Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just learned that's called Sarye's Law.

:awesomelon:

And they say you can't learn anything good on the internet.

Extended Shifts is the obvious next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just learned that's called Sarye's Law.

Huh! I learned something new today. Thanks! :D

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Seedling Arks Project Report: Entry Two
Preparations are continuing, but some of the younger and more rambunctious team members have decided a public house is of the utmost importance.

Well, as long as it keeps spirits high, I suppose the Project will benefit, however indirectly.

Our supplies are covered in snow and ice. They seem undamaged, but we'll have to dig them out to be sure.

We spent hours hacking at the ice to free our supplies, but we did it. We were forced to abandon them once - doing it again would be unforgivable.

As yet another argument breaks out between engineers over the correct diameter of a compression coil or some such vapid nonsense, I get word that the scouts retrieved some of our lost supplies. Most importantly, a steam core, which will be invaluable for our automaton production.

We can see what looks like a cave entrance on the mountainside.

A large snow dune covers a broken automaton that we had to leave behind during our journey from Britain.

From that location the scouts reported spotting a mountainside cave, but of course our broken automaton takes precedence.

This site is abundant in frozen timber, and it would be a shame to let it all go to waste. A sawmill is designated to be built.

One of the geologists noted the presence of exposed iron and coal veins, enough that we could build two mines on each. The first steel mill is designated as well.

Captain, in a few days the temperature will drop. Our Seedling Arks will be in danger. We have to keep them warm with Heaters or Steam Hubs.

The temperature level in the Arks is currently chilly, though still within operational parameters. When the temperature drops tomorrow, we will simply need to activate the heaters we have already installed within them.

Only the top of the automaton is sticking out of the snow. Digging it out will take some effort, but should be worth it.

This automaton was left where it broke down. Thankfully we've managed to dig it out and fix it. We can now send this fully operational automaton to the city.

The scouts are scientists and engineers on par with anyone else on the team, and are able to get the broken automaton repaired and headed back our way with a minimum of fuss.

It appears to be a perilously located mine.

A dark shape looms in the distance, clearly visible on the white plain. It's the main vehicle from our expedition.

They take note of what they've dubbed the "icefall mine," but again the location of our lost dreadnought takes highest priority.

Our limited number is starting to make itself felt as we continue to expand. To compensate, everyone will be working longer shifts.

Our expedition's main vehicle, left hopelessly wedged in a crevasse. Exploring it will be difficult, but we have to find the Factory plans that are on board.

We rappelled down into the crevasse, listening to the ominous sounds of the ice cracking under the weight of the steel behemoth. After an hour or so of searching, we find the document safe and retrieve the Factory plans.
We must get them to the city as fast as possible. The weather is getting worse by the minute and we need automatons to secure the city and the Seedling Arks before the storm hits.

The Factory blueprints, several steam cores, and a good amount of other salvaged materials in tow, the scouts are headed back home as quickly as possible.

Excellent! Now we can start setting up the automated infrastructure to keep the Seedling Arks at a safe temperature.
Bring back the plans, set up a Factory and increase the number of automatons to 3.

Between the one that was here and the one that is headed back to the city as I write, all we need to do is build a single automaton on site to prove that the Project is back underway. We are behind schedule, but still comfortably within expected deviation.

Not all of the steam cores will be going into automatons - some are needed for other infrastructure, like our first coal mine.

With an eye to the future, the medical team led an initiative to ensure that any of us who fall ill will be taken care of.

The scouts have returned, plans and cores in hand! They are given a hero's welcome in the newly-built pub, but excuse themselves to head back into the cold not long after, intending to explore some of the points of interest they skipped along the way.

The Factory is now being erected, and will soon be followed by a hothouse - we have been surviving off of soup made from the rations we brought in with us, but those will only last us a few more days.

Captain, the temperature in one of the Seedling Arks has dropped too low. If we do nothing, its precious contents will be lost.
We mustn't let that happen!

As soon as the temperature drops, the heaters are activated. The Arks are returned to a sustainable, if slightly chilly, heat level before any permanent damage is done.

Our automaton has returned to us, and is quickly given the official go-ahead to begin its work. It shouldn't be long now until our growing fleet numbers three.

One of the mechanical engineers has brought up a proposal that he says will increase the long-term efficiency of our automatons. He will have one day to show preliminary results.

Soon the Factory will be churning out automata at a rapid pace, and the SAP will be back on track. Our projections for long-term success are looking extremely promising, as well as the projections for our short-term survival.

What will our next three laws be, to ensure the survival of the Seedling Arks?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Got to go for the options that cater to the sick and injured, since our human numbers can't be increased.

