Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

love the time control that all the computer mahjong games use, 5 seconds per turn + 20s per round. games fast as gently caress

I only play in Yakuza games and I'm absolutely the slowest one there, I'm always acting like I'm making some strategic choice for better odds except I don't really know the odds or even all the hands, and a timer would rush me to play faster and win more by virtue of going through a bunch. What I really want is 3 friends to get into it and play in real life somewhere smoky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

What is the best mahjong game on Steam?

Yakuza Kiwami 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

secretly the best mahjong video games are the psp/vita saki games. the animes about freakish girls that have special powers that could only ever benefit you in a game of mahjong and the video games are, structured like a fighting game where every character from the show has their weird cheat powers fully implemented

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

homeless snail posted:

love the time control that all the computer mahjong games use, 5 seconds per turn + 20s per round. games fast as gently caress
unfortunately that doesn't work with mtg where you can have some elaborate infinite combo that involves a ton of interaction by the player to pull off, but also often results in you burning the rope out before you can complete it as you frantically activate trigger off of triggers off of triggers off of drawing half your deck which triggers other things or whatever, but if you DO complete the combo properly in time you win

one might argue that combo players deserve to get roped by their own deck mechanics, but eh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Gah, I have to play Kiwami 1 still first!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I meant to post this here, I know nothing about yume nikki but I have been watching Gobou's wonderful little animations ever since they started uploading them, and their most recent one is my favorite alongside their Secret Level Song one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1zY5ndOXI&hd=1

it's that or this one that are my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNhphyF74sA&hd=1

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

unfortunately that doesn't work with mtg where you can have some elaborate infinite combo that involves a ton of interaction by the player to pull off, but also often results in you burning the rope out before you can complete it as you frantically activate trigger off of triggers off of triggers off of drawing half your deck which triggers other things or whatever, but if you DO complete the combo properly in time you win

one might argue that combo players deserve to get roped by their own deck mechanics, but eh

On the other end of this, I remember Hearthstone used to or maybe still does have an issue with their animation system not letting you act while they play out, but they do continue to drain the turn timer. There was a card that made every players turn only 15 seconds, and if you played that with a card that had a long enough animation chain, your opponent would literally skip their turn from being unable to act.

They eventually kind of addressed it by letting those animations play out slightly longer, but the skip turn animation combos were still possible. That combo also probably could end plenty of games without the skip turn troll aspect lol It involved playing a copy of every ETB effect you played that game, which could include the ETB to do all the ETBs again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hideo Kojima and Nicolas Winding Refn spent the day touring NYC in matching Lycoris Recoil shirts

https://twitter.com/kojima_hideo/status/1670541346828869632?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i distinctly remember sitting in toast's stream years back watching him holding poor bastards hostage for an hour with the yogg + shudderwock combo and seeing how far he could stretch it before the entire client would literally crash from an out of memory error

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've been playing mahjong on and off since I was a tiny baby. i still do not know how to play mahjong well

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mahdong :D

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yes that's one of the gacha banners in mahjong soul

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Hideo Kojima and Nicolas Winding Refn spent the day touring NYC in matching Lycoris Recoil shirts

https://twitter.com/kojima_hideo/status/1670541346828869632?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ
yesterday they spent the day wearing matching heartman shirts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tomorrow they are wearing one big shirt together

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Captain Invictus posted:

oh I meant to post this here, I know nothing about yume nikki but I have been watching Gobou's wonderful little animations ever since they started uploading them, and their most recent one is my favorite alongside their Secret Level Song one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1zY5ndOXI&hd=1

it's that or this one that are my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNhphyF74sA&hd=1

I've always loved the Scott Pilgrim game one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VneKjsUR1oM

and the Necrodancer one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-L9L7q4EU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

yes that's one of the gacha banners in mahjong soul

Mahschlong :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Draga posted:

I've always loved the Scott Pilgrim game one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VneKjsUR1oM

and the Necrodancer one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-L9L7q4EU
yeah, they're all just fantastic and fun

Dunno if they're even remotely relevant to the game itself but the animated shorts are wonderful. The sort of thing where you have to watch them multiple times to watch what each character does because they're constantly doing little blink and you'll miss it things during the whole video. I wonder what the creator does for a living outside of these animations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I said come in! posted:

What is the best mahjong game on Steam?

