Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

I guess it wouldn't hurt to spiff up the client a bit, but the proper way to handle that is to open source it and let the community take care of it.

Anyone who wants to play Tribes can play it, hell you've been able to do that since the 90s since their copy protection was so weak.

you can say that about literally any game nd has released. their most popular releases are loving doom and quake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

you can say that about literally any game nd has released. their most popular releases are loving doom and quake

None of what they've released is multiplayer only, you can play and fully enjoy the majority of what they offer even if every other human on earth was dead.

Who wins from Nightdive packaging up Tribes and selling it? I can't imagine they could throw much money at it, at best patching it to the state fans already have. I don't see how it would serve the community that exists to pay up for it.

It should be open source and free, it's the only way to keep games like it alive long term.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 19, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: Nevermind, had a brainfart.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

None of what they've released is multiplayer only, you can play and fully enjoy the majority of what they offer even if every other human on earth was dead.

i guess that means it can never be done

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

i guess that means it can never be done

I don't know why you'd want it to be, I'm unsure whose interest it would serve.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ROTT Remaster Demo is out!

Probably some other Retro FPS demo stuff cresting in a sec, too, since Next Fest is starting.

Maybe. I haven't been paying too much attention as of late.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
every tribes game (and earthsiege/starsiege iirc) was released for free by the publisher like a decade ago so i odnt think it matters that there's "no legal way to buy them"
https://playt1.com/
https://www.playt2.com/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't help but feel like people are being somewhat disingenuous when saying "it exists you can play it right now" as if nd ports are just like barely functional dosbox units instead of games being re-engineered to use the kex engine for better menus, new rendering engines with more graphics options and higher res assets, controller support, etc that you can easily get on a platform everybody has installed. no poo poo you can play it right now if you know where to look that's not the point, the point is to give it the nd treatment

did you guys hear there are source ports for doom online that you can play for a quarter if you buy doom on steam? how does a nd port serve the community??

site fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 19, 2023

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

One of my favorite things on this whole wide world is when I stumble across the inspiration that musicians from my favorite games clearly had while composing.

For instance there are clearly two songs from the OG System Shock that are heavily inspired by Head Like a Hole by NiN (Reactor) and Mammagamma by Alan Parsons Project (Research). I was listening to some Gary Numan and sure as poo poo it feels like The Illuminati, the ending theme from Deus Ex, is clearly a mixture of Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine and Dominion Day by Gary Numan.

Listen:

Deus Ex ending theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8e8FRTi4ho

Dominion Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RyjiWTIis

It's funny just how many classic video game composers ended up just lifting bits and pieces from contemporary music without anyone noticing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tribes was cool, it offered something nothing else offered at the time; an open world action-heavy multiplayer arena environment (not so novel anymore). I played it a bit at LAN parties back in the day, using a pirated copy like everyone else did.

But bringing it back is way more complicated than you seem to think it is? Make it network compatible with the original client and they're stuck with all the bugs and exploits that the old client has, break away from it and they'd split the already extremely small userbase. Cheating in particular would inevitably become a problem given a new burst of popularity, so that becomes an ongoing burden for the developers less they accept the average user experience is joining a game and getting repeatedly instakilled by an aimbot. Who wouldn't just refund at that point?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 19, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gaspy Conana posted:

Have a good time? Reducing the amount of times Zane says that was something on my list that I never got around to but I'm kind of happy I didn't since it became a bit of a meme. Still might adjust the frequency a LITTLE.

DO NOT REDUCE IT

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

Tribes was cool, it offered something nothing else offered at the time; an open world action-heavy multiplayer arena environment. I played it a bit at LAN parties back in the day, using a pirated copy like everyone else did.

But bringing it back is way more complicated than you seem to think it is? Make it network compatible with the original client and they're stuck with all the bugs and exploits that the old client has, break away from it and they'd split the already extremely small userbase. Cheating in particular would inevitably become a problem given a new burst of popularity, so that becomes an ongoing burden for the developers less they accept the average user experience is joining a game and getting repeatedly instakilled by an aimbot. Who wouldn't just refund at that point?

