Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I think you missed important words in the title and story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
This is why we fought for protected sick leave in my state where the employer can’t ask for proof of why you’re taking off unless you’ve been gone for 3 consecutive days. That poo poo is so abusive, sometimes you just need a mental health day.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for letting my team member leave shift because his friend died?

years ago I worked for a dude who was probably the model for book John Hammond of Jurassic Park. One super busy weekend, one of the cashiers said she needed to leave because she got a call her grandfather was in the hospital and it was not looking good. He told her that people die every day, and what I really need is for you to work the gift shop.

Amazingly enough she left and did not come back. It is a mystery.

father's day sales come first

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

AITA for telling my sister she's the worst thing to ever happen to me and I hate her even if she's changed/gotten help?

I (31f) don't like my sister "Kate" (37f). She treated me like poo poo as kids and it got worse as we got into middle/high school. Around that time she started drinking/doing drugs. And when she was 17 she ran off to live with her party friends. From then to 22 she only called to ask for money. At 22 she fell off the earth and we didn't hear from her until at 25 she came home sobbing, looking strung out. She begged for forgiveness and swore to get clean. We felt bad and took her in. For a year she was better. She got a job and was going to the methadone clinic.

One day mom and I were visiting a family friend 8 hours away and when we got home Kate and all her stuff + anything of value that wasn't nailed down was gone. My laptop, our jewelry, tvs, dvd players, etc. An hour later grandpa called and said his water was shut off. We went to check it out and found the cover by the street side water valve open and the meter inside shut off. Luckily we checked inside before turning it back on because all the copper pipes had been stolen. It was obvious Kate robbed us all and skipped town. We called the cops to report it but cest la vie.

A year later our grandpa died, leaving his things to Mom. He also left me some money. Sadly Mom was a wreck the next 4 years before she passed of a heart attack. She left everything but $150 (which she left to Kate) to me. I was destroyed after. If it weren't for my friends I don't know what would have happened to me. During all this Kate only called twice. Once a week after mom died to see if she was left anything (I'll admit I screamed at her) and once a year later to ask for money (I hung up on her).

She recently Dm'd me and apologized for how she'd acted before/after mom passed. Then she told me she hit rock bottom after our last call and OD'd and died for 3 minutes before being revived. She said it motivated her to get clean stay clean in the years since. She wrote how she wanted to make things right between us and she didn't want to lose her last family member.

I understand addiction is terrible and just because you're an addict it doesn't make you evil/bad. And they deserve second chances too. But that being said, I hate Kate. I can't recall a single good memory with her. They're all bad.

This is where I might be the AH. I wrote her back and told her so. I said I'd send her the money mom left her but I wanted her out of my life and as far as I was concerned I was an only child with no remaining blood family and that she was honestly the worst thing to every happen to me and I wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. I just said everything I'd bottled up for years.

My friend said I was too harsh and could regret not trying to make amends. I could be wrong, maybe my anger and grief are clouding my judgement. I know people change and maybe I should be giving her another chance. So AITA?

Edit: Some people DM'd me and asked if Kate ever replied to my message.

She did. And it's clear from it that she's just as lovely now as she was before the drugs, if not worse. I've blocked her on everything I could think of and if she somehow manages to contact me again I'll get a restraining order on her.

UPDATE:

Lots of people messaged me asking what Kate said in her reply and I don't know how to update besides here. But like I stated in my edit Kate contacted me again, only this time spewing hate about me being 'an awful hateful bitch' who 'doesn't know how to be a half decent person to someone suffering'. She went on to suggest that I'm 'toxic' because our family all suffered by being around me. Aka mom and grandpa died and Kate is a drug addict, and that's all my fault.

I told her if she tried contacting me one more time I'd call the cops on her for harassment. And I've also started looking into how to get a restraining order. This all cemented to me that she's still the same vile person she's always been. I've also begun shopping around for a therapist.

Thank you to everyone who messaged me with kind words and advice. And to everyone who said I was an AH for not being kinder to Kate and giving her another chance, you can kick rocks.

quote:

AITA for making my son watch his “grandfathers” tantrum?

