Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

minute posted:

Yea, I figured it’s recovering successfully from the other mirror each time, since it reports no data errors.

It’s an Orico external enclosure into a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock to my MacBook Pro, so I guess there are lots of links in the chain I need to check.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I got kind of worried when I saw the devices with names like "USB30-blah". There are lots of layers of abstraction there for something like ZFS which would like direct access to your storage. "Lots of links in the chain" is bad from a system reliability standpoint.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hoping for some Synology help.
I just got a new DS423+ to replace my DS218+. They 218+ I have set up with docker and many apps blah.
I thought I could just do a back up of the config in update&restore, but when I put it into the ds423 the drives didn't come up with the migration wizard. I set up the same information and then did a restore from configuration.
it looks like it restored my users and a few things, but I thought it would pick up the previous information/installed apps etc?

Am I boned as for easy set up? Docker should be easy enough etc. But i'd rather a 30 min setup than a 5 hr :p

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Quick sanity check, I've never replaced a zfs disk before. I have 5 refurb HGST 10TB disks that I've gambled on, in raidz2. The first disk has started SMART errors and had scrub errors after 1 year. I'm still ok getting the disks at half price.

To replace a disk, is something like this the correct process?

#Shutdown
#Replace disk
#Start up
#determine old disk GUID
zpool status tank1
#find new disk path
ls -la /dev/disk/by-id
#replace old disk by GUID with new path /by-id/
sudo zpool replace tank1 $oldDiskGUID /dev/disk/by-id/$NEWDISK

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 15, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, that's it, and half of that is because I assume you don't have hot swap drive bays and/or an empty drive bay.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, that's it, and half of that is because I assume you don't have hot swap drive bays and/or an empty drive bay.

Exactly that. Thanks!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Down to my last 4TB Seagate (out of four ST4000DM000 originals) in my 6-disk zpool that was created back in 2015. Dead drive is currently squeaking, which we all know is an excellent portent of recovery.

The other two originals were WD WD40EZRX which are still chugging along with 0 SMART errors, while the last Seagate has ~100 reallocated sectors.

The prior two failures (2020ish) were replaced by more 2015-vintage Seagates I had bought at the same time.

Interesting to see that 4TB drives still pretty much cost the same as they did 8 years ago (replacing with a WD40EFPX, and picking up a spare for when that last Seagate dies)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 15, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

'tis the season, apparently.

code:
  pool: zpool
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub in progress since Thu Jun 15 22:24:25 2023
        2.44T scanned at 400M/s, 878G issued at 140M/s, 6.75T total
        31.9M repaired, 12.70% done, 12:13:53 to go
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zpool                                           ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/0e8e1943-170b-11eb-a076-001b215fd023  ONLINE       0     0   125  (repairing)
            gptid/0e916e36-170b-11eb-a076-001b215fd023  ONLINE       0     0   134  (repairing)
        cache
          gptid/ea08ad82-3551-11ed-af44-00e04c690289    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
(...)
Every file involved is replaceable, but bleh. Time to check the RAM, try another controller, and swap the cables; I have a sneaky suspicion it's not the drives.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Bought a pair of 18TB Toshiba N300 drives (HDWG51JUZSVA) as the £/TB was just too tempting, which I'll use to enter the world of ZFS. Four 8TB probably would faster but until I move beyond 1GBe I won't worry about that. I couldn't find good benchmarking of NAS-focused drives on the net, so here's the results from gnome-disks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Bought a pair of 18TB Toshiba N300 drives (HDWG51JUZSVA) as the £/TB was just too tempting, which I'll use to enter the world of ZFS. Four 8TB probably would faster but until I move beyond 1GBe I won't worry about that. I couldn't find good benchmarking of NAS-focused drives on the net, so here's the results from gnome-disks.

I recently had my first Toshiba disk die (well, start to die). It's a 3TB from 2013 and it's been in use for 2773 days!

