Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

well,

They seem to be working on new body types

if Itto doesnt get upgraded to this, I'm going to riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Which one is varka

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Excelzior posted:

if Itto doesnt get upgraded to this, I'm going to riot

:hmmyes:

Also while they'll probably never do it, I want overweight playable models and buff females as well.

I also imagine we're due a male child character sooner or later, but that doesn't really need a new model

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
the eighth element is clearly swol

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Nah, I'm sitting this one out I think. All this leak stuff looks like, pre-alpha concept stuff. There's, like, reference collages ON the pages.

Someone is def gonna get thrown into megajail for this, tho.

Edit: there's like 3 different "Captain R" designs in here lmao

Edit 2: one of them is literally a jojo reference :eyepop:

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 19, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh its cool to see the process but yeah i wouldnt be making roll plans based on designs except for chars who have had one design leaked multiple times

captain r has had like 50 designs at this point

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

Huge character design leaks out and about today, if you're into that sort of thing. Biggest by far since release.

Feels like somebody terminal got hacked or an artbook got leaked or something more than anything. Some of it was getting nuked in real time as I was browsing through it out of curiosity.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Have we forgotten the lesson of Momoka the 5-star Geo archer so soon?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Can't believe Char really is the elusive cryo catalyst

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

All I care about is if Arlecchino my beloved is playable. If it's with that model it's a definite plus, she looks good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just saw an example of why Genshin's writing can drive me completely insane: Vimara village. Rana refers to tiger cubs. From context we can infer that she's talking about the village children. Not a second later Paimon goes "but there are no tigers in the forest???" and it's explained to our flying moron.

This happens a lot. Not usually this striking, but NOTHING can be left to inference without Paimon having to have it explained. :argh:

I really want to like Paimon, but they do their damndest to be an annoying child, not a charming one.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Don't worry, there's about a 50/50 (:haw:) chance that you will grow to love paimon, basically against your will. The effect she has on people is mistifying.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just saw an example of why Genshin's writing can drive me completely insane: Vimara village. Rana refers to tiger cubs. From context we can infer that she's talking about the village children. Not a second later Paimon goes "but there are no tigers in the forest???" and it's explained to our flying moron.

This happens a lot. Not usually this striking, but NOTHING can be left to inference without Paimon having to have it explained. :argh:

I really want to like Paimon, but they do their damndest to be an annoying child, not a charming one.

You do realize how incredibly bad at reading and interpreting things the vast majority of people are, don't you?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

All I care about is if Arlecchino my beloved is playable. If it's with that model it's a definite plus, she looks good.

The sheer level of gaslighting on that end would be more brutal if I was as fixated on that particular character as much as most seem to be. It's flip-flopped like 3 times in the last couple weeks on what the internet wants people to believe.

MoonCrab posted:

Nah, I'm sitting this one out I think. All this leak stuff looks like, pre-alpha concept stuff. There's, like, reference collages ON the pages.

Someone is def gonna get thrown into megajail for this, tho.

Edit: there's like 3 different "Captain R" designs in here lmao

Edit 2: one of them is literally a jojo reference :eyepop:

It's obviously some guys concept designs being hacked and/or leaked and shouldn't be taken as anything approaching finalized. Even all the Fontaine concept stuff you can tell isn't even close to finished with all the obviously not properly rendered architecture and environmental effects. It looks part way in-between what playable environments and the thinly disguised edges of them peering into the unfinished areas with N64 era textures.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 19, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kale posted:

The sheer level of gaslighting on that end would be more brutal if I was as fixated on that particular character as much as most seem to be. It's flip-flopped like 3 times in the last couple weeks on what the internet wants people to believe

Look Dehya was the only Sumeru character I was excited for. :shepface: I learned painfully to never be too attached until you see the kit. At least there's also Captain R in Fontiane, surely they both won't be bad right? ...right?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Won 50/50 and got kazuha. Got enough resources for another 50/50 shot but should have enough saved up for guarantee on hydro archon when they come out.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

silvergoose posted:

You do realize how incredibly bad at reading and interpreting things the vast majority of people are, don't you?

Feels like the complaint is more they should either stick to their prose or write straightforwardly to begin with, instead of trying to split the difference and bloat the script.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Paimon's legitimately awful, and I think people who come to like her have stockholm syndrome.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Paimon's legitimately awful, and I think people who come to like her have stockholm syndrome.

Paimon is our friend and it is not her fault the MiHoYo refuses to let the main character talk.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm just starting and wish I could ditch Paimon already even if it meant Amber and Kaeya tagging along everywhere. I do get a sensible chuckle from her chatter every now and then.

