Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I generally only use my GE to buy premium and then whatever left over I have I use to buy crew xp. No way i'm using GE on research points or SL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
When I spawn a plane in GRB, I feel like I'm not only going fast but my planes is responsive. Yet a few minutes later, after doing some maneuvers, my plane feels sluggish, even if I have the same airspeed(????). Is this what "energy" is? It's very confusing

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

xblackdog posted:

marxismftw you had one job. That was to stay alive until my AIM-9L hit you, and you failed me!

Living up to the ticker

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Farecoal posted:

When I spawn a plane in GRB, I feel like I'm not only going fast but my planes is responsive. Yet a few minutes later, after doing some maneuvers, my plane feels sluggish, even if I have the same airspeed(????). Is this what "energy" is? It's very confusing

Energy is your airspeed + altitude. If you are going 300 MPH and are at 4000 feet you have more energy than if you are going 300 MPH at 200 feet.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a better way to get crew points than grinding in gameplay and not paying GE for points? If play arcade does the crew points gain scale down or is it the same as RB crew gain?

From the wiki: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Crew_skills#Basics

quote:

Crew experience is gained in the form of "Crew XP Points", earned by participating in battles. The number of points accrued for crew experience depends on the research points Rp icon.png obtained in a battle, as well as the game mode of the battle. In Realistic and Simulator battles, for every 100 Rp the player will receive 1 crew XP point which can be distributed to the crew of the vehicle used in that battle. In Arcade battles, every 100 Rp will grant the player 3 crew XP points, but this higher rate also has the crew experience spread out among multiple available crews.

So it's both higher (3% of RP instead of 1%) and lower (because you tend to get less RP in Arcade).

The wiki also confirms that the Targeting skill affects traversal and elevation, not gun accuracy.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Farecoal posted:

Depends on the plane, some planes work better at low or high altitudes, some are very agile at low speeds, some compress badly at high speeds, and some have a bit of a lovely flight model. Some also have a really lovely roll rate. What are you flying?

Energy refers to a combination of speed and altitude within the context of the situation. You can have both or neither, and can trade one for the other. Ideally if you’re going to attack someone you want to have an altitude advantage, which you then trade for speed when you dive on the target, and you then can either trade that speed for altitude to reset your position or could opt to maintain that speed to put some distance from your previous position.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Farecoal posted:

This reads to me like a cognitive bias. It feels responsive on spawn because you don't need to do much with it so you have the comfort to use your energy to manoeuvre as you wish. In a combat situation you may find yourself needing to do specific manoeuvres that push the airframe in ways it cannot respond to.

"Energy", as people have pointed out, is a combination of speed and altitude: speed is your kinetic energy, altitude is your potential energy, and functions as a kinetic energy reserve that can be converted into kinetic energy through diving.

Your plane's manoeuvrability largely depends on your airspeed - if you look into the options category for planes you should find a toggle for displaying true speed (indicated SPD on the game HUD), indicated air speed (IAS on the HUD) or both. Ground speed/true speed is how fast you are moving relative to a static point whereas IAS is your speed relative to the air around you and varies with things like temperature and altitude (primarily altitude) that change atmospheric density. Since IAS is effectively a value for how much air your fuselage is interacting with, it is what determines the strength of the aerodynamic forces applied to the airframe. More IAS means more drag as you are pushing through more air, but it also means that greater force is applied on your control surfaces such as your elevator that determine how your plane manoeuvres (up to a certain point, depending on the plane's construction quality, as at high enough speeds the wind force on the control surfaces overpowers the mechanical force to move them and they cannot deflect properly - commonly referred to as "locking up").

