Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

disappointed that doom eternal did not reveal that the doom guys name is in fact John Stalvern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I came up with an evil inverse Gordon Freeman named "Greedon Forman" and now I can't get him out of my head

Does he call Breen a "dumbass" before trying to blow up the Citadel :v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Angry_Ed posted:

there should be a robocop survival horror videogame where you play as clarence boddicker and robocop is your like Mr X or Nemesis from resident evil. you have to scrounge guns and do crimes while evading this immortal robocop until you can disable him with environmental poo poo like a big magnet

theres a dedicated button you press to say 'bitches leave'

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Speaking of which I'm looking forward to the RoboCop game from the terminator resistance devs

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

Speaking of which I'm looking forward to the RoboCop game from the terminator resistance devs

Same. Terminator Resistance was really good except for the crafting and picking up junk parts.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

juggalo baby coffin posted:

there should be a robocop survival horror videogame where you play as clarence boddicker and robocop is your like Mr X or Nemesis from resident evil. you have to scrounge guns and do crimes while evading this immortal robocop until you can disable him with environmental poo poo like a big magnet

theres a dedicated button you press to say 'bitches leave'

there should be more verhoeven video games, and also more John carpenter video games, every single one of their films would be a great FPS given like two minutes thought

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Angry_Ed posted:

I was three quarters of the way through this before I remembered I was supposed to be riffing on Half-Life and not Doom

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

there should be more verhoeven video games, and also more John carpenter video games, every single one of their films would be a great FPS given like two minutes thought

There was a game of The Thing like 10-15 years ago and it wasn't very memorable. Maybe they'd be more able to do the concept justice today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anyone who doesn't want to shoot a super BFG into Mars

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Thing game was stupid as you could run a blood test on a team mate to make sure they were normal, then take two steps past a hard coded level trigger and they would instantly exploded into a tentacle monster.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
We really need a Starship Troopers game that's based more on the book rather than the movies, closest we ever got(at least that I played) were the two Section 8 games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vakal posted:

The Thing game was stupid as you could run a blood test on a team mate to make sure they were normal, then take two steps past a hard coded level trigger and they would instantly exploded into a tentacle monster.

funnily, there's a supercut of jerma playing the 'the thing' game out there on youtube and it very much ends up with him finding out that the gameplay of not knowing who could be a monster is barely existent entirely because sometimes the game just forces transformations anyways and you're better off just testing yourself constantly to provide morale to teammates and not waste it on them since the game will just make them mutate sometimes anyways.

could have theoretically been a cool idea, but it's very much not realized

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was a game of The Thing like 10-15 years ago and it wasn't very memorable. Maybe they'd be more able to do the concept justice today.

I hate to say it, but I think Among Us has inadvertently filled the niche of a The Thing style video game.

Vakal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUi3tbYyQ8&t=367s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

We really need a Starship Troopers game that's based more on the book rather than the movies, closest we ever got(at least that I played) were the two Section 8 games

Sending my dad to his death because I outrank him because life is a bitch but the federation is forever

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Max Wilco posted:

I hate to say it, but I think Among Us has inadvertently filled the niche of a The Thing style video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUi3tbYyQ8&t=367s

Disappointed this wasn't a jerma video

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drrockso20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37C551zfw24

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have finished slayers X and i'm here to say

THE S BLADE HAS A HACKBLOOD CHARGE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Meant something a bit more modern in make

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Finally got around to the System Shock remake and it's everything I wanted and hoped for, though I've now moved my wants and hopes to a patch that adds a hotkey for vaporising inventory items. It's not my fault if I obsessively pick up every bedpan and skull on the station.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

drrockso20 posted:

I mean, that's just any of the WH40k space marine games when they let you live the first person power fantasy. The book was really light on combat and more a soapbox for Heinlein to shout about how he's right about everything, there's maybe one combat sequence with the dropship in&out in a 600 page novel. So yea, 40k took that directly and unabashedly, just go play one of their games. If we want to be picky, maybe we'd find one where they ask you to complete the mission under a timer?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Serephina posted:

I mean, that's just any of the WH40k space marine games when they let you live the first person power fantasy. The book was really light on combat and more a soapbox for Heinlein to shout about how he's right about everything, there's maybe one combat sequence with the dropship in&out in a 600 page novel. So yea, 40k took that directly and unabashedly, just go play one of their games. If we want to be picky, maybe we'd find one where they ask you to complete the mission under a timer?