Long story short: when I met my wife (40s) twenty-ish years ago, she told me the horrific abuse her father had done to her. Her family didn’t believe her and swept it under the rug (as long as he left her brother alone), so she has issues with people not believing her story. I’m one of the few people she’s ever told about it to this day.

My son, B, doesn’t know his mother’s backstory in full, just that she “cut ties” with her family and he’s never questioned it until recently. He started asking her small things like her fathers name, where she used to live, things like that. My wife answered honestly but didn’t talk about the abuse. B kept pushing though, asking specifically what “his grandpa” had done to her that “warranted the estrangement”.

The situation blew up with my son eventually admitting to being in contact with that dude, who told him extensively about how his mother would “lie” to him about what really happened and to “dig deeper” for the “real reason” for this “horrific estrangement”. B had even told him where his mother worked & the area we lived in! B called his mother a liar, which made my wife descend into a panic attack like no other I’d seen before.

After comforting her, I grabbed B and told him that he has one chance to apologize to his mother for calling her a liar or he’d be evicted within 30 days, regardless if he’s just finishing high school (he’s 18). He straightened up (especially after his sister reamed into him) and apologized. His mother graciously forgave him and we moved on.

Until last night. That dude showed up at my house! The Ring caught all 45 minutes of his tantrum. Only my daughter was home & she was terrified. When B got home, I made him watch the entire thing and broke down each threat made against his mom. He cried and begged to stop but by this point he needed to experience the same terror his mom and sister felt.

My wife said I’m an AH for making him watch it, while my daughter agrees with me. B has barely said two words to me but I’m so disgusted with his actions right now I couldn’t care less. AITA?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tater_salad posted:

YTA big-time. Spoilers on how friend became unalive

I worked food service and was scheduled on a Sunday morning shift. One of my friends in highschool killed himself on Friday night, I learned about it Saturday afternoon and it started to really hit me and settle in on Sunday.

I called in. I said look my friend killed himself I'm having a real tough time today I'm not coming in.

Like a dumb 17 year old I listened to 'just come in for the rush and then you can go home'.

About 2 hours in I dropped a tray full of coffee mugs coming out of the dishwasher on the floor. They then said maybe I should go home at that point.

gently caress that place. I worked there 3 more months before i quit.

did you even read the thing?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

therobit posted:

LOL yes you should have either bought a bigger house or not taken on additional children if it meant kicking you spouse’s daughter out of the house. God, what an awful person.

Just buy a bigger house, nbd

If the options are stepdaughter moves in with her mom and orphaned kids have a home, or stepdaughter stays and orphaned kids get broken up and some go to foster care, the former, however lovely, seems like the best option.

Sometimes there are no good choices and you have to pick the least bad one.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

tater_salad posted:

YTA big-time. Spoilers on how friend became unalive

I worked food service and was scheduled on a Sunday morning shift. One of my friends in highschool killed himself on Friday night, I learned about it Saturday afternoon and it started to really hit me and settle in on Sunday.

I called in. I said look my friend killed himself I'm having a real tough time today I'm not coming in.

Like a dumb 17 year old I listened to 'just come in for the rush and then you can go home'.

About 2 hours in I dropped a tray full of coffee mugs coming out of the dishwasher on the floor. They then said maybe I should go home at that point.

gently caress that place. I worked there 3 more months before i quit.

if recent reposts can be branded Tuesday, can rambling screeds on posts someone didn't read be branded as The Man Who Was Thursday

not really a fan of Chesterton but it feels like it fits for some reason, ya know?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Just buy a bigger house, nbd

If the options are stepdaughter moves in with her mom and orphaned kids have a home, or stepdaughter stays and orphaned kids get broken up and some go to foster care, the former, however lovely, seems like the best option.

Sometimes there are no good choices and you have to pick the least bad one.

The daughter might have preferred to sleep on a couch than go back to her mom's house, it certainly doesn't seem like anyone asked what she wanted at any point.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The daughter might have preferred to sleep on a couch than go back to her mom's house, it certainly doesn't seem like anyone asked what she wanted at any point.

Maybe. If that were an option I think it would've been mentioned, and if they're having to pinch pennies to feed the other kids it may not have been a financial possibility regardless.

