Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Third year in a row starting with White Mage :negative:

Also, :toxx:

Meticulous Monster Masher

I will donate $5, up to a maximum of $50, for each person who posts a screenshot of their fully completed bestiary.

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

In honor of this year's charity namesake:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bad Seafood posted:

I somehow wound up with the exact same party composition I had last year. Might spice it up with a low-level playthrough or something, I dunno, but man, what are the odds.

High enough that you'd expect it to happen to lots of people every year.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.
Party of Knight / Blue / Berserker / LOCKED. The biggest challenge here was just getting the screenshots, holy poo poo. Garula was dying so quick I ended up trying to take a VOD in OBS and screenshot from that, but it didn't work and didn't realize it till much later when I went to try to grab a photo from the VOD, so I completely whiffed the Garula screenshot. Skull Eater and Prototype also took several kills each to get a viable photo.

Garula before Living Flame: Four Knights makes this free, each does about 200 damage per hit so it was just a straight hold-A to win. As mentioned above, no picture on this one because see above tech disaster.

Jackanapes before Byblos: Came all the way back from the Library before killing Byblos for this one. Moon Flute makes it a pure damage race, but Two-Handed Berserker won out (barely).

Prototype before Sol Cannon: Blue Mage makes it free.

Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis: Blue Mage makes this free too, though Incisor being a one-shot means it's not a flawless victory.

I'll get the last four when I get back in town to continue my run later this week.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Unlucky7 posted:

Wow! Starting out with Thief sucks rear end!

EDIT: Finally, one of these crappy skeletons dropped a dagger.

I barely got past Siren

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I barely got past Siren

Bregor posted:

If I remember correctly Thief needs to hit a certain level to get to another damage tier before Magissa/Garula, but it’s been a while. Still prefer it over the slow-but-safe slog of White Mage to start.

Yep. You got Thief, you get to grind. IIRC it's level 11 to get the extra damage, which isn't too bad....

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Mustached Demon posted:

Edit: :downs: Reading comprehension is hard. I somehow glossed over the pridefully in that sentence and just went for plain old Buttz.

Serenity Dove fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 18, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Just beat Karnak, party so far of Blue Mage/Dancer/Red Mage. And of course this after learning that you can't confuse Fans for White Wind in PR.

I hope I get a heavy hitter with Earth, utility is on point but my offense is going to be terrible in World 2.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mustached Demon posted:

You get a lot more room in this version

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ultrafilter posted:

Yep. You got Thief, you get to grind. IIRC it's level 11 to get the extra damage, which isn't too bad....

oh god I hate to ask this but is that character level 11 or job level?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shoehead posted:

oh god I hate to ask this but is that character level 11 or job level?

Character level. I don't think any job has more than seven levels, and you're definitely not getting anywhere near that until the endgame.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 18, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Siren should be doable at like level 7 if you're throwing potions at her during her undead phase.

That said yeah I'd aim for level 11 for Magissa so you can have a shot at bursting her before Forza gets summoned.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

First job Thief is all about steal-farming potions and actually farming daggers from skeletons. It's pretty brutal, but if you do both those things you don't need to grind so much.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Also like...don't be too proud to stick your thieves in the back row. Sometimes you need to survive more than you need the damage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Also like...don't be too proud to stick your thieves in the back row. Sometimes you need to survive more than you need the damage.

Yes! Totally great advice. The strongest part of early Thief is getting a bunch of potions for free, so making your potion heals more efficient is surprisingly useful.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Don’t worry too much about getting pictures of normal enemy kills, folks. It’s a pain in the rear end, and I trust you.

Also thief is so much worse than white mage in early game imo, I don’t think there’s any comparison. White mage has two slow but safe boss fights and that’s it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mustached Demon posted:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

(Stonewall, in case it wasn't clear.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kyrosiris posted:

Siren should be doable at like level 7 if you're throwing potions at her during her undead phase.

That said yeah I'd aim for level 11 for Magissa so you can have a shot at bursting her before Forza gets summoned.

I managed to beat them at 10 but I was practically chugging potions; went through nearly 50 of them. Granted, I wanted to see if I could afford to have them all in the front row and if I could not get one shot by Tackle. Technically, I didn't, but only barely, so I may have mading things a bit harder for myself.

But yeah, being back row is no joke. My first attempt at them at level 9, I sent everyone to the back when Forza appeared, and it reduced his damage by half and i kind of wish I thought to do that during Siren in her Undead phase. Granted, I ended up running out of potions anyway so I had to go back and restock, as well as did a spot of grinding.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ended up with blue/red/beastmaster/dragoon. blue + beast seems like an easy win though having no "press this button to do big damage" job will probably make this more tedious than my black mage or summoner runs.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've button mashed past Garula, it's mostly OK. Drinking potions hasn't been cutting it really and I only got through it by him luckily choosing the wrong targets every time. I need some damage soon.. I rolled red mage for this job so I guess I'm breaking rods forever!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
LENNA STOP YOU CAN WALK DIAGONALLY IN THIS VERSION! YOU DONT NEED TO WALK THROUGH THE POISON GRASS

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
My Volcano team (Run #1) is Monk/Mystic Knight/Samurai/Dragoon. Currently at 3 Reflect Rings at the Barrier Tower with this team.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got Summoner for my second job. That will be just fine.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm currently sitting on blue mage, summoner, and beast master. I don't know what job four is going to be, but I think I've got this run.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

The + in LGBT+ is here, reporting for duty!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Really important thing for people playing on the PR version to keep in mind: when a confused enemy uses an ability that can only target allies, it will only target itself. In previous versions, they would target your party. For example, the Stingray, when confused, will still cast Mighty Guard on itself and not your party. So if you're trying to learn some blue magic spells and you don't have a beastmaster, confuse isn't enough. Fortunately you can reflect Mighty Guard off of the Stingray, and you can get reflect from the wonder wand, but I'm pretty sure that White Wind is impossible to get without a beastmaster.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Mustached Demon posted:

Gay Jack wouldn't fit

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My full party roll ended up being Knight/Blue/Mystic/Monk. The hard part is deciding when I want Blue and when I want Two-Handed...

