Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Siegkrow posted:

So I'm reading this "New Champion of Shazam" volume and it is uh...
A bit on the nose?

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

As in, it is pretty unsubtle.
First bad guy she fights during the run is a guy ranting about how he is getting everything that was promised to him, doesn't seem too weird. Followed by Mary getting ambushed by a reporter and running away due to not knowing how to respond.
Followed in the next issue called, literally, "Don't read the comments". About how a bunch of online haters are dogpiling her online. Followed by fighting a bad guy who can talk people into surrendering by exposing them to their worst fears, except that for Mary he just repeats the comments to her and calls her, basically, a dumb bitch. Then she fights a trio of magic fratbros who hate her for "existing" and for "not deserving her power". Also, all the bad guys get their powers from phones.

Like, really, really unsubtle and I think it was meant to be? It's not a bad mini by any means but it really broke my immersion every time I noticed "oh hey the bad guys are all literally internet incels". And, like, dunk away on the incels no problem, but I'd like it if they either went a bit further with it and just stated what their deal was, or explored a bit more with the idea of Mary having become the new champion of Shazam.

And the whole run led into the Lazarus planet storyline with gods and poo poo which, I think isn't over yet??

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Titans #1 was good

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Siegkrow posted:

And the whole run led into the Lazarus planet storyline with gods and poo poo which, I think isn't over yet??

No, it finally ended. Finally. It's... ask BrianWilly...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Siegkrow posted:

As in, it is pretty unsubtle.
First bad guy she fights during the run is a guy ranting about how he is getting everything that was promised to him, doesn't seem too weird. Followed by Mary getting ambushed by a reporter and running away due to not knowing how to respond.
Followed in the next issue called, literally, "Don't read the comments". About how a bunch of online haters are dogpiling her online. Followed by fighting a bad guy who can talk people into surrendering by exposing them to their worst fears, except that for Mary he just repeats the comments to her and calls her, basically, a dumb bitch. Then she fights a trio of magic fratbros who hate her for "existing" and for "not deserving her power". Also, all the bad guys get their powers from phones.

Like, really, really unsubtle and I think it was meant to be? It's not a bad mini by any means but it really broke my immersion every time I noticed "oh hey the bad guys are all literally internet incels". And, like, dunk away on the incels no problem, but I'd like it if they either went a bit further with it and just stated what their deal was, or explored a bit more with the idea of Mary having become the new champion of Shazam.

This kind of reminds me of the recent (well in the last five years) Female Furies mini. Disclaimer I never read it but everything I heard about it made it sound like pretty much the same thing minus the Lazarus Planet thing.
I don't mind comics being unsubtle and really I think doing things in a blatant way can be kind of an artform itself if done right but most times it is just grating and gives off old man energy where some weird writer is going "hey fellow kids, isn't this thing bad...."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Madkal posted:

This kind of reminds me of the recent (well in the last five years) Female Furies mini. Disclaimer I never read it but everything I heard about it made it sound like pretty much the same thing minus the Lazarus Planet thing.
I don't mind comics being unsubtle and really I think doing things in a blatant way can be kind of an artform itself if done right but most times it is just grating and gives off old man energy where some weird writer is going "hey fellow kids, isn't this thing bad...."

The Female Furies miniseries was just weird. I didn't finish it, so maybe there was a twist that I didn't get up to, but the first couple of issues were all focused on how terrible it was that the Furies had to deal with sexism on Apokolips. Which, OK, sure, that sucks, but they're also working for the living employment of tyranny and oppression, so... maybe sexism isn't the worst thing about Darkseid?

It felt like doing an entire story about how the Joker's a bad tipper and treating that as the worst thing about him.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I mean, there are plenty of Harley stories that treat domestic abuse as worse than being a world-historical mass murderer...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Inkspot posted:

No, it finally ended. Finally. It's... ask BrianWilly...
uhhHHhhh well the :airquote:good news for anyone reading it for Mary is that she's the literal only character involved who the event didn't completely gently caress over?? soooooo there's that :buddy:

spoilers I guess the Wizard takes away Billy's powers for batshit reasons, but then he gives them back 'cuz he's like "wait you're actually a good Champion," then he takes away Mary's powers even though she actually did well for herself, but then Hippolyta (who's a goddess now) pops up and is like "Lol suck my dick Wizard" and grants Mary the powers she had in the silver age that came from the goddesses Selene (grace), Hippolyta (strength), Artemis (skill), Zephyrus (speed), Aurora (invulnerability), and Minerva (wisdom) instead of Billy's gods. So that's kinda cute.

Well, Zephyrus is historically a male god but like whatever. Trans rights.

Also at one point they literally call her Mary Marvel? 'Cuz apparently they own that copyright :xd:

Billy and Mary technically both have their powers now though we haven't seen Mary do much in the new series yet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Superboy: Man of Tomorrow's first 3 issues are mid

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

uhhHHhhh well the :airquote:good news for anyone reading it for Mary is that she's the literal only character involved who the event didn't completely gently caress over?? soooooo there's that :buddy:

spoilers I guess the Wizard takes away Billy's powers for batshit reasons, but then he gives them back 'cuz he's like "wait you're actually a good Champion," then he takes away Mary's powers even though she actually did well for herself

I thought Mary gave hers to Wonder Woman or some poo poo?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

spoilers I guess the Wizard takes away Billy's powers for batshit reasons, but then he gives them back 'cuz he's like "wait you're actually a good Champion," then he takes away Mary's powers even though she actually did well for herself, but then Hippolyta (who's a goddess now) pops up and is like "Lol suck my dick Wizard" and grants Mary the powers she had in the silver age that came from the goddesses Selene (grace), Hippolyta (strength), Artemis (skill), Zephyrus (speed), Aurora (invulnerability), and Minerva (wisdom) instead of Billy's gods. So that's kinda cute.

