Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I big issue with Venom, Morbius, and Kraven as these villain/anti-hero origin stories is that they don't really fight anything or anyone who's interesting. Because they're supposed to fight Spider-Man. IMO, they should be fighting Spider-Man as like an over-arching recurring antagonist/monkey wrench in the gears.

I know, big ask for the Spider-Man universe to feature some of the titular character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This feels like something that would happen in a Spider-Man comic. His villains all get movies without him in them, painting each one as a cool anti-hero.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

This feels like something that would happen in a Spider-Man comic. His villains all get movies without him in them, painting each one as a cool anti-hero.

It did, it was the plot of the Mary Jane comic where she went to Hollywood a few years back and was good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

And The Bugle gives them all 5 stars

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Looks like dogshit.

Sony and WBD+ are doing their best to pop the superhero bubble

Lmao at doing the Rhino, but they are the lizard

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's sad what's happened to Chandor. A Most Violent Year is great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Did he just...was he bitten by a radioactive lion?

I did not know Kraven had the exact same origin as the Halle Berry Catwoman?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Give me an alt universe Spider-Man where his own powers and all of his villains happen because of a large scale containment failure at the radioactive zoo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What's super weird is Black Cat could actually work as a movie without the Spider-Man connection since it'd mostly be a heist flick but they decided to make loving Morbius and Kraven first.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
is this leading somewhere? or is this just weird contractual bullshit?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

What's super weird is Black Cat could actually work as a movie without the Spider-Man connection since it'd mostly be a heist flick but they decided to make loving Morbius and Kraven first.

Black Cat is bitten by a radioactive cat and gets bad luck powers!

Zoobtro posted:

is this leading somewhere? or is this just weird contractual bullshit?

It's leading to the same place all these other Spider-Man villain movies are: nowhere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

There was going to be a Silver Sable/Black Cat movie years back but that got scrapped

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It just looks so generic. Like him running after the SUV looks like it could be from any action movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Who does this movie even appeal to? They've made so many changes to the character that probably not hardcore fans and it looks so generic, and stars such a generic actor, that it doesn't seem like it'd grab average audiences' attention.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

twistedmentat posted:

It just looks so generic. Like him running after the SUV looks like it could be from any action movie.

like they're using all the stock assets they've already paid for

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wait, no accent? Did we already know they weren't going to have ATJ do a Russian accent?

Mr Hootington posted:

Looks like dogshit.

Sony and WBD+ are doing their best to pop the superhero bubble

Lmao at doing the Rhino, but they are the lizard

Going that route with Rhino is not a big deal to me. It's basically what they did on the Spectacular series.

All in all this is weird timing because we're going to get such a good version of Kraven later this year in the Spider-Man 2 game.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The Spiderverse films were a fluke. I can't imagine how badly they would have hosed Miles up if he was live action.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
guess what, you're gonna be able find out

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Devoid of context, "Don't you want to know why they call me The Rhino?" is typically an obvious question. Because you are big and strong. Ta-da.

I will say that at least in stills, Kraven looks right. It's one of the shortest hurdles to clear, but they managed it. +1 for looks

However, if Russel Crow is going to be bringing his low energy Russian accent to go alongside his terrible Greek accent from Love and Thunder, then ATJ (not to be confused with the other ATJ running around right now) can dust off his vaguely Eastern Soviet Block Avengers 2 accent. It would be close enough. I would bump this up one entire star if he was speaking like Boris Badenov.

And if you didn't brand this with the Kraven/comic book marketing, this would probably be a Netflix original level B movie about a sad kid getting revenge against his lovely dad. And that's probably fine. But it makes for a bad superhero movie. I was going to say you can't have a story where an established Villain has a story arc and he never interacts any classic Hero, but Venom did it twice to a fair level of success, so shows what I know.

It almost feels like they are taking the big game hunter, poacher, rear end in a top hat, character traits and giving them to Crow's character, so we can identify with Kraven and empathize with him. Oh no, you see, he's an abused child, he doesn't want to kill these dangerous animals, he respects life and nature and probably votes liberal.

Has Kraven gone against any of the animal themed Spider-man villains in the comics? I know a big plot point for the Spider-man 2 game coming soon is that he's going to be hunting Lizard, but him fighting Rhino, Vulture, Scorpion and to a lesser degree Doc Ock could be something. But I think he sees them as dudes in suits, where Lizard is a monster of questionable intelligence.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

BrianWilly posted:

Did he just...was he bitten by a radioactive lion?

It's obviously super-toxoplasmosis.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
“I’ve taken all of the worst parts from all of your least favorite superhero films. The cat resurrection from Catwoman. The wall-jumping from X-Men. The animal mutates from TMNT. That guy who played the twin that isn’t Elizabeth Olsen in the Avengers movie nobody liked. It’s a formula that can’t possibly win.”

“What do you call it?”

