Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Desert Bus posted:

My arms are terribly crippled but most cane users are just leg-weird and probably have a strong arm from adjusting to using the cane. Your legs don't need to move fast once you've pool-cued the pointy bit of a cane into someone's ribs or diaphragm or whatever. Variations of "big stick" are extremely popular re: being weapons across all? cultures for a long time. A sword is just a fancy big stick.

Concert venues check for weapons but 100% ignore canes. Hollow adjustable canes could hold a LOT of drugs. They see the cane and offer you good seating. The bathroom line? It disappears and you just walk right to the disabled stall.

As a pedestrian? No cane? Drivers suck. Cane in hand? Avoid you like you have the plague.

Now i'm not suggesting you pretend to be disabled, but there ain't nothing wrong with using a walking stick or somesuch and letting the rest of society decide how they're gonna treat you? If i was to suddenly not get disabled I'd still carry one?

I know it's been out of fashion for awhile but carrying a big stick feels about as wrong as not carrying a decent pocketknife to me these days. You can poke things from so far away.

Well poo poo. I’ve been in limbo thinking a cane would be really helpful but then I’d be “admitting defeat” or some internalized-ableist nonsense, and this post really resonated. Life might actually get a bit easier when others can see that I have mobility issues, instead of just gritting my teeth all day to look abled and then being exhausted and sore.

Plus then I can sneak one of those yardsticks of bubble gum into any concert or stadium!

Sometimes the unnerving posts are the ones that shake loose a lot of self-imposed restrictive thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I had the same moment last year but

Busket Posket posted:

Plus then I can sneak one of those yardsticks of bubble gum into any concert or stadium!

Is this a long long man reference?

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Grassy Knowles posted:

Is this a long long man reference?

No, but that song will be stuck in my head for another decade now…

I meant these:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've been using a cane since I was 22. I'm 37 now. It, and everything else related to being disabled young, sucked hard, but these days it's just an extension of my arm that means I can stand in lines without agony. Getting nicer ones helped a lot at first.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Busket Posket posted:

Well poo poo. I’ve been in limbo thinking a cane would be really helpful but then I’d be “admitting defeat” or some internalized-ableist nonsense, and this post really resonated. Life might actually get a bit easier when others can see that I have mobility issues, instead of just gritting my teeth all day to look abled and then being exhausted and sore.

Sometimes the unnerving posts are the ones that shake loose a lot of self-imposed restrictive thoughts.

Yeah it's internalized that you should pity or look down on people who are visibly broken when really you should be all "good on you for taking care of yourself!" and then apply that new attitude to yourself. Use that cane, wear that leg brace, slap that handicapped tag on your rear-view mirror and learn that most of society will help your life suck less AND you'll feel better.

You wanna know what happens if you get pulled over and a cop asks to search your car and then immediately finds a handicapped tag? They pretty much give up lol

Giving into the accoutrements of visible disability is like finding a real life collection of magical gear that gives you all sorts of neat protections.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I carry a symbol cane because I'm visually impaired. I don't use it to guide myself; it's just a visual cue to other people that says 'hey she can't see too well'. Tell you what it gets people out of your way. And if they bang into you anyway, well, it's not your fault.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

HopperUK posted:

I carry a symbol cane because I'm visually impaired. I don't use it to guide myself; it's just a visual cue to other people that says 'hey she can't see too well'. Tell you what it gets people out of your way. And if they bang into you anyway, well, it's not your fault.

And if they don't get out of your way you can deliver a solid beat-down

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Desert Bus posted:

And if they don't get out of your way you can deliver a solid beat-down

I'm short and chubby so I just lower my head slightly and keep walking and let people bounce off me.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I have severe arthritis in both knees but am too young for surgery, so I've started using a cane when I go out to help me get out of low-slung cars, step up onto curbs, and so on (I don't really need to lean on it when walking). I'm actually shocked at how nice people can be about it, like taxi drivers will leap out and open the door for me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a doctor, and I only ever saw one episode of House, but I wonder why he didn't go for amputation at some point. That seems better than destroying your entire body and life because there's something wrong with your thigh.