Pretty good! I have older disks that are still going but I can't complain about this one, especially since it still turns on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

For years I kept ending up buying Toshiba X300 series hard drives as they always seem to be best price/TB, but these are my first N300. Honestly, it's never my internal drives that give me problems; it's the USB drives that seem to keep dying on me. In theory 18TB of usable space should keep me going for a while but by the time I use it to backup my windows PC (raw photos and some video), then consolidated the years of detritus spread around various Linux drives, it'll be half gone...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

that was created back in 2015.
Oh, also I found out today resilvering has my CPU (E3-1220 v3) pegged at 88C. I probably should reseat it with fresh paste after 8 years of operation...

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I would use a reputable disk from a major brand and call it a day. It's all linux under the hood. Don't use the write cache and it will never matter.

SSD read cache makes Apple Time Machine backups way faster. As does doing it over a wire instead of wifi.

Would you advice against using write cache? I have the same Synology model and is also considering adding those drives as cache

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Surprised how easily i managed to get my 2x18TB setup as network-shared ZFS; install FreeBSD inside KVM, pass through the sata controller as a PCIE device, run a single command to add the two drives as a mirrored vdev, install and setup samba. Still need to setup an NFS for better access on linux devices.

Is there a good open source file syncing program people recommend? There's a few directories (Documents, Music, etc) that I want to keep synced between the new ZFS storage and my windows machine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pablo Bluth posted:

Surprised how easily i managed to get my 2x18TB setup as network-shared ZFS; install FreeBSD inside KVM, pass through the sata controller as a PCIE device, run a single command to add the two drives as a mirrored vdev, install and setup samba. Still need to setup an NFS for better access on linux devices.

Is there a good open source file syncing program people recommend? There's a few directories (Documents, Music, etc) that I want to keep synced between the new ZFS storage and my windows machine.

syncthing for syncing

duplicati if you want incremental backups

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

The sharenfs property from zfsprops(7) should take care of things for you when it comes to file sharing via NFS.

Also, agreeing with e.pilot on syncthing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Unraid 6.12.0 with ZFS support has been released. Is there any reason I'd want to re-format an xfs or btrfs formatted NVMe SSD to zfs?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 18, 2023

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Is there a software solution that is similar to Plex/Emby/Jellyfin (scrapes media information) but doesn't stream or transcode, just lets me download? Ideally it'd set up a web server, scrape a media folder and then generate a website where people on my network can click and download. I'm doing a summer camp like setup with limited connectivity but a decent LAN and there's no way I can get hardware to support 50+ people all transcoding and streaming.

I've done some research, Kodi looks like it can scrape from web servers but you'd have to configure everyone's client individually to access the http address and then each Kodi site would scrape-- looking for the opposite. I know I could just do a directory index but that doesn't give anyone an idea of what a movie would be about etc..

Anyone know of a solution? Pretty niche I know. Thanks for any suggestions!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Corb3t posted:

Unraid 6.12.0 with ZFS support has been released. Is there any reason I'd want to re-format an xfs or btrfs formatted NVMe SSD to zfs?

Probably not for just a single drive. I think zfs is a lot more interesting if you’re dealing with pools of drives.

There is compressions and snapshots to gain but i think btrfs also has those?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
With Emby (and I assume jellyfin, but don't have it running atm to check), you can toggle a checkbox per user to disable media playback. They can still download files if that's enabled for them.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Corb3t posted:

SpaceInvader One put out a video on how to do this, and mentioned some things coming in upcoming videos.
-Making top level folders in a share their own dataset, so each of your containers in appdata can be snapshotted independently for easy rollback.
-Auto snapshotting and auto-replication from dataset to dataset

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ceros_X posted:

Is there a software solution that is similar to Plex/Emby/Jellyfin (scrapes media information) but doesn't stream or transcode, just lets me download? Ideally it'd set up a web server, scrape a media folder and then generate a website where people on my network can click and download. I'm doing a summer camp like setup with limited connectivity but a decent LAN and there's no way I can get hardware to support 50+ people all transcoding and streaming.

