Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

What's a good thing to sell for rupees? I want to make sure I don't sell something I might need later for armor upgrades or a sidequest. That plot of land I bought left me almost broke.

Brightbloom seeds are perfect for this, I have never needed more than 150 for even the longest single dive into the depths before going back topside, and that was from the Central Mine to the Desert Coliseum.

You can also get away with selling most everything above a certain amount, too. If you've got closw to 100 of a monster part you can get from red enemies, you're good. Sell the rest. If you're above 50 on stuff you only get from black/silver enemies, you're good, sell the rest. The only thing I ever sold extra of that I wish I didn't was amber, because you need a lot to upgrade some armor. When you've got a bunch of armor and you can tell none of them require a certain monster part (horriblin claws I don't think ever came up) then you can sell the lot.

Also sell gems, keep like 10 on hand for upgrading certain stuff or using as a weapon but they're so plentiful around Death Mountain, you can always get more. Only exception I make is diamonds, since you use them for getting a few weapons. You can technically turn luminous stones into gems at some point with dondons, but you can also just sell them instead for immediate profit instead of waiting for gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CainFortea posted:

It's Ganondorf's shadow jizz sock that gained sentience over time.

So Ganon is that one goon!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Ganondorf's a goon too, guy's been dwelling in a basement for like 20,000 years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChocNitty posted:

What's a good thing to sell for rupees? I want to make sure I don't sell something I might need later for armor upgrades or a sidequest. That plot of land I bought left me almost broke.

Sell armour you don't want. You can buy them back later if you change your mind. In particular the stuff you trade poes for is a good way of making money, since poes respawn and it's easy to accumulate a lot fairly quickly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ChocNitty posted:

gems are technically used for other stuff but you should absolutely sell some of them, they even placed an NPC that tells you to do that. don’t worry about not having them later, you’ll get plenty more from exploring caves

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 19, 2023

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

I said come in! posted:

I really want to make it a point to finish all of the Zelda games. So far I have completed:
the Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
A Link to the Past
Breath of the Wild
Tears of the Kingdom

Kinda working my way backwards and next I really want to play Wind Waker HD.

It's a drat shame that you can't play or the Twilight Princess remaster on Switch. :/

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

the actual confusing part is what calamity ganon is supposed to be

Calamity Ganon and TOTK Ganondorf are basically two different interpretations of the Ganon concept but the fact that they coexist and have no relation to each other feels very strange.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Can someone point me in the direction of a King Gleeok please? I've found ice, electric, and fire but need a King one for the (minor spoiler) sculpture in Tarry Town

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Gambrinus posted:

Can someone point me in the direction of a King Gleeok please? I've found ice, electric, and fire but need a King one for the (minor spoiler) sculpture in Tarry Town

The big round floating island in the far left corner of the map over Gerudo desert has a King Gleeok. I believe the same looking one in the far right corner of the map has one too but I haven’t made it there yet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Gambrinus posted:

Depths under Typhlo Ruins

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gambrinus posted:

One in every corner of the sky but northeast, and one in the depths under typhlo ruins.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The one that's in the Depths seems like it would be harder, but something about gloom resistance seems to make it a little bit better? I also think its easier to get back to if you die, since its right near a lightroot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EC posted:

It's a drat shame that you can't play or the Twilight Princess remaster on Switch. :/

For real, I thankfully have a Wii U, but it's not really a great console and its online services have shut down. That doesn't stop me from playing these two games, but still would be nice to have them on Switch instead.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
After having beat the game last week, I just finished all shrines after 150 hours. I'd say that's a pretty solid bang for my bucks. A $70 game where each hour was essentially 50 cents.

At this point, I still have plenty of korok seeds to find, upgrade all of my armor, complete all caves, and find all of the wells, but otherwise I don't have much more of substance left to do in the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat the game today. All Shrines, Lightroots, caves, wells but only about 415 Korok seeds. The end boss was a real rear end in a top hat, especially his second phase. Which is good, I liked the challenge.