It sounds like she wanted to stay in her room, which would've meant splitting up the orphaned kids and putting them in the system.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

At the very least I think we can be sure that this situation isn't what the sister who died wanted to have happen, and it's poo poo that the life insurance didn't prevent this from happening because our social net is hosed up in a multitude of ways.

e: I suppose she could've hated the little poo poo from the get-go and it was a long con, but that seems highly unlikely

dervival fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 18, 2023

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's a bad situation. The thing the stepmom could do is apologize, empathize and instead, attempt to reconnect meaningfully after serious reflection.

Like I said, oh, a page so, it's a trolley problem and it hurts everyone. The step daughter got a poo poo deal, the four kids got a poo poo deal, the step mom and dad got a poo poo deal, maybe the step daughter's biomom got a poo poo deal too.

Nobody wins when a parent dies. Nobody. Empathy is key, and we don't have the full story. People making up poo poo whole cloth is not going to fix this for anyone.

Eta: I literally see versions of this about 40 times a week, my mental health isn't great because of it, I love number.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I’m curious how the budgeting worked out, since the kids should have been getting social security payments as child survivors of a deceased parent. I’m not saying that’s enough to mean they could have moved into a bigger house but it makes me wonder about them saying they had to skip meals.

Anyway I think there’s just not enough information in the story.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I’m curious how the budgeting worked out, since the kids should have been getting social security payments as child survivors of a deceased parent. I’m not saying that’s enough to mean they could have moved into a bigger house but it makes me wonder about them saying they had to skip meals.

Social services not being enough to keep a family afloat is like the most believable part of that entire thing?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's 0 chance that the adults handling the money weren't skimming or taking extra 'for their troubles' like it comes up everytime a child beneficiary is told about harsh financial circumstances.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not throwing my SIL a puppy shower?

quote:

I (28F) have a sister Nina (36F) and a SIL Olivia (31F).

Nina has struggled with fertility issues and hasn’t been able to conceive despite trying since first married at 24. She has been very open with the family about her struggles and it’s made us very close - she’s my best friend and ultimate role model.

Last year or so, she sent a surprise announcement to the family - it read: “WE’RE EXPECTING…a puppy!” It then detailed how she’s done trying to treat her infertility, will continue trying to conceive (wink wink), and has decided to adopt a puppy to celebrate the occasion and embrace motherhood that way.

I cried of both joy and sadness as she’s handled an enormous difficultly with such grace. I had the idea to throw her a surprise puppy shower, the same way you would a baby shower. The whole family was enthralled, it was a beautiful celebration, and she got everything a new pup would need + a cash gift to help with vets and registration etc.

About a month ago, Olivia and her husband/my brother announced that they too were getting a puppy. I congratulated them. The puppy came home and all was well. I later heard through the family grapevine that Olivia was upset that we hadn’t thrown her a puppy shower like we did for Nina, and she was thrown for a loop because she hadn’t assumed she’d need to buy some of the basics so was left scrambling when pup came home.

I chose to confront my brother about this instead of Olivia. He had reiterated Olivia’s feelings - they just expected what was done for one should be done for all. I explained that Nina’s situation is obviously different (and no one throws a puppy shower in normal circumstances), to which he retorted that I have no idea why they don’t have kids and Olivia could have fertility issues too for all I know.

So, AITA for not throwing Olivia a puppy shower? I did concede that I don’t know why they don’t have kids, but her and I nor my brother are close so I wouldn’t ask about it unless she volunteered. It honestly feels like they’re using the possibility of infertility as a guilt trip, but then I feel awful for even thinking that as I have no idea and know secondhand through Nina how hard it is. Olivia also has bio sisters, so why is it my responsibility if getting a puppy was such a big deal to her?

I'd like to throw a gender reveal party and get my ball python probed but I can't imagine the decor. Male snakes have two penises, so I'd need a lot of dick balloons, or egg balloons if a girl.

Now a gender reveal with blue tongue skinks would be more impressive because they are super hard to sex.

AITA for shouting at someone because they touched my fins?

quote:

I’m currently training to learn freediving, and part of this is going to a pool to practice apnea (breath holding) and general technique.

Now finding a pool that allowed me to use any sort of fins was a pain in the butt, so when I found one that did, I was super happy. Also, my fins aren’t your usual ones, they’re true freedive fins almost 3ft long, carbon fibre and they were very expensive for me to buy, almost $400. They’re also decently fragile compared to your usual fins, and are also really flexible. This means you have to be fairly careful.