Eh the 40k games go in a different direction than what I'm picturing, for one thing Mobile Infantry are well as the name implies a lot more mobile than Space Marines, not to mention a completely different aesthetic and tone, so you're attempt at making recommendations was a complete miss, also gently caress you for the smarmy response

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was three quarters of the way through this before I remembered I was supposed to be riffing on Half-Life and not Doom

lol

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/halflife_txt/status/1650257437360889857

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The 7th Guest posted:

i have finished slayers X and i'm here to say

THE S BLADE HAS A HACKBLOOD CHARGE

Have a good time? Reducing the amount of times Zane says that was something on my list that I never got around to but I'm kind of happy I didn't since it became a bit of a meme. Still might adjust the frequency a LITTLE.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Strike Force Centauri owns, and I honestly want to see it get the NDS remake treatment more than SS2 because SS2 is a lot more accessible out of the box these days.

The closest thing we have to a descendant of it is Tribes Vengeance, which isn't that close.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Strike Force Centauri owns, and I honestly want to see it get the NDS remake treatment more than SS2 because SS2 is a lot more accessible out of the box these days.

The closest thing we have to a descendant of it is Tribes Vengeance, which isn't that close.

Ironically, the Tribes games actually work really well as games where you play something akin to Heinlein's mobile infantry.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
One of my favorite things on this whole wide world is when I stumble across the inspiration that musicians from my favorite games clearly had while composing.

For instance there are clearly two songs from the OG System Shock that are heavily inspired by Head Like a Hole by NiN (Reactor) and Mammagamma by Alan Parsons Project (Research). I was listening to some Gary Numan and sure as poo poo it feels like The Illuminati, the ending theme from Deus Ex, is clearly a mixture of Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine and Dominion Day by Gary Numan.

Listen:

Deus Ex ending theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8e8FRTi4ho

Dominion Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RyjiWTIis

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

Have a good time? Reducing the amount of times Zane says that was something on my list that I never got around to but I'm kind of happy I didn't since it became a bit of a meme. Still might adjust the frequency a LITTLE.
have another slightly different read of the line and then make it a 5% chance of triggering

and yea I had a good time, I'm impressed at how much y'all committed to the 12-year-old sensibility of "my neighborhood" level design while keeping it competent and a clear progression (for the most part!) and i'll always appreciate a state fair level

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 19, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Ironically, the Tribes games actually work really well as games where you play something akin to Heinlein's mobile infantry.

Night dive should do a tribes 1 and 2 remaster

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The problem with remastering multiplayer games is that they need an audience for it to be possible to actually play them. I don't think there's much of an audience for Tribes anymore.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Also you can still play Tribes 1 and 2 perfectly fine. There are free, preconfigured installers and everything. You just have to join an organized game or find the time when a public lobby fills up since like 200 people play them total.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shame about Tribes Ascend because I had a lot of fun at launch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

The problem with remastering multiplayer games is that they need an audience for it to be possible to actually play them. I don't think there's much of an audience for Tribes anymore.

same but shadowman, powerslave, blade runner adventure game, forsaken

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Guillermus posted:

Shame about Tribes Ascend because I had a lot of fun at launch

Same, I sank quite a bit of time into Tribes: Ascend and MechWarrior: Online back in the day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

They're single player games, though. No maintenance required.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

Those can be played true to how they were originally with one player, for casual play of multiplayer games to work you need a lot of people wanting to play the game at the same time. Or bots, but that isn't really the same.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

anilEhilated posted:

They're single player games, though. No maintenance required.

why would a nd release not just have it set to the master servers that already exist

SCheeseman posted:

Those can be played true to how they were originally with one player, for casual play of multiplayer games to work you need a lot of people wanting to play the game at the same time. Or bots, but that isn't really the same.

i mean, isn't it a bit wonky to say there's no demand for games that currently have no official legal way to purchase. isn't that half the motive for the nd re-releases in the first place

site fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 19, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess it wouldn't hurt to spiff up the client a bit, but the proper way to handle that is to open source it and let the community take care of it.

site posted:

i mean, isn't it a bit wonky to say there's no demand for games that currently have no official legal way to purchase. isn't that half the motive for the nd re-releases in the first place

Anyone who wants to play Tribes can play it, hell you've been able to do that since the 90s since their copy protection was so weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

why would a nd release not just have it set to the master servers that already exist
Wouldn't work for cross-platform play/no compatibility with old clients once they do their usual changes.

Also, you know, trying to compete with decade-old free legal releases is kind of a folly even before considering that retro-style arena FPSes get basically zero players outside of friendly matches organized on Discord channels.

And that's without taking into account that the Night Dive remasters team is already working on, like, three or four games simultaneously. Dance card's a bit full as it is!