Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Payndz posted:

Eh, it was okay. Haven't watched it for years, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adjuOPzkpw4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
FX2 had the cue ball kill, right? I love that trap!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

FX2 on the other hand is a masterpiece

You're right, the Fast X sequel should use a less confusing abbreviation, how about FFX-2?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess maybe this can go in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1nfDIJ9kU

It doesn't look particularly good but it could just have some neat fights in it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The other thing about Extraction: Nik needs her own spinoff, she's rad as hell.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been rewatching some of Cinemax's dearly departed Strike Back and I had forgotten how strong their action is. Especially for a tv show its bonkers how well designed most scenes are. We're not talking Warrior or Banshee levels of quality but hey, that's a ludicrously high bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzPP4K9-2dg

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Strike Back is one of my favorite shows and I am due a rewatch. The action rules and you can actually see how weapons/gear evolved as the show progresses thanks to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Also the guy that plays Stonebridge easily has the best pistol handling out of any other actor out there. You can tell he really put in a ton of work

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Edge of Tomorrow is a really good movie. The person who named it is probably sleeping with the fishies. With gabagool.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Corridor Crew guys had a stuntman/director on who was part of John Wick and other big action pieces and he proclaimed his love for digital muzzle flashes and digital blood because it's "so much easier", so we're probably stuck with this poo poo forever.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Corridor Crew guys had a stuntman/director on who was part of John Wick and other big action pieces and he proclaimed his love for digital muzzle flashes and digital blood because it's "so much easier", so we're probably stuck with this poo poo forever.

Considering what happened on Rust, I think that's how things are just going to be. Think of it as just a worker safety measure that's long overdue.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

trevorreznik posted:

Considering what happened on Rust, I think that's how things are just going to be. Think of it as just a worker safety measure that's long overdue.

By this insanely stupid logic Hollywood should have started using nothing but miniatures for vehicle stunts after the Twilight Zone incident.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

By this insanely stupid logic Hollywood should have started using nothing but miniatures for vehicle stunts after the Twilight Zone incident.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/john-wick-filmmaker-chad-stahelski-sequels-oscar-stunt-snubs-firearms-1235343132/

Guys like Stahelski are probably going to lead the phaseout

quote:

My feeling is that there’s no reason to have a live firearm on set. We can create cities and spaceships and Godzilla and all these things. We have the technology to do the same with firearms. But, for the last 100 years, Hollywood’s been using real firearms. And for prop houses, armorers or supply houses to switch over, it would make their entire stock of real firearms useless. It comes down to the fact that it would cost certain people a great deal of money to switch over. No one wants to say that, but that’s the real reason. You don’t need firearms. The alternative is just going to cost you more money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean it makes sense. Clean up time and resets gently caress with everyone and having to do elaborate choreography AND also worry about that squib going off is probably honestly not worth it.

My only stipulation is use blood squibs when you’re not doing cool stunt moves. Idgaf about muzzle flashes. Ban guns period. Use little toys that light up and recoil and eject little plastic bits.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

When done well it's fine and no one should be put at risk when there are viable alternatives to using blanks. My issue with extraction 2 was there are several instances where the muzzle flash isn't lined up properly with the muzzle and it's pretty jaring. It's really noticable in scenes were a SAW or minigun is fired.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I want to make it clear that if they absolutely want to move to digital muzzle flashes I'm much more sympathetic, but if that's the case they need to start figuring out how to make a fake gun that kicks because it looks like poo poo right now.

Digital blood is almost always pure garbage. Do squibs. It may be harder and more expensive but the end result is worth it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
When it's good you don't know it's CGI, and Wick, etc don't distract with lovely effects. Although drat I wish they'd have more gunsmoke.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I want to make it clear that if they absolutely want to move to digital muzzle flashes I'm much more sympathetic, but if that's the case they need to start figuring out how to make a fake gun that kicks because it looks like poo poo right now.

Digital blood is almost always pure garbage. Do squibs. It may be harder and more expensive but the end result is worth it.

Yeah it feels putting the effort into making a practical and entirely safe option is the best compromise. More expensive sure, but there’s definitely a market for this to be developed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

digital blood looks like poo poo, as do computer muzzle effects. spend the money on safety

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

When it's good you don't know it's CGI, and Wick, etc don't distract with lovely effects. Although drat I wish they'd have more gunsmoke.

Yea I think it's worth keeping in mind that all CG blood/muzzle flash effects aren't created equal. When it's lovely it's distracting, I've never felt it was the least bit distracting in any of the John Wick films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It (usually) doesn't look as good but I'm fine with it as a trade-off for the more complicated set-ups you see in movies like Wick. Like anything else it can just be lazy but it's a tool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Raid is one of the greatest action movies ever and they mostly used air soft guns with action essentials plugged in.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

WoodrowSkillson posted:

digital blood looks like poo poo, as do computer muzzle effects. spend the money on safety
lol

Guys ur so dumb if u just put mario AND sonic in the same game it will sell 99999999 copies just DO it omg

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

The Raid is one of the greatest action movies ever and they mostly used air soft guns with action essentials plugged in.

A lot of the Korean action movies use airsoft as well. I think those are fantastic alternatives to real firearms since you can get recoil/slide movement.

