Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some good news in the world, Japan raises age of consent from 13 to 16 and redefines rape to include lack of consent, not just physical force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Always nice to have a reminder that better things are, in fact, possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Finally, now Alabama has to catch up to Japan of all places

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65953872

Oh heck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Welp, now they can BE with the Titanic. Forever.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Just because you commodify and make routine extremely risky endeavors does not mean you should. That goes for space tourism as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Just because you commodify and make routine extremely risky endeavors does not mean you should. That goes for space tourism as well.

If a bunch of rich people want to sign a stack of waivers :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So it turns out the Reddit lockdown was caused by exactly what you imagine it was: The dumbass Reddit CEO wanted to emulate Musk.

In response to the protest, he forced some reddits to open back up, which in response a bunch of them are just posting sexy John Oliver photos

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Maybe leave the mass grave in an extremely hostile environment the hell alone?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yup, fuckem.

"The company charges guests $250,000 (£195,270) for a place on its eight-day expedition to see the famous wreck."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Yup, fuckem.

"The company charges guests $250,000 (£195,270) for a place on its eight-day expedition to see the famous wreck."

Yeah, the only person/people I feel bad for is the crew of it

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We need to tack on a 100% markup for the unprojected environmental damage that will undoubtedly result

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarineTraffic/status/1670807380899004423?s=20

Looks like tugs are underway

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommieGIR posted:

Finally, now Alabama has to catch up to Japan of all places
The age of consent in Alabama is 16?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The age of consent in Alabama is 16?

So is the age of Marriage without parental consent. Its 18 in Japan. Which a bunch of religious groups went hard to defend a younger marriage age limit in Alabama.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommieGIR posted:

So is the age of Marriage without parental consent. Its 18 in Japan. Which a bunch of religious groups went hard to defend a younger marriage age limit in Alabama.

You are mistaken. The minimum age without parental consent is 18 and 16 with parental consent which is pretty much in line with the rest of the country.
https://www.findlaw.com/state/alabama-law/alabama-marriage-age-requirements-laws.html

e:
I grew up in Alabama and it's a plenty backwards state with many problems but it irks me when people assume it's completely backwards in every way.

That's Mississippi.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You are mistaken. The minimum age without parental consent is 18 and 16 with parental consent which is pretty much in line with the rest of the country.
https://www.findlaw.com/state/alabama-law/alabama-marriage-age-requirements-laws.html

e:
I grew up in Alabama and it's a plenty backwards state with many problems but it irks me when people assume it's completely backwards in every way.

That's Mississippi.

Hey, I know you grew up there, and have strong emotional ties to the state and all, but your from the second worst loving state we have in the union. I mean, when your behind the Dakota’s, Carolina’s and the loving Virginia’s just don’t defend it.

Like the Taliban, you do not in fact have to hand it to Alabama.

You are correct that Mississippi is worse. My wife went to Ole Miss a lifetime ago, and holy butt loving poo poo does Mississippi suck.

Makes Alabama look like loving Switzerland.

But never forget, Alabama is just the second rung on a very long ladder of lovely states.

:911:’Murica!:911:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

e:

That's Mississippi.

The comment is the best part

"Marriage under 16 is voidable, not void. Marriage between 16 and 18 without parental consent is not grounds for annulment."

Oh you need parental consent *wink wink*

Dude. Alabama sucks. Georgia sucks. Most of the Southern States (which I grew up in as well) suck as far as female rights. You don't have to defend Alabama.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yeah, the only person/people I feel bad for is the crew of it

The company made reference to "the crew" although this may have been a catch-all sort of thing where the paying passengers get to be "crew" and "explorers" too.

According to the BBC this guy might be on board.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

stealie72 posted:

Yup, fuckem.

100 years later titanic still claiming lives, except this time it’s only the idle rich.

Similar foolishness when that billionaire tried to justify having a mega yacht with two submarines by treating finding old wrecks as a critical priority instead of a weirdo hobby, when it wasn’t ramming coral reefs.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 19, 2023

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Is this a "Put on your corpse handling gloves" situation?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Edit- Nm I’ll wait till we know more.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wrong Theory posted:

Is this a "Put on your corpse handling gloves" situation?