I hit the first ascension jumping from 20 to 40, which feels a bit much. Maybe I was supposed to stop at 30 for a bit while bringing more of my roster up. I picked up a few more characters. Something Sara the lightning archer, Layla the sleepy lightning shielder, and a couple copies of the little kid with the polearm and healing turnips. Layla has been a huge help along with Beidou in letting me be lazy and not dodge attacks, gotta build those bad habits early. A couple of my characters look to require ascension mats from another country to go past 20, though I haven't checked all the shops or crafting yet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I feel like her and the traveler are just undergoing an extended Manzai comedy routine at this point. Anyway how is that even though I have like 30 of these hieroglyph tablet things I still have yet to have the right combination to unlock any of these Primal Obelisks I've come across. Apparently it's not even really possible to unlock them all until you've basically done everything in the first 3 desert sections, but I'm basically done those now. I noticed some of them got revealed on my map around the Tomb of King Deshret, but I honestly can't recall how I did that. Oh well probably some guide out there on youtube on how to find them all anyway if I need it.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

bagrada posted:

I'm just starting and wish I could ditch Paimon already even if it meant Amber and Kaeya tagging along everywhere. I do get a sensible chuckle from her chatter every now and then.

I hit the first ascension jumping from 20 to 40, which feels a bit much. Maybe I was supposed to stop at 30 for a bit while bringing more of my roster up. I picked up a few more characters. Something Sara the lightning archer, Layla the sleepy lightning shielder, and a couple copies of the little kid with the polearm and healing turnips. Layla has been a huge help along with Beidou in letting me be lazy and not dodge attacks, gotta build those bad habits early. A couple of my characters look to require ascension mats from another country to go past 20, though I haven't checked all the shops or crafting yet.
Anyone from Inazuma is locked out until you complete all of Liyue which is just Sara

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Paimon is our friend and it is not her fault the MiHoYo refuses to let the main character talk.

Basically. Paimon's great when she's allowed to actually be a character, but it is very annoying when she's just repeating to you what we just heard five seconds ago (Oz is similarly annoying!).

Of all the QoL improvements we've seen in Honkai, I hope the writing is the one we get over in Genshin. Let the Traveler talk! You have good VAs in multiple languages going to waste!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bagrada posted:

you can go to sumeru and get ascension mats for them whenever, but the inazuma characters (like sara) have their mats locked behind inazuma access, which unlocks further into the story.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Basically. Paimon's great when she's allowed to actually be a character, but it is very annoying when she's just repeating to you what we just heard five seconds ago (Oz is similarly annoying!).

Of all the QoL improvements we've seen in Honkai, I hope the writing is the one we get over in Genshin. Let the Traveler talk! You have good VAs in multiple languages going to waste!

I have it on good authority that in fact Paimon gets it, but only after literally everyone else does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-soVjRMWs

Also Yuki Aoi isn't going to waste, she's just being used in a different game of there's. Also Zach Aguilar get's to MC a lot of the English livestreams so he's not entirely going to waste either I suppose. They'll probably talk more if they get another scene together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJ_lPxO8T8&t=35s

Still this is the only time I can recall hearing Lumine speak in game as an Aether avatar player and for Aether himself it was at the very end of the Liyue Archon Quest where he just randomly speaks and it's almost kind of jarring.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 19, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wish Paimon wasn't the main character instead of the Traveler but the EN voice actor is absolutely fantastic and makes me laugh with their delivery far more than I'd expect. I'm blown away that they haven't won an award already because of how much they put into the role. There's hilarious rage and pathos in equal measure and I really enjoy the way they express Paimon's indignance in the performance.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

This is very much how I feel. Although I feel Oz comes across better since we get him in smaller dose, so there's less opportunity to get sick of his schtick.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Kale posted:

I have it on good authority that in fact Paimon gets it, but only after literally everyone else does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-soVjRMWs

Also Yuki Aoi isn't going to waste, she's just being used in a different game of there's. Also Zach Aguilar get's to MC a lot of the English livestreams so he's not entirely going to waste either I suppose. They'll probably talk more if they get another scene together.

