Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Found out that Bato.to https://mangatoto.com/series/92430 has the Stitch and the Samurai isekai. I'd put it in the wholesome thread because very little war has occurred and it's just Meison Yamato thinking Stitch is adorable but I do not know the history of Warlord Meison Yamato so I don't know if that's in bad taste or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That's not a thing I was expecting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Yomei Nikagetsu no Isekai Kenkouhou

It's cool, he'll be tossing magic in short order. I wasn't sure how I felt about how leveling up seemed to cure him of his illness, but the fact that it's just a really good life support rounds out the only concerns I had with this series. I don't know what form the ending will take but I'm firmly locked into this one now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is the last page's line "The Wishes of the Dying Made Real supposed to be the actual title? because if so, that's a really good title for this.

and yeah, this chapter really cemented this as a quality series with a definitive end in mind, barring Shenanigans.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Aikido Grandpa is probably my favorite isekai manga so far

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I would suggest if you are looking for a switch or Isekai to look up some Korean and Chinese titles for a change.

Most will be about;

• cultivation
  • game world is now in the real world
  • the real world is now a game world
  • cultivation
  • a hero is either imprisoned or killed and comes back
  • MC is in a book/game they made
  • did I mention cultivation?

Each sounds boring but there are some good ones that make it interesting.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If Manhwa has taught me anything it's eating some ginseng will make you crap/sweat tar and become a god.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

EVIL Gibson posted:

I would suggest if you are looking for a switch or Isekai to look up some Korean and Chinese titles for a change.

Most will be about;

• cultivation
  • cultivation

the old classic “villainess surrounded by death flags” is also available in korean, except everybody is way better dressed and the same exact castle appears in each manhwa for some reason

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't like the panel layouts manwha/manhua have. I've read a couple and unless they're exceptional I just drop off because of the eternal scroll

there was one, Roxana I believe it was called, about a villainess reincarnation who continued to be a villainess but also had a thing for the hero's brother, and that one was phenomenal for the first season I read of it. then there was an extended hiatus and I fell off of reading any more of it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
i read regular manga chapters set to all on one page anyway

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't like the panel layouts manwha/manhua have. I've read a couple and unless they're exceptional I just drop off because of the eternal scroll

there was one, Roxana I believe it was called, about a villainess reincarnation who continued to be a villainess but also had a thing for the hero's brother, and that one was phenomenal for the first season I read of it. then there was an extended hiatus and I fell off of reading any more of it

Roxana did come out with some extra chapters after the first hiatus, but then ended up falling into a second hiatus again. The reason why it keeps falling into hiatus is pretty sad and I really wish the author well. It is one of my favorites.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I also try out a ton of non-Japanese stuff. Roxana would be my favorite but it's been gone so long I wasn't counting it any more. :smith:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

EVIL Gibson posted:

Most will be about;

• cultivation
  • cultivation

a truly staggering amount of them seem to focus on getting revenge on the people who bullied the main character in middle / high school as well, but that seems to be a recurring motif

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nalin posted:

Roxana did come out with some extra chapters after the first hiatus, but then ended up falling into a second hiatus again. The reason why it keeps falling into hiatus is pretty sad and I really wish the author well. It is one of my favorites.
well I'm glad I've not gone back to it so I've not fallen victim to the hiatus, guess I'll leave it on the backburner until it potentially finishes or something

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
roxana is too glam for this blighted world. so glam.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The basic issue is that the super-detailed full color chapters every week is physically impossible for the artists.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

nrook posted:

the old classic “villainess surrounded by death flags” is also available in korean, except everybody is way better dressed and the same exact castle appears in each manhwa for some reason

It isn’t limited to just villainess stories, the exact same castle has to appear in every Manhwa ever, like Castle Dracula drifting across the universe appearing wherever the gently caress it wants. It’s the Wilhelm Scream of medieval architecture.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The serious answer is that they're all copying it from the same stock background library.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

EVIL Gibson posted:

Most will be about;

• cultivation
  • cultivation

I do like a few Chinese/Korean stories, but I feel like I run into the "hard men making hard choices" (for no reason) archetype way too much in them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

roxana is too glam for this blighted world. so glam.

I want so badly to just make a collage of all the dresses she changes into. Sometimes if felt like 3 times in a chapter just because she can. All of them gorgeous.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Elite posted:

It isn’t limited to just villainess stories, the exact same castle has to appear in every Manhwa ever, like Castle Dracula drifting across the universe appearing wherever the gently caress it wants. It’s the Wilhelm Scream of medieval architecture.

