Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TM:PE allows you to do that, so even if the base game abstracts out parking a bit I'm sure it'll be modded in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
You could see the Cities in Motion influence in Skylines, so it’s likely going to be similar with Skylines 2.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I look forward to CS2.

I also know I'll play for like 2 weeks and stop for a month cause my city will suck horribly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I look forward to CS2 because hopefully it will mean development on CS1 will finally cease and I can play with a stable modlist after all these years

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Thats promising! I just want a game where if you want to go all out with low density residential and highways, you're going to need enough parking at both ends. You can't have that charming 3 story walkup with minimal setbacks because there needs to be room for parking. You can't have that nice office building, there isn't enough parking. You're stuck with strip malls, office parks, and suburban housing with multi-car garages. Even your apartments need huge parking lagoons around them. That 2x2 apartment needs a 3x2 parking lot attached to it or it just won't show up. If you want more space efficient buildings that don't require so much of their lot dedicated to parking, you gotta build good transit and good walkability.

I'd be surprised if it actually makes you recreate Houston just because having a realistic number of parked cars for the population would probably make the engine die.

It's hard to judge how it'll really work from the promotional material since the trailer appeared to be using a probably not fully functional dev build. I don't think there's any local traffic visible at any point in the trailer and the tram line they showed had zero passengers. Just delivery trucks, out of city traffic along the highway and pedestrians.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I slept on this video for a while because I thought the thumbnail and title were deceiving, but no this person **actually did build the featured city in the trailer using the WIP version of CS2**

I’m so used to misleading clickbait that I thought maybe it was some technicality and he didn’t actually play it. Worth a listen!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

buglord posted:

I slept on this video for a while because I thought the thumbnail and title were deceiving, but no this person **actually did build the featured city in the trailer using the WIP version of CS2**

I’m so used to misleading clickbait that I thought maybe it was some technicality and he didn’t actually play it. Worth a listen!

$2.20 is frickin' awesome, if not quite the peer of ambition that citywokcitywall was with Mars.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope they uprate all those nicely done assets they've done in various packs like the stadiums or the train stations and get 'em in there. Most of them are well-detailed, they could probably tweak them up to the new quality pretty easily (especially if they modelled with higher-quality textures and downsampled during optimisation), and it'd be good to have as variety.

Otherwise I'll miss the Metro Plaza station.

Gamerofthegame posted:

city skylines the first ran on unity, and given it game out a little shy of ten years ago, early unity.

other games that came out on the same year that use unity; kerbal space program

it's relative, ofc it'll be cleaner.

CS2 is Unity as well, but Unity's come a fair way since 2015 (and I believe since they had to customise it a decent amount they were never able to upgrade the version over time past the early version of Unity 5 they were developing on)

Going through this: I didn't notice this on my first watch of the trailer but yeah, zones extend six squares out from the road instead of four and are a bit more dense, so while it's all still based on the zone grid there's more flexibility. But from what he says you'll also often want to more often truncate that a little and build grids with less than the maximum space so you can have denser buildings. Neat.

He said he's gonna do a few more videos on New Dollarton, that'll be good to look forward to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 14, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/ColossalOrder/status/1668921302311219205

woops

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wonder if that math on the reddit post is right. "Epic new scale" maps actually being smaller than CS1 would be both disappointing and hilarious.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Wonder if that math on the reddit post is right. "Epic new scale" maps actually being smaller than CS1 would be both disappointing and hilarious.

The math is right but their "expected map limit" is bizarre. Their assumption is that, because the CS1 map border is two tiles wide, then the CS2 map border will be two CS2 miles wide. I guess they think that the map border is two tiles wide, as opposed to zero or three, for some technical reason, and that CS2 will need to adhere to those rules as well.

In reality I'm pretty sure that the map border is as large as it is for aesthetic and immersion reasons. Things like keeping the edge of the map away from the camera and letting them make the distance fog wider and more gradual without encroaching on the playable area.

I don't know why CS2 would be any different, so if its unplayable area is the same width as the CS1 map then it'd be six tiles wide.

To use their own chart, it'd probably look like this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Look underneath the road icons:

Utility piping runs underneath roads.

Also, a look at the tool mode window.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
good

now get rid of utility piping altogether because it serves no purpose

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I really hope that it’s just being propagated by the road instead of being modeled as well. It would save a lot of resources.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I imagine it'll be the same as CS, either you have enough capacity or you don't. SimCity 2013 is the only one that was stupid enough to have agents representing individual packets of water and poo poo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lt_sE16yZk

Roads will automatically connect with water and sewage!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also the accompanying DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/development-diary-1-road-tools.1590300/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I just came to post that! That exit lane thing they did at the end caught my eye in particular. I can't wait to get my hands on this and try it out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quote:

Walkable areas in the city can be created using the pedestrian street along with the pedestrian path and bridges. The pedestrian street prohibits all other vehicular traffic except for service vehicles and delivery trucks bringing resources to local businesses.

quote:

Vehicles have to park somewhere when citizens aren’t driving them, and in Cities: Skylines II this is handled through designated parking lots and parking structures. In addition to traditional roadside parking, you are able to provide the citizens with parking lots and parking facilities. When citizens plan their way around the city, their decision-making is affected by the availability of parking in a manner similar to public transport options.

Citizens have different preferences regarding time management, comfort levels, and usage of money; some want to find a parking spot as close as possible regardless of the cost, while others are willing to spend more time walking from a faraway but affordable parking spot or public transport stop. The Roads Infoview shows the availability of parking in the city as well as its usage level, allowing you to make decisions based on the information. Maybe your city needs more parking lots, or perhaps additional public transport options are in order.

good

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That looks promising.
Elevated highways going on top of another road!
Roundabout maker!!
(non-highway) Roads spread water, electricity and sewage lines!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Automatic cut-and-fill for sunken highways!

