Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ulio posted:

Watched Fast X home release. It's fine but so many times in the movie I felt like I might have seen in this in the theaters when I didn't. If they didn't have new characters/actors I would most likely think I 've seen this. Jason Mamoa is loving awesome though, haven't seen him forever since he went into the superhero poo poo.

So much of it just felt perfunctory. The setpieces were often fun, but often throwbacks to other ones.

My main complaints were the extremely rote fights for Brie Larson and the jack reacher guy, as well as the pretty good fight between Rodriguez and Theron just truncating abruptly

I think it might have been better than 8&9 but they're all blurring together at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

dokmo posted:

Safe rules, 87 eleven did the action, Statham fit right in to what they were trying to do.

Safe, The Man From Nowhere, and Man on Fire are my favorites in the "miserable badass protects little girl and learns to live again" genre. That order is also the scale on which I am in tear by the end. Safe is a nice smile. The Man from Nowhere gets me a little misty. Man on Fire has me in tears by the end every time. I'm a sucker for Dad Movies.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I watched and hated Fast X, so decided to watch The Killer (2022) as a cleansing and didn't love it either. I didn't think it was terrible my any means but all the good action was way too short, and the big hallway sequence looked really bad with all that digital zoom and choppy cuts. Finished it off with my 23482304th rewatch of Night Comes for Us to make me feel better haha

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Is this the thread to complain about fast x? Because gently caress that loving movie.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

speaking of FatF, I'm really surprised there isn't a multi-player coop game where you play a band of car wizard thieves

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think anyone wants to license all the actors and without them what’s the fuckin point?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

dokmo posted:

Is this the thread to complain about fast x? Because gently caress that loving movie.

https://twitter.com/cade_onder/status/1667628360606859265?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

It wasn't that bad, and the series lost its special sauce with Paul walker's death so I go in with low expectations.

The real question is why the tunnel scene sounded like a tie fighter engine

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think anyone wants to license all the actors and without them what’s the fuckin point?

Have you never done sick jumps in a game just because you could?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

speaking of FatF, I'm really surprised there isn't a multi-player coop game where you play a band of car wizard thieves

That’s basically GTA Online

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fast X is very much my cup of tea, I loved it. Such a great blend of earnestness and outrageousness, it is Fast movie magic for me. Lotta fun watching it with some friends yesterday, including a friend who had only ever seen Tokyo Drift. They were blown away too.

I think that's the beauty of it, when I see a lower rating to it online etc, that it's so unique and idiosyncratic for a spectacle blockbuster series. By being so boldly eccentric and pure to its vision, it's just gonna really appeal to certain fans, and not others. It was also interesting to see John Wick 4 a bit divisive on here too, that was a masterpiece for me.

Just to show I don't love every big blockbuster, I did hate Ant-Man 3.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I noticed all three Expendables films were available on-demand through my cable provider, albeit with commercials that you can fast-forward through.

I had only seen the first one, in the theater back when it came out, so over the past couple days I binged them all.

They’re silly and over the top, but they know they’re silly and over the top.

I thought they were great fun and it was pretty wild to see all of these action movie dudes with major roles (and some cameos) all in the same flick.

It was time well spent.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Heavy Metal posted:

Fast X is very much my cup of tea, I loved it. Such a great blend of earnestness and outrageousness, it is Fast movie magic for me. Lotta fun watching it with some friends yesterday, including a friend who had only ever seen Tokyo Drift. They were blown away too.

I think that's the beauty of it, when I see a lower rating to it online etc, that it's so unique and idiosyncratic for a spectacle blockbuster series. By being so boldly eccentric and pure to its vision, it's just gonna really appeal to certain fans, and not others. It was also interesting to see John Wick 4 a bit divisive on here too, that was a masterpiece for me.
Same here, had a great time with Fast X. Incredibly dumb and that's exactly what I wanted.
My personal viewing experience was enhanced by somehow being the only person in a theater that seats 386 people - the FF movies are the kind that benefit from a rowdy crowd IMO, but being able to let loose solo was also great!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It suffered from being part 1. Outside of Mamoa chewing scenery it was a lot of standing around talking about family while they set up the sequel. I had an OK time with it but it did feel like half a movie and at this point they have ran out of ideas. They are just meta commenting on how goofy rear end things work in universe.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I feel like I need to defend my immense hatred of fast x.

