Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TraderStav posted:

Non stop since they turned the feature on.

For me it just started in the last month or two, I think. Prior to that they were all legit (hotel rooms and such).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anytime I leave home I get the message and they're in my pocket. Behaves better with my iPad though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone getting a bunch of false positives from Find My left-behind notifications? When I change locations, carrying my AirPods Pro, I routinely get a “no longer with you, last seen at Place You Just Left” message and panic lightly.

Yup. Multiple times a week for my AirPods

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cats?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
After landing at the airport last month I got an alert that my baggage was last seen about halfway through the flight. According to the map it must have fallen out of the plane. 😄

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I've finally caved and started using icloud to back-up my phone instead of to my computer. I've had messages synced with icloud for a while now, but it seems that only a fraction have made it into the cloud (3.1gb showing in the cloud vs 45gb on my phone). I have over 120gb of free space left in my icloud drive, so I don't think space is the issue.

Should I try unsyncing then resyncing on my iphone? I have a few imessage conversations with late friends and relatives that I consider precious, so I want to do whatever possible to keep them safe.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This may be the stupidest workaround possible, but maybe try loading up your iPhone with media (music? podcasts? videos?), which might trigger your device to upload everything possible into iCloud to free up some space?

When did you upgrade your iCloud storage? What is your upload speed like? It may take a very long time for 40GB to get uploaded.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to make a smart list in reminders.app to exclude a tag? I only see options to include a tag.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a couple of long trips coming up and I'm looking at refreshing/consolidating my charger and battery gear.

Looking at recommendations for the following:

-Magsafe compatible external battery. I would highly prefer one that supports fast charging. Also looking for a regular battery pack that does fast charging and possibly 2 devices at the same time.

-2-in-one charging dock for phone and watch. Needs to support the full 15W MagSafe charging for the phone, and if possible, fast charge the watch. Bonus points if it has an extra usb port for charging other poo poo. I'm currently looking at the Mophie travel charger that folds up and has a little bag for it. Also checking out that Anker cube thing. I'm not sure if there's anything better out there.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 19, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have a couple of long trips coming up and I'm looking at refreshing/consolidating my charger and battery gear.

-Magsafe compatible external battery. I would highly prefer one that supports fast charging. Also looking for a regular battery pack that does fast charging and possibly 2 devices at the same time.

-2-in-one charging dock for phone and watch. Needs to support the full 15W MagSafe charging for the phone, and if possible, fast charge the watch. Bonus points if it has an extra usb port for charging other poo poo. I'm currently looking at the Mophie travel charger that folds up and has a little bag for it. Also checking out that Anker cube thing. I'm not sure if there's anything better out there.

Recently picked up the below and they're working really great:

https://a.co/d/4GCZF66

https://a.co/d/0qOSUNJ

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anker and Mophie are both great, but I do lean towards Anker at this point.

I don’t have this one but want it:

https://www.anker.com/products/a1289

Not a battery pack, but I take this power strip with me on the go, def recommend (doesn’t do wireless but whatever):

https://www.anker.com/products/a9126

For the battery MagSafe packs: I don’t have the Anker one post but I’m sure it’s fine. The otter box one is super good if you want a smaller one:

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/magsafe-wireless-power-bank-for-magsafe-and-5k-mah-black/78-80534.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
You could also go nuts and buy this for $2,000.

https://www.anker.com/a1780

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The anker stuff is legit. I don't have a MagSafe power bank but I got one of their bigger powercore models (25k mAh) and did a road trip with it, easily kept a phone, a watch, a mirrorless camera and an action camera charged for 5 days.

(The action cam was the biggest drain, if I ditched that I could have gone two weeks)

Edit - only caveat is you can't charge gadgets and the power bank at the same time. Not sure if this is universal for all anker stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

You could also go nuts and buy this for $2,000.

https://www.anker.com/a1780

We got the $200 version of that for camping and it’s pretty awesome. Good for car trips too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really want a Powerhouse due to Florida/hurricanes. One day I’ll take the plunge.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The last false positive I got was for the tag on my car keys while driving which was funny to me. Probably had to do with going into a no-internet place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to say that anker solar generator is a bad choice, but it's a pretty crowded market and if you're into one of those 2000+ Wh deals you'd do well to shop around. Definitely money to be saved there.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

This may be the stupidest workaround possible, but maybe try loading up your iPhone with media (music? podcasts? videos?), which might trigger your device to upload everything possible into iCloud to free up some space?