So since your manoeuvrability is determined by your speed, it is largely a matter of kinetic energy. But since manoeuvring involves bleeding speed, your potential energy becomes important for your ability to maintain that manoeuvring. Attacking someone with similar airframe character and flying at the same speed as you from a higher altitude puts you at an advantage because if you both do the same turn you can trade your altitude advantage to keep your speed and your manoeuvring up, whereas your target will need to stop or risk crashing into the ground. What might be happening in your case is that you are spawning in, diving to the ground battle, and after engaging for a while getting preyed upon by a freshly spawned enemy that has just traded their whole starting altitude to get to you and picked up a whole lot of extra kinetic energy in the process. If you can see that coming, your best bet is to engage in defensive action to get the person after you to bleed off the energy they picked up and bring their energy state closer to yours so that you may engage on even terms.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It's not just your pilot being fatigued from pulling a bunch of high-G manouvers? Stamina is the crew skill that's responsible for how well your crew can stay in fighting shape through manouvers and combat.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

YF-23 posted:

This reads to me like a cognitive bias. It feels responsive on spawn because you don't need to do much with it so you have the comfort to use your energy to manoeuvre as you wish. In a combat situation you may find yourself needing to do specific manoeuvres that push the airframe in ways it cannot respond to.

"Energy", as people have pointed out, is a combination of speed and altitude: speed is your kinetic energy, altitude is your potential energy, and functions as a kinetic energy reserve that can be converted into kinetic energy through diving.

Your plane's manoeuvrability largely depends on your airspeed - if you look into the options category for planes you should find a toggle for displaying true speed (indicated SPD on the game HUD), indicated air speed (IAS on the HUD) or both. Ground speed/true speed is how fast you are moving relative to a static point whereas IAS is your speed relative to the air around you and varies with things like temperature and altitude (primarily altitude) that change atmospheric density. Since IAS is effectively a value for how much air your fuselage is interacting with, it is what determines the strength of the aerodynamic forces applied to the airframe. More IAS means more drag as you are pushing through more air, but it also means that greater force is applied on your control surfaces such as your elevator that determine how your plane manoeuvres (up to a certain point, depending on the plane's construction quality, as at high enough speeds the wind force on the control surfaces overpowers the mechanical force to move them and they cannot deflect properly - commonly referred to as "locking up").

So since your manoeuvrability is determined by your speed, it is largely a matter of kinetic energy. But since manoeuvring involves bleeding speed, your potential energy becomes important for your ability to maintain that manoeuvring. Attacking someone with similar airframe character and flying at the same speed as you from a higher altitude puts you at an advantage because if you both do the same turn you can trade your altitude advantage to keep your speed and your manoeuvring up, whereas your target will need to stop or risk crashing into the ground. What might be happening in your case is that you are spawning in, diving to the ground battle, and after engaging for a while getting preyed upon by a freshly spawned enemy that has just traded their whole starting altitude to get to you and picked up a whole lot of extra kinetic energy in the process. If you can see that coming, your best bet is to engage in defensive action to get the person after you to bleed off the energy they picked up and bring their energy state closer to yours so that you may engage on even terms.

FWIW, there are generally two types of fighters. Boom&zoom and turn fighters. German aircraft typically are boom and zoom, where you dive at a target, take a few shoots and then zoom up to altititude again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Turn fighters, such as spitfires, have small turning radii so they can get behind the tail of a enemy and be able to take a shot, not losing as as much energy doing so. If you try to turn fight in a BF109 against a spitfire you are going to find yourself low and slow and then dead. Spitfires can boom and zoom, but not as efficiently as a 109.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cimber posted:

FWIW, there are generally two types of fighters. Boom&zoom and turn fighters. German aircraft typically are boom and zoom, where you dive at a target, take a few shoots and then zoom up to altititude again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Turn fighters, such as spitfires, have small turning radii so they can get behind the tail of a enemy and be able to take a shot, not losing as as much energy doing so. If you try to turn fight in a BF109 against a spitfire you are going to find yourself low and slow and then dead. Spitfires can boom and zoom, but not as efficiently as a 109.

