Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

VitalSigns posted:

Ah so Union Armies didn't invade the Confederacy since it was never internationally recognized, they just got into some scuffles during a stroll to Richmond and it took them longer than they thought to have that picnic at Appomattox

This is fun because Korea was in a similar situation so:
  • Nobody invaded anybody in June 1950, there were just some Koreans from Korea going to Korea
  • In September the UN launched an unprovoked invasion of Korea, landing at Incheon. While they claimed it was North Korea that had committed the illegal invasion this is logically impossible because how can Koreans invade Korea lol.
  • UN forces quickly reached the 38th parallel and crossed it but this was unremarkable since they were already in Korea and simply going from Korea to Korea
  • The Chinese military was able to stop the UN invaders from reaching the Yalu River and drove them back to the 38th parallel but were unable to eject them from the country so Korea is still partially occupied by invading forces.

Makes perfect sense
After unironically regurgitating 60 year old US propaganda, you attempt to "ironically" repeat what you imagine to be Korean propaganda. Cool. And\or ironic.

The idea that there are other words that you can use for attacking \ re-annexing \ having a war within a single country is just... willfully lost?

The term invasion is generally used to refer to external forces. It's why you're unlikely to find the term used when describing the US civil war except by extreme lost cause enthusiasts, and why the Vietnamese (and, circling back to whatever point the initial cartoon \ post ever had, the Russians) refer to the Japanese \ French \ American \ Chinese invasion, not the invasion of the totally real state of South Vietnam by the savage foreigners of North Vietnam (though I guess the term is still being used by Americans who are convinced that the war with Vietnam was justified and winnable)?

Why am I required to explain these extremely obvious points? What are you even trying to say?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

the sex ghost posted:

Mad how quick the dial shifts, like 12 months ago I cant imagine you being able to draw a cartoon that was just outright the character saying 'pride month is bad and queer people should keep quiet about it'

I feel like Goodwyn would be the exception to the rule even if there weren't so much effort in reverting queer rights. We could be living in Ishida's rainbow strawman-hellscape and Al would be one of the ones being sent to hell for being a bigoted piece of poo poo trying to protect the children's dangly bits.

By popular demand posted:

And it's not like if it was called the Gay Acknowledgement and Acceptance Month those awful chuds would be any nicer.

Where's our Straight Acknowledgement and Acceptance Month, huh!? When I do I start getting recognition for all of my suffering and the discrimination I definitely totally face for real? :cry:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Post poste posted:

Never happened. Yes, they were wrote it did, no it did not

Jebus. Two millenia, and they're still, "Oh, we're so persecuted!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randalor posted:

When did you get a career working for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's propaganda history department?

It was either that or become a political cartoonist

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xander77 posted:

After unironically regurgitating 60 year old US propaganda, you attempt to "ironically" repeat what you imagine to be Korean propaganda. Cool. And\or ironic.

The idea that there are other words that you can use for attacking \ re-annexing \ having a war within a single country is just... willfully lost?

The term invasion is generally used to refer to external forces. It's why you're unlikely to find the term used when describing the US civil war except by extreme lost cause enthusiasts, and why the Vietnamese (and, circling back to whatever point the initial cartoon \ post ever had, the Russians) refer to the Japanese \ French \ American \ Chinese invasion, not the invasion of the totally real state of South Vietnam by the savage foreigners of North Vietnam (though I guess the term is still being used by Americans who are convinced that the war with Vietnam was justified and winnable)?

Why am I required to explain these extremely obvious points? What are you even trying to say?

Ok so you knew what the OP meant, you just want to quibble about whether they were invading forces or attacking forces because... you think "invading" makes the North Vietnamese sound like the bad guys? Nobody said "savage foreigner" except you.

Idk I'm not a lost causer and I have no problem saying the Union Armies invaded Virginia because that's what they did and it was also very cool.
https://www.eisenhowerlibrary.gov/research/online-documents/world-war-ii-d-day-invasion-normandy
The Eisenhower library calls D-Day the invasion of Normandy is this because they're Third Reich propagandists trying to make Eisenhower into a bad guy, or could it be because an invasion just refers to military units entering territory controlled by another military and isn't necessarily a judgment on which side is right.