You're just gonna spend all day throwing poo poo at the wall until you find something that sticks huh

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

At least they're actual varied reasons instead "it'd be real cool guys! wouldn't it be cool? Oh gee, so cool it would be!" over and over again.

You haven't been refuting anything, everything I've said has "stuck".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh i see that must be why you have to keep changing your reasons after i point out the extremely obvious cases of nd already having done the things you say that they wouldn't do. this is like watching rogan stans tripping over themselves this weekend because of that doctor guy. i get it my 10 word wishpost got you mad i'm exiting now

site fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 19, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://opencritic.com/game/15097/trepang2/reviews

When is this out? in two days?

Honestly I haven't following it at all. I only know of it that vaguely tries to have FEAR like combat. That's it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's a lot of reasons why it wouldn't work. I'm not changing reasons, just adding more to the pile.

Nighdive has never released a multiplayer-only title. They've remastered games that have multiplayer components, but they are typically treated as a value-add rather than the main package. Even Quake which was arguably multiplayer-focused at the time of it's release, as ND's treatment has largely been to enhance the single player experience with Quakeworld (and it's derivatives) remaining the best way to play it online due to the better netcode.

site posted:

oh i see that must be why you have to keep changing your reasons after i point out the extremely obvious cases of nd already having done the things you say that they wouldn't do. this is like watching rogan stans tripping over themselves this weekend because of that doctor guy. i get it my 10 word wishpost got you mad i'm exiting now

I'm mad? lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

Meltdown June

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I dont see what nightdive slapping a $20 pricetag on a multiplayer only game and putting it on Steam will do for it. It sure didn't work for Quake Live. Heck as far as Steam itself helping, the latest Tribes-like was free to play on there and died out in less than a month.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

this is like watching rogan stans tripping over themselves this weekend because of that doctor guy.
"People politely pointing out this idea might not work out is literally like COVID denial" is... a new one on me, I'll admit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was thinking drat I wish someone did this with Tribes while playing System Shock last night.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gaspy Conana posted:

Have a good time? Reducing the amount of times Zane says that was something on my list that I never got around to but I'm kind of happy I didn't since it became a bit of a meme. Still might adjust the frequency a LITTLE.

Please don't adjust it, it's one of those things that started delightful, became annoying and then turned the corner into hilarious over the course of the game and it absolutely feels like something Zane would leave in.

And honestly, the game was an absolute delight from start to finish. The writing is outstanding and I loved all the insights into Zane's life, and the action is satisfying with enough weapon and monster variety to keep things interesting. I want more, but I can't complain about what's here.

The only issue I had was occasionally having trouble figuring out where to go, with the worst example being in the third stage. I had walked right past Mevin's office, so when I found the key I had no idea where to use it and I spent forever wandering around. It's the downside of having such open levels (which I otherwise love). It feels like a few of the locked doors could use a little more signposting to make them a bit more memorable for when you get their key fifteen minutes later at the other end of the stage.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DoomMarine23/status/1670863360118620169?s=20

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Kins posted:

"People politely pointing out this idea might not work out is literally like COVID denial" is... a new one on me, I'll admit.

p sure that's classic goon behavior

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SCheeseman posted:

I guess it wouldn't hurt to spiff up the client a bit, but the proper way to handle that is to open source it and let the community take care of it.

Anyone who wants to play Tribes can play it, hell you've been able to do that since the 90s since their copy protection was so weak.

The devs once said that at its peak, there were more people playing tribes 1 than there were copies of it sold.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SCheeseman posted:

The problem with remastering multiplayer games is that they need an audience for it to be possible to actually play them. I don't think there's much of an audience for Tribes anymore.

