Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Zelensky was in the trench

Also Zaluzhny and Budanov.

Solovyov was pushing a story that German weekly Stern had an article claiming that Budanov was in a coma in a German hospital. Apparently it got enough traction that Stern wrote an article denying they had ever written such an article:

https://www.stern.de/politik/auslan...f-33568256.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they blew up three Benjamin Ghazis

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Using your tanks as a VBIED is a sign of desperation, it's an incredibly wasteful use of them to hit a handful of troops in a trench

Possible it wasn't in a condition to operate with a crew, and doing double duty of VBIED and disposal to keep out of UA hands.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
this is quite unfortunate

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1670725673495805952

you'll find that the outbreak among their soldiers is not because of the flood they caused, but because the U.S. is bombing them with mosquitoes

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670722024044392448

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You don't know that. We have no idea of the strength or numbers of Ukrainian troops in the treeline. One tank could easily be worth sacrificing for that. The Russian's certainly thought it was.

It has a big loving gun and can hurl rounds into said trenches. Putting in a fuckton of bang that could likely be better used and making a hail mary run across a field hoping it wouldn't hit a mine or get a missle earlier in the manner of a IED like ISIS did isnt the sign of a military doing well. So yeah actually it's quite reasonable to think it was a desperate move.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why can't you not draw conclusions and say "I don't know why they did it"?

It's not a sign of anything. Show me other instances of this happening and I'll come around to your side. For now it's an isolated incident about which we know next to nothing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's not a sign of anything. Show me other instances of this happening and I'll come around to your side. For now it's an isolated incident about which we know next to nothing.

Yes ok I admit Putin is very smart and handsome and a brilliant strategist

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes ok I admit Putin is very smart and handsome and a brilliant strategist
I heard Putin was a giant piece of poo poo.

Confirm / Deny?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

You're going to bat awfully hard for any excuse that the conscripts are brilliant tacticians on the ground when it's shown time and time again that they're uhhh not.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No I'm not. Learn to read.

E: Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. I'm watching something really frustrating right now.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 19, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

There aren't other instances of it happening because it's a dumb loving thing to do.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The tank thing reminds of the Warsaw Uprising, where the desperate nazis were looking for ways to dislodge the partisans holed up in the old town ruins. They abandoned a tank outside the old town and the young Polish soldiers fell for the bait and drove it into the old town, when the explosives hidden inside were set off, killing the civilians coming out to celebrate.

http://www.sppw1944.org/index.html?http://www.sppw1944.org/powstanie/niedziela_eng.html

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

You already got your answer above - even a trashy tank is still more valuable as a somewhat mobile cannon than a cruise control pinata. Being used as a latter is either a desperation move or inabilty to use as intended.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes.

Quite a Beast. :kiss:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Sorry, I have no link. I watched a russian woman laughing at stuff about tankie propaganda and then my right side feed of similar stuff got clicked on. I just went down the rabbit hole of various russian people howling at how bad poo poo is and reacting to tankies drinking the cool aid.

e -https://www.youtube.com/@roman_nfkrz This guy did appear in some of them as another poster linked.

Tai fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 19, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Russians planning to release mosquitoes

Big Nazi bomb dogs trained on German tanks energy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tai posted:

Sorry, I have no link. I watched a russian woman laughing at stuff about tankie propaganda and then my right side feed of similar stuff got clicked on. I just went down the rabbit hole of various russian people howling at how bad poo poo is and reacting to tankies drinking the cool aid.

e -https://www.youtube.com/@roman_nfkrz This guy did appear in some of them as another poster linked.

who was the russian woman?

Strategic Tea posted:

Big Nazi bomb dogs trained on German tanks energy

*Soviet

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dwesa posted:

you'll find that the outbreak among their soldiers is not because of the flood they caused, but because the U.S. is bombing them with mosquitoes

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670722024044392448

lol that's absolutely ridiculous. Like, not even the tiniest bit plausible...

