Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The voice acting isn't even American...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

That sure is an advanced level of weird.

I'd hope the "Japanese game, so Japanese audio, target language be damned" people were at least consistent. Polish dub of The Witcher games, and show! Estonian fandub of Disco Elysium, somehow! The Longest Journey in Norwegian! Randomly pick French or Dutch for each character in Baldur's Gate 3, like the devs intended!

This is what I do in every game that allows it :colbert: I'll probably never even know what the dub sounds like in FFXVI

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i have almost absolute trust in koji fox, not to do a flawless job translating because he's only human, but to capture the tone and essence as well as possible

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm really glad we've got the Koji Fox/YoshiP partnership on this game, where they work very closely together on writing and translation. It's always so tiresome to have those arguments about "but in the original text it says-".

I don't care about what it says in Japanese, I'm playing the English version. If it's different, it's different, and the one I'm experiencing is the one I care about. It's all fiction anyway, there is no "true" version of it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Wasn't there stuff saying that this is in fact, an English first game, so therefore the japanese version would be the translated dub rather than the original?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Imagine not wanting to hear Ralph Ineson as Cid

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The main story was written by Kazutoyo Maehiro while Koji Fox was with him and discussed it, then Koji Fox translated it into English, then they looked at that version as they made edits in the Japanese script. The English voices are the original ones and recorded first, and in the process of voicing them they had the opportunity to change and add lines if they found something good. The facial capture was also done by these English VAs, and so there won't be lip sync for the others.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
They're probably trying to replicate the feeling of watching Game of Thrones in Japan, right. Like the developers themselves want the game to have the feeling of having come from somewhere else, as part of the aesthetic.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Was game of thrones big in Japan?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many archaisms are we gonna hear like in FF14... anyone going to be "in their cups"

there needs to be at least one boss that kills you if you don’t know what “larboard” means

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Four more days and then: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXVI/comm...nt=share_button

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Augus posted:

there needs to be at least one boss that kills you if you don’t know what “larboard” means

chariot followed by dynamo

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Concurred posted:

chariot followed by dynamo

The ram's voice

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want Ramuh orbs, I want Shiva circles, and by god do I want Landslides

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mainwaring posted:

Was game of thrones big in Japan?

Elden Ring was a collab with GRRM, and FF14 had some major Game of Thrones DNA in parts of it (late ARR to Heavensward especially). I dunno if it was a cultural phenomenon in general, but in that specific niche of M-rated fantasy games it seemed to have a pretty strong impact.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like "Game of Thrones" has just become some sort of shorthand for "highly produced fantasy with violence/sex."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wade and Tyler didn’t even tell me that goblin ill likes fire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
game of thrones had global pop culture in a deathgrip for years before its producers hosed it up so badly the whole thing vaporized, but you still smell the leftover smoke from time to time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like "Game of Thrones" has just become some sort of shorthand for "highly produced fantasy with violence/sex."

I mean it has but both Ring and 16 directly point to it and it did bring that stuff back from the more marketable kid friendly medieval fantasy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Final Fantasy and Elden Soulsborne have always taken heavily from popular western fantasy, game of thrones is popular western fantasy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hell, FF2, 4, and 12 have already done the “medieval politicking in a war for resources” thing. This is just that with more calling people cocks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oxxidation posted:

game of thrones had global pop culture in a deathgrip for years before its producers hosed it up so badly the whole thing vaporized, but you still smell the leftover smoke from time to time

House of the Dragon is really good so far and seems to have revived a lot of the goodwill. I don't think it's the property or setting that people were turned off by, just the utter poo poo that was season 5-8 of the show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
game of thrones is when anyone says "needs"

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I gave into temptation and watched a leak stream continuing right after the demo cutoff. The videos have since been nuked, but now the wait is even worse than before. XVI continues to be cool as hell and next Thursday can't come soon enough.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I could do without hearing 'your grace' every 5 seconds. Otherwise demo fun. Hope it gets less braindead easy after the prologue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it has but both Ring and 16 directly point to it and it did bring that stuff back from the more marketable kid friendly medieval fantasy

This does have me wondering what the 8-year-old me who was completely enthralled by FF4 would think about this somewhat grimdark opening lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Hell, FF2, 4, and 12 have already done the “medieval politicking in a war for resources” thing. This is just that with more calling people cocks.

Final Fantasy XVI: Medieval politicking, just with more calling people cocks.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there a reason to not just let players rebind buttons as they please

Yeah this. There is zero excuse to not have basic accessibility features like this these days. The controls in tears of the kingdom are so freaking awful the game is a chore to play.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
some of the TOTK menus were designed by The Joker from Batman

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the TOTK menus were designed by The Joker from Batman

ftfy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Clive is kinda like a reverse Gustave from SaGa Frontier 2.

Hopefully we won’t have to face the Egg.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there a reason to not just let players rebind buttons as they please

Its a huge pain in the rear end, and consoles have system level ways to customize controller inputs these days, so it's a lower priority. I agree that it's worth the effort, and games SHOULD do it (along with all sorts of accessibility stuff). Its also not surprising that companies don't find it worth the effort, because all it takes is one weird edge case where somehow a user is able to leave the menu without everything mapped to a button and suddenly you have a QA nightmare.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Whenever I hear someone in the game say Clive I think about the everybody loves raymond episode where Ray tries to write Children's book and Deb rolls her eyes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when you get into buttons having different functions depending on the context, that’s when rebinding starts to become really complicated. immortals fenyx rising was one case where on paper you could bind whatever you want to whatever else you want but in practice it was a massive pain in the rear end to use anything other than the default bindings because of how many different actions would be assigned to a single button, it was almost impossible to find a set-up without any conflicts

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dodge being on the shoulder button is Objectively Correct tho

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What often ruins system level rebinds for me is menus. I can ignore button prompts that don't match my rebind but I can never remember that page right is now left back button or whatever.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I really liked the demo. If its quality is indicative of the full game, this might be the first mainline Final Fantasy I really enjoy since FFX.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

game of thrones is when anyone says "needs"

must needs

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

What often ruins system level rebinds for me is menus. I can ignore button prompts that don't match my rebind but I can never remember that page right is now left back button or whatever.

Totally! It IS possible for games to read the system level rebinds and display the actual buttons, but again, way more work. Most games have extremely small UI teams, if they have them at all, and there's always other stuff to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I'm not saying anybody should run out and buy a 200 dollar controller but I put the magic button and dodge on the back buttons on my duelsense edge and it's wonderful. Always be charging magic.