1. The twee villain character that was conceived to irritate the poo poo out of me specifically.
2. There's no ending, that's total bullshit.
3. Action set pieces were muted and uninspired.
4. All the characters were off on their own separate adventures, that's no way to build narrative cohesion.

Plus all the weird plot cul-de-sacs that don't pay off, like the kid learning to drive and han eating a psychedelic donut. These aren't terrible in and of themselves, but are indicative of a sloppy script.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

I feel like I need to defend my immense hatred of fast x.

1. The twee villain character that was conceived to irritate the poo poo out of me specifically.
2. There's no ending, that's total bullshit.
3. Action set pieces were muted and uninspired.
4. All the characters were off on their own separate adventures, that's no way to build narrative cohesion.

Plus all the weird plot cul-de-sacs that don't pay off, like the kid learning to drive and han eating a psychedelic donut. These aren't terrible in and of themselves, but are indicative of a sloppy script.
Yeah I think you're right on most of this (except Momoa) and that its a symptom of it being a two parter. I posted this in another thread, but the entire London adventure should have just been cut out. All of it.

Dial down Vin scenes in Brazil a bit,.especially with the sister we've never seen before, and axe a few Jakob scenes like the music one. For Dom, you just do bar scene, street race, immediately to police station and highway shootout. Just have him save Ms. Nobody instead of the sister with the car door.

At that point, you're at like an hour and a half movie and can actually just do both parts at once in a blockbuster runtime (2h30 these days).

These movies have always had people go off on their own/in pairs to do scenes, but then they always come back for the finale. Not having that really hurt it.

Beyond just the pacing, my problems with the action were:
The hand to hand with the two agency people were both completely uninspired
The Statham garage scene was completely uninspired too

The two big setpieces : ball in Rome, highway at end - were both homages to better setpieces. This even got lampshaded with the former.

When you think back on the other movies they all had something completely new and great :
5: train, safe
6: flipitover cars, million mile airstrip
7: building jump, cars out of planes, a ton of poo poo
8: family vs vin, zombie car chase, submarine ( I didn't like the submarine that much though)
9: going to space (not much else worked in this one for me)

This one had the admittedly cool Jakob car, and the dam setpiece but it wasn't enough and wasn't rewarding. Partly because no one else was there for it

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The dam scene was disappointing because there was no action in the scene other than a fully CG impossible stunt. Which doesn't end up saving the day or do anything character-wise and it doesn't even get him out of the trap. Preaching to the choir here in an action movie thread but good action isn't just "Character Does a Cool Thing", you gotta work to earn an awesome moment or give it some kind of payoff.

Unrelated, but there have been some choice comments the director and Vin have made about this movie:

Diesel: What gets harder [about the films] is the work off-screen. The thinking, the expanding... It's hard to continue mythologies. There's a reason why Tolkien stopped writing after a while.

Letterier: Describing the film's retcon of Fast Five (2011), Leterrier said it was to "explore the price of justice", noting, "[We] Rashomon'ed [the fifth film] to experience it through the eyes of Reyes,

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 12, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I super disagree that FX was in any way "unique and idiosyncratic" as a spectacle. There's nothing in it that hadn't been done before, and done better, in other Fast Films.

trevorreznik posted:

When you think back on the other movies they all had something completely new and great :
5: train, safe
6: flipitover cars, million mile airstrip
7: building jump, cars out of planes, a ton of poo poo
8: family vs vin, zombie car chase, submarine ( I didn't like the submarine that much though)
9: going to space (not much else worked in this one for me)

9 had the bullshit giant electromagnets, which were fantastic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Anyone watched Extraction 2 yet? It has the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the first: A genuinely insane and super impressive faux long take quite early on and then nothing nearly that good for the rest of film. It ends with an absolute wet fart.

The long take scene, which is sort of a remix/expansion of the scene from the first, is crazily ambitious and probably one of the few that actually uses the gimmick well instead of simply showing off.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Snowman_McK posted:

Anyone watched Extraction 2 yet? It has the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the first: A genuinely insane and super impressive faux long take quite early on and then nothing nearly that good for the rest of film. It ends with an absolute wet fart.