I honestly don't mind digital blood that much oddly enough.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cage posted:

lol

Guys ur so dumb if u just put mario AND sonic in the same game it will sell 99999999 copies just DO it omg

the gently caress are you talking about lol

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the gently caress are you talking about lol
You talking about how Movie Industries Company® should do more expensive and harder and complicated things because you're not impressed and had a better idea. It was just funny. :v:

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 20, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cage posted:

You talking about how Movie Industries Company® should do more expensive and harder and complicated things because you're not impressed and had a better idea. It was just funny. :v:

Squibs have literally been around for years so we have a great idea of what they look like vs. digital blood. This is literally people saying "Thing A vs Thing B: I like Thing A". If you're laughing your rear end off at that go ahead and have a ball but it's not very interesting to the rest of us.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like og robocop too but its not gonna take long until the goofy vfx catches up to wick levels.

You guys were less "I like x over y" and more "They should just do squibs"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean when people gently caress up the work with CGI it looks a little silly, and when people gently caress up firearm safety people die.....sooooo yeah, gently caress it. No more firearms on set, seems fair.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Martial arts action > pew pew gun action anyway. Just make action movies like they made them in Hong Kong in the 80's, much safer than guns!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cage posted:

I like og robocop too but its not gonna take long until the goofy vfx catches up to wick levels.

I don't know where that confidence is coming from. Outside of a handful of movies, special effects look worse today than they did 10 years ago.

edit:

Mulva posted:

I mean when people gently caress up the work with CGI it looks a little silly, and when people gently caress up firearm safety people die.....sooooo yeah, gently caress it. No more firearms on set, seems fair.

No more fall stunts or vehicle stunts then either, because people have died from those.

This is a real stupid thing to say but people keep doing it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Digital blood is so they don't have to decide if the movie is PG or R until after they're done filming and marketing runs the numbers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

2 people have died in the last 30 years. 1 in such an insane chain of events that no one was even charged, and one due to blatant neglect. Stunts hurt/kill far more people. We can CGI in fake actors so should we ban all in person fight scenes and stunts?

Sure we can sanitize the process so there is no risk, but at the cost of the medium itself becoming even less interesting. There are countless people willing to take the risks involved to make cool movies, what they deserve is proper protection via regulation. Regulations Baldwin was skirting to avoid the requirements the Brandon Lee incident made mandatory on union film sets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Martial arts action > pew pew gun action anyway. Just make action movies like they made them in Hong Kong in the 80's, much safer than guns!

Some of the best Hong Kong stuff is a mix of both though. Like that movie Tiger Cage that we were talking about a few pages ago, it has one of the wildest shootouts I've ever seen.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sure we can sanitize the process so there is no risk, but at the cost of the medium itself becoming even less interesting. There are countless people willing to take the risks involved to make cool movies, what they deserve is proper protection via regulation. Regulations Baldwin was skirting to avoid the requirements the Brandon Lee incident made mandatory on union film sets.

Yea the main thing was that Rust cut corners and hired an incompetent non-union armorer. Like, there's nothing complicated about what happened on that set. They straight up had live rounds sitting around the set and the gun that was used in the accident had been taken out for target shooting by some cast members to pass the time. Then when it was brought back and they went to use the gun with the live round in it for the scene, they failed to do the proper checks you're supposed to do to make sure that the gun being fired is empty.

It's just not gonna happen like that on any set where you have people who know what they're doing. That's the lesson, the regulations need to be followed because they've been very effective at keeping people safe.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 20, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean I guess it's irrelevant what anyone but those that do the work think, and those that do the work seem to....be getting rid of firearms on set :shrug:

"Your personal safety is getting in the way of my action verisimilitude." is a weird hill to die on, but not the weirdest hill this forum has had. Have fun with it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

HK movies could do martial arts and had real guns. Truly the peak of human cultural development

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

I mean I guess it's irrelevant what anyone but those that do the work think, and those that do the work seem to....be getting rid of firearms on set :shrug:

"Your personal safety is getting in the way of my action verisimilitude." is a weird hill to die on, but not the weirdest hill this forum has had. Have fun with it.

those people are operating in the current context of reduced budgets for things like squibs, blanks, stunt people, safety, etc and so in that context they would rather just say gently caress it and get rid of the hassle and i don't blame them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Teenagers shooting films in their backyard can do squibs, it's not a limiting factor for a 100 million dollar movie. Similarly, thousands of movies made over a century have used real guns firing blanks, it's not a real safety concern unless you're criminally negligent like Alec Baldwin, in which case you should be in prison. Rubber guns with fake muzzle flashes and digital blood look like poo poo and make movies worst. Might as well argue that there shouldn't be stunts in film because we can do cgi now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My gun lust for real guns for killing knows no bounds

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mulva posted:

Squibs don't look like real gunshot wounds so this is a stupid point to make in a conversation that's full of stupid points.

This thread has now turned into the Internet Two-Step:

1) There's no actual difference it what we're discussing (digital looks exactly like real, or if it doesn't it soon will)
2) My opponent's desire has an element of moral degeneracy (oh, so you want to have stuntmen die for your action mans movies?)

So because we're discussing two identical outcomes, and my opponent wants the one that hurts people, I'm a good person and they're bad and I'm right and they're wrong.

gently caress off with this poo poo. So loving tedious that this stupid tactic moved from the realm of political twitter dunking to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
quit gettin' mad about movies

e: wait the fake one-er in Extraction 2 is TWENTY-ONE MINUTES long??

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 20, 2023