Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Remember when there actually were negotiations of some sort in the first months - and they ended up with the Ukrainian representative gunned down? That episode seems to have been largely forgotten

Hm, I'm pretty sure this didn't happen? You might be conflating two things

There was a weird incident early on in the war when some guy working in Zelensky's admin team at the top level (I think) was apparently gunned down by some other Ukrainians in some heated situation. They said he was actually a Russian agent and a traitor. But then later on some officials said that he was actually a double agent and on the Ukrainian side and the whole shooting him dead thing was an unfortunate accident. I don't know how true that is but it's also the kind of thing which isn't gonna be reliably confirmed by anyone any time soon.

Separately, there was a negotiation that happened between a Russian and a Ukrainian delegation, somewhere north of Kiyv, maybe just inside Belarus or something. The Putin side was a bunch of goons in crisp suits with absolutely no mandate to even start discussing any kind of concession, Ukrainians were headed by the minister of defence and all were wearing their usual "army casual" clothes. The negotiation was something like: Russia: "ok give us literally everything we want and surrender immediately, then we can talk further" vs. Ukraine: "first you will remove all of your army from everywhere in Ukraine including Crimea, then we can talk further". Obviously nothing came of it (and indeed the exact same blockage still applies re negotiations)

Both of these happened within a month or two of the war starting, probably, my memory is a bit hazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1670746525947789313
So does this mean occupiers are now suffering from malaria as well as cholera?

The Kherson Trail: you have died of dysentery.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

jaete posted:

Hm, I'm pretty sure this didn't happen? You might be conflating two things

There was a weird incident early on in the war when some guy working in Zelensky's admin team at the top level (I think) was apparently gunned down by some other Ukrainians in some heated situation. They said he was actually a Russian agent and a traitor. But then later on some officials said that he was actually a double agent and on the Ukrainian side and the whole shooting him dead thing was an unfortunate accident. I don't know how true that is but it's also the kind of thing which isn't gonna be reliably confirmed by anyone any time soon.

Separately, there was a negotiation that happened between a Russian and a Ukrainian delegation, somewhere north of Kiyv, maybe just inside Belarus or something. The Putin side was a bunch of goons in crisp suits with absolutely no mandate to even start discussing any kind of concession, Ukrainians were headed by the minister of defence and all were wearing their usual "army casual" clothes. The negotiation was something like: Russia: "ok give us literally everything we want and surrender immediately, then we can talk further" vs. Ukraine: "first you will remove all of your army from everywhere in Ukraine including Crimea, then we can talk further". Obviously nothing came of it (and indeed the exact same blockage still applies re negotiations)

Both of these happened within a month or two of the war starting, probably, my memory is a bit hazy

This is pretty much how I also remember it; IIRC it was the chief of security who was shot and accused for being a mole. There also was a real concern that the Ukrainian delegation might get arrested the moment they step into the Belarus soil since Russia didn't recognize Ukrainian sovereignty anymore, but at least the Russians weren't that crazy or desperate at that point.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

jaete posted:

Here is a wsj article about that guy

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-spy-or-ukrainian-hero-the-strange-death-of-denys-kiryeyev-11674059395

The story is still murky as hell since the main source is Ukrainian military intelligence, so they would want to present their guy in the best light. He was probably killed in a SBU/GUR internal struggle where SBU definitely looked worse (and, by all accounts, lost).

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

MKULTRA was real but none of the crazy mind control poo poo was.

Hopefully the biolab mosquitos are though

https://www.newsweek.com/cia-mkultra-documents-files-remote-control-dogs-1250519

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

volume warning:

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1670602902031966209?s=20

lol

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dwesa posted:

there was an instance of MTLB filled with explosives from February, but no tank afaik

Thanks, I had remembered this as a bmp and couldn't find it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVagnlM-Ys

all i thought of.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1670898909630148609
At this point they must have most of the fanciest NATO air defence systems.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670880935716302848?s=20

Secret biolabs are putting in some work. That must be the fifth iteration of Budanov at least.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

God almighty they've created Gizmoduck!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dwesa posted:

you'll find that the outbreak among their soldiers is not because of the flood they caused, but because the U.S. is bombing them with mosquitoes

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670722024044392448

this is what our secret ukranian bio labs was working on. weaponized mossies

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1670895127621926915
Of all the stupid ideas they came up with, this one takes the cake

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

zone posted:

Well, they ran out of prisoners. :shrug:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

volume warning:

< tiktok >
lol

what im most curious about is what does the camera mount look like for this

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zone posted:

Reality:

- So where are my VR glasses to do sick FPV drone killstreaks?
- DIG THE loving HOLE

Local buses still have 2021 military recruitment ads with a purple haired gamer that says "LIKE PLAYING TANKS? LEARN TO DRIVE A REAL ONE!!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Moscow's having a huge cook-off to start the summer off right

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

you couldn''t pay me to ride a one wheel

you couldnt pay me even more to ride it into combat

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
if i saw a dude with an automatic rifle solo wheeling at me across an open field i would surrender immediately, you cannot fight that which has no fear or shame

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i would surrender so as to spare myself the humiliation of a death by a one wheeler

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Dwesa posted:

you'll find that the outbreak among their soldiers is not because of the flood they caused, but because the U.S. is bombing them with mosquitoes

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670722024044392448

Yes it was obviously the flood and treating their military horribly, however.