The pool is your standard type with a shallow end of 60cm-1.5m (from 1ft-5ft in depth) and then it slopes down to 2m (7ft). There is also a small section which is 4m (about 13ft) deep for diving boards.

I was at the 1.5m section with my buddy when this happened. Part of my training involved being face down in the water with my legs out behind me and this of course meant that my fins were sticking out. During one exercise I felt someone bump into my right hand fin, so I put my head up to see what was happening. It was a teenage girl, maybe 15ish. I explained to her in the local language (I happen to speak it) that she needed to look out for other people.

I continued with the exercises with my buddy but the same thing kept happening. It was obvious that she just wasn’t listening to anything I’d said or watching what she was doing. If anything she seemed more interested in being stupid in front of her friends. It happened multiple times and I tried to remind her gently.

The last time it happened, the fins were bent into a semi-circle and I became really annoyed because of this and instead of being nice, I basically laid into her and told her that if she wanted to be an idiot then I hoped she had the $400 to replace my fins when she broke them. She burst into tears and I saw her sitting at the side of the pool for the rest of the time I was there.

I now feel I might have been too harsh on a young girl for what was likely an innocent mistake.

AITA?

Don't practice freediving or any kind of diving in a public pool, you water weeb.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 18, 2023

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I feel like if the story was "I made my kid give up her room and sleep on the couch when she had a healthier option readily available" we'd all be a lot less forgiving in our interpretations.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Edit: nevermind

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 18, 2023

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

pentyne posted:

There's 0 chance that the adults handling the money weren't skimming or taking extra 'for their troubles' like it comes up everytime a child beneficiary is told about harsh financial circumstances.
Then why did she skip meals? If you think she's just straight up lying then why even bother thinking about the post at all. The whole thing could be made up at that point . There never even was a stepdaughter. Her sister never died. It's all a con

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

pentyne posted:

What about the story makes you think that this was the case here?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for shouting at someone because they touched my fins?

Don't practice freediving or any kind of diving in a public pool, you water weeb.
It gets better: He mentions in the comments that there was a swim team that had reserved the entire deep area of the pool AND another part of the pool had the ropes set up for lane swimming. In other words, he picked one of the busiest times at the pool to take up a bunch of space with his huge expensive fins.

I've seen someone at my local community pool practice with fins a couple times, but it's always been at extremely off-hours when there's like, 4 people there.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
I figure she mentioned the life insurance because the stepdaughter could reasonably have known it was there, without fully understanding the rules about how it could be accessed.
So her line of thinking in bringing it up is "you think I should have stolen from my nieces and nephew?!"

It does sound like a lovely no-win situation all round. OP has a fair perspective in that it's her sister who died, and it sounds like she struggled financially for a long time as a result. That said, it never is the adults in these situations who end up losing their personal space and having to bounce between houses. There was an interesting post earlier in this thread about some sort of experiment around this: the kids were put in one house with one consistent set of rooms, and the family had a flat for whichever parent was non-custodial that week. Just from my vague recollections of that, the adults hated it.

For my mind, the missing piece of the puzzle here is stepdaughter's biomom, and how she handled the situation. Was she sympathetic to OP's situation and welcoming of her daughter, or was she dealing with her own blended family and finances, leaving OP's stepdaughter feeling unwelcome anywhere? Had dad/OP's partner previously been primary custodian, and what was the story there? Out of the OP's hands of course, but will have dramatically affected the impact on stepdaughter.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

For my mind, the missing piece of the puzzle here is stepdaughter's biomom, and how she handled the situation. Was she sympathetic to OP's situation and welcoming of her daughter, or was she dealing with her own blended family and finances, leaving OP's stepdaughter feeling unwelcome anywhere? Had dad/OP's partner previously been primary custodian, and what was the story there? Out of the OP's hands of course, but will have dramatically affected the impact on stepdaughter.

Also, with the stepdaughter suddenly going to biomom's full time, did her father have to pay additional child support, making the OP's family finances harder as well?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

therobit posted:

There was life insurance money she could have used. They may also have had grandparents. It’s not OK to kick your spouse’s kid out of the house in favor of your nieces and nephews and then expect them to be cool about it.