When did you upgrade your iCloud storage? What is your upload speed like? It may take a very long time for 40GB to get uploaded.

I upgraded to the 200gb plan about two weeks ago. I had icloud for imessage enabled before the upgrade when I only had the 5gb plan.

While on the topic, what’s the current meta on creating imessage exports, either into a pdf or some other similarly accessible format?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

While on the topic, what’s the current meta on creating imessage exports, either into a pdf or some other similarly accessible format?

iMazing is a paid option. There may be some free GitHub alternatives that do the same thing.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Has anybody ever had issues with AirTags telling people there's an unknown one with them, even with the phone associated with it has been right nearby the whole time?

I'm trying out an iPhone for a while since I'm really not thrilled with how Google's going all-in on AI bullshit and it's been kinda rough so far, but most recently I got an AirTag for my house keys (in case I lose them), and while I was out running errands with my housemate for the first time since I got the AirTag, she got a notification that there was an unknown AirTag following her. Both my keys and my phone were with me the whole time, so from my understanding, it shouldn't have triggered an alert. Seems like it'd get real annoying for anybody spending time around me otherwise.

Am I misunderstanding how these things work?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kreeblah posted:

Has anybody ever had issues with AirTags telling people there's an unknown one with them, even with the phone associated with it has been right nearby the whole time?

I'm trying out an iPhone for a while since I'm really not thrilled with how Google's going all-in on AI bullshit and it's been kinda rough so far, but most recently I got an AirTag for my house keys (in case I lose them), and while I was out running errands with my housemate for the first time since I got the AirTag, she got a notification that there was an unknown AirTag following her. Both my keys and my phone were with me the whole time, so from my understanding, it shouldn't have triggered an alert. Seems like it'd get real annoying for anybody spending time around me otherwise.

My understanding is its a privacy thing to make sure someone hasn't slipped an AirTag on her or her stuff to track her without her knowledge.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jisforjosh posted:

My understanding is its a privacy thing to make sure someone hasn't slipped an AirTag on her or her stuff to track her without her knowledge.

Yeah but it shouldn’t go off if the linked phone is nearby, from what I’ve read.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think it makes perfect sense that it works the way you described it. From the housemate's phone's perspective, there's an AirTag following her around. From your phone's perspective, it's perfectly fine. I don't think your phone and your housemate's phone communicate to let each other know it's cool, and imo they shouldn't be communicating.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I get the message if I put my work phone in my bag with my keys which is annoying but makes sense.

The annoying thing about the airtags is that I don't always take my wallet with me, so I frequently get a nag message saying 'wallet was left behind at <home address> ' yesterday I got the same bloody message with my keys in the gym and I honeslty thought someone had broke into my locker. So I ended up rushing back down to find a completely un broken into locker.

I did have this with my iPad for a while when I moved but it stopped doing it after I think it maybe figured out that like this is where I leave things. The airtags don't seem to do this?

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 20, 2023

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

It is shockingly difficult to find a 2- or 3-in-1 dock that supports fast charging for everything it can, the Anker cube would also likely have the benefit of supporting the iOS 17 docking mode for the phone too. I ended up with the Mophie Snap+ 2 in 1 for AirPods and phone then a Belkin watch charger.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

It is shockingly difficult to find a 2- or 3-in-1 dock that supports fast charging for everything it can, the Anker cube would also likely have the benefit of supporting the iOS 17 docking mode for the phone too. I ended up with the Mophie Snap+ 2 in 1 for AirPods and phone then a Belkin watch charger.

I went ahead and ordered that cube in part because of that docking mode for ios17. I'm trying the beta right now and it seems interesting.

I also noticed something about the watch charging.