This is a thing THE WEST has actually done and likely will continue to do (in the name of disease prevention, but if you can modify genes one way, it's not hard to imagine the other). As far as crackpot Kremlin theories go I would call this one more realistic than ~biolabs~ abstractly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay I finally watched the tank explosion footage.

What the gently caress did that thing go thermobaric

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Putin, has only got one wheel
The other, is in a Ukrainian field

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

you couldn''t pay me to ride a one wheel

you couldnt pay me even more to ride it into combat

HonorableTB posted:

if i saw a dude with an automatic rifle solo wheeling at me across an open field i would surrender immediately, you cannot fight that which has no fear or shame

Alan Smithee posted:

i would surrender so as to spare myself the humiliation of a death by a one wheeler

Y'all are babies. Beats fuckin walking and those things can go up to 50-60KPH on road surfaces. They own.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Carth Dookie posted:

Y'all are babies. Beats fuckin walking and those things can go up to 50-60KPH on road surfaces. They own.

So how much did that thing set you back?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

So how much did that thing set you back?

mine was about $1200 AUD.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

look we said if we were FIGHTING the guys on solo wheels, not that we HAD the solo wheels. if im a mobik seeing ukrainian nato super soldiers solo wheeling at me im running away as fast as i can throw away my 1930s rifle

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

mine was about $1200 AUD.

good thing you have uni healthcare

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

good thing you have uni healthcare

True.

I've seen people riding these things with no protection in the US and I'm like; welp hope you have good insurance

they don't have good insurance

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670880935716302848?s=20

Secret biolabs are putting in some work. That must be the fifth iteration of Budanov at least.

This Kyrylo Budanov ghola possesses the genetic meme-ories of all Kyrylo Budanovs before him.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lmao. Has anyone seen WarGonzo post lately? There's a big rumor going around right now that he got blasted by Ukrainian SOF in that viral trench clearing video going around. I dunno if I believe it, but lmao if true

A blurry resemblance but...a big ol red neckbeard? Idk

E: WarGonzo account claims he's alive but why's that photo look like it's from winter?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

lmao. Has anyone seen WarGonzo post lately? There's a big rumor going around right now that he got blasted by Ukrainian SOF in that viral trench clearing video going around. I dunno if I believe it, but lmao if true

A blurry resemblance but...a big ol red neckbeard? Idk

E: WarGonzo account claims he's alive but why's that photo look like it's from winter?

We can only hope. At least it was quick for whoever that was. One glance over, "Oh, fu-", done.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

madeintaipei posted:

This Kyrylo Budanov ghola possesses the genetic meme-ories of all Kyrylo Budanovs before him.

Does Duncan Budanov or Kyrylo Idaho have a better ring to it :hmmyes:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Isn't WarGonzo the person who got his foot messed up by one of those Russian small anti-personal mines?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Vaginaface posted:

Yes it was obviously the flood and treating their military horribly, however.

This is a thing THE WEST has actually done and likely will continue to do (in the name of disease prevention, but if you can modify genes one way, it's not hard to imagine the other). As far as crackpot Kremlin theories go I would call this one more realistic than ~biolabs~ abstractly.

It may not be difficult to imagine doing genetic engineering to make mosquitoes better vectors, but that doesn't make it easy to actually do - it's not like you just put the "less disease" genes you've found into reverse twice as hard and bob's your uncle. I'd say it's conceptually similarly absurd to having tens of biolabs on Ukrainian soil doing anthrax research or whatever. what would be the point? even if you did have a way to get them to leave your own servicemen alone, why fart around with mosquitoes' second-order military applications when we have all the first-order-effect M30A1 and ATACMS and other precision munitions we want that don't play "I'm not touching you" with biological weapon bans.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay I finally watched the tank explosion footage.

What the gently caress did that thing go thermobaric

No, but it was a very large explosion. Air at higher pressure can hold less water vapor, so a very large explosion will oversaturate the air to where it can no longer hold the amount of moisture that it has, and you see a cloud condense out of it for an instant, following the shockwave as on either side of the shockwave the pressure allows that level of saturation again. The more humid the day, the "easier" this is to achieve (the less intense a pressure wave you need to see the effect).
anyway please sign my e-petition to have my grant approved to create a football stadium sized cloud chamber like apparatus that will enable me to demonstrate this phenomenon to children.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

god please help me posted:

Isn't WarGonzo the person who got his foot messed up by one of those Russian small anti-personal mines?

Yes it was him.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I think it's part of the conditions of POW exchange that they're kept in a "neutral" country. Exchanged Mariapol Azov POWs are being kept in Turkey if I recall, but I believe they're being well treated and are able to communicate easily with family etc.

Don't know wtf Hungary is doing though.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

god please help me posted:

Yeah.

At the risk of invoking the "no you don't gotta hand it to them" clause, WarGonzo in specific at least backs up his talk with going to the frontlines which has gotten him verifiably wounded once and possibly killed a second time. Which, lol. Lmao.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1671011024894324736
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1671005379126337536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
zaluzhny seen wearing baby yoda, certifiably alive