Also, did I read this scenario correctly, the idea is that we are saving these seeds for some nebulous future, but after the automatons are secured we just go back to the crater?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
We'll get our duelling law eventually! Academia requires blood!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CzarChasm posted:

Got to go for the options that cater to the sick and injured, since our human numbers can't be increased.

Also, did I read this scenario correctly, the idea is that we are saving these seeds for some nebulous future, but after the automatons are secured we just go back to the crater?

The idea is that the group is a bunch of scientists who are literally prepared to die for the cause of securing the seeds, the goal is to get enough automatons built and running to have the city operate and maintain itself without any human intervention, so that even if all the scientists die before the world warms back up, the seeds will be there for the future. The crew is there for as long as they can last but they don't have the numbers to sustain society or humanity themselves.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I get the impression New London and the Arks are unaware of each other, although their scenarios seem to be happening at the same time.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mechanical Ape posted:

I get the impression New London and the Arks are unaware of each other, although their scenarios seem to be happening at the same time.

Plausible

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The first scenario doesn't really mention it as part of the feel of being the only survivors, but there were a LOT of generator sites set up by just the British Empire over an enormous swathe of territory, let alone the projects of other countries. So in the first scenario we saw one other generator site that failed, as well as a foreign project that failed, but that's just what was in the local area. This is also the late 1800s or so, there's no reason why one group of refugees would have any clear idea of just how many there were total - and the seedling site is a fairly unusual and specialized one as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Didn't we recover the ice-buried supply crates in the first scenario? I think in that one the scientists were just all dead.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Different ice-buried supply crates?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I *think* that these scientists get referenced later on in one of the DLC's when you meet the Hot Spring settlement in On the Edge.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah, New London and Site 614 are far enough apart that the Frostland maps and sites are completely different. The two cities may be aware of each other at best, but there's zero contact over the course of the game.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Is it meant to be concurrent? The Big Storm is the same storm that ends the other campaign?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

painedforever posted:

Is it meant to be concurrent? The Big Storm is the same storm that ends the other campaign?

I've always assumed but I don't think it's ever established one way or another. In Endless Mode you endure periodic bad weather (Small Big Storms, I guess you'd say) so there are certainly more storms stalking the Frostlands.

I just like imagining the professors in Site 614 doing science in tweed jackets while New London is over there sacrificing kids to the Great Generator God or whatever.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Seedling Arks Project Report: Entry Three
Now that we have the public house established, the team has been voting for more practical considerations.

A care house is built, not out of need, but out of foresight and an abundance of caution. With so few of us out here, we must ensure we do what we can to keep every mind and body healthy. Hopefully this will never be necessary.

The factory is finally built, and the first automaton is set to begin production!

There is enough wood and steel left over afterward to upgrade the ramshackle tents we've been sleeping in to more practical bunkhouses.

A short tunnel leads into a vast natural cave complex. It seems to have been used as a warehouse. There are still some supplies here.

This cave could collapse at any moment. It's no wonder it hasn't been turned into a permanent shelter. We'll take what we can and leave before we're trapped in here... or worse.

Some food and wood is salvaged from this cave, its former inhabitants having wisely moved on.

The automatons are performing admirably. Now we have to make enough of them to automate all the critical operations in the city before the storm hits.
It's the only way to ensure that the Seedling Arks will be supported during the storm.

At long last, our first automaton has been produced on-site! A second is already on its way. Now we must ensure the autonomous function of the city as a whole.

Captain, we've run out of Steam Cores. We know there are some industrial ruins to the north and south. We might find more Steam Cores there.

We have not yet actually used up the last couple of cores, but projections show that we will before we have constructed enough automatons.

A narrow passage between two steep mountain faces. We could try to traverse it to reach the next valley.

A deep valley covered in a dense fog. Now much can be seen from where we are.

The scout team is redirected to a misty valley which shows promise for further exploration. Not long after, a second scouting party is assembled and sent south, to the pass.

The young engineer has requested an automaton to disassemble and improve. His proposal showed promise, so his project is given approval.

The air is still here - the trail ahead disappears in a milky haze. Even in the middle of the day it feels like twilight.

A narrow path we were investigating led onto a large, flat landscape. The snowy plains we have discovered seem promising. We've already observed a dozen places worth exploring.

This place is the only thing standing out in the endless white desert.

Scout team one reports that they've spotted potential points of interest, but the windswept snowfield does not seem promising from our observations. They are directed on to the icefall mine instead.

Another eminently practical law is signed, though we do not need the extra treatment for our few patients at the moment.

One final request for the Automaton Project - a steam core. This is our last one, so we will not be able to build any more automata until the scouts are able to retrieve more, but I've pored over the proposal and the projections are impressive.