The long take scene, which is sort of a remix/expansion of the scene from the first, is crazily ambitious and probably one of the few that actually uses the gimmick well instead of simply showing off.

Watching it tonight, but my thought after the long take in the first was "how the hell do you top that in the sequel...they're probably not going to, but just do a different version"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Watching it tonight, but my thought after the long take in the first was "how the hell do you top that in the sequel...they're probably not going to, but just do a different version"

They do actually top it, in the sense of doing more or less the same thing but bigger, longer, more elaborate and crazier. They also top the disappointment of the first's comparatively underwhelming climax. It's still better than 'The Gray Man' or 'Carter'

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I felt the skyscraper battle was stronger than the oner which was much too overextended. Loved the section where Rake is taking out guys with the equipment in a penthouse gym

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 17, 2023

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Man, after the dredge that was Fast X, and being a little let down by The Killer (2022) Extraction 2 is exactly what I needed. Both main set pieces were cool and the choreography was well done. JW4 is still my from this year, but this is easily #2

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I super disagree that FX was in any way "unique and idiosyncratic" as a spectacle. There's nothing in it that hadn't been done before, and done better, in other Fast Films.

opening with 5's safe run and then go one to recreate it with a giant cgi ball didn't help

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Watched Fast X this week, and it's really amazing that we now have an action series with a clip episode like just like an 80's family sitcom

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

brocked posted:

Watched Fast X this week, and it's really amazing that we now have an action series with a clip episode like just like an 80's family sitcom

And just as schmaltzy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've been going through some Donnie Yen stuff and watched Special ID today. It's basically the same undercover cop story you've seen a hundred times before but the undercover cop is Donnie Yen doing Donnie Yen things for the whole movie. Highly recommended.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That long faux-oneshot in Extract 2 was absolutely insane.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MrMojok posted:

Yeah I stand corrected, that poo poo was amazing.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I haven't seen the first Extraction, should I just watch #2?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah the story and character development in these movies is minimal and not a strong point, you won't miss anything by seeing them out of orde

You should see the first one though, it's pretty good.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Extraction 2 is a whole lot better than the first one, which I felt was just a stunt reel,this one feels like a movie.
I gotta check my speakers tho, some of the sound effects sounded muted as heck

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I wanted to like Extraction 2 but holy crap the cgi for the gunfire was so bad.

I am glad to see the Adam Bessa in more stuff, check out Mosul on Netflix if you haven't

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

MrMojok posted:

Whoever planned out the train sequence definitely played Uncharted 2, and that's not a criticism. poo poo was awesome.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Well I ended up watching both of them back-to-back last night.
Solid 3/5 stars for both from me - cut out like 40 minutes of exposition from either one for an extra star.

I guess the second one was a slightly better movie but I liked the first one just a bit more, something about warmth and crowded, compact streets in India felt more frantic to me, even though the pivotal part of the second one was a literal prison and then in a train, so not especially "roomy".

Both of those "one shot" sequences were loving fabulous though, worth the price of admission!
And in general I really liked how much dust was blowing and how bricks got blown up from gunfire and so on, made it feel very visceral.

In the first one, that blink-and-youll-miss-it shot of Hemsworth swinging a dude's body to snap another dude's neck? Literally cackled out loud and rewound to watch it again.
Nothing quite on that level in the second one for me, but that glass roof slide + treadmill kill did get a good "whoo!" out of me, oh and one heli getting shot down by a LMG and then a bit later a second one getting shot down by a minigun... just lovely.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I think I badmouthed the first one ITT last year, saying that it didn’t have much to offer but that oneshot.

But I have to retract that now. I really like both of them.

I must have watched the long sequences from both films a half dozen times each in the last few days. And all I can really say is, holy loving poo poo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
First one didn’t really make much of an impression, I vaguely recall the audio design was lacking and the CGI gun effects were so distractingly bad that even my wife noticed.

Maybe I’ll give it another shot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Schwarzwald posted:

FX2 on the other hand is a masterpiece

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

FX2 on the other hand is a masterpiece
Eh, it was okay. Haven't watched it for years, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My first job was at a grocery store and FX2's grocery store scene was often on my mind whenever I imagined how I would go about things in a Die Hard scenario.