I have no idea how much extra air the submarine has.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
96 hours supposedly (of which maybe 18 are gone)?

A few possibilities:

It's caught on the wreck or lost propulsion and settled on the bottom, but is otherwise functional. Probably the only scenarios from which an alive recovery is possible.

It lost power, in which case air supply and hypothermia are likely to become issues quickly. It's only just above freezing down there.

It imploded, in which case there may not be much to recover. Not sure we've had any other occasion in history to recover human remains following deep-sea implosion but it's a pretty violent process. Good news is you're supposedly unconstituted faster than your nerves can process the information.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Someone in gibbis found an article about that missing submersible. To judge by it, those dudes are all completely hosed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's generally true of any Submarine accident though. You're a long, long way from help.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's generally true of any Submarine accident though. You're a long, long way from help.

Regular subs don't use construction pipe and game controllers for vital components. Seriously, the article describes a submersible with the build quality of one of John Holland's failed prototypes.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I would not trust a for profit endeavor to install the number of redundancies I would want to feel safe using a private submarine that wasn't repurposed from the Navy Fleet. I hope those people are OK. All of the loss of power/propulsion drills had scary as poo poo immediate actions

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Regular subs don't use construction pipe and game controllers for vital components. Seriously, the article describes a submersible with the build quality of one of John Holland's failed prototypes.

The waiver that says "This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body," is a goodun too

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Wow what a shitshow. We need a crying James Cameron emoji just for that one.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I don't want the last line in my big boy explorer journal to be "the vessel was all set to take us down to 350 atm pressure depth but the floatie fell off" but maybe I am just weird

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I think most submersibles have an emergency function where it dumps ballast and automatically floats back to the surface. If that's not enough then it's probably the kind of accident where your lifespan is measured in fractions of a second. But who knows how it works on a shithead VC techbro deathtrap, it's entirely possible they're just sitting down there slowly freezing to death.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I know this is the kind of attitude I look for from the company that's going to take me to a depth where I will be instantly liquefied if something goes wrong:

"...inside, the sub has about as much room as a minivan. It has one button. "That's it," said Rush [the company's CEO]. "It should be like an elevator, you know? It shouldn't take a lot of skill." "

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah, I would think that you would want at least a single emergency blow procedure, a backup blow procedure, a secondary means of controlling your planes, a manual means of controlling your planes, and a backup propulsion method on anything that's going deeper than 30 feet or so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Most deep sea subs like that are tethered for that exact reason other than Sub rescue vehicles

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
They got the fully immersive Titanic experience they paid for.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

stealie72 posted:

"...inside, the sub has about as much room as a minivan. It has one button. "That's it," said Rush [the company's CEO].

iMplode by Apple.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Supposedly the sub will automatically drop its ballast after 24 hours. The follow up question to that would be if something has gone wrong and the pilot is still conscious, why was it not done immediately? Or was it, but the sub is entangled or the ballast didn't drop cleanly? I guess in a best case scenario the thing will bob up sometime tonight or early tomorrow morning and someone aboard can answer that question.

The article above makes a big deal out of this particular sub's ballast being surplus steel pipes or whatever. They obviously fit the requirement of being heavy but I wonder if they did test drops with the sub in odd attitudes, like, I dunno, maybe if it was tangled on a wreck?

IIRC the Trieste used iron balls held up by an electromagnet. If the sub lost power, the magnet would switch off and the balls would drop. Out of the sub. Stop being juvenile.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Stop being juvenile.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discussion Quorum posted:

Supposedly the sub will automatically drop its ballast after 24 hours. The follow up question to that would be if something has gone wrong and the pilot is still conscious, why was it not done immediately? Or was it, but the sub is entangled or the ballast didn't drop cleanly? I guess in a best case scenario the thing will bob up sometime tonight or early tomorrow morning and someone aboard can answer that question.

The article above makes a big deal out of this particular sub's ballast being surplus steel pipes or whatever. They obviously fit the requirement of being heavy but I wonder if they did test drops with the sub in odd attitudes, like, I dunno, maybe if it was tangled on a wreck?

IIRC the Trieste used iron balls held up by an electromagnet. If the sub lost power, the magnet would switch off and the balls would drop. Out of the sub. Stop being juvenile.

Sounds like somebody's balls didn't drop