Mary's version is her original one again but in a way that makes in universe sense rather than being arbitrary.

As far as it being too in the nose, I think it was fine. That is the sort of stuff someone fresh out of high school is sensitive about so to me it makes sense as a millennial who went to college just as social media was getting mainstream.

It's honestly a bit more subtle than the arc in Wonder Woman leading up to Lazarus Planet where Dr Psycho becomes an MRA Podcaster who also shills specially branded milk. There's even a scene with a bunch of red hatted hecklers that ends up going out of control

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 14, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Superboy: Man of Tomorrow's first 3 issues are mid

Yeah, that's kind of where I am on it. It's not outright bad but there's not much there unless you're very invested in this take on Conner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Also at one point they literally call her Mary Marvel? 'Cuz apparently they own that copyright :xd:

Billy and Mary technically both have their powers now though we haven't seen Mary do much in the new series yet.

Why wouldn't DC have Mary Marvel's copyrights? Literally everything that has ever included Mary Marvel was published by either Fawcett (who DC acquired) or DC themselves and none is 95 years old yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They probably mean the trademark but even that is pretty clearcut, Marvel never published anything with that name to try and grab it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just think it's funny they have to call Billy "Shazam" or "The Captain," but the character who was originally a female derivative of him gets her original name. Woke wins again! :boom:

TwoPair posted:

I thought Mary gave hers to Wonder Woman or some poo poo?
Oh wait yeah you're completely right. But Diana also doesn't have those powers anymore so like...apparently it was a non-fungible resource? But I think he could've also just given her those powers again except Hippolyta just beat him to it? I dunno. Trying to make any sense at all of who did what at what point in this event, and why they did those things, is beyond my meager means.

Oh and I actually hosed up the list a bit. Selene gives agility, Artemis gives stamina, and Zephyrus gives flight. 'Cuz the moon is very agile I guess. Seriously though, this part was kinda nice. The idea of she-Shazam having to use different, more "girly" power sources than Billy seems, on the surface, a bit like one of those cringey vestiges of old-timey comics and could have come across kinda cringey here, but it actually fit in really organically and felt empowering. I had literally never thought before about the fact that silver age Mary got her strength from Hippolyta, who is an actual main character in DC Comics, and the idea of Hippolyta taking the opportunity to power her up here is the literal only good thing to come out of this crossover.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's honestly a bit more subtle than the arc in Wonder Woman leading up to Lazarus Planet where Dr Psycho becomes an MRA Podcaster who also shills specially branded milk.

Defending the sanctity of milk is Golden Age-level subtlety

The story kicked off with Wonder Woman discovering starving children whose parents can't afford milk. Baroness and price manipulation are involved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I just think it's funny they have to call Billy "Shazam" or "The Captain," but the character who was originally a female derivative of him gets her original name. Woke wins again! :boom:
They don't have to! They can call him Captain Marvel all they want (and did for a long time!)! They can't sell a comic book or make a movie called "Captain Marvel" because Disney/Marvel holds the trademark to that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Doctor Psycho becoming an alt-right media personality in the vein of Jordan Peterson is just utterly too perfect and horrifying. This page just encapsulates so much of how they captured the current landscape of that side.

Here it is. Just all the subtlety of a freight train

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just a little while later, Tony The Tiger posing with a trans person stirred the endless culture war for another self-righteous cycle, so... freight trains imitate life?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Irl Nazis are known for being subtle

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I appreciate subtlety in my books where people wear underwear on the outside.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

I appreciate subtlety in my books where people wear underwear on the outside.

If a writer of funnybooks took a look around the world and decided the time for subtlety was past I could not find it in my heart to one hundred percent condemn them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dawgstar posted:

If a writer of funnybooks took a look around the world and decided the time for subtlety was past I could not find it in my heart to one hundred percent condemn them.

Subtlety died in 2016.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
This is the same company that has a character called Captain Nazi

radlum
May 13, 2013

Space Fish posted:

Just a little while later, Tony The Tiger posing with a trans person stirred the endless culture war for another self-righteous cycle, so... freight trains imitate life?

This; if I had read that page a week ago or whenever the bud lite thing started, I'd think it was bad, but now I thing that yeah, this is a thing that would happen in the comics, people are dumb and awful in real life, they can be like that in comics too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s really funny is when’s the last time you saw Deadpool.

He was everywhere and then just completely disappeared

I saw the Deadpool manga at Target yesterday

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Xelkelvos posted:

Here it is. Just all the subtlety of a freight train

Welcome to the alt right, they've never been subtle.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/totinotedesco/status/1670128701571313671?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Wonder Woman should always be on a kangaroo. When she isn’t, other characters should be asking “where’s the kangaroo?”

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like sure, that's a really goofy expression, but that's just how people look when they ride a kangaroo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am confused did batgirls just end today?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah no more Batgirls

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
drat. :smith: Have they announced a date for the last trade?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Bruno Redondo is a hell of an artist. This week’s Nightwing is great, in a string of greats.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Leo__Romero/status/1671247270837100548

BoP already looking good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well.

Okay.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
At least Cass lives on in BoP and Spirit World.

Also everyone should check out Spirit World.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not so sad about Batgirls now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if Tom King's plan was to instantly make Trinity unlikable and cringe inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I wonder if Tom King's plan was to instantly make Trinity unlikable and cringe inducing.

i think thats the first line in all of his rough drafts