Not sure where Nintendo could take Legend of Zelda from here. But we’ll find out in six years when the next one comes out, I guess!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CainFortea posted:

The underdark. I tagged statues that have the types of weapons I like and will sometimes do a hoverbike trip down there just collecting the ones I like and destroying the other ones.

Is there a good spot in the depths that has a lot of weapons? I covered some ground down there last night and didn't see a single one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Is there a good spot in the depths that has a lot of weapons? I covered some ground down there last night and didn't see a single one.

They're everywhere down there. You can also set your sensor to specific ones.

There's a map someone made up on Reddit that shows you where specific ones spawn.

Remember you have to have found and broken the corrupted version before the pure versions show up down there. After doing it a while you get good at recognizing the statue pillars on the map

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought he was pretty simple once I stopped trying to brute force spin-2-win or see if I could do anything weird with Zonai devices. The fact he only did barely a heart of damage on hits kind of deflated the tension, since I felt pretty free to just goof around and experiment before buckling down and just fighting normally. Glad he wasn't a pushover like phantom Ganon's and him getting his own flurry rush was neat, but I went in with like, so many good weapons and the best food spread I ever made and I barely got to use any of it. The spectacle overall was great, but letdown in terms of final test of strength.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

It's actually just a fictional story and they're allowed to exist as their own entities with loose or zero connections to other stories in the franchise. Are the various James Bonds the same continuity or are they parallel universes or are they all just movies that don't need to connect and worrying about it is a fool's errand? Is the prevelance of multiverse media poisoning the well for everything? Was Nintendo expected to make every Zelda game fit into a terrible timeline forever after they did it with Wind Waker?

TotK is firmly saying "this is not really the same world as OoT. Just enjoy it for itself. Any references to past games are fun Easter eggs." Like, there are explicit references to Ruto, an ancient Zora princess, but the things she did have nothing to do with the character from OoT. It's just goofy fun in a goofy game for children.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the divine beasts are named after the towns in zelda II as well as oot sages

Rauru town
Ruto town
Nabooru town
Darunia town
Mido town

they didn't use Saria or Kasuto. I gues Kasuto became Impa for oot and mido became medli for ww

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 19, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I said come in! posted:

For real, I thankfully have a Wii U, but it's not really a great console and its online services have shut down. That doesn't stop me from playing these two games, but still would be nice to have them on Switch instead.

I'm curious how the Miiverse message-in-a-bottle system works in Wind Waker HD after the online shutdown. I'm not sure if nothing shows up, or if they did something like keeping in a set amount of existing art that you can run across so it feels more active.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MokBa posted:

It's actually just a fictional story and they're allowed to exist as their own entities with loose or zero connections to other stories in the franchise. Are the various James Bonds the same continuity or are they parallel universes or are they all just movies that don't need to connect and worrying about it is a fool's errand? Is the prevelance of multiverse media poisoning the well for everything? Was Nintendo expected to make every Zelda game fit into a terrible timeline forever after they did it with Wind Waker?

TotK is firmly saying "this is not really the same world as OoT. Just enjoy it for itself. Any references to past games are fun Easter eggs." Like, there are explicit references to Ruto, an ancient Zora princess, but the things she did have nothing to do with the character from OoT. It's just goofy fun in a goofy game for children.

Having stuff like Fi talking to Zelda through the Master Sword creates tighter ties between the games than they used to have. They're kind of doing a weird thing of making the references more explicit and 'active' than before while also not really committing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The legend of zelda is messy.

Kinda funny doing the tablet quest and dude is telling link how he thinks the history is going and link probably thinking “look at this bozo not knowing I have hallucinations about the direct events and I’ve talked to these people in my mind”

Link just has to take people saying all sorts of crap around him like in school, ring ruins, etc.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

MokBa posted:

I don't quite understand this... so what if people want to talk about the timeline? So what if people want to speculate about the games fit, even if they're not supposed to? Why is that such a crime?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"This is awful to speculate about. Now here is my theory on what relationships exist and to ehat extent."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/mintfizzles/status/1670627338571202562?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't quite understand this... so what if people want to talk about the timeline? So what if people want to speculate about the games fit, even if they're not supposed to? Why is that such a crime?