I would say there are main three types of fighter:
  • Turn and Burn
  • Boom and Zoom
  • Energy

The German tree leans more toward energy fighters as opposed to boom and zoom. The Bf 109 line are the best energy fighters in the game in my view, and the Fw 190 line are mostly boom and zoom, though the Doras can energy fight to a certain degree. The US tree are almost entirely boom and zoom, which is probably why so many players are absolutely terrible with them (and incidentally why I'm not too keen on US planes either).

With that all being said though, while all planes will lean toward a particular style the tactic you use should be determined more by your target than your own plane. If youre in a Spitfire attacking a Zero, you would be ill advised to try and engage in a turn fight just because the Spitfire performs well as a turn fighter - BnZ would be better. On the flip side, if you was in that same Spitfire attacking a P47 you could absolutely energy fight it or goad it into a turn fight.

Some planes such as the Yak3 are absolutely hopeless at BnZ because they lock up too easily and have a relatively low wing rip speed.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I would say there are main three types of fighter:
  • Turn and Burn
  • Boom and Zoom
  • Energy

The German tree leans more toward energy fighters as opposed to boom and zoom. The Bf 109 line are the best energy fighters in the game in my view, and the Fw 190 line are mostly boom and zoom, though the Doras can energy fight to a certain degree. The US tree are almost entirely boom and zoom, which is probably why so many players are absolutely terrible with them (and incidentally why I'm not too keen on US planes either).

With that all being said though, while all planes will lean toward a particular style the tactic you use should be determined more by your target than your own plane. If youre in a Spitfire attacking a Zero, you would be ill advised to try and engage in a turn fight just because the Spitfire performs well as a turn fighter - BnZ would be better. On the flip side, if you was in that same Spitfire attacking a P47 you could absolutely energy fight it or goad it into a turn fight.

Some planes such as the Yak3 are absolutely hopeless at BnZ because they lock up too easily and have a relatively low wing rip speed.

What then is the difference between energy and B&Z?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cimber posted:

What then is the difference between energy and B&Z?

This is my perception so anyone else is free to come and tell me how wrong I am.

Boom and Zoom Fighters
  • Very high top speed and wing rip speed.
  • Minimal compression/lock up.
  • Able to maintain speed for extended periods at level flight.
  • Powerful armament and high ammo count.
  • Poor climb rate.
  • Poor acceleration.
  • Poor low altitude performance.

Energy Fighters
  • Excellent climb rate.
  • Excellent acceleration.
  • Excellent low to mid altitude performance.
  • Superb vertical manoeuvrability.
  • Mostly decent top speed and wing rip speed but can vary (I'm looking at you Yak3).
  • Lighter armament and lower ammo count.
  • Tends to suffer from compression/lockup at higher speeds.
  • Suboptimal high altitude performance.

In terms of tactics, BnZ is about coming in hot and getting away before the target knows whats hit them. A textbook example involves you diving at speed on the target aircraft on an intercept course against their flight path, making an attack pass and regardless of a successful kill or not, zoom climbing back up to altitude. If the attack was unsuccessful, you reposition and have another go. The idea is you keep your speed up as high as possible so the target craft isn't able to attack back. A variant of this tactic is known as Boom and Run, where instead of zoom climbing back up to altitude you use that high speed retention to fly level and put as much distance between you and your intended target as possible. Either tactic requires patience.

Energy fighting is about maintaining your energy advantage over your opponent and bleeding theirs, which often takes the form of repeated dives and attack passes on a target, forcing them lower and slower with each one. The key difference between this and pure boom and zoom is that instead of maintaining a high speed and gaining as much distance as possible, you instead utilise your excellent climb and acceleration rate to immediately regain altitude above your target before diving on them again. There's other stuff that you can do as well but this gives an idea of the basic principle.