Zachtronics Solitaire Collection

Note: I don't know anything about mahjong. That's the one with the balls, right?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 19, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Mahschlong :D

mahjong is alright, but have you heard about ligmah

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ligmahjong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hwurmp posted:

mahjong is alright, but have you heard about ligmah

Who is Steve Jobs? :confused:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Imagine Dragons

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sometimes it seems like some Wii games have the exact same combination of motion control sports, but they use a different developer and publisher in different regions, e.g. Summer Sports: Paradise Island by Detineer in North America is Sports Party by Ubisoft in Europe, both featuring horseshoes, croquet, badminton, lawn darts, and basketball minigames like Horse. I wonder how that happened, like if Nintendo asked for those specific sports and they used different contractors

also, while I'm on Wii games, I'd like to highlight this comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F0UI6guMJshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYMmfqlulk
because it was weird that people in the comments were asking for motion controls and then this other game when emulated has motion controls while having more detailed and sharper textures on the course itself, and it also has a level editor. The first game spends all the modern improvement in graphical capabilities on the course's surroundings

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 19, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

more of a ding than a dong

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Omori rotates out of Gamepass at the end of the month. Any opinions on it?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Rinkles posted:

Omori rotates out of Gamepass at the end of the month. Any opinions on it?
One of my favorite games of 2020, which was a crazy year. Well worth playing for the soundtrack alone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When the moon pizza pie, that's omori

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Omori's a good game. IMO the combat is a little lacking, but it's a story game first and foremost, and the story is excellent.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 19, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Valheim is an extremely good hangover game as I confirmed yesterday. It wasn't too brutal but since I don't really ever drink any more, it was enough to not want to do anything constructive or leave the house. Running around fields, chopping down trees, building huts, excessive clarinet - all gentle mellow stuff for the dehydrated mind.

I'm also seriously considering deleting Slay The Spire from my Deck and PC as it just demolishes my time with other games.

Have got my eye on Triangle Strategy for some reason. Have heard it's very cutscene heavy though. Game good?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/Msw3S63.mp4

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

frytechnician posted:

Have got my eye on Triangle Strategy for some reason. Have heard it's very cutscene heavy though. Game good?

It's real good but yeah it is definitely cutscene heavy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I somehow missed that citizen sleeper 2 got announced. Hell yes! I'll do more of that poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Decided to try No Man's Sky again on PC since they've supposedly added so much stuff. Conclusion: UI is still loving awful.

- To disable motion blur you have to change a slider from 180 to 0. You can not do this by dragging a slider, you have to do this by clicking the left arrow 180 times
- They still do that horrible "one click isn't enough, you gotta hold your mouse button down for 2 seconds" everywhere
- The toggle from third to first person mode is so unintuitive I needed to look it up online to see if it even existed (gotta press X to access some HUD menu, then another submenu has an icon to toggle it)

Uninstalled after 5 minutes of playing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's a shame, you get used to the UI after six minutes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I love nms but the kb&m experience is pretty bad. that quick ,menu in particular, on gamepad it makes sense because you navigate it entirely on the dpad and it feels good. on keyboard your sense is that all that stuff should just be bound to a key

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The 'roller strikes again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first 6 Yakuza games have been released DRM free on GOG and they're all on pretty deep discounts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

The first 6 Yakuza games have been released DRM free on GOG and they're all on pretty deep discounts

Here's a quick guide to which ones are worth playing and which you should skip, and which you shouldn't bother getting 100% on:

- They're all so loving good :stare:

There is NO way to know if this is not something you can actually do in a Yakuza game or not, it absolutely would fit in anywhere in one of those games :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 19, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I already have 0 and Kiwami 1 on PS4, and I never beat the latter despite having it for years, so I'd feel bad about getting the rest right away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I already have 0 and Kiwami 1 on PS4, and I never beat the latter despite having it for years, so I'd feel bad about getting the rest right away

This is me, I finally finished 0 this year and loved it. The rest of the series is on my backlog.