Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No pre-load yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I said come in! posted:

No pre-load yet?

Tuesday at midnight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every item and accessory have lavish descriptions and the description for young clive's sword notes that it's shorter than average to accommodate for its intended wielder's smaller size

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1670074646966968321?t=E9D0wSKcnrdvC6JaW7cXMw&s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Both of those covers are so much better than the actual game's boxart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's good art, I know it's not actually Akihiko Yoshida but it looks just like his stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Could Clive have changed the result of the battle of Buckethill?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In case anyone missed it before (i know you did because the video only has 89k views), there's this very charming talk between Yoshi-P, Koji Fox and Ben Starr that's worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQo2MbHqm9Q

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Oxxidation posted:

every item and accessory have lavish descriptions and the description for young clive's sword notes that it's shorter than average to accommodate for its intended wielder's smaller size

this game has ff14 all over it and it rules

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm honestly surprised at how excited I am for this game. When it was first announced, I completely wrote it off. I believed Square didn't have it in them to not make a new final fantasy to get excited about after the awfulness of 13 and 15.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

having now finished the demo, my impressions alternate between the above image and :stonklol: with increasing frequency

i knew joshua was in for a bad time the minute his face appeared onscreen but did not expect him to be literally ripped to shreds as clive screams himself hoarse trying to make it stop. there's a level of intensity in these performances i can't remember seeing last

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

having now finished the demo, my impressions alternate between the above image and :stonklol: with increasing frequency

i knew joshua was in for a bad time the minute his face appeared onscreen but did not expect him to be literally ripped to shreds as clive screams himself hoarse trying to make it stop. there's a level of intensity in these performances i can't remember seeing last

Clive's actor is extremely good. Like it's hard to stress just how good he is. He is genuinely one of the most on-point performances I've seen in a video game especially because he's allowed to express a wide emotional range. He can do kind and caring as well as he can do utterly distraught or overwhelmed with rage and it helps sell the character in a way I think is rare. Even other great video game performances tend to focus on being sad/depressed/raging and Clive can do that but he can also he genuine and caring. (I am sure the other actors could pull that off too, mind you, but it's pretty rare for a character to get to be written as anything but Angry or Sullen for 95% of the game.)

Honestly the thing I think stands out most is "the game is genuine." It isn't ashamed of itself. There's stupid jokes and puns but you don't ever get a moment where Clive goes "Well, THAT just happened" or stares at the screen and goes "Moogle? Who came up with THAT stupid name?" or whatever. It doesn't assume the player is going to nope out if it asks them to take something absurd seriously because the characters do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 19, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i imagine most people's first reaction to a tonberry or cactuar would be something like incredulous puzzlement

it would also be their last reaction

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Freeze frame on ifrit as his fist is about to come down for the final time

*record scratch*

Yeah that’s me

I bet you’re wondering how I got here

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Clive is kinda like a reverse Gustave from SaGa Frontier 2.

Hopefully we won’t have to face the Egg.

I get Ramza Beoulve vibes from Clive, don’t know how long that’s going to last, but I quite like it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think one of my favorite little things about Clive is that he has a unique comment for every Mark you defeat and ninety percent of the time they are just a terrible pun of some kind.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm honestly surprised at how excited I am for this game. When it was first announced, I completely wrote it off. I believed Square didn't have it in them to not make a new final fantasy to get excited about after the awfulness of 13 and 15.

15 is good though. 13 is surprisingly nice to play now as well. The entire game is handmade and beautiful versus the way games are made now with open world everything, reused assets and poo poo menus. It's really refreshing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

JBP posted:

15 is good though. 13 is surprisingly nice to play now as well. The entire game is handmade and beautiful versus the way games are made now with open world everything, reused assets and poo poo menus. It's really refreshing.

15 is a quarter of a good game, I went in blind years after release and thought when I was leaving the open world that I was like 25% of the way through, and was like okay this has promise! But instead that was like 75% of the game and the rest was just a bunch of tiny areas that were either basically brief rest stops or entirely linear and boring.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

13 and 15 are both bad games imo for entirely different reasons.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I saw a clip of the German dub on reddit and drat German Clive sounds pretty good too. Apparently the French and Latam Spanish dubs are great too. No idea about the Italian one but I assume it'll be good too.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 19, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

I think one of my favorite little things about Clive is that he has a unique comment for every Mark you defeat and ninety percent of the time they are just a terrible pun of some kind.