And also, maybe she should have gotten a job or a second job if money was that much of an issue. Once you have kids you are responsible for seeing to their material and emotional needs. You don’t get to cop out because things are hard. She chose to bring more kids into the house that she apparently couldn’t feed.

Surprised that nobody has picked up on this delightful thought. “Why are these stupid poors so poor! Why don’t they just get better jobs?”
It’s incredibly patronising.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

therattle posted:

Surprised that nobody has picked up on this delightful thought. “Why are these stupid poors so poor! Why don’t they just get better jobs?”
She now has 4 entire extra kids to raise. What free time is she supposed to be using to work that second job?

there's also the ongoing "she chose to bring kids into the house" which is typically said about, you know, planned adoptions and pregnancies rather than your sister dying and the only two options being to take her kids in right away or let them be absorbed by the foster care system

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

therattle posted:

Oh trust me, they have. I’ve seen the reports.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

She now has 4 entire extra kids to raise. What free time is she supposed to be using to work that second job?

there's also the ongoing "she chose to bring kids into the house" which is typically said about, you know, planned adoptions and pregnancies rather than your sister dying and the only two options being to take her kids in right away or let them be absorbed by the foster care system

Reading it from a logical and neutral perspective, I kind of think she had her sister killed just to spite the stepdaughter

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

therattle posted:

TBF, it's not nearly as bad as "they couldn't afford a new house because they're skimming that sweet, sweet few hundo a month of SS death benefits"

BTW, SS benefits are capped at 150% of the decedent's maximum benefit, or 75% per beneficiary, whichever is lower, so OP is getting paid the same amount from the g'vmnt as she would for 2 kids. I don't know what that dollar amount is, but I'm pretty sure it's in the hundreds, not thousands, and it's certainly not enough to raise 4 fuckin' kids, much less skim off the top too.

E: and yeah, they definitely had to pick up child support when the relinquished custody of the stepdaughter.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 18, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

greazeball posted:

Reading it from a logical and neutral perspective, I kind of think she had her sister killed just to spite the stepdaughter

That’s weird that you got that from it, it feels more like the sister faked her death to spite the stepdaughter

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I think OP never had a sister and never moved any other kids into the house at all, she just made all of that up to justify abusing her stepdaughter for being a different race than her :colbert:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

InediblePenguin posted:

I think OP never had a sister and never moved any other kids into the house at all, she just made all of that up to justify abusing her stepdaughter for being a different race than her :colbert:

I don't think there's a stepdaughter at all, or a husband.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SS is also based on your work history and earnings. They average your highest earning 35 years when calculating the benefits, but if you don't have 35 years they fill in zeros.

What I'm saying is that a relatively young parent likely has jack loving poo poo for a SS benefit to leave their kids.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That’s weird that you got that from it, it feels more like the sister faked her death to spite the stepdaughter

The sister killed (who we think is) OP, then replaced her while making it look like the sister was the one who actually died. She did this to spite the stepdaughter, probably because their family has a weird tradition and the stepdaughter refused to participate

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

pentyne posted:

a payee skimming off an ssi recipient of any kind is usually caught and prosecuted heavily esp for kids. they make you justify your expenditures every month when youre the payee of someone under 18. yearly if over 18. my mom had to justify my sisters ssi-d perfectly and t hey still were up her rear end over every little thing. you have to basically figure out the kids rent use of amenities food depending on state and budget their check as going to pay a portion of everything they do. this isnt the bad ole days of the 80s / 90s when your rear end in a top hat brother took your moms ssi check and fed her dog food and kept her in the cucuy room.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Elviscat posted:

TBF, it's not nearly as bad as "they couldn't afford a new house because they're skimming that sweet, sweet few hundo a month of SS death benefits"

BTW, SS benefits are capped at 150% of the decedent's maximum benefit, or 75% per beneficiary, whichever is lower, so OP is getting paid the same amount from the g'vmnt as she would for 2 kids. I don't know what that dollar amount is, but I'm pretty sure it's in the hundreds, not thousands, and it's certainly not enough to raise 4 fuckin' kids, much less skim off the top too.