It's more edit-based for variations: you don't select a road with trees, you draw out a regular road and then add or remove trees or grass or bus lanes or tram tracks or sound barriers or wide pavements. (Doesn't look like bikes will be in vanilla)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 19, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quote:

Other expanded road-building options include the Road Maintenance Depot, which sends out vehicles to keep roads in good condition, fighting wear and tear and decreasing the chances of traffic accidents. During winter, snowplows are deployed to keep the roads clear of snow.

Road conditions also affect the chance of traffic accidents occurring, which halt traffic and cause gridlocks until they are secured and cleared. Road Maintenance takes care of these traffic accident aftermaths, clearing out the debris and allowing traffic to continue safely after the police have secured the site of the accident.

wtf

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, that's nice, they've confirmed you can add/remove traffic lights and stop signs, if collisions are in that'll mean you'll have to balance how much you can send through a less controlled intersection.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can't cut back on road maintenance. You will regret this.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

good

now get rid of utility piping altogether because it serves no purpose

I want them to go all-in on the utility piping mechanic. I want to spend most of my time playing in the underground view.

I want to lay some pipe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MikeJF posted:

(Doesn't look like bikes will be in vanilla)

Gotta have something to sell that first DLC with

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

They said on Twitter few days ago that CS2 won't have bikes at launch.

Edit: upgradeable roads, addition of roundabouts, multi-level roads... it all sounds nice

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 19, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
was listening to a youtube Q&A by the guy who built the trailer city. He's still under NDA, but when asked about tile size / map size he mentioned that tiles were significantly smaller and that he "felt" that map was bigger but couldn't confirm. This sounds to me like that actual map size won't be that much bigger than CSI, you'll just have access to all the tiles instead of being limited.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I'll listen to that tomorrow, but for everyone else it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8m9cFhqEk

follow-up to the video posted the other day

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Traffic accidents eh. That sounds neat but could go horribly wrong if the agent system is anything like the first game.

I want less of a traffic focus, not more.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Count Roland posted:

Traffic accidents eh. That sounds neat but could go horribly wrong if the agent system is anything like the first game.

hopefully can just toggle it off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

These motherfuckers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Never ever gonna get that from Colossal Order. Skylines is mostly window dressing for a traffic sim.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Making bus lanes/tram lanes/bike lanes in a DLC/decorations layers you can add to any road is good. Removing on-street parking is good. If pocket cars are actually gone and sims are taking parking into account you should be able to force transit usage by making it simply impossible to park downtown or wherever.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Keeping the deathcare mechanic is a weird decision. I didn't care for the 'literally all your early cims died and the neighbours survivors are complaining about the stink' thing at all

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Once again, day one, one of the most popular mods is going to be a super crematorium that processes corpses at the speed of light and has a city-wide radius.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can't imagine they wouldn't allow you to toggle car accidents off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never ever gonna get that from Colossal Order. Skylines is mostly window dressing for a traffic sim.

Well, SimTower was window dressing for an elevator sim. There's always one mechanic that's core.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just so desperately want a city builder that models the challenging vicious cycles cities can get into. You've started a new city and you're just kinda winging it and building what the bars and your citizens complain about. You build a little grid of streets and zone some stuff up like one does in a city building game. Buildings pop in, cars start driving around, all the usual stuff. You have a charming main street and since your city is only a few blocks wide in each direction a lot of people actually just walk to the shops and jobs. You build an industrial area a couple km away and the single 2-lane road is fine for the truck and worker traffic leading there. But as you expand you notice something, your streets are getting kinda jammed up and your residents are demanding more and more parking. Since your commercial core is still in the same place, but your residential areas have sprawled out, almost everyone has to drive to get to shops and office jobs. You started to have some medium density office but the offices keep complaining "not enough parking for our staff!". You end up actually demolishing a bunch of productive buildings downtown to add in more parking. But you have to, otherwise how will workers arrive? This keeps getting worse and worse, and your budget seems really tight as well. All these roads have expensive upkeep, and all this parking is unproductive land not generating taxes. Your once charming and productive downtown starts to look like this:

Meanwhile you go on the forums and see people posting these amazing high density cities that look really cool. You figure out that trying to build enough parking for every single trip to be car based is a fools errand. That the "transport preferences" screen can be influenced and you can ignore that 89% of people prefer car and raise a fuss if there isn't enough parking near everywhere they want to go. If you build a really good transit system and make it the most convenient travel method, those citizen preferences will shift if you can weather the short term backlash. You soon learn the best way to "solve congestion" is by controlling the amount of parking, you can't clog up the roads if you can't actually drive to the destination and park. So long as you provide attractive and efficient alternatives they will use them (carrots) but forcing them onto those alternatives by making the car-based trip impossible or very annoying (sticks) you can end up with a very low modeshare of drivers. This in term saves you a fortune on road upkeep and space dedicated to cars in your city which you can dedicate to more productive and profitable uses.

My problem with skylines wasn't that it was a traffic sim, but that it was a BAD traffic sim that doesn't model the most important factors around why these car trips are being generated and what effect attempting to cater to driving demand effects cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Well, SimTower was window dressing for an elevator sim. There's always one mechanic that's core.

Right exactly. And saying you want less traffic sim in Skylines is exactly like saying you like SimTower but you hope SimTower 2 has less focus on elevators.

I mean, I agree with the guy that said that. I'm not really the target audience for Skylines either, because traffic puzzles aren't the core mechanic I'm looking for in a city sim. It's just vain to expect Skylines to be anything else.