Of course in the game its quite common to use a blend of various tactics. I myself usually play realistic ground battles, so even though I'm in a 109 I'm usually BnZ'ing people because its a heck of a lot easier to take people by surprise when your name isn't hovering over your plane in big red letters.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Energy fighters do not extend away to reset after engaging, they stay close in a dogfight and rely on their superior engine power and energy retention characteristics to win an advantage over their nominally better-turning opponents that cannot keep up the same way. A Spitfire that has bled all its speed is a sitting duck, and Bf 109s that enter an engagement at an energy advantage and trick them into spending their energy and widening that gap will kill them very easily. BnZ planes are ones that are particularly suited to the playstyle of making a pass, maybe turning for a second one, and then getting right out because they are too spent past that and need what they have left to create distance and reset.

It should be noted that there's significant overlap between all of those categories and technically speaking, every fighter is an energy fighter - it is just a question of which manouevres they are most efficient at. With every plane, from a Zero to a Spitfire to a Fw 190, your gameplan is to either create an energy advantage or mitigate an energy disadvantage. Everyone who has used a turnfighter has been in the circumstance where they're going too slow to follow a worse-turning but faster opponent, trying to use their machine to get a viable shooting window. And what happens then is that even if you get that kind of opportunity you cannot keep it up to capitalise, your opponent will find it very easy to dodge all your shots, and you've only managed to put yourself in an unrecoverable position. The correct play for the turnfighter is to stop turnfighting, switch to a defensive posture, and avoid taking damage while the opponent tries to get shots into you and shrinks their energy advantage in the process.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Naval AB is a fantastic way of grinding crew skills. The 250 GE Kerch is a a wonderful generator.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YF-23 posted:

…every fighter is an energy fighter…

:hai:

This is really what you should be taking from all of this.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Naval AB is a fantastic way of grinding crew skills. The 250 GE Kerch is a a wonderful generator.

Speaking of which, I just got a free S-701 from the event. Took it out and died the first time. Second time I....won 30,000 SL. WHAT THE HELL!?!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Naval AB is a ridiculous land of fun fast kills, and shitloads of SL. It's bizarre that it isn't more popular. As a break from the far more intense nature of ground RB it's fantastic.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Naval AB is a ridiculous land of fun fast kills, and shitloads of SL. It's bizarre that it isn't more popular. As a break from the far more intense nature of ground RB it's fantastic.

I'm loving it. Using a bunch of SL boosters is raking in the cash for me. It's also just me, no one else is playing it, so i'm chewing up bots in botes like crazy. got 45K SL last match.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Every plane is better off BnZing. If you're in a Zero, there is no reason not to dive on people and zoom out.

Naval is great fun. Just hold right click until you win. Personally I think RB is more populated and the game modes are practically the exact same

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

GrossMurpel posted:

Every plane is better off BnZing. If you're in a Zero, there is no reason not to dive on people and zoom out.

There are several reasons not to BnZ in a Zero. You don’t retain energy well and your top speed is poor, which negates the “Zoom” part. Your flaps will rip off in a dive and your controls lock up at high speeds, so you have poor maneuverability—and you need to land those 20mm rounds fairly precisely to score a kill, unlike the US fighters that can spray .50 cal Browning everywhere.

The game plan for a Zero is always this: slot into their six and stay there until they die or you run out of ammo. Speed is life? Maybe, but the Way of the Samurai is to choose death. Always be turn fighting.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you are BnZing you are starting off from a point of energy advantage which you can still exploit even in a Zero. You should absolutely use its superior turning ability to win dogfights at similar energy states, but there's no reason to do before an energy advantage that you might have gets whittled away. That isn't to say you should BnZ necessarily, but pulling up and away so you can do a second diving attack would be preferable to sticking with it and risking an overshoot that might put you at risk instead.

