo poo, and all I need in the way of gizmos is a solid air conditioner and bluetooth connectivity. (Android Auto would be nice, but not required.) Even bluetooth isn't necessary, but if it's not available, then I'd like a vehicle that makes it relatively easy to replace the stereo.

I don't give a poo poo about gas mileage. (And I'm not opposed to going diesel.)

I live in a old neighborhood w/ relatively narrow streets. Full-size trucks/SUVs are going to run the risk of taking off mirrors. Plus I'd like to be able to parallel park this thing without needing a 50ft of space to do it.

* Reliability/ease of maintenance/parts availability
* LATCH attachments for child seats (Model year 2003 and newer.)
* Bluetooth (I'm a goon, or failing bluetooth as an accessory, some ease in replacing the stereo to a unit that'll have it.)
* Air conditioning. (I live in Texas.)
* Off-road capable (but I'm not bouldering or any poo poo like that.)

TL;DR: recommend me a dad vehicle that's not a Wrangler. gently caress Wrangler ppl.

4 runner is a solid choice, but about to be revamped in the next year or two if that bothers you. just buy it new imo, you'll get a lower interest rates, unless I'm mistaken used 4runners still go for way too high to not just get it new with lower interest. if you want to upgrade later (I would personally wait until the new models are a few years in) you'll also get more back

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 1, 2023

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I've read about the new 4Runners, but I'm not a fan that they're probably A) switching to a turbo charged motors and B) switching to a unibody construction. I figure sticking with the tried and true air-sucking NA V6 will serve me better for reliability and parts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

They need fully synthetic oil so oil changes are a little more.

I would not be surprised if this was the case for almost all new cars these days. Manufacturers either specify an oil so thin that it only exists as synthetic (0w20, 0w16, etc) or they require a spec that outright calls out full synthetic like GM dexos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would not be surprised if this was the case for almost all new cars these days. Manufacturers either specify an oil so thin that it only exists as synthetic (0w20, 0w16, etc) or they require a spec that outright calls out full synthetic like GM dexos.

Indeed. This juices another .5 MPG for their CAFE numbers.

I just spent $75 on a couple gallons of 0-20 for the big dumb 5.7l in the land cruiser. (Which is now prominently marked as dexos 1 gen 3 compliant)