Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My (Boomer) dad has been having trouble with his printer. I asked him to send me the details and I would look into them. Some message pops up on his printer's LCD screen saying "Toner is low! Visit renewsubscription.com" or something like that.

I go to the website on my computer and find that Brother wants to charge a subscription service for just in time toner cartridges. I guess the idea is that the company detects when you're getting low on toner and sends you a new cartridge right before you need it. But simply replacing toner yourself will apparently make the printer stop working, because God forbid you do something crazy like buy non- Brother branded toner, right?

I thought that only HP was pulling this nickel- and- diming horseshit on their customers.

For Brother printers you shouldn't be locked into the subscription service, where did you see that installing a non-refresh toner wouldn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

don't install the drivers
don't connect it to the internet

this isn't hard

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

What do you mean downgrade?

Anyway windows 11 broke my TPM like two months ago and hasn't done anything to fix it

2023 and MS still haven't solved the disappearing icon problem in windows lmao

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

if Brother is lost all we have left is the Costco hotdog

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Soviets used a pen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Soviets used a pen.

Id still prefer the hotdog tbh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Id still prefer the hotdog tbh

They're hard to write neatly with though, and you go through a lot of mustard.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My (Boomer) dad has been having trouble with his printer. I asked him to send me the details and I would look into them. Some message pops up on his printer's LCD screen saying "Toner is low! Visit renewsubscription.com" or something like that.

I go to the website on my computer and find that Brother wants to charge a subscription service for just in time toner cartridges. I guess the idea is that the company detects when you're getting low on toner and sends you a new cartridge right before you need it. But simply replacing toner yourself will apparently make the printer stop working, because God forbid you do something crazy like buy non- Brother branded toner, right?

I thought that only HP was pulling this nickel- and- diming horseshit on their customers.

Sounds more like a tech support scam popup, but on the other hand, I've never heard of Brother printers before.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Sounds more like a tech support scam popup, but on the other hand, I've never heard of Brother printers before.

They're the best home printer brand by far

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Coolness Averted posted:

this is the bad place

so .... rollerskates?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

spacemang_spliff posted:

so .... rollerskates?

No, these are Hulk Hogan meat shoes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Failed Imagineer posted:

No, these are Hulk Hogan meat shoes

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1647432430872064000

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A poster too perfect for this world RIP

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/areecah/status/1669840081882951680

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nexous posted:

all, please get ready to invest in my newest tech, the markov blockchain

Blockov Chain

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Good

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Someone in another thread pointed out that PespiCo owns Cheetos. Thank you, PepsiCo, for solving racism.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Raldikuk posted:

For Brother printers you shouldn't be locked into the subscription service, where did you see that installing a non-refresh toner wouldn't work?

I think it was somewhere on the website.

Paladinus posted:

Oh, it's definitely a scam. This was a message my dad was apparently getting on his printer's LCD screen; something along the lines of "Toner low. Visit subscriptionservice.com for details".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My Brother printer is the only thing that's pure and good and perfect in my life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My Brother printer is the only thing that's pure and good and perfect in my life

I had to change the toner the other day and I spent ten minutes getting mad at my Brother printer for not working and being a piece of poo poo. Turns out it was my laptop loving up.

I'm sorry Brother :smith:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

2025 White House wallpapered in brand logos like a NASCAR.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

2025 White House wallpapered in brand logos like a NASCAR.

"President Trump met with CEOs in the Cadbury Oval Office today to discuss crop failures..."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i love my RBG gamer whitehouse

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

There's a dang cheeto in on the white house!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

COPE 27 posted:

There's a dang cheeto in on the white house!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Family_Theater

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The first film screened in the White House was The Birth of a Nation in 1915;

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

He ain't heavy.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

idk if this is the thing to send to the past to confuse them or that trump became president after the black president named Barack Hussein

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Who did your mother gently caress if your brother is a printer?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Who did your mother gently caress if your brother is a printer?

Oh I know this one - the father is a surgeon

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh Brother, where art thou

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

cash crab posted:

ennui is a webcam
identity is a subscription
bats are bugs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
good fake cartridges will fool the brother printer, but it's become a bit of a rat race between them and firmware updates

make sure to use your printer gun if it tries anything funny

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, an Apple exec came straight out and said it.

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1669749505707876353

"If we give in to one union, other people might think it's okay to unionize, and we can't have that!"
https://twitter.com/Marv_Boogie/status/1669778378491322368
https://twitter.com/priyadesai/status/1669790786190278656

loving the "it's not personal" as though that makes things better instead of worse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

today is the day joe biden became president

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He ain't heavy.

goon-carrying-printer.txt could have become legendary for a completely different reason if he'd busted out with this line

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's not personal but those loving writers think they're the center of the universe

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What the gently caress are y'all printing anyway? I had a printer for uni, but as soon as I graduated, it just collected dust. On the off chance I need to print, I can do it at work or the library, but it's love once every several months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress are y'all printing anyway? I had a printer for uni, but as soon as I graduated, it just collected dust. On the off chance I need to print, I can do it at work or the library, but it's love once every several months

i need one, can i have yours