Anyway, repair cost and SL multiplier changes are live, along showing you what BRs maps exist on in the map filter.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/8327-development-following-the-roadmap-updated-economy-en
https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/1506

Apparently 2-3% of survey responders were against the changes. What goes in those people's minds is a mystery.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"I worked hard to be top tier so it's unfair if others don't also have to suffer", or something along those lines. Standard bootlicker mentality.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm just surprised there wasn't more disagreement from just general "gently caress off gaijin" mentality or people wanting SL to be removed entirely

E: Completely unrelated, but I just looked at the achievements for fun. All the literally impossible ones (as in, 0.0% completion rate on Steam) are the ones from the gaijin.net achievement category and they're all "play X hours in battles" or "kill X vehicles as a specific nation". I'm not surprised that achievements are broken, I always knew that, just that there's some that are THIS broken, with not a single player ever completing them.
Looks like I spent 6 hours in battle out of my 3000 hours of playing the game :haw:

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 20, 2023

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Vengarr posted:

The game plan for a Zero is always this: slot into their six and stay there until they die or you run out of ammo.

fwiw japanese planes are hardcoded to catch on fire 420% easier when getting plinked at by allied tailgunners :350:

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm just surprised there wasn't more disagreement from just general "gently caress off gaijin" mentality or people wanting SL to be removed entirely

E: Completely unrelated, but I just looked at the achievements for fun. All the literally impossible ones (as in, 0.0% completion rate on Steam) are the ones from the gaijin.net achievement category and they're all "play X hours in battles" or "kill X vehicles as a specific nation". I'm not surprised that achievements are broken, I always knew that, just that there's some that are THIS broken, with not a single player ever completing them.
Looks like I spent 6 hours in battle out of my 3000 hours of playing the game :haw:

Are they broken or are they so new no one has really earned them yet? I don't think they were there a few days ago. FWIW I usually play via launcher and when I occasionally log in through steam the achievements get updated/unlocked.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 20, 2023

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Punished Ape posted:

Did they just get added? I don't believe they were there a few days ago. They may be broken, but FWIW I usually play via launcher and when I occasionally log in through steam the achievements get updated/unlocked.

And 0 players go 100 kills since La Royale dropped?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

And 0 players go 100 kills since La Royale dropped?

Edited my post. There was an update this morning, were they just unlocked today?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Punished Ape posted:

Edited my post. There was an update this morning, were they just unlocked today?

Yeah you might be right, and the global achievement stats probably take a while to sync

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
The cadet achievement (10 hours in battle) currently has a .2% completion rate on my end so it looks like they're working, just slowly, and apparently not retroactive.

In other news the economy changes are live! I'm enjoying the roughly halved repair cost for my T95E1.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRkkbL8XchYFqjxA8uoZTuPvCMVx5LmXbjszw8JJAka_SP9XImASlGUNvVKBae7gHFWubKTM5jy2Tdk/pubhtml

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
These new economic changes are really nice. Not losing money if i had a bad match is a great thing. I also seem to be uptiered a lot less. Though of course now that i've said that i'm sure i'll be screwed.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Will be interested in comparing my results this coming weekend from the previous one where I was hemorrhaging SL's in my Lim-5P and constantly getting up tiers.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Hopefully this has the knock on effect of less people quitting after one death because it's possible to make money on a good loss again. Been playing 7.7 Sweden and man they really hosed wire guided ATGMs huh? The missile from the UDES dips about 5 metres after firing and they lag behind your point of aim horribly.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Eh, who needs turret rings anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/YX2Q01t.mp4

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i always love the start of match bumpercars where everyone gets in everyone else's way and one yields.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cimber posted:

i always love the start of match bumpercars where everyone gets in everyone else's way and one yields.

my favorite is when everyone is moving fine but then the game spawns in new tanks at 90 degree angles and dead in front to you t-bone them immediately

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

my favorite is when everyone is moving fine but then the game spawns in new tanks at 90 degree angles and dead in front to you t-bone them immediately

And then everyone else bumps into you and the entire thing turns into NYC traffic.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
And occasionally the game really fucks up and you phase into another tank and now you're at the mercy of the physics engine

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm popping a 200% SL boost. Watch me do absolute poo poo this round.

..aaaand i made 50k :D

Cimber fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 21, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's why I like the 15% boosts the most. You get a good 10 rounds to avoid screw ups and you can make respectable bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I got the Panther A with that 200 SL boost, and holy poo poo the new turret turn speed makes me hard.