Do we really need to um actually it should be the Attack On Normandy?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i am sorry i did not consider the entire geopolitical history of the entirety of vietnam and the full legal semantics of each word i used when making an offhand shitpost about Cartoon Bad

in vietnam some people did a fight with some other people who did a fight and when russia looks at the fighting that was fought it probably has different feelings than america has due to them both liking different sides of the fighty fighting

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on how the Covid inquiry is exposing Tory ministers’ failings – From growing health inequalities to a lack of planning, the UK’s unreadiness for a pandemic is being laid bare" Johnson, Cameron, Osborne, Sunak; I think Oliver Dowden?, Hancock, Hunt.

Telegraph:

"The RA Summer Exhibition is back – with the usual no-hopers and dearth of ideas"

Times:

Rishi Sunak will miss vote to condemn Boris Johnson over partygate report; Jan 2022: Boris Johnson held lockdown birthday party at No 10; today's his birthday.

Evening Standard:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

quote:

This whole "the gays are all over media, it's being shoved down our throats, every show has at least a trans on it now" talking point is exhausting. Like it's blatantly not true, to the point where you'd think it's an attempt at gaslighting, but then the people saying it legitimately have an apocalypse-is-nigh meltdown if two dudes are shown walking down the aisle for like 2 seconds in a suit outlet commercial, so you're never quite sure how to react.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

This whole "the gays are all over media, it's being shoved down our throats, every show has at least a trans on it now" talking point is exhausting. Like it's blatantly not true, to the point where you'd think it's an attempt at gaslighting, but then the people saying it legitimately have an apocalypse-is-nigh meltdown if two dudes are shown walking down the aisle for like 2 seconds in a suit outlet commercial, so you're never quite sure how to react.

As well lol at the idea that Christians aren't putting their religion on TV every all year long, they broadcast services every week and have their own network where you can send in your worthless secular government issued currency and get vital rapture preparation supplies in exchange

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

These are the same people who will throw a shitfit if you say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas" and protest Starbucks for their holiday cups "not being Christmas-y enough".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love when this comes up, when Christians point out that pride is a sin. But that's really just a quirk of the English language that "pride" means two different things. The sin of pride, or more accurately called hubris, is the opposite of the virtue of humility. The pride that Pride Month celebrates is the opposite of shame. Very important distinction.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I love when this comes up, when Christians point out that pride is a sin. But that's really just a quirk of the English language that "pride" means two different things. The sin of pride, or more accurately called hubris, is the opposite of the virtue of humility. The pride that Pride Month celebrates is the opposite of shame. Very important distinction.

They know, if you told them not to be proud of their country they'd call you a terrorist.

They think LGBT people should be ashamed of who they are, that's why they hate gay pride. Whenever some assholes get together for a straight pride rally these Christians loving love it.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Oh yeah! I got used to Thomas being the biggest monster on the court I totally forgot about the former holder of the title.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

As well lol at the idea that Christians aren't putting their religion on TV every all year long, they broadcast services every week and have their own network where you can send in your worthless secular government issued currency and get vital rapture preparation supplies in exchange

The thing is, the fundies think that the way the system is supposed to work is thus: OUR stuff is the norm, it only makes sense to be everywhere because it is what is actually true and correct. Anything else is what we merely tolerate, we do not accept it as valid or real but we make a big show about how tolerant we are for letting it have any token amount of viewership. In their minds, they are graciously sharing THEIR space with the heathens who keep wanting more.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the_steve posted:

It'll be the same thing for Hillary. She'll have faked her death because Trump was totes about to LOCK HER UP and now she can run the Deep State in peace.

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT)

"Sheesh, I could appreciate some HUMILITY for a change! "

*votes for Trump in three consecutive elections*

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

"Teenagers at play".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

Same with 'respect' meaning either 'as an authority' or 'as a human being', so like "why should we respect LGBT when they won't respect the nuclear family/Bible/traditional way of life?"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Guavanaut posted:

Same with 'respect' meaning either 'as an authority' or 'as a human being', so like "why should we respect LGBT when they won't respect the nuclear family/Bible/traditional way of life?"