It even has a name, Castle-nim.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Making name for yourself by creating a garbage isekai story about making new castle designs in blender for variety's sake. It's all an advertising stunt, the story's whatever

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well if we're talking about Korean titles, these two are probably the top tier ones for me, both are regressor stories:

fun story, godly art:
https://www.asurascans.com/manga/4569947261-reincarnation-of-the-suicidal-battle-god/

fun characters, lots of slavers get brutally murdered:
https://www.asurascans.com/manga/4569947261-the-return-of-the-crazy-demon/

Honestly most of the Korean stories I read are regressor ones now that I think about it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 19, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Mynoghra, where the twins fight the demon lord

I love his "true form" design, a colossal porcupine whose body is made of the corpses of the foes he's slain and the spines made of the weapons of the fallen, that is metal as hell

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I was like "A porcupine? ...I'm with it."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That's absolutely busted as a power and I'm terrified of that girl.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

EVIL Gibson posted:

Most will be about;

• cultivation
  • cultivation

Unbelievable me to me that this list doesn't include Towers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RareAcumen posted:

Making name for yourself by creating a garbage isekai story about making new castle designs in blender for variety's sake. It's all an advertising stunt, the story's whatever

"That time I got reincarnated as the multiverse's chief architect for villain castles and dungeons."

It would be like the Carpenter from Batman comics getting contracts to build supervillain death traps.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jon Irenicus posted:

a truly staggering amount of them seem to focus on getting revenge on the people who bullied the main character in middle / high school as well, but that seems to be a recurring motif

As a trade off though: 0 slavery.

Really bad contracts, but no slavery.

CubeTheory posted:

Unbelievable me to me that this list doesn't include Towers.

I am shamed.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

EVIL Gibson posted:

As a trade off though: 0 slavery.

Really bad contracts, but no slavery.

I am shamed.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve definitely seen random slavery in manhwa; the heroine of Death Is the Only Ending for the Villainess bought a slave out of nowhere and made me sad. At least I haven’t seen a series that isn’t aware that owning slaves is morally bad and not something a good person should do.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Constellations were another repeated concept that I just had to eventually role with.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If they said gods/deities instead of constellations it wouldn’t really make much difference so I don’t think the exact term constellation really matters much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

"That time I got reincarnated as the multiverse's chief architect for villain castles and dungeons."

It would be like the Carpenter from Batman comics getting contracts to build supervillain death traps.

There was an isekai story about a reincarnated architect. It fell into the usual trap of "the locals have no concept of architecture and their buildings just fall apart every few years."

Edit: To be fair, it was a little funnier than that. Like "the king a hundred years ago had all the architects in the country killed because his wife cheated on him with one, so all institutional knowledge was lost."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nrook posted:

I’ve definitely seen random slavery in manhwa; the heroine of Death Is the Only Ending for the Villainess bought a slave out of nowhere and made me sad. At least I haven’t seen a series that isn’t aware that owning slaves is morally bad and not something a good person should do.

The way Korean isekais treat slavery is that it's a tragic backstory for the protagonists to overcome. So what happened there (and has actually happened in a few others I read too) is that the reincarnated lead knows ahead of time that this particular slave will grow up to be a celebrated hero/love interest, and wants to get in their good graces early by buying and freeing them. The heroine in Death is the Only Ending is just too much of a coward to free him afterward because she assumes everyone in the world wants to kill her. Honestly she's kind of a terrible person generally.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Greatest Estate Developer counts as an architect and it's great. "Native" buildings that are well made, but just lack modern concepts and amenities (like heated flooring). Has to find ways to actually put his knowledge to use because he doesn't have access to modern equipment and material recipes, and is a massive shitlord to everyone that crosses him in any way.

Both elves and orcs being muscular carnivores also helps.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
couldn't get into Estate Developer much.

Trash in the Courts Family was just better in every way for that type of character

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Trash is annoying because the MC gets all these op treasures and surrounds himself in the strongest people and still acts like a pitiful coward expecting his death if it becomes open combat ever. (at least as far as I saw) constantly trying to fight against death flags he's long since surpassed in strength.

Estate Developer the MC learns a bunch of OP crap and he realizes he's pretty dang strong, just not at main character level, but still far stronger than he would need to be to survive. Instead he keeps seeing explicit visions of the future showing him how things are still gonna go bad for his family, even after deviating from the script so much

I get really tired of stories that are like 'I'm fated to die so I have to panic and keep avoiding every death flag' even as they clearly have become either super strong or friends with everyone who is meant to one day kill them, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Greatest Estate Developer counts as an architect and it's great. "Native" buildings that are well made, but just lack modern concepts and amenities (like heated flooring). Has to find ways to actually put his knowledge to use because he doesn't have access to modern equipment and material recipes, and is a massive shitlord to everyone that crosses him in any way.

Both elves and orcs being muscular carnivores also helps.

At least for what I'd read of the story before I fell off, the idea that he doesn't have modern equipment wasn't really a huge problem because his gacha roll gave him the appropriate (and cute) mascot character to handle the heavy lifting.