White Panther."
"Crocodile Dumbdee."
"Kraven the Hunter.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CzarChasm posted:

Devoid of context, "Don't you want to know why they call me The Rhino?" is typically an obvious question. Because you are big and strong. Ta-da.

I will say that at least in stills, Kraven looks right. It's one of the shortest hurdles to clear, but they managed it. +1 for looks

However, if Russel Crow is going to be bringing his low energy Russian accent to go alongside his terrible Greek accent from Love and Thunder, then ATJ (not to be confused with the other ATJ running around right now) can dust off his vaguely Eastern Soviet Block Avengers 2 accent. It would be close enough. I would bump this up one entire star if he was speaking like Boris Badenov.

And if you didn't brand this with the Kraven/comic book marketing, this would probably be a Netflix original level B movie about a sad kid getting revenge against his lovely dad. And that's probably fine. But it makes for a bad superhero movie. I was going to say you can't have a story where an established Villain has a story arc and he never interacts any classic Hero, but Venom did it twice to a fair level of success, so shows what I know.

It almost feels like they are taking the big game hunter, poacher, rear end in a top hat, character traits and giving them to Crow's character, so we can identify with Kraven and empathize with him. Oh no, you see, he's an abused child, he doesn't want to kill these dangerous animals, he respects life and nature and probably votes liberal.

Has Kraven gone against any of the animal themed Spider-man villains in the comics? I know a big plot point for the Spider-man 2 game coming soon is that he's going to be hunting Lizard, but him fighting Rhino, Vulture, Scorpion and to a lesser degree Doc Ock could be something. But I think he sees them as dudes in suits, where Lizard is a monster of questionable intelligence.

One of the punisher series had kraven hunt and capture numerous animal villains then punisher shows up to maim and kill a bunch of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supposedly Kraven is shooting for an R rating due to violence but we'll see because I highly suspect Sony is going to get cold feet and it'll come out at PG-13.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CzarChasm posted:

When you put it this way this is a weird genderbend of the Cruella movie.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m betting it opens to sub-$30 million

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Supposedly Kraven is shooting for an R rating due to violence but we'll see because I highly suspect Sony is going to get cold feet and it'll come out at PG-13.

How violent would a movie even have to be to get an R these days? Definitely more than Sony is willing to do, I'm sure

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
still can’t believe that Sony made Kraven’s origin that he GETS BITTEN BY A RADIOACTIVE LION lmao

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Sony just put out a red band trailer with blood spurts and Kraven biting off a dude’s nose. Not sure if it’d be completely unprecedented to cut it down to a PG-13 at that point, but it’d be pretty unusual, at least.

https://youtu.be/rze8QYwWGMs

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

Give me an alt universe Spider-Man where his own powers and all of his villains happen because of a large scale containment failure at the radioactive zoo.

Ah, the Smallville meteor shower/Flash Star Labs reactor model. Great for TV!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Sony just put out a red band trailer with blood spurts and Kraven biting off a dude’s nose. Not sure if it’d be completely unprecedented to cut it down to a PG-13 at that point, but it’d be pretty unusual, at least.

https://youtu.be/rze8QYwWGMs

lol yeah this is definitely going for the R rating

I like how they show the spiders to tease that Spider-Man might show up but we all know he won't

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Gritty reboot of Ace Ventura looking mid

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

One of the punisher series had kraven hunt and capture numerous animal villains then punisher shows up to maim and kill a bunch of them.

That run also featured the knife gun, so maybe one day we’ll see Jon Bernthal shoot a bunch of knives into ATJ

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/downrightdpad/status/1670704816115396609?t=fqDDeoa79HzTkw72FY3ccA&s=19

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Good news is I can’t see them keeping Ezra after this bomb. I guess I can enjoy whoever Gunn’s Flash is (Wally?) instead of avoiding it.

Oh and I hope it made David Zaslav cry so hard he puked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Codependent Poster posted:

Black Cat is bitten by a radioactive cat and gets bad luck powers!

It'll be terrible but the basketball scene is worth it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
good thing gunn just handed this guy the batman franchise

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

good thing gunn just handed this guy the batman franchise

The other Batman franchise!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Joe Fisto posted:

Good news is I can’t see them keeping Ezra after this bomb.

I frankly don’t believe that there was any possibility of that happening, at least not since all the stories broke about Miller. Any suggestion to the contrary was just PR on WB’s part

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So what is next after this?

We have Dakota Johnson in a Madame Web movie for some reason.
Bad Bunny as El Muerto, and I keep thinking "Zendaya is Meechee" whenever I think about that.
Hypno Hustler with Donald Glover was recently greenlit.

It honestly feels like Sony is making these movies are some sort of tax scam or money laundering plot at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Madame Web movie is at least in production. I'm skeptical that the El Muerto one gets made.

They are also working on Venom 3 now which is going to be the last one.