Steep rock faces protect us from the wind, but we fear a rockslide could happen at any moment.

Traversing the narrow pass while avoiding the falling rocks and small avalanches was perilous, but we managed to get through.
The observations made from the pass revealed several sites in the area worth exploring.

The scouts collected some timber that was smashed by a rockslide after navigating their way past the potential of another one. A lone boulder marks their next destination.

This mine is at risk of being buried by an avalanche at any time. It must have been abandoned a long time ago.

Judging by the equipment, it looks like this mine was constructed before the great winter, possibly by the first prospectors to explore the area.
The general disarray inside the buildings suggests they were abandoned abruptly, presumably due to some sort of earthquake. Many valuable resources have been left behind.

The precarious position of this mine precludes and possibility of establishing an outpost here. The scouts grab what they can and move on.

Our search hasn't uncovered anything of value, but we may be able to reach some more promising locations from here.

A shelter covered in a thick layer of ice.

A research outpost of some sort looms in the distance.

Though the storm does not appear to be moving towards us with any notable speed, the scouts opt to explore the further research outpost first, in case the storm moves and it becomes inaccessible later.

The Automaton Project is a success, and our chances of overall success in the Seedling Arks Project has risen by an estimated 5%!

This research outpost was deserted a long time ago. It's quite old, but there might still be some useful equipment inside.

The people who worked here were explorers. They paved the way north for the rest of us. They must have left in a hurry - perhaps to reunite with their families before the Great Winter took hold.

Three steam cores have been located! The scout team is instructed to return home with them, though they will make a quick detour to the isolated shelter before they do. In celebration, or perhaps in some sort of perverse contratian reaction to my visible approval of the last couple of laws, the team has decided we will start brewing moonshine and handing it out with the daily soup rations.

A vehicle wrecked by an explosion. There are parts scattered around it.

A broken snow crawler partly covered by snow. It has to be one of the vehicles we lost in the blizzard on our journey north.

The other scouts have located a few vehicles which promise more supplies, hopefully including more steam cores.

One of the snow crawlers that was lost on the journey north. Disassembling it will provide us with resources.

This snow crawler was separated from our expedition by the blizzard and ran out of fuel. Our people are still inside, frozen solid. We'll give them a proper burial.
The crawler was built before the great winter. Nobody predicted how bad the weather would get - it didn't stand a chance. All we can do now is dismantle it for resources.

We found steam cores, along with the lost members of our team. I hope the poor souls did not suffer as they froze, trapped inside a relic of the past...

This shelter is well built and looks intact. We might be able to find some resources inside.

This shelter must have been built for some important person, or a very small group. Whoever was supposed to live here never showed up. The supplies are untouched.

Another trove of steam cores is located, as well as a cache of frozen steaks! The scouts are hurrying back to the city with them as I write.

Some resource depots were constructed with the wood and steel we've been accumulating as we wait for more steam cores. Before they are finished, though, it is time to take another poll.

What will our next three laws be, to ensure the survival of the Seedling Arks?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
So we're building robots to ensure that life will resume after the world has been rendered barren and dead by disaster. Maybe we should call this place Horizon city, as we work towards a new dawn. :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Isnt soup mutually exclusive with food additives?

stryth posted:

So we're building robots to ensure that life will resume after the world has been rendered barren and dead by disaster. Maybe we should call this place Horizon city, as we work towards a new dawn. :D

Something like that!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is it possible for the automaton research to go bad/fail? In the first scenario losing one steam core and one automaton doesn't feel too dangerous, but in this one that could be a major setback.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Veloxyll posted:

Isnt soup mutually exclusive with food additives?
Good catch, thanks; fixed.

CzarChasm posted:

Is it possible for the automaton research to go bad/fail? In the first scenario losing one steam core and one automaton doesn't feel too dangerous, but in this one that could be a major setback.
(Edit: misread the question) I've never seen it happen. You can get slightly different results based on your decisions and the research you've already done, but I don't think it can outright fail if you choose to let it go ahead.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 16, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CzarChasm posted:

None of those types of research events can go bad as far as I know, the event descriptions will always tell you if there are risks involved. In this case what you are risking is 1 engineer for a day, 1 automaton for a day, and spend 1 steam core to buff all your automata

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Seedling Arks Project Report: Entry Four
Exploration is continuing, in hopes of securing as many steam cores as possible before the storm renders them inaccessible.

This used to be a large snowcat. Its steam turbine must have exploded, turning it into a heap of junk.

We found some supplies inside the wreck. We'll surely find a good use for them.

The steel and other materials out there will also be of use.