I've done some research, Kodi looks like it can scrape from web servers but you'd have to configure everyone's client individually to access the http address and then each Kodi site would scrape-- looking for the opposite. I know I could just do a directory index but that doesn't give anyone an idea of what a movie would be about etc..

Anyone know of a solution? Pretty niche I know. Thanks for any suggestions!

hasn’t been updated in a while, but air video hd will do this, minus the metadata scraping

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any current wisdom on HDD vendors / types for NAS in 2023? This would be for an unraid NAS for home media storage and some work project data but it would be a 2nd redundancy for those. I've always tried to just stick to WD drives but wanted to see if anything else was decent out there. I'm looking at a couple drives in the 8-10-12 tb range.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

THF13 posted:

With Emby (and I assume jellyfin, but don't have it running atm to check), you can toggle a checkbox per user to disable media playback. They can still download files if that's enabled for them.

Yep, for Jellyfin in users > profile there's a checkbox for allowing media playback. There's also a download checkbox further down the page.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

That Works posted:

Any current wisdom on HDD vendors / types for NAS in 2023? This would be for an unraid NAS for home media storage and some work project data but it would be a 2nd redundancy for those. I've always tried to just stick to WD drives but wanted to see if anything else was decent out there. I'm looking at a couple drives in the 8-10-12 tb range.
Honestly I looked at the Backblaze stats and couldn't help but feel the differences were in the noise, especially as a consumer with only a handful of drives. So I just went for good $/TB and made sure it was cmr.

Ifgalra
Jun 19, 2023

ooouuuhh what the !!

Corb3t posted:

I'm setting the minor version over/under at 3.5, this time around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My truenas setup has two sets of disks in the main pool. "raidz1-0" is 1TB SSD's and "raidz1-1" is 500gb SSD's, I have a bunch more 1TB SSD's now and I can probably replace the 500GB vdev with 1TB disks and get the same or more capacity with less disks.

Is there a way to do this without just blowing the whole pool away, recreating it with the new disks and restoring a backup to it? Can I do an in-place upgrade? See below for config

code:
root@truenas[~]# zpool status
  pool: SSD Pool
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        SSD Pool                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/60067486-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/60088fdf-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da11p2                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/6006e637-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe3d749-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe75fa3-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fc32848-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/602a2292-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/6007789f-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe46b13-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe532c0-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe62066-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe570d1-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/60080272-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe4f3dd-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: boot-pool
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:09 with 0 errors on Fri Jun 16 03:45:09 2023
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool   ONLINE       0     0     0
          ada0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

New to zfs so I might be wrong:

If it's the same number of disks — I think you can replace & rebuild one disk at a time, then once all the disks are at the larger capacity, have it expand to the larger size.

For a different number of disks - I believe there is a newish (circa 2021) ability to increase the disks in raidz but nothing to reduce the number. Thus it is required to build fresh. If you have enough slots to run all the new and old disks at the same time, you could build the new pool then do zfs replication to move the data.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That Works posted:

I ordered some WD Red CMR drives directly from WD because I have seen how Amazon packs their boxes. The box I got from WD was amazing: foam surrounding the boxes for the HDDs, and the HDDs themselves in foam within their boxes. I have also seen that they don't give you the full warranty if you don't order directly from them, but I don't know too much about that.

E: I was having a bunch of trouble with my TrueNAS Scale install getting apps to see the storage I have already because of how it handles Apps accessing mounted data. The Truecharts discord helped a bit but it was a combo of that and banging my head against the wall that got me working. Permissions man, permissions.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 19, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, Pablo Bluth has it mostly right.

With raidz1 you can replace one drive per vdev at a time, and raidz2 allows two drives per vdev at a time, and with raidz3 you can replace three disks per vdev at a time.

If you've got a hotplug-capable SAS chassis, you can do it using zpool-offline(8) and zpool-replace(8).
If they're just SATA disks not connected to a backplane with capasitors to soak up the in-rush current, I'd recommend shutting down the machine before pulling out and replacing the disk physically.