Still this is the only time I can recall hearing Lumine speak in game as an Aether avatar player and for Aether himself it was at the very end of the Liyue Archon Quest where he just randomly speaks and it's almost kind of jarring.
The MC has two lines in all of Liyue. One about putting up posters (which IS really jarring and funny) and the other is just humming Barbara's song to a flower which is also just out of nowhere

basically anytime the MC talks is a jump scare

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

The MC has two lines in all of Liyue. One about putting up posters (which IS really jarring and funny) and the other is just humming Barbara's song to a flower which is also just out of nowhere

basically anytime the MC talks is a jump scare

Yeah that's the one, the posters one. :lol:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Every time The Traveler has a confused thousand yard stare during a cutscene I laugh like crazy, it's so out of place and Lumine's looks hilarious. It's like a cat's surprised face when the eyes get really wide. I think that was a Genshin 1.0 thing though because I don't remember it nearly as much in Inazuma or Sumeru

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Star Rail does that too, it will be all silence then randomly your character will muse aloud to themselves about what's going on, or will speak up. It's like only one of the five writers or programmers remembers they recorded all these hours of dialogue and the rest just assume standard silent protagonist.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kale posted:

I feel like her and the traveler are just undergoing an extended Manzai comedy routine at this point. Anyway how is that even though I have like 30 of these hieroglyph tablet things I still have yet to have the right combination to unlock any of these Primal Obelisks I've come across. Apparently it's not even really possible to unlock them all until you've basically done everything in the first 3 desert sections, but I'm basically done those now. I noticed some of them got revealed on my map around the Tomb of King Deshret, but I honestly can't recall how I did that. Oh well probably some guide out there on youtube on how to find them all anyway if I need it.

If you talk to the obelisk, one of the options is to mark all its seals. I don't know if it'll let you have more than one set marked at a time, but usually if you can get to the obelisk, you can get to all its seals.

Of course, I'm pretty sure I got an achievement for doing all of them, and I have leftover seals, so who can say, really.

bagrada posted:

The shops only have that nation's mats, but also tend to require finishing the nation to unlock the shop, on top of getting the seals to buy stuff from them from chests or whatever. They're not that useful, unless you really need a handful of stuff right now to finish ascending something.

Also those are later characters, so even yaoyao, who should just require things from liyue, ends up needing boss mats from elsewhere (sumeru, in her case). You can get to the non-inazuma bosses just by walking a whole bunch, so there's that, at least. I think most of them are just things you can walk up to, rather than requiring story-based unlocks

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Star Rail does the silent protagonist better than Genshin, but really the best story is in the game where the main character actually gets to be a character (Honkai Impact.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Talking to the obelisk will only show you exactly the seals you need to complete that obelisk (all of which are nearby). It's actually kind of a troll mechanic that you can use the same seals between obelisks because you still need to find every seal to finish them all (there are two obelisk achievements, one for the 3.1 desert one for the 3.4 desert) and it makes it hard to track down which of your obelisks have seals nearby.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I wish Paimon wasn't the main character instead of the Traveler but the EN voice actor is absolutely fantastic and makes me laugh with their delivery far more than I'd expect. I'm blown away that they haven't won an award already because of how much they put into the role. There's hilarious rage and pathos in equal measure and I really enjoy the way they express Paimon's indignance in the performance.

Yeah, Corina Boettger does an excellent job with what they're given (especially since they're just like Paimon in that they can be incredible gremlins), and I really enjoy them as Paimon.

Danakir posted:

This is very much how I feel. Although I feel Oz comes across better since we get him in smaller dose, so there's less opportunity to get sick of his schtick.

I dislike Oz more tbh, because while Paimon comes off as a bit slow and not understanding things somemost of the time, Oz comes off as a bit condescending, at least to me

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What mein fraulein means to say is that you are all rather stupid

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
While I was initially annoyed by Paimon, I have really come around on her. My wife instantly fell in love with Paimon and loves having her there as a "bestie" type character that says the kinda stuff she wouldn't want the Traveler to say. A lot of "Oh geeze Paimon, you can't just say that." or "That's exactly what I was thinking but would have never said out loud."

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kale posted:

This cutscene is the single most annoying moment of Paimon insisting on explaining everything. This is a big moment in the story, and not a particularly difficult one to understand even if you remove every word Paimon says.

They seem to have gotten better about this over time, which I think is why people have started liking Paimon more: she gets to be more of a gremlin and less of an unnecessary narrator.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Stelle talks pretty frequently though

if only to herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Incoherence posted:

This cutscene is the single most annoying moment of Paimon insisting on explaining everything. This is a big moment in the story, and not a particularly difficult one to understand even if you remove every word Paimon says.

They seem to have gotten better about this over time, which I think is why people have started liking Paimon more: she gets to be more of a gremlin and less of an unnecessary narrator.

nah, they've just replaced it with I'M HUNGRY/I WANT MORA/YOU'RE BEING MEAN TO ME AND I'M THROWING A FIT ABOUT IT, which also sucks and is tedious to read every time