Honestly if they included a halfway competent bot system I imagine most people would be fine

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly if they included a halfway competent bot system I imagine most people would be fine

Or revive that cancelled single player campaign they were making for it, finish the game so to speak, which could make it more marketable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

That's a pretty big if, that's the trick. Several classes, weapons, gadgets, vehicles for the AI to learn to use effectively, never mind things like team coordination.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

That's a pretty big if, that's the trick. Several classes, weapons, gadgets, vehicles for the AI to learn to use effectively, never mind things like team coordination.

That's why I love UT99 and UT2k4 so much. Bots are really competent. Hell, you can even play mods like Alien Swarm on UT2k4 decently with bots.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Just played the demo maps of the ROTT remaster (except the Extreme ROTT map because gently caress that episode). The new map was really cool and a lot better than any of the original maps, but it is absolutely not loving around, got owned a few times by Triad Enforcers. It would be cool if this remaster got a 320x200 video option because all the status bar options seem to be 4:3 and scaled to 320x200.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

site posted:

why would a nd release not just have it set to the master servers that already exist

Because we wouldn't be allowed to. We can't have multiplayer games on consoles connect to unmoderated servers and download unmoderated content. Tribes basically only lives on the modding and surf maps, from the looks of things, so a new port wouldn't have much of anything to offer if a console port just offered an entirely sperate userbase with less stuff.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Speaking of System Shock Remake, I'm somewhat confused and a little disappointed that the game provides no real feedback for blowing up the mining laser other than your HUD telling you you blew up the laser and SHODAN delivering her villain monologue about how this doesn't stop her plans at all. Was expecting at least some video like in the original. Unless there is supposed to be a video clip and I just encountered a bug.

There's a screen on the wall right above the button showing a feed from one of Citadel's ancillary satellites that shows you the laser firing and exploding when you push the button. It's in greenscale, though.

IMO this is one of the places where the remake is a clear step backwards, in SS1 it was a full-colour V-Mail that took over your entire HUD.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was thinking drat I wish someone did this with Tribes while playing System Shock last night.

I mean, same, but what I really want to recapture is the experience of logging in every night to play Tribes 2 on Houston Vehicles ca. 2002-2003, and (a) that's more of a community problem than a technical one and I doubt the interest is really there (c.f. Tribes Ascend) and (b) it's not like I have the blocks of contiguous free time needed to play multiplayer games on the regular these days anyways. Which is why what I really want to see get that treatment is Terra Nova, it's singleplayer Tribes before Tribes existed (and, IIRC, was one of the major inspirations for T1).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 20, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I finished Ion Fury last night. Very good game, but I feel like you have to save-scum on the final boss, because in the last third, when you get knocked off by the shockwave, you land in a pit of enemies who just obliterate you. I don't know if you're supposed to take them all out before you attack the boss, because it seemed like they spawn infinitely.

You get some pretty good weapons. The Bowling Bombs work nice for intercepting enemies around corners, the crossbow has a lot of power behind it, the SMG has the fire damage attached to it, and once you learn to use the lock-on with the magnum, it works well for taking out flying enemies. The two weapons I didn't really use a whole lot were the chaingun and the mines, but it seemed like you had to be careful they didn't get detonated while you were in range, or by enemy fire.

If there's something that I don't really care for, it's that the game is littered with a lot of the spider-bots, and they're very annoying because they'll take out ten hit points with a single attack, and they're a bit tankier than they should be (the SMG takes them out in a single burst, but it seems like the magnum should one-shot them as well).

EDIT: Another thing I found odd was the 100% tracking. You get a notice about how many secrets are left when leaving an area (and I used a secrets guide to find everything), but you don't get any feedback on the number of enemies left, so I don't know how you're supposed to tell if you've cleared the map out.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 20, 2023

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Rocket Pan posted:

Because we wouldn't be allowed to. We can't have multiplayer games on consoles connect to unmoderated servers and download unmoderated content. Tribes basically only lives on the modding and surf maps, from the looks of things, so a new port wouldn't have much of anything to offer if a console port just offered an entirely sperate userbase with less stuff.