There’s an episode in the first season that covers the whole backstory of his leg. Basically they were going to amputate it, but he instead opted for a solution that would either result in a complete recovery or kill him and when it didn’t seem to be working and he was not conscious a doctor presented his (then) wife with a third scenario that potentially saved his life and leg but permanently crippled it, and so a huge part of his crankiness is not just the leg pain but the belief that he was right and if they’d just waited a little longer it (maybe) would have worked

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Desert Bus posted:

I am NOT going to re-watch House to see if his hospital had a compounding pharmacy. It is likely, if they were really such high class medical facility with a great oncology division? That they would. BUT IRL GOOD loving LUCK GETTING COMPOUNDED SPECIALTY OPIOIDS unless you are like literally dying from cancer.

I'm pretty sure he was just eating Vicodn most of the time though which is usually 5mg/500mg or 7.5mg/750mg.

It makes him hallucinate due to his body dying from the liver toxicity. I can't imagine how the gently caress else Hydrocodone could make you hallucinate as much as House does.

House does specifically take place in a high-class teaching hospital iirc, the whole point is sending people there you got no idea what else to do with. They have one of those surgical robots at one point. (Though I'm not sure that showed up outside the hallucination sequence) His whole deal is being Sherlock Holmes as a doctor and all.

christmas boots posted:

There’s an episode in the first season that covers the whole backstory of his leg. Basically they were going to amputate it, but he instead opted for a solution that would either result in a complete recovery or kill him and when it didn’t seem to be working and he was not conscious a doctor presented his (then) wife with a third scenario that potentially saved his life and leg but permanently crippled it, and so a huge part of his crankiness is not just the leg pain but the belief that he was right and if they’d just waited a little longer it (maybe) would have worked

Yeah, the whole point is as much it isn't even so much about his injury as it is his pride and ego.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So did anybody hear about that guy from the army that says the Pentagon has alien spacecraft and bodies?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

i must compose posted:

So did anybody hear about that guy from the army that says the Pentagon has alien spacecraft and bodies?

Surely the bodies must be a bit manky by now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be a great story if there were literally any evidence at all, which is the same exact deal as most ufo stories.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Yeah I just can't figure out why this dude would throw away all his credibility to make a statement like that. Book deal?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Morbidful/status/1667259547860324374

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh my god

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/did-this-hoarder-lose-her-dead-son-in-her-home-111937/amp/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Lol, another story in that article happened about 2 miles away from where I live. I had no idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"That same year, in Buenos Aires, Claudio Aferi, 58, was found dead in his home and next to him was the body of his mother, Margarita, who died 10 years earlier. The body was not concealed and appeared to be an active part of Claudio’s routine."

Yes, sure, a routine :catstare:

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Busket Posket posted:

If you do start using a cane, look into how to use it correctly.

I've been using one for 25 years, and was given/shown how to use it in hospital, and still I've ended up with hand/wrist + other biomechanical problems from unconsciously using it incorrectly. They are more treatable than the neurological problems that require its use, so there is that.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

There is little here and the Sheriff’s Office needs to know how to actually present themselves, but Valencia County Sheriff’s Office have announced today that they are presenting evidence to the DA to pursue charges against an as of yet unnamed suspect or suspects in the disappearance of Tara Calico, who has been brought up in this thread multiple times.

The Office says they have a credible suspect after 35 years.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/new-details-on-tara-calico-case-expected-to-be-revealed-tuesday/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The police have said for years that they are basically certain who did it but didn’t have enough evidence, haven’t they? I might be confusing that with a similar case.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

"That same year, in Buenos Aires, Claudio Aferi, 58, was found dead in his home and next to him was the body of his mother, Margarita, who died 10 years earlier. The body was not concealed and appeared to be an active part of Claudio’s routine."

Yes, sure, a routine :catstare:
Ever so slightly better than being found alive I guess

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The police have said for years that they are basically certain who did it but didn’t have enough evidence, haven’t they? I might be confusing that with a similar case.

Yeah, they have for years had someone that they believed to have been involved, but they also curiously mention that 'All public theories' were ruled out.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does anybody remember something that happened a few years back, where a woman with her children in the car veered into the oncoming traffic on a highway, and got them all killed in a head-on collision?

I saw a documentary about this years ago, and I think the police said she was drunk and had possibly been smoking marijuana also, just hosed out of her skull and this caused her to pass out or whatever and cross the median.

The controversy was, if I recall correctly, that her husband said she didn’t drink or smoke and in any case would never have done it while transporting the kids.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I can’t remember the name of the documentary or the names of the family.

I don’t really want to rewatch it, I’m just wondering, what the final judgement was. Had she in fact been drinking, etc.

I think the police had said she must have bought some booze at a store she stopped at, and slammed it in the bathroom or something, and this was what the husband had a problem with. He claimed she’d never do anything like that, etc.

