Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought the fandub was good
I mean if someone told me I can umineko on the train like an audio book, Im not gonna say no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

fez_machine posted:

It's frustrating because the whole point of doing a VN was that it would be cheap and simple enough that they wouldn't have to do all their usual mechanical bullshit and just let you explore the setting and the characters.

Nope, there's weird counter intuitive mechanics and a time limit!~

edit: Like they knew their reputation and still did it!

I think they were going for Inkle style branching narrative. The game reminds of 80 Days a little. However I’m guessing that the stories won’t be vastly different like that game could be, so while there might be a lot of merit in replaying and uncovering new narratives, it would also be frustrating due to repetition, and the inability to skip over already read text.

I do think the writing so far though is really strong and compels me to keep going.

I liked the demo of Harmony but the writing didn’t engage me as much.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

I liked the demo of Harmony but the writing didn’t engage me as much.

The writing isn't as good (it gets better after the portion showcased in the demo) but the storytelling is better I feel.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait umineko gold wasn't even gonna be done by professional vas?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Wait umineko gold wasn't even gonna be done by professional vas?

nah, according to their announcements they had a professional voice cast lined up. i dont know why that person just assumed it was a fandub

im not exactly bummed that it fell through but it probably would have been Fine

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

dmboogie posted:

i think they're talking about a video of the, like, actual stageplay opening with the song and choreography and everything but it seems to have been completely nuked off the internet

which is a shame because it is insanely cool

Oh I mean I did a new copy of that video more recently too. It's still like, an in-progress thing, but...

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 9, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dubbing the entire game honestly seems like an insane undertaking and I doubt they realized what they were committing to when they launched the project.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

ファンダブの品質もほぼ全般的にひどいものです。 (「良い」ファンダブの例を投稿する言い訳としてこれを使用しないでください。私は気にしません、そしてそれらはおそらくせいぜいせいぜい受け入れられる程度でしょう)。

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Dubbing the entire game honestly seems like an insane undertaking and I doubt they realized what they were committing to when they launched the project.

Yeah especially considering Umineko is like 1.15 million words. That's longer than the all main 7 harry potter books combined. Its one thing to make an audio book quality reading of it. Its another to actually make an attempted high quality dub.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Literally just talk Into a mic, easy.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1667170766255714305?s=46

Gonna probably hold off then till the update. This would fix the main issue I have with it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’ve been playing through the Zero Escape games again and just started Zero Time Dilemma. Oof. I forgot how bad the voice direction is in that game. Like, I understand it’s probably more difficult with all the scenes fully animated vs VLR but drat.

Also, the memory fragment system just makes it super difficult to follow the actual timeline, though that might have been the point. That said, I only played through it the one time after playing through 999 and VLR multiple times each, and don’t recall too much about the twists or the puzzles. So

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I'm still glad I finally played ZTD but yeah.... really doesn't live up to the rest.

Also I'm still angry about the "twist" requiring the game actively lying to the player instead of it being a surprise to the protagonist too

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve been playing through the Zero Escape games again and just started Zero Time Dilemma. Oof. I forgot how bad the voice direction is in that game. Like, I understand it’s probably more difficult with all the scenes fully animated vs VLR but drat.

Also, the memory fragment system just makes it super difficult to follow the actual timeline, though that might have been the point. That said, I only played through it the one time after playing through 999 and VLR multiple times each, and don’t recall too much about the twists or the puzzles. So

Zero Time Dillema is definitely a downgrade from the first two games in my opinion.

The puzzles aren't as good, there is a lot of repeats, and the game has the annoying tendency to give you the solution after 5 seconds. I also miss the alternate solution mechanic from the 2nd game. I thought that was neat way to add more depth to the gameplay.

While I did enjoy the story, it fails to follow up on story elements from the second game. The secret ending you get from solving all the alt puzzles in the second game is straight up just non-canon. I also feel like one of the characters Junpei acts really out of character to support the execution voting mechanic. Its also weird that Clover doesn't show up in this one since she was such an important character for the first two games. I did really enjoy the scene where characters discuss how Marty McFly is a murderer. That felt like a classic nonary game scene.

The character design is a lot more low-key for this game too, and the sometimes really low quality animation doesn't help.

Some of the issues can be blamed on budget issues. The game almost didn't get made because of that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The plot twist is the funniest thing ever put to paper. The sheer gall of it combined with the execution is absolutely beautiful

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

To be fair, the shadows can be seen a lot throughout the game, and there are other things foreshadowing it as well. I would link to a reddit thread compiling things, but its private right now due to reddit melting down over the api being taken down.

That being said, its still not a great twist, and the game also has many other issues. I'm not as harsh on the game as others are though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I feel there was a character overload since Uchikoshi wrote himself into requiring five of the nine slots to be recurring characters. I would’ve loved him to pull a reverse Tenmyouji and have an old lady in the game that turns out to be Clover but after spending 40 years with old Akane and Dr Klim figuring out how to physically jump back in time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

At least both AI games have been the Uchikoshi redemption arc.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm glad ZTD exists so we can put the zero escape games to rest and never worry about another bad sequel again.