My favorite is when outright Christofascist, OT law-advocating fundamentalists make the argument that they're the most pro-liberty and pro-freedom people out there. You just need to accept this completely-different definition of what "liberty" and "freedom" mean, and then it ALL makes sense.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I had a different version of this with a friend, when he was playing Outer Worlds and noticed how 50% of enemy NPCs appeared to be female. This somehow bothered him, but he couldn't quite put his finger on why. For context: he was talking about about the kind of NPC mooks that wear armor and otherwise just exist to be shot at, there's no further interaction with them, their gender or presentation does not matter at all and the only way he could tell was by slight differences in body frame and voice. But the fact that he was suddenly exposed to more women than he was used to was enough to throw him off.

Eventually the only real response I managed to get out of him was some mumbling about how "it really shows you how things have changed, I guess" and that was that.

Just the fact of having to see a historically marginalized group be slightly more represented and included is apparently enough to throw some people off, enough of a disruption of the status quo that it makes them uncomfortable, even if they can't fully articulate why.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

Trump’s death will be the most insufferable event imaginable. The man could go on stage and announce he has Stage 4 cancer with a pallet of medical documents backing him up, and we’ll still have multiple conspiracy theories about how Obama poisoned him or Biden had the FBI bathe him in radiation or #TrumpIsNotDead hashtags polluting social media.
Yeah there's no possible way Trump could die that won't lead to a billion conspiracy theories. I agree this applies somewhat to Hillary too, but mostly because as we've seen from cartoonists, they'll never let her go as their boogeyman.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Clerical Terrors posted:

I had a different version of this with a friend, when he was playing Outer Worlds and noticed how 50% of enemy NPCs appeared to be female. This somehow bothered him, but he couldn't quite put his finger on why. For context: he was talking about about the kind of NPC mooks that wear armor and otherwise just exist to be shot at, there's no further interaction with them, their gender or presentation does not matter at all and the only way he could tell was by slight differences in body frame and voice. But the fact that he was suddenly exposed to more women than he was used to was enough to throw him off.

Eventually the only real response I managed to get out of him was some mumbling about how "it really shows you how things have changed, I guess" and that was that.

Just the fact of having to see a historically marginalized group be slightly more represented and included is apparently enough to throw some people off, enough of a disruption of the status quo that it makes them uncomfortable, even if they can't fully articulate why.

To be fair, that gets a bit murky when you consider that that's a group of people that the player murders in droves. Taking that extra step to make them less faceless and more "human" as it were, can be a bit jarring. I doubt he would have been similarly jarred by having roughly 50% of friendly NPCs that you interact with be women.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

That's what the original post was referring to yes.

I suppose you could have a philosophical debate about whether North and South Vietnam were legitimate states or not and therefore whether North Vietnamese soldiers entering the Republic of Vietnam were invading anything or not, but that wasn't the point. The op's point was how bad of an analogy the cartoonist was making.

I'm also not sure you would win that semantic debate. Did Union armies not invade the Confederacy because both sides were Americans and can't invade themselves? Did South Korea not get invaded since both sides were Korean? Is the DMZ a waste of money since it's logically impossible for North or South Korea to invade the other? Did the Berlin Wall not do anything since Germans fleeing from Germany to Germany couldn't be causing problems for Germany?

Please try not to stray too far from what the cartoon's about.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah there's no possible way Trump could die that won't lead to a billion conspiracy theories.

it's ~the future~, ten minutes after he keels over there will be hundreds of deepfake videos of trump loudly proclaiming "i was killed by the deep state pizzagaters for getting too close to the truth" and it's not going to stop until the sun goes nova

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah there's no possible way Trump could die that won't lead to a billion conspiracy theories. I agree this applies somewhat to Hillary too, but mostly because as we've seen from cartoonists, they'll never let her go as their boogeyman.

See also Ted Kennedy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Craig K posted:

it's ~the future~, ten minutes after he keels over there will be hundreds of deepfake videos of trump loudly proclaiming "i was killed by the deep state pizzagaters for getting too close to the truth" and it's not going to stop until the sun goes nova

Not gonna lie, if I were Trump, I would 100% have a video released immediately after my death that went to the tune of "If you're seeing this, I have been murdered..."
Because for starters, I'm Donald Trump in this hypothetical and this guarantees that people WILL keep talking about and paying attention to me for decades to come, but also because assuming any of my posting enemies were still alive, it's a supremely petty way to get one last dig at them from beyond the grave and odds are pretty good that it will ruin at least one person's career/life.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

My favorite is when outright Christofascist, OT law-advocating fundamentalists make the argument that they're the most pro-liberty and pro-freedom people out there. You just need to accept this completely-different definition of what "liberty" and "freedom" mean, and then it ALL makes sense.