E: and yeah, they definitely had to pick up child support when the relinquished custody of the stepdaughter.

If nothing else, r/aita occasionally points out that some conflicts can be avoided with planning. Don't have kids myself, but it sure seems like a lot of indigent orphan stories could be prevented with better planning from the parents. More than just a "so, would you take in Pnurtis if somethere happened?", but estimate increased living expenses, food, medical, tuition, etc and make sure the beneficiery to a life insurance policy in that amount is whoever agrees to raise the kids. And probably revisit this on a regular basis or as circumstances change. A trust can provide additional controls and make monthly payments in case it's not close family you trust not to run off with the money.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If nothing else, r/aita occasionally effectively points out that some conflicts can be avoided with planning. Don't have kids myself, but it sure seems like a lot of indigent orphan stories could be prevented with better planning from the parents. More than just a "so, would you take in Pnurtis if somethere happened?", but estimate increased living expenses, food, medical, tuition, etc and make sure the beneficiery to a life insurance policy in that amount is whoever agrees to raise the kids. And probably revisit this on a regular basis or as circumstances change. A trust can provide additional controls and make monthly payments in case it's not close family you trust not to run off with the money.

While all of this would certainly be ideal, odds are that the people who have the means to do it do it and everyone else gets hosed because they're barely getting by as is

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If nothing else, r/aita occasionally points out that some conflicts can be avoided with planning. Don't have kids myself, but it sure seems like a lot of indigent orphan stories could be prevented with better planning from the parents. More than just a "so, would you take in Pnurtis if somethere happened?", but estimate increased living expenses, food, medical, tuition, etc and make sure the beneficiery to a life insurance policy in that amount is whoever agrees to raise the kids. And probably revisit this on a regular basis or as circumstances change. A trust can provide additional controls and make monthly payments in case it's not close family you trust not to run off with the money.

Sure, now all OP has to do is hop in her time machine and have her sister make better plans!

I get it, I actually planned out my insurance and benefits so that my (cohabitating) GF is taken care of, and keeps my house and all my assets, my funeral and all that poo poo is covered by one insurance plan, and my other life insurance is set to be dropped into a trust to provide for my Nephews' education. I have the luxury of being able to plan all this out 'cause I have a decent income, and 0 kids to worry about. It sounds like dead sister was scrapping by, and didn't have much to leave her kids, but she died unexpectedly so she's kinda immune from being the rear end in a top hat in the story.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm glad someone addressed the SSI issue before I got there. I also deal with that every day at work.

If you still wanna foam at the mouth at op, look up what "fiduciary duty" means, and FinCEN, and exactly how hard the feds, state and local people do look at any form of state and federal support payments. I deal with that all day long too, I'm a compliance officer at a large multinational that deals directly on the securities side as well as gen compliance on policy and enforcement. Sucks poo poo all day. The "horror stories" are rare but the heartbreakers are every single case I review.

Anyway I hope we can move the hell on from this derail.

Content:

Dear Penny, posted:

My husband and I did a really stupid thing: We co-signed for our 20-year-old daughter’s truck.

We did this in July 2021. We shook hands in a “gentleman’s deal” on the condition that she live at home until 2022 to figure out her actual income versus outgoing money.

She has a job that can pay for her to live on her own with no problems financially. We were concerned because of her lack of life experience. She went straight from homeschooling into this job. She moved out without our consent or approval.

We are on bad terms at this point. We want my husband’s name off the loan OR the truck back. We’ll assume payments plus pay her back her deposit. It’s hard knowing you’re potentially responsible for something if things go awry. We are on such disgruntled terms that we don’t even know where she lives or her cell number.

-Serves Me Right

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Sounds like they co-signed for an adult that is making the payments and hasn’t defaulted? Feels like they probably just want to punish her for disobeying

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sounds like they co-signed for an adult that is making the payments and hasn’t defaulted? Feels like they probably just want to punish her for disobeying

Lmao, daughter could not WAIT to get the gently caress out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yup. I was worried it was going to be horrible advice when reading

quote:

There’s a straightforward answer to the question, the advice columnist writes. But there may be a broader discussion needed

but the advice is basically "you can't get the truck back without her permission and you don't even have her phone number. This isn't about the truck."