I don’t necessarily agree with this, but I think some long time Zelda fans have seen the timeline / connection theories for decades now and find the conversations exhausting at this point. Its a really old topic going back to the N64 era on the internet.

I think the theories are fun so you wont see me trying to stop it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

this conversation has been happening online since before gamefaqs first opened its doors to let us nerds argue about series continuity almost 25 years ago.

even if we treat the hyrule historia as the immutable word of god, the whole thing may as well be constructed out of cotton candy in a rainforest. its a 30,000 piece jigsaw puzzle but all the pieces are actually marbles. we've been at it for a longer amount of time than TOTK's Link has been conscious.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

bawk posted:

The one that's in the Depths seems like it would be harder, but something about gloom resistance seems to make it a little bit better? I also think its easier to get back to if you die, since its right near a lightroot.

I will be giving that a swerve, the Depths still scare me.

Thanks all, will have a look for an above ground one.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Timeline theorycrafting is insanely cool and good

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think its normal for people to speculate on the timeline setting of this new game that's a direct sequel and that also involves time travel, with lots of weird, inconsistent connections to both the previous game and the rest of the series.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Telling other posters what to post about makes them feel like a big tough

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/13uqo9h/everything_you_need_to_know_about_nondecayed/

Now that i'm not phone posting, this reddit post has maps for the locations for each type of pristine weapon spawn location.

Keep in mind that if a statue doesn't have the specific weapon you want, make sure you grab it and then throw it away. If you do this often enough you'll eventually prune it away so that the depths are full of the weapons you want.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My stupid theory is that all of these games are connected, but the heroes of the story, Links and Zelda are not. they are different people in most of the games, but are all connect by destiny or some poo poo and only are born in a time when they are most needed to save Hyrule from a great sexy evil, Ganon, who did nothing wrong because he is a cutie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It would be one thing if timeline chat actually influenced the series or how Nintendo makes decisions but it clearly doesn't, so it's harmless. The series is not exactly bogged down by the Lore unlike what happened to a lot of franchises.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the games are in continuity exactly as the lore both in game and out of game describes and the fairly minor discrepancies are really easily resolved by just remembering that things can get retconned.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mycot posted:

It would be one thing if timeline chat actually influenced the series or how Nintendo makes decisions but it clearly doesn't, so it's harmless. The series is not exactly bogged down by the Lore unlike what happened to a lot of franchises.

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

For every Zelda game we tell a new story, but we actually have an enormous document that explains how the game relates to the others, and bind them together. But to be honest, they are not that important to us. We care more about developing the game system… give the player new challenges for every chapter that is born.

Yea, like, they have a lore bible but it's just something that's a nice little extra thing it's not something they adhere to. It's just not an important design consideration.

I do find it a bit weird when people say things like botw and totk are clearly two different things given how interconnected they are though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MokBa posted:

Sounds like game is firmly telling you what you want to hear either way. It's okay for people to speculate about timelines. The speculation cannot hinder enjoyment of the game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

my personal hell would be waking up in a classroom with a small stack of velcro-attached jewel cases, a cloth board with a branching timeline drawn on it, and a sheet of paper that says "without looking at any other games in the stack, please diagram the zelda timeline in great detail using all of the provided materials." the first case I pick up is Tri-Force Heroes; I have a complete nervous breakdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember seeing a psycho on reddit saying that clearly since totk improves on botw in so many areas that it's actually the REAL game the botw developers wanted to make, but nintendo forced them to release something incomplete, and replacing the shrines and putting in the zonai is the original True Vision for botw.

So there are levels of game connection stupidity that have yet to be plumbed.