Anker has a similar older 3 in one that's wedge shaped. It specifically says it doesn't recommend using it for the Ultra because it can't give it enough juice to charge. The cube does not have that note, it specifically says it supports the ultra. I wonder if it charges faster than a normal charger, but not quite up to the fast charge specs.

That was more of a want, anyway. I think the watches charge fast enough for me with the normal standard charge.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it makes perfect sense that it works the way you described it. From the housemate's phone's perspective, there's an AirTag following her around. From your phone's perspective, it's perfectly fine. I don't think your phone and your housemate's phone communicate to let each other know it's cool, and imo they shouldn't be communicating.

From what the AirTag page says, it seems like they do (or, at least, that Apple only pushes the message when the right conditions are met):

quote:

AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner.

That's why I was confused about the alert. Sounds like I'm not the only person seeing this happen, though.

I'm probably just gonna take this off of my keys if this is a common issue and it's just going to keep bugging people around me all the time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have all sorts of AirTags around the house and my partner never gets notified of them following her. Sounds like it’s not very consistent, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You might want to remove/reset/re-pair the AirTag and see if that fixes it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the best place to get the back glass on an iphone XS Max replaced still UbreakIfix? They seem to be the only ones that come up in a google search, and they want $200 for the operation. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Milwaukee area, if that matters

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I have all sorts of AirTags around the house and my partner never gets notified of them following her. Sounds like it’s not very consistent, though.

Yeah I've got them on my ATV remotes and no one else in the house has complained about getting notifications. Shared access can't come soon enough though. I'm sick of everyone asking me to beep the remotes...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is the best place to get the back glass on an iphone XS Max replaced still UbreakIfix? They seem to be the only ones that come up in a google search, and they want $200 for the operation. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Milwaukee area, if that matters

I would recommend calling Apple and getting a quote. They do repairs like that for a flat fee. It might be a little more than $200, but you'll at least know it's most likely being done properly and the repair itself will have a warranty.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kreeblah posted:

I got the same result when I'm biking with my wife. She has an AirTag on her bike, connected to her Apple ID. It showed me a very rough outline of where we had biked. But: She had left her iPhone at home, so it was indeed "not near its owner"!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Jose Oquendo posted:

You might want to remove/reset/re-pair the AirTag and see if that fixes it.

I guess I can give it a go and see whether it happens again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 16.5.1 is out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My iCloud Keychain no longer appears in Safari. It’s enabled in iCloud and syncs to Settings, but I have go to Settings and manually copy paste the password every time. This is extremely annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish there was truth to the rumors years ago that Apple were looking at setting up MVNOs in a bunch of markets so traveling with your phone would be cheaper and seamless, with eSIMs being the default standard these days. Still makes me laugh whenever I land somewhere I get a text from AT&T joyfully telling me if I even sniff a MB of data while roaming I’m going to be paying through the rear end for it.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
My XR is occasionally laggy as hell, like to the point of taking 4+ seconds to respond to the shutter button press in the camera, or a webpage locking up not only Safari but even my ability to switch apps or go back to the Home Screen.

Is a factory reset likely to help or is the phone just old and lovely now? Was planning to reset it “clean” and not restore a backup so don’t want to bother reinstalling and logging into everything all over again if it’s unlikely to be of any use.

Also, what is the System Data using up tons of my storage?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah that’s my XR experience too. Especially when using FaceTime for an extended length which causes my phone to overheat and dim the screen.

And my System Data is at 19Gb for some unknown reason. Wondering if my hypothetical iPhone 15 would benefit from not doing a system transfer and setting up things fresh instead to avoid the bloated System Data issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The fastest way to get rid of system data bloat is to create an encrypted backup in iTunes/Finder, do the restore through iTunes/Finder, and then restore your backup. It takes about 20 minutes, give or take depending on your backup size and how quickly the latest iOS updates.

System Data may also be your photos and videos if you use iCloud Photos AND the "Optimize iPhone Storage" option. It could also be music files if you turn on the same setting under Music.

But if your phone isn't low on space, I wouldn't worry about it.