Scout unit two returns with half a dozen steam cores, though we do not have enough steel to resume automaton production immediately.

Sir, an engineer is here to see you. He has a letter to you from his team.
"My workers asked me to deliver this. They're plain people, so it reads like bad poetry, but here's the gist of it: they want to thank you, sir. The sight of this automaton working tirelessly in the inhuman cold, where previously they toiled and suffered, is something worth living for."

The automatons are working to ensure the future of our planet and our species both.

Unfortunately, in the course of securing that future accidents will sometimes happen in the present. We can't afford to slow them down! We did have the foresight to ensure that a prosthetic limb had already been prepared for just such a possibility, though.

The ruins of a large industrial building buried in the snow rise over the horizon.

This building was destroyed by a powerful avalanche. Its interiors are filled with snow, but we should still be able to retrieve some resources.

We discover a bounty of resources as we dig through the snow. Sadly that's not all we find. An avalanche killed everyone who worked here. Their corpses have been frozen solid.
The relatively light clothes and the insignia of Her Majesty's Prospector Corps suggests they were explorers sent north to look for suitable places for Generators during the onset of the great winter. Maybe it's for the best that they weren't there to witness the fall of the Empire.

The scouts spotted and explored these industrial ruins from a landmark that turned out to be bereft of anything of value. After laying the Prospectors to rest, they take what they can and move on.

An automaton found itself entangled with a sawmill which was scheduled to be dismantled anyway. A new one is built and the automaton reassigned to it.

A land dreadnought stuck in the ice. It's barely visible, despite its size.

From yet another nondescript landmark, another dreadnought has been spotted. It is sure to hold a bounty of useful materials.

The other scout team returns to the city with materials aplenty in tow, and immediately set out again to the south.

With the recent increases in injury and illness rates, it has been deemed prudent to designate a small burial plot, located a little ways away from the rest of the city. As the third most popular pick on the ballot was the mutually-exclusive corpse disposal option, we will instead move on to the fourth choice, ceremonial funerals, and hope they are never needed.

An old, abandoned dreadnought that's completely covered in snow. It's been here for a long time.

This land dreadnought wasn't designed for this kind of weather. Presumably it was part of one of the prospecting expeditions before the great winter. We found some priceless resources here.

This dreadnought is of an old design, likely from the same expedition as the Prospectors we already discovered. We were not prepared for the cold back then - we're still not, really, but we're getting closer as we continue to produce automata.

Excellent work! The Seedling Arks are now being safely maintained by the automatons. All critical operations are secured, and we still have time to spare before the storm hits.
If we're to have a shot at surviving, we have to gather as many supplies as we can.

We have achieved the bare minimum objectives of the Project ahead of schedule, but there is still much work to be done. Automaton production is continuing.

It has become clear that we will not have time to evacuate before the storm hits in two weeks. Instead, we are preparing to wait out the storm here, so our objectives have been updated to include our own needs.

There was a brief scare as the temperature temporarily dropped to -60 and the heaters were no longer sufficient to keep the Arks adequately heated, but the construction of steam hubs resolved the issue in time.

Another team member loses a limb to an automaton, and has to have it replaced. We all need to be more careful!

A large supply trailer, stuck in the ice.

A heavy steam lorry. It must have been abandoned a long time ago.

A box-like shape is sticking out of the snow there.

We can see some kind of facility, perhaps a sawmill. It looks abandoned.

The scouts will need to return home before they are swallowed by the storm, but there are still plenty of points of interest to explore out there...

Plenty of various equipment lies scattered around the trailer, probably taken out in an attempt to free it after the ice has collapsed under it.

This gear must have belonged to prospectors or explorers who came here before us. Some of it was twisted and crushed by the moving ice, but we found many usable things.

...some of which yield more steam cores!

Sir, we've noticed something in the distance: a small black dot in the white desert moving slowly towards us.
It's possible it might be a survivor.

This is curious: all of the Project's team members are accounted for, but there is somebody apparently attempting to make it to the city. The scouts are too far away to intercept, so we will have to wait for this person to reach us.

Sir, our people are worn out. Some of them have been working on extended shifts for days on end. Their effort is taking its toll and they're becoming restless. They deserve a break.

I know everybody present is being worked to the bone, myself included, but with such a small team and such stakes on the line we must all pull our weight. Morale is still good enough that we do not need to return to regular shifts.

We found the wreck of some sort of vehicle. We can salvage some parts from it.

Whilst disassembling the wreck to salvage what we could from it, we found a hidden cache of supplies.

This huge machine used to haul tons of cargo until it broke. We can dismantle it to retrieve some resources.