ZFS raidz expansion hasn't yet been added to OpenZFS, and according to the second-to-last OpenZFS leadership meeting in April, it still needs more code review and testing in order to land.
I think the FreeBSD Foundation is looking to hire someone to do that work as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

ZFS raidz expansion hasn't yet been added to OpenZFS, and according to the second-to-last OpenZFS leadership meeting in April, it still needs more code review and testing in order to land.
I think the FreeBSD Foundation is looking to hire someone to do that work as well.

This has taken loving forever, but I'm glad progress is being made :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KKKLIP ART posted:

I ordered some WD Red CMR drives directly from WD because I have seen how Amazon packs their boxes. The box I got from WD was amazing: foam surrounding the boxes for the HDDs, and the HDDs themselves in foam within their boxes. I have also seen that they don't give you the full warranty if you don't order directly from them, but I don't know too much about that.

E: I was having a bunch of trouble with my TrueNAS Scale install getting apps to see the storage I have already because of how it handles Apps accessing mounted data. The Truecharts discord helped a bit but it was a combo of that and banging my head against the wall that got me working. Permissions man, permissions.

I ended up ordering a couple WD Red Pro 10tb CMR drives as well. Thanks to you and others for the input.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

KKKLIP ART posted:

:words:

I had similar issues and ended up just copping out. Everything on the NAS is permed to my personal user from top to bottom. I circumvent the safety of permissions and just mash in uid 1000 for everything so that poo poo works right.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not sure which thread was best for this, apologies if it's too offtopic.

I'm running an Unraid server for media files of little consequence, and using it also as secondary physical backup for some work-related files (DNA sequencing stuff, big files). I have those files cloud stored and also on a primary physical, so this server is not exactly the most mission critical thing.

Anyway, I am learning as I go and trying to work more on security with it. Should I be setting it up to use https (instead of http) to connect to the server on my local network? Are there any issues / consequences for doing so?

For remote access I have tailscale running on an opnsense router already so I don't need to tunnel to the nas or put it on a public domain etc. The server is not visible outside the LAN etc.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I for sure don't think this is the right place for this, but is there a spot where we can talk naming conventions for files? I want to go through my NAS and rename files (pictures, ebooks, movies, etc) in a way that makes sense instead of it being an absolute hot mess. Is there either a thread or a resource that y'all have used to help come up with a naming convention?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Use lots of directories and err on the side of verbosity? Documents/Books/Non-Fiction/Hartley, J.R./Fly Fishing by J.R. Hartley.epub should be findable down the road.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KKKLIP ART posted:

I for sure don't think this is the right place for this, but is there a spot where we can talk naming conventions for files? I want to go through my NAS and rename files (pictures, ebooks, movies, etc) in a way that makes sense instead of it being an absolute hot mess. Is there either a thread or a resource that y'all have used to help come up with a naming convention?

I think it's trashguides that recommends having your *arrs rename directories to include IMDb/tvdb references to help Plex in the event of a library rebuild. I'm not sure if there is a similar best practice for books and music, but to be safe all my Tidal rips use their unique identifiers in the album directory names too, though if your id3 tagging is on point that's probably redundant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Always 'Surname, Firstname' when cataloguing. 'Firstname Surname' is for heatens...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're using ZFS or something else like it, I'll definitely recommend using filesystems over directories, for the simple reason that it's a lot easier to ensure things are backed up, and also makes it easier to readjust your collection.

Also, look into flexget; it can handle all sorts of fun things that let you have complete control over your collection of what I'm sure are FreeBSD ISOs.
EDIT: You can even set it up so that you just place either a link in a file or a metadata (torrent, nzb, or something else), and it'll do everything for you via the rather extensive plugin system.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I personally chose to align with one of Plex, Emby, Jellyfin or Kodi for naming conventions. It makes media metadata scraping easier and it was close to what I had already anyway.