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Probably gonna be one run and done for me this year. To make up for it, I came up with a fun :toxx:. Don't worry, it should be much easier to complete than my previous attempt at one.

One of my favorite silly little things to do in FFV is mess around with the dancing werewolves in Quelb that give you Requiem. Basically, they turn whenever they bump into something, including you. That means that by standing in the right spot, you can break them out of their loop. The other half of this is that if there's nowhere to go in the direction they would turn, they just stay there, running in place. Forever. (Or until you leave the screen, anyway.)

Getting them all stuck on corners is simple enough, but what if we took things... a step further?

:toxx: I will donate $1 for each person who can get all three werewolves all the way down here, capped at $50. (Only one entry per person, please!) It's trickier than it looks, even once you figure out the method for it, because all the other werewolves wandering around can potentially throw a wrench in things.

Disclaimer: I haven't played the Pixel Remaster, so apologies in advance if it changes how their pathing works in a way that makes this no longer possible.

E: I'll also accept the three spots below the bushes instead. From what I can tell, though, that seems like it would be significantly harder to pull off, so I'll also tack on a one time $5 bonus if someone can manage it.

Well, because I can't let a toxx go undone, I got them there:

This was such a pain lmao. At one point, one other town werewolf was walking back and forth on the 3 tile path between the cliff and the inn and it was a nightmare getting my last wolf past him

Edit: I forgot to get requiem first but thankfully one of the two I could reach was the one who teaches it lol

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 19, 2023

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ultrafilter posted:

High enough that you'd expect it to happen to lots of people every year.

Edit: Realized after posting my maths were off, move along.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
My team this year got me White Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Dancer. Not too thrilled about Dancer, and I'd like a resource-light DPS powerhouse, but I can't really complain about the rod breaking and cheap heals. Maybe next year will be my Blue Mage year....

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Sesq posted:

My team this year got me White Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Dancer. Not too thrilled about Dancer, and I'd like a resource-light DPS powerhouse, but I can't really complain about the rod breaking and cheap heals. Maybe next year will be my Blue Mage year....

My first year was Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist.

I'm still chasing that high.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Mid has repaired the fire-ship and I'm currently Blue/Mystic/Waiting for Ranger crystal/Unknown. Feels harder than a normal run (obviously) but it's always been doable with strategy so far.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The nice thing about Blue Mage is that it’s not that expensive to get !Blue, so even though it takes awhile to get a party healing spell, you can often just chuck it on everyone and use Vampire to stay healthy.

Well, okay, there are also other nice things about Blue Mage.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kyrosiris posted:

:toxx: gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! :toxx:

I like Blue Mage in FFV. I hate Blue Mage in FFXIV. Why? They both share an affection for useless dogshit spells with no purpose. Of the 104 blue magic spells in FFXIV, like thirty of them are near-identical Standard Cast Time, Standard Potency spells that basically all function interchangeably but you just ~have~ to go collect them all because one of your best cooldowns requires some loving Rareware-level "go collect all the tchotchkes" bullshit! gently caress that! It's dumb as poo poo!

So to protest this indignity, I'm putting similar restrictions on FFV because gently caress you, I can. You get a 24-spell palette to slot spells in as a Blue Mage in FFXIV, and a DPS-minded Blue Mage ends up with three open slots, but I'm gonna be nice and give you the full 24 because here's the toxx:

As a Blue Mage haver, complete your Fiesta run with a similar ratio of spells - that is, because 24 out of 104 is 23% of the spells, you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.

I know what seven I'd get, but I'm curious what you'll end up with. I can't give you a morbol mount, but I'll donate $2 to the charity for the first ten people who have the same "gently caress collectathons, actually" mindset I do.

The interesting thing about this toxx is that you'd have to actively avoid some of the spells hitting your blue mage. Unless, like me, you got blue mage last.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I upgraded from Black Mage to Blue Mage after the Sandworm. Any particularly good spells I should grab here before I leave world 1?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aqua Breath, L5 Death, Aero 2, Flash, Dark Spark, Goblin Punch, and Toad Song are the ones from World 1 I'd consider pretty important.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Not gonna lie, this isn't a very fun team, especially for my first run on PR. I've only played on GBA before now, still having to actually use !catch to carry the team is a fun exercise.

Mustached Demon posted:

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Prototype before Sol Cannon

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

2-for-1 with the name and the Prototype.
I forgot to take a picture of actually self-destructing one, hopefully catching counts for the purposes of the toxx.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DalaranJ posted:

The interesting thing about this toxx is that you'd have to actively avoid some of the spells hitting your blue mage. Unless, like me, you got blue mage last.

My first job was Blue and I was immediately "lol no" for this toxx.

Of course I have two sources of confusion to get WW yet I'm playing PR where that no longer works. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

That's, uh, gonna be a little bit dull, but there's very little I'm not going to be able to carve through. Stats will be decent, no magic but I don't have barely anything that scales on magic. Another one of those maybe unironically do brave blade rolls, the only difficult-but-doable i think I'll see is getting enough Thundaga on Omega and Ragnarok's probably off the table unless I hit a breakpoint where drain sword and AFK?