The Generators were built thanks to steam lorries like this and their ability to haul cargo over the frozen landscape. It's a shame it can't be repaired.

The wastelands are littered with broken vehicles, each a treasure trove of useful resources.

Indeed it is a sawmill. It hasn't been used in a very long time. Everything is covered in ice.

There was probably an outpost here years ago. Now there's nothing left of it but this frozen sawmill.

Old buildings and abandoned facilities, too. The scouts are heading back now, as there are no more points of interest to the south and the storm is beginning to creep uncomfortably close to them.

Sir, an exhausted man has just reached our city, badly frostbitten and with a harrowing story to tell.
He says he's come from a nearby city called New Manchester. It's inhabited mostly by workers and their families, but their resources are running out and they're in trouble. Fearing the coming storm, they sent out a scout team to look for help - he's the sole survivor. He begs us to help his people.

Incredible! This man found us in his search for aid for New Manchester, a nearby settlement. Unfortunately he is in poor shape and unable to provide us with more details. We have taken him in for treatment.

Captain, the man who arrived from New Manchester is in critical condition. If he doesn't get help right away, he'll die. He could be our only chance to learn more about the other city.

For once, the entire Project team, Oxford and Cambridge groups alike, is in agreement. We must do everything we can to find out about New Manchester.

It's a small camp - just a few tents. There are no signs of activity.

We were not able to get the location of New Manchester from the scout before he fell unconscious, but we were able to locate his expedition camp with the Beacon. The scouts, who were already on their way home, are redirected that way instead.

As we anxiously await his successful treatment, it is time to take another vote. There are only a few options left, so people may now choose from one to three options per ballot.

What will our next laws be, to ensure the survival of the Seedling Arks?

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
I think we’re at a good place at this stage, no extra laws needed currently. The nerd commune has fighting and booze and prosthetics for the combination, what more could we need?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Yeah, this feels like a pretty solid stopping point re: laws. Triage is more trouble than it’s worth when we have so few to begin with, same with Dueling. Pleasure house just plain worries me with its implicaions.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'll readily admit I've been voting for duelling laws out of some stubborn desire to see the inter-college rivalry go to an absurd extreme. I fully understand it's a terrible idea for this scenario due to the lack of manpower.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I'll readily admit I've been voting for duelling laws out of some stubborn desire to see the inter-college rivalry go to an absurd extreme. I fully understand it's a terrible idea for this scenario due to the lack of manpower.

I promise academic slapfights are not dramatic. I imagine with both parties bundled up in snowsuits it would be pretty pathetic.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
No new laws

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

BassMug posted:

Pleasure house just plain worries me with its implicaions.

Not just implication, there's an event that can result from the law that spells out the forced aspect of it.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Avalerion posted:

Not just implication, there's an event that can result from the law that spells out the forced aspect of it.

Oh. Credit where credit’s due, these devs do not hold back with the gut punches. Respecc.

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, voting for pleasure house was fun before realising its forced sex work. As much as I’d love if it was Old Men Ankles One Night Only XXX, Professor Bridgerton really feeling himself, what the game will give us doesn’t really make for a fun time.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

alas, a quick google says there's no trivial way to mod things, so we can't make a Horse of Pleasure mod

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

biosterous posted:

alas, a quick google says there's no trivial way to mod things, so we can't make a Horse of Pleasure mod

The real tragedy :(

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I don't think steam powered giant robots would make for good sex workers, despite what the engineers would think.

No. Stop. Get that image out of your mind you filthy degenerates.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SugarAddict posted:

I don't think steam powered giant robots would make for good sex workers, despite what the engineers would think.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

"Lets Play Frostpunk: I don't think steam powered giant robots would make for good sex workers, despite what the engineers would think."

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

SugarAddict posted:

I got an automaton that'll clear your bridge. :wiggle:

I mean, it's the historical era for hysteria treatments, and the world freezing brings on a lot of hysteria.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Where is all this taking place anyways? Scotland? Are the land ships for crossing the ice so we're in Europe somewhere and I just forgot?

e: I assume going north wouldn't actually help, so I assume somewhere more equatorial?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The arctic circle IIRC. Everyone moved there when things got cold.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

No laws to suggest, but we should research and build an Infirmary if we haven't yet. This poor blighter from New Manchester needs a full recovery, and unfortunately we can't simply take his leg off and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
The game takes place far, far to the north. I don't remember if it was ever specified that it was in the arctic, but it could be. Iirc random fluff from the game or loading screen tips says that the Generators were built so far north both to avoid anarchy that was taking place in the more populated areas of the world as temperatures drop, and the north contains some absolutely massive fuel reserves that are needed to power the Generators.