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

MrMojok posted:

Does anybody remember something that happened a few years back, where a woman with her children in the car veered into the oncoming traffic on a highway, and got them all killed in a head-on collision?

The 2009 Taconic State Parkway Crash—the doc is There’s Something Wrong With Aunt Diane from HBO

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

MrMojok posted:

I saw a documentary about this years ago, and I think the police said she was drunk and had possibly been smoking marijuana also, just hosed out of her skull and this caused her to pass out or whatever and cross the median.

The controversy was, if I recall correctly, that her husband said she didn’t drink or smoke and in any case would never have done it while transporting the kids.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I can’t remember the name of the documentary or the names of the family.

I don’t really want to rewatch it, I’m just wondering, what the final judgement was. Had she in fact been drinking, etc.

I think the police had said she must have bought some booze at a store she stopped at, and slammed it in the bathroom or something, and this was what the husband had a problem with. He claimed she’d never do anything like that, etc.

That one always just screamed spiked drink to me. It seems like the only possible conclusions that anyone would accept was that she was a massive alcoholic and drug user or a saint. If she was drinking it's not like she'd be the first woman to have her drink spiked.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leviathan Song posted:

That one always just screamed spiked drink to me. It seems like the only possible conclusions that anyone would accept was that she was a massive alcoholic and drug user or a saint. If she was drinking it's not like she'd be the first woman to have her drink spiked.

She went to a McDonald's at like 11am and the crash was at 1:30pm; did somebody spike her drink at the McDonald's at lunch? i agree that the coverage seemed weirdly and unnecessarily polarized but I'm not sure "spiked drink" is the clearest call either

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MrMojok posted:

From what I looked up it seems like retesting confirmed she was intoxicated at the time of her death. Sad case all around and it sounds like the truth might be something more like 'she'd never have driven with the kids if she thought that she was impaired', which unfortunately doesn't always coincide with someone's actual impairment levels.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PetraCore posted:

From what I looked up it seems like retesting confirmed she was intoxicated at the time of her death. Sad case all around and it sounds like the truth might be something more like 'she'd never have driven with the kids if she thought that she was impaired', which unfortunately doesn't always coincide with someone's actual impairment levels.

Yeah, I just looked it up too. Also read there was an empty bottle of Absolut Vodka in the van, which her husband tried to explain away by saying “we always kept an empty bottle in the camper, and she must have accidentally thrown it in the van when we were packing.” ?!

Also that she was seen twice before the crash kneeling in the grass beside the parked van, as if she were vomiting.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

She went to a McDonald's at like 11am and the crash was at 1:30pm; did somebody spike her drink at the McDonald's at lunch? i agree that the coverage seemed weirdly and unnecessarily polarized but I'm not sure "spiked drink" is the clearest call either

I was thinking more along the lines of someone spiking the vodka bottle that she sips from regularly to keep her functioning. It's a lot easier to hide being a functional alcoholic than it is to hide being drunk enough to drive the wrong way on the highway.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of someone spiking the vodka bottle that she sips from regularly to keep her functioning. It's a lot easier to hide being a functional alcoholic than it is to hide being drunk enough to drive the wrong way on the highway.

That feels like a bit of a stretch.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

That feels like a bit of a stretch.

Maybe but it seems like less of a stretch than the tooth abscess theory.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It reminds me of the Stephen king short story where a single mom intentionally crashes her van full of kids and kills everyone :(

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

remigious posted:

It reminds me of the Stephen king short story where a single mom intentionally crashes her van full of kids and kills everyone :(

Herman Wouk Is Still Alive? That was very loosely based on the case we're talking about, I believe, written only a couple of years after the incident (you can read it here: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/05/herman-wouk-is-still-alive/308451/

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Irisi posted:

Herman Wouk Is Still Alive? That was very loosely based on the case we're talking about, I believe, written only a couple of years after the incident (you can read it here: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/05/herman-wouk-is-still-alive/308451/

Yeah, that’s the one. Such a bummer of a story.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Leviathan Song posted:

Her BAC was 0.19%, that 16oz McDonalds orange juice would have been what, half everclear at that point?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded weirdly enough of the 'dingo ate my baby' story and how it became a bizarre media circus and they thought she actually sacrificed her baby in some satanic ritual or something and no one seemed to look up what a dingo actually is in an encyclopaedia.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's just a dry type of dog, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i wish stephen king wouldn't try to write women