Oh okay he's Jotaro.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Or Leon Kennedy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

Clive's actor is extremely good. Like it's hard to stress just how good he is. He is genuinely one of the most on-point performances I've seen in a video game especially because he's allowed to express a wide emotional range. He can do kind and caring as well as he can do utterly distraught or overwhelmed with rage and it helps sell the character in a way I think is rare. Even other great video game performances tend to focus on being sad/depressed/raging and Clive can do that but he can also he genuine and caring. (I am sure the other actors could pull that off too, mind you, but it's pretty rare for a character to get to be written as anything but Angry or Sullen for 95% of the game.)

Honestly the thing I think stands out most is "the game is genuine." It isn't ashamed of itself. There's stupid jokes and puns but you don't ever get a moment where Clive goes "Well, THAT just happened" or stares at the screen and goes "Moogle? Who came up with THAT stupid name?" or whatever. It doesn't assume the player is going to nope out if it asks them to take something absurd seriously because the characters do.

Yeah many VAs can do angry shouting and many VAs can do I Sound Sad but few put in a performance like Clive at the end of the prologue where that “I’ll loving kill you!” is halfway between choking with rage and breaking into a sob.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The main character we are supposed to like is a highborn pretty boy who gets handed everything and is part of an aristocracy that upholds slavery. Hopefully something happens to knock him down a few pegs or he gets immensely more likeable.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ImpAtom posted:

ImpAtom posted:

This is heartening after hearing all the doom and gloom about how the game is going to just be "edgy GoT poo poo."

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 19, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

i imagine most people's first reaction to a tonberry or cactuar would be something like incredulous puzzlement

it would also be their last reaction

This is why I really enjoyed the Tonberry in Final Fantasy 7 Remake showing up. To anyone new to the series it's like "Oh look at this silly looking monster". Any vet instantly went into a cold sweat.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 19, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dpulex posted:

The main character we are supposed to like is a highborn pretty boy who gets handed everything and is part of an aristocracy that upholds slavery. Hopefully something happens to knock him down a few pegs or he gets immensely more likeable.

He has the tattoo on his face that indicates the general public is allowed to poo poo on you, is that enough?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dpulex posted:

clive is literally introduced as a man who's spent nearly half his life as one of those slaves and in the flashback they repeatedly underline the fact that his "failure" to benefit from magic eugenics made him virtually disowned save for proving himself as a soldier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when someone makes a post and you ask yourself the question "trolling or idiot" then it's best to just not engage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I recall there being a cutscene with this very thing in Final Fantasy XIII with Sazh?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

JBP posted:

15 is good though.

:bighow: Obviously everyone can enjoy what they like and nobody can take that away but when the final fantasy developers, producers, and so on are openly throwing words around like "Mistake" and "Lessons learned" when referencing pre-realm reborn, 13, and 15 then I will take their word for it.

Edit: For instance. I enjoy Final Fantasy Advent Children. That doesn't mean I'm blind to an extraordinary amount of issues it has and can call them out.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 19, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dpulex posted:

Come on, drop your pants, do a dance, where’s your A game? Absolutely shameful low tier clown work here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

His mum sucks too lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

:bighow: Obviously everyone can enjoy what they like and nobody can take that away but when the final fantasy developers, producers, and so on are openly throwing words around like "Mistake" and "Lessons learned" when referencing pre-realm reborn, 13, and 15 then I will take their word for it.

Edit: For instance. I enjoy Final Fantasy Advent Children. That doesn't mean I'm blind to an extraordinary amount of issues it has and can call them out.

It’ll be nice to have a mainline that is good in a way that doesn’t require caveats and qualifiers and squinting at to find the good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah many VAs can do angry shouting and many VAs can do I Sound Sad but few put in a performance like Clive at the end of the prologue where that “I’ll loving kill you!” is halfway between choking with rage and breaking into a sob.

German Clive's read of that line.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
15 was inexcusable bad for a AAA game when it had just came out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FF15 had so many corners cut in its presentation, all of it just felt sloppy and poorly put together. It felt like Square really struggled to get anything to work right. In comparison, FF16 so far is superb, everything feels perfect and handcrafted, it's all top tier quality, and every cutscene and moment is detailed and rich.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
FF15 is amazing to look back on, because they tried making it this massive multimedia journey to embark on with anime shorts and a cg movie and a prequel beat em up and all sorts of other tiny tie-ins and then hosed it on the actual game. One of the cutscenes was just footage from Kingsglaive, if I remember right

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

ff15 was really fun and i enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shoehead posted:

FF15 is amazing to look back on, because they tried making it this massive multimedia journey to embark on with anime shorts and a cg movie and a prequel beat em up and all sorts of other tiny tie-ins and then hosed it on the actual game. One of the cutscenes was just footage from Kingsglaive, if I remember right

I'm pretty sure that is because they just straight up added in bit of Kingsglaive because people who hadn't watched Kingsglaive were getting to that part of the story and wondering why it was just described as something that happened off screen.