Why do you have to consider business implications of all this when I just really, really want you to do this for me?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a screen on the wall right above the button showing a feed from one of Citadel's ancillary satellites that shows you the laser firing and exploding when you push the button. It's in greenscale, though.

IMO this is one of the places where the remake is a clear step backwards, in SS1 it was a full-colour V-Mail that took over your entire HUD.

I mean, same, but what I really want to recapture is the experience of logging in every night to play Tribes 2 on Houston Vehicles ca. 2002-2003, and (a) that's more of a community problem than a technical one and I doubt the interest is really there (c.f. Tribes Ascend) and (b) it's not like I have the blocks of contiguous free time needed to play multiplayer games on the regular these days anyways. Which is why what I really want to see get that treatment is Terra Nova, it's singleplayer Tribes before Tribes existed (and, IIRC, was one of the major inspirations for T1).

tribes ascend had a great community until the devs said 'we arent working on this any more because we like SMITE better' which killed interest in it. prior to that the playerbase had been hurt by weird p2w type poo poo they kept changing around with different weird systems

i really miss playing tribes, nothing else really hits the spot the same way

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not super familiar with rise of the triad, I'm trying the ludicrous edition demo, but I hope the guys in shooting are Nazi knock offs or something because shooting the guy begging for his life made me feel a little bad

I couldn't tell you why it's so funny to me but the little whistle sound the back button makes in the menu make me laugh when I hear it

E: Just saw some lady combat roll herself into getting gibbed by a moving pillar lol

site fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 20, 2023

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

site posted:

I'm not super familiar with rise of the triad, I'm trying the ludicrous edition demo, but I hope the guys in shooting are Nazi knock offs or something because shooting the guy begging for his life made me feel a little bad

I couldn't tell you why it's so funny to me but the little whistle sound the back button makes in the menu make me laugh when I hear it

E: Just saw some lady combat roll herself into getting gibbed by a moving pillar lol
It's been years since I played ROTT but IIRC if you don't shoot the guys who beg you, they get back up when your back is turned and Judas-shoot you

See also: the lizard grunts from Duke 3D

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Then I will show no mercy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

site posted:

I hope the guys in shooting are Nazi knock offs or something

The game started development as a sequel to Wolfenstein 3D.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
late to the party but I set aside some time between my actual Warhammer painting sessions to finish up Boltgun, I don't have too much to add beyond what has already been said in this very thread and in Civvie's video but a couple highlights I want to hit

-I think the Tzeentch enemies (the blue guys) are just overall better designed, outside of the specific example of the Lord of Change and its Archvile imitation, than the Nurgle enemies and the encounters that use them are overall more interesting and fun to play. Nurglings with their ability to lead their shots en masse and Plague toads with their everything are just such an unfun combination of enemies compared to the duck and weave of trying to get inbetween the arcing and curving Tzeentch projectiles.

-I absolutely love the "glitched" texture thing they have going on for Chaos corruption and its probably the closest you can get irl to matching the the queasiness and disorientation that in-universe characters describe when looking at Chaos manifestations

-Game really runs out of tricks right after it introduces the Great Unclean One (an enemy that feels very underutilized btw) and just sort of keeps going well past the point that it really should have stopped. I think you could have cut 5-6 levels out of Episode 2 and 3 and gotten the game down to a more appropriate length as opposed to it overstaying its welcome like it does now.

-gently caress Aspiring Champions and their stupid glitched (I hope) attack animation

Overall I really enjoyed it though and echo many other people's thoughts about wanting to see what the next game this studio works on looks like now that they've got this very excellent freshman effort out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AnEdgelord posted:

-I absolutely love the "glitched" texture thing they have going on for Chaos corruption and its probably the closest you can get irl to matching the the queasiness and disorientation that in-universe characters describe when looking at Chaos manifestations

Agreed, it's definitely a pretty cool effect