*Remembers MKULTRA was real*

ok still probably not, but still nonzero

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*shoots swarm of mosquitos making opponent poo poo themselves to death*

FATALITY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dbl post

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

*Putin spends 50 minutes of his annual parliament speech to explain that Havana Syndrome guns made him short and full of poo poo*

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The Defense Minister says US is planning to use a wmd against Russia sometime soon and their plan is just to sit there and take it? I'm not sure that's the sort of propaganda they want out there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Defense Minister says US is planning to use a wmd against Russia sometime soon and their plan is just to sit there and take it? I'm not sure that's the sort of propaganda they want out there.

Their main audience is elderly people who watch TV and dont remember 15 other times military officials and "experts" warned about dirty bombs and genetic weapons

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I know, I'm just making fun of it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Two things about the boomtank:

1) Someone posted that it was an old video from '14 or '15. Has it been confirmed one way or another?

2) Maybe the reason they used a tank was as bait to blow up an even more valuable enemy vehicle, the natural predator of Russian tanks: the Ukrainian tractor.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

It's a common phenomenon in fascist rhetoric - the enemy is weak and to be despised, yet simultaneously they are also powerful and to be feared

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Carth Dookie posted:

MKULTRA was real but none of the crazy mind control poo poo was.

Hopefully the biolab mosquitos are though

NihilCredo posted:

Two things about the boomtank:

1) Someone posted that it was an old video from '14 or '15. Has it been confirmed one way or another?

2) Maybe the reason they used a tank was as bait to blow up an even more valuable enemy vehicle, the natural predator of Russian tanks: the Ukrainian tractor.
1) Wasn't that comment about the anti-tank rifle poser?
2) Extremely plausible, but it didn't make it to a tractor

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

not that implausible

but yeah, there is a small problem regarding the fact that pathogens/insects/gas clouds do not distinguish between enemies and allies

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

There aren't other instances of it happening because it's a dumb loving thing to do.

there was an instance of MTLB filled with explosives from February, but no tank afaik

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

*Putin spends 50 minutes of his annual parliament speech to explain that Havana Syndrome guns made him short and full of poo poo*

poo poo, I have Havana Syndrome.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

re: Boomtank

Given the state of those other shells posted earlier in this thread, does Russia even have any worthy 100mm rounds in storage for the (very old and generally obsolete) D-10 gun on the T-54/55?

Sure, turning that tank into a giant bomb was still a pretty desperate option, but if the ammo stocks are rotten crates of rusted garbage (or maybe even just an I.O.U. pinned to an empty rotten crate), the tank can't even be used as a poo poo-tier makeshift artillery system. That's not to say that loading it up with several tonnes of explosives and setting it to drive off in a straight line (over a minefield?!) is a particularly good use of the vehicle though.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1670782422340739073
This is pretty weird. What are Ukrainian pows doing in a NATO/EU country?

quote:

The spokesperson added that the POWs are kept in isolation, have no access to open sources of information, and can communicate with their relatives only in the presence of "third parties."
https://kyivindependent.com/foreign-ministry-demands-access-to-pows-transferred-to-hungary/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

not that implausible

but yeah, there is a small problem regarding the fact that pathogens/insects/gas clouds do not distinguish between enemies and allies

Last year they were freakout out about he labs they were saying saying the bioweapons were specifically engineered to target only russians lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1670685730773803008?s=20
At least you're going to get a monument to your "heroism". Or you might not. Should have given up when you had the chance, what a senseless waste.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

McGavin posted:

poo poo, I have Havana Syndrome.

Havana poo poo in my pants.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Last year they were freakout out about he labs they were saying saying the bioweapons were specifically engineered to target only russians lol

They found a way to target the vatnik gene?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1670789486039425025

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1670685730773803008?s=20
At least you're going to get a monument to your "heroism". Or you might not. Should have given up when you had the chance, what a senseless waste.

I don't believe I've heard liquidated used that way

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Moldovan constitutional court bans pro-Russian party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't believe I've heard liquidated used that way
It's a russian-language thing, kind of like "eliminated"

So much for the tolerant West, won't even allow a traitor party!