The absolute best one of those was from a number of years back where it's the cishet christian woman talking about how completely submitting to her husband in all matters was actually the most counterculture, liberating and equal rights punk rock thing a woman could do in this day and age.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2023

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

i mean the whole point of the transgender panic was to allow them to try and reopen the gay rights debate and get a second stab at denying them rights.

Yeah and LGBTQ people were sounding the alarm about it but a lot of poo poo rear end libs were like “well let’s see if they have a point about trans people in sports!” opening us up for this bullshit and telling us we we’re being melodramatic and hurting our cause when we said the laws being in acted in Florida are a pogrom against trans people that’d move on to the rest of queer people as soon as possible. Now those same Libs are going “oh woah this seems bad how could this happen!” as if they weren’t the first ones to buckle and let the right run with attacking trans people as a wedge to go after the LGBTQ community as a whole again

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Mutual distrust by Cai Meng

Le Monde

by Sanaga from France

Charlie Hebdo

"One day this will be all yours my son."
On the housing crisis.

Tiktok the application that makes your high school diploma into toilet paper."

A more inclusive re-shuffling
"And non-gendered."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

the_steve posted:

The absolute best one of those was from a number of years back where it's the cishet christian woman talking about how completely submitting to her husband in all matters was actually the most counterculture, liberating and equal rights punk rock thing a woman could do in this day and age.

"Take that, me!"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

The bill for the referendum on the Voice to Parliament has passed so it now Officially On.

Pope:

Left to right: Greens-now-independent senator Lidia Thorpe, One Nation founder and senator Pauline Hanson, Liberal senator and former attorney-general Michaelia Cash, and Nationals leader David Littleproud. As part of the referendum process there will be a pamphlet with arguments for both the yes and no cases and due to a quirk in the rules only those who voted against having the referendum can write the no case.

Wilcox:

Spooner:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

the_steve posted:

A perrennial favorite:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

idonotlikepeas posted:

A perrennial favorite:

Look at the smug-as-poo poo look on the dude's face. "Works for me!"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nearly 100 words to say "same but I want to pretend it's different', smh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

still loling at "full joan of arc"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Fister Roboto posted:

still loling at "full joan of arc"

Isn't that just failing in love with Abraham Lincoln then rebounding with JFK?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We're partners and I have an equal say whenever my husband lets me of course.

Because I'm a cool rebel who tells society to stuff it when they say "hey you can think for yourself", gently caress your authority I obey my man and you can't stop me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

And I'm pretty sure it's all
"Obviously we're equal, it's just that he's more equal than I am." - a woman
- a man

Like, if that's honestly what works for you and makes you happy, then ok, you do you. But yeah, a guy trying to paint it as some :krad: counterculture movement for the ladies just seems like it should set off a red flag or two for most readers.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If someone on the far-right were to severely, intentionally misinterpret the "submit to your husbands" thing in a kinky way and be very public about it, I wonder how crazy it would have to get before the other far-right Evangelicals would be like "tone it down a notch would you".

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Lol at conservatives trying to spin the oldest of status quos that were in place for thousands of years as counterculture. There's nothing inherently cool or good about being counter to some cultural expectation unless said expectations sucks rear end. Like it would technically be counterculture eat raw chicken unlike what the ESTABLISHMENT tells you, but the only culture that's going to win in that scenario is salmonella

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

skeleton warrior posted:

Nearly 100 words to say "same but I want to pretend it's different', smh

This is the thing that always strikes me about it. The dialogue in the cartoons literally means the same thing, just said by different people in a different dialect.

Jeff Danziger

Pedro X. Molina

Mike Thompson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is the thing that always strikes me about it. The dialogue in the cartoons literally means the same thing, just said by different people in a different dialect.

Yeah, it's the tone. The main takeaway is "Everything the trailer trash husband says is technically correct, but you're supposed to let your wife think that she's people, so just rephrase it to sound more palatable."