CottonWolf posted:

:emptyquote:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
The big twist in AI 2 is dumber than the big twist ZTD.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
when they introduced the phrase MIND HACK at the end I could not stop laughing

just absolutely making GBS threads in my face for finishing this series huh thanks uchikoshi

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The big twist in AI 2 is dumber than the big twist ZTD.

Not true

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

MegaZeroX posted:

To be fair, the shadows can be seen a lot throughout the game, and there are other things foreshadowing it as well. I would link to a reddit thread compiling things, but its private right now due to reddit melting down over the api being taken down.

That being said, its still not a great twist, and the game also has many other issues. I'm not as harsh on the game as others are though.

There's a big list on the TVTropes page as well. But that's not the issue. It's not that there weren't any clues, it's the problem of the player no longer inhabiting a protagonist. We're not seeing through anyone's eyes, we're not watching an in-universe broadcast, we're just seeing what's happening. Supposedly. The player doesn't know about Q only because the game footage is carefully chosen by the developers to conceal it, for no actual in-story reason other than to give us some sort of "Surprise!" The other big reveals were big reveals to the protagonist as well, and caused massive rethinks of the setting and characters and stories. This one is no reveal to the in-game characters at all and therefore changes nothing to them. It feels pointless, especially in a series where the manipulation of perspective had played such a big role earlier. The reveal makes me want to think "Who tricked us and why?" and the answer is... the game, just because. There's no story to it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't say I wasn't vaguely disappointed by ZTD, but by the time it was announced I'd made peace with never getting ZE3 so its faults as a sequel are w/e and it's a really weird and funny game so I can't be mad about it even if it's not "good".

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 12, 2023

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Uchikoshi exchanged crazy plot twists for stronger character writing. A welcome shift for me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

gegi posted:

There's a big list on the TVTropes page as well. But that's not the issue. It's not that there weren't any clues, it's the problem of the player no longer inhabiting a protagonist. We're not seeing through anyone's eyes, we're not watching an in-universe broadcast, we're just seeing what's happening. Supposedly. The player doesn't know about Q only because the game footage is carefully chosen by the developers to conceal it, for no actual in-story reason other than to give us some sort of "Surprise!" The other big reveals were big reveals to the protagonist as well, and caused massive rethinks of the setting and characters and stories. This one is no reveal to the in-game characters at all and therefore changes nothing to them. It feels pointless, especially in a series where the manipulation of perspective had played such a big role earlier. The reveal makes me want to think "Who tricked us and why?" and the answer is... the game, just because. There's no story to it.
This is why I think the AI 2 twist is less bad (although not perfect). Ryuki's brain is actually messed up in a way that's screwing with his memories, so his scenario has narrative justification for the way it's presented. There isn't any such justification for Miyuki's side though, that part's just a trick. For the twist to work it would've been better to either be Ryuki in both timelines or maybe do something with Aibo getting her memories scrambled between the two events.

Although I think the other issue with the AI 2 twist is that the impact it has on Ryuki is offscreen and therefore minimized, making it still feel pointless even if it does have some justification.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Zero Time Dillema is definitely a downgrade from the first two games in my opinion.

The puzzles aren't as good, there is a lot of repeats, and the game has the annoying tendency to give you the solution after 5 seconds. I also miss the alternate solution mechanic from the 2nd game. I thought that was neat way to add more depth to the gameplay.

While I did enjoy the story, it fails to follow up on story elements from the second game. The secret ending you get from solving all the alt puzzles in the second game is straight up just non-canon. I also feel like one of the characters Junpei acts really out of character to support the execution voting mechanic. Its also weird that Clover doesn't show up in this one since she was such an important character for the first two games. I did really enjoy the scene where characters discuss how Marty McFly is a murderer. That felt like a classic nonary game scene.

The character design is a lot more low-key for this game too, and the sometimes really low quality animation doesn't help.

Some of the issues can be blamed on budget issues. The game almost didn't get made because of that.

wait…alt puzzles? Non-canon ending? I feel like I got those at some point but it’s been *so* long

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait…alt puzzles? Non-canon ending? I feel like I got those at some point but it’s been *so* long

Its this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQaEB87DKE (Major spoilers obviously). Every escape room has a hard mode and an easy mode puzzle, and you unlock the epilogue by solving all the hard mode versions of the puzzles.

Venerealmelon
May 27, 2023

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well it has been dubbed before just not in English. It would've been nice to see them release chapter 1. Umineko doesn't really have the wide audience at the moment that the few vns that do get dubbed like Danganronpa have.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Venerealmelon posted:

Well it has been dubbed before just not in English. It would've been nice to see them release chapter 1. Umineko doesn't really have the wide audience at the moment that the few vns that do get dubbed like Danganronpa have.

i mean at the end of the day umineko is niche because it’s a pure visual novel with ten million words and danganronpa is an adventure game where you get to shoot bullets and play hangman; i don’t think the dub would make much of a difference

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Danganronpa is mostly not voiced right? It's trials and some other scenes that get voice treatment. I could see some interest in voicing just the epic parts in umineko (wizard battles, naked battler, rosa goats, dlanor in general, erika in general) but more than that sounds insane.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

While I did enjoy the story, it fails to follow up on story elements from the second game. The secret ending you get from solving all the alt puzzles in the second game is straight up just non-canon.

This killed me. The whole Kyle isn't really Kyle in the epilogue and is possessed by the ??? stand-in for the player was really something I was looking forward to seeing fleshed out.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I also feel like one of the characters Junpei acts really out of character to support the execution voting mechanic.

This I disagree with, though. I thought the lovely, pessimistic Junpei of ZTD was a perfect precursor to old man Tenmyouji from VLR. You can see the same kind of "gently caress you" attitude in both, but 40 years post-apocalypse and raising an orphan did a lot to mellow him out and see what's really important. Though, IIRC, the Junpei and Akane we see from ZTD are heavily implied to not be the same ones from VLR (even comparing the VLR true end cloaked Akane vs. ZTD Akane), so there are obviously going to be changes.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I did really enjoy the scene where characters discuss how Marty McFly is a murderer. That felt like a classic nonary game scene.

This line and what someone else said above that ZTD isn't using a character perspective are probably the best explanations for me on why ZTD is so off putting. The point in the first two games is you're unraveling all these mysteries along side the MC. You don't get that with the teams split up in ZTD. And, more importantly, it isn't even a loving Nonary Game. You don't get the complex web of personal interactions. It's just Saw which isn't an inherently interesting concept.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 12, 2023

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Honestly, my biggest problem with ZTD is that it felt too dark/gritty compared to Uchikoshi's normal. It felt like since he knew the series was far more popular in the west, he tried to pander to what he thought would be more popular with Western fans, but didn't realize a big part of the reason we love the games is because of the goofiness.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

This killed me. The whole Kyle isn't really Kyle in the epilogue and is possessed by the ??? stand-in for the player was really something I was looking forward to seeing fleshed out.

This I disagree with, though. I thought the lovely, pessimistic Junpei of ZTD was a perfect precursor to old man Tenmyouji from VLR. You can see the same kind of "gently caress you" attitude in both, but 40 years post-apocalypse and raising an orphan did a lot to mellow him out and see what's really important. Though, IIRC, the Junpei and Akane we see from ZTD are heavily implied to not be the same ones from VLR (even comparing the VLR true end cloaked Akane vs. ZTD Akane), so there are obviously going to be changes.

This line and what someone else said above that ZTD isn't using a character perspective are probably the best explanations for me on why ZTD is so off putting. The point in the first two games is you're unraveling all these mysteries along side the MC. You don't get that with the teams split up in ZTD. And, more importantly, it isn't even a loving Nonary Game. You don't get the complex web of personal interactions. It's just Saw which isn't an inherently interesting concept.

Junpei being lovely and pessimistic is fine. Actively advocating for the murder of people and acting like a psychopath in general is different though. Especially since its been just over a year since the events of 999.

Also, the the Marty McFly stuff feels like the characters discussing the various conspiracy theories in the first game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hahah. I just got to the point in ZTD that’s literally Do you press the giant button with a “WARNING: DO NOT PRESS!” flashing all around it?. I forgot that decision point, and it almost single-handedly redeems the game.

It’s like most Uchikoshi thing ever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So if I want to finally get around to reading the higurashi vns and I already own em on steam, how much do I need to mod? How much of the music and or character art is still screwed up?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

So if I want to finally get around to reading the higurashi vns and I already own em on steam, how much do I need to mod? How much of the music and or character art is still screwed up?

Just use 07th mod. I played the first half without it, and thought it was fine, but adding the voices was definitely a step up at least. And eventually you might want to read the console arcs too, which are only available through them.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
That's probably the best way to do it, but if you aren't put off by the original art you could just use the standard steam release with no modding, the music changes aren't too bad imo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Use 07th-mod if:
-You really want voices
-You don't want to deal with the Ryukishi07 sprites as the mod is the lesser of the two evils with the Alchemist PS3 sprites vs. the new Steam ones (this is especially true for Umineko)

I don't fully remember the music changes but all things being equal yeah the fixes to the Answer arc (chapters 5-8) tracks are probably worthwhile if you're running the mod, otherwise I wouldn't seek it out just for that alone. Any changes to the music in the Question arcs is going to be lateral because those tracks are pretty forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thanks for the hot info's yall

I just remember the very first manga gamer release changed literally all the music which is kind of strange because I thought the question arcs were already using royalty free tracks, lol

And then there are some who swear by the MG soundtrack. It's all a bit confusing you know? I guess this is the problem with different versions of higurashi having been ported to every game console known to man