Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vic posted:

You know why you have tabs in browsers and not separate browser windows as a default?

I can see what all my tabs are at a glance, and go directly to the page I want. Grouped taskbar entries don't let me do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vic posted:

You know why you have tabs in browsers and not separate browser windows as a default?

Because it make sense. The first browser I used with tabs was in 2000, based on Gecko, before Firefox even existed. I knew from that moment that I would never go back to a browser that didn't have that feature.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can see what all my tabs are at a glance, and go directly to the page I want. Grouped taskbar entries don't let me do that.

The point is all your browser tabs are webpages. You're looking at your browser so it makes sense to display further info. If I'm using more programs at once, I don't want the one with the most windows open cluttering my taskbar pushing the one window ones off.

Having to click a little arrow to display the rest of my windows is something that should never happen.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vic posted:

The point is all your browser tabs are webpages. You're looking at your browser so it makes sense to display further info. If I'm using more programs at once, I don't want the one with the most windows open cluttering my taskbar pushing the one window ones off.

Having to click a little arrow to display the rest of my windows is something that should never happen.

That’s why they had a “combine if full” option.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vic posted:

I never have enough programs open to completely fill the taskbar, so that is simply not a concern for me. Similarly, I never have enough tabs open I can't distinguish between them at a glance. You seem to be advocating for something akin to having a button in the web browser that I have to click or hover over to show all my open webpages instead of tabs for each, which would also suck compared to my normal workflow.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

They want you to press Win+Tab instead is my point.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That’s great but I don’t want to tab through a bunch of windows to get to the one I want when there’s a perfectly good interface method for going directly to the one I want.

I don’t use a shortcut to switch between browser tabs either.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Precisely. I don't see why some find it hard to understand. It's as if you couldn't see your tabs at a glance and had to first hover somewhere to show the tab bar, or press some key combination

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 16, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lets talk about fuckin browers. Why the gently caress does the address bar need to be the full width of the window? The favorites bar should be moved up alongside it. Hell, if it weren't for you savages who have 2000 tabs open all the time, we could have tabs, the address bar and favorites all in one tidy row, maximizing space for the actual webpage. Maybe thats going a lil far, but I've been pulling for the ability to resize the address bar for years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Lets talk about fuckin browers. Why the gently caress does the address bar need to be the full width of the window? The favorites bar should be moved up alongside it. Hell, if it weren't for you savages who have 2000 tabs open all the time, we could have tabs, the address bar and favorites all in one tidy row, maximizing space for the actual webpage. Maybe thats going a lil far, but I've been pulling for the ability to resize the address bar for years.

mozilla lets you do all that poo poo and i'm pretty sure chome also does if you go digging a bit, or maybe with an addon
that said, i dumped favourites entirely in favour of using the address bar like i launch windows apps. just press f6 instead of winkey, type first 1-3 letters, your bookmark is now on top

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't mind the grouped task icons (though neither do I think other people should have to adjust to a completely arbitrary change) but the way-too-subtle new activity flash is completely maddening.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey thread!

I'm looking to upgrade my machine (Intel i9 13900k) and will actually be able to install Windows 11 now. My current machine won't let me for TPM reasons lol.

I have a Visual Studio Ultimate subscription so I can license pretty much any version. and I really don't want to use a Microsoft account to log in or even have one tied to the O/S if I can help it. In other words, I want to use a product key if that's possible.

What's the move here? should I keep the machine off the network like I did when I installed Windows 10? Should I be installing a "for workstations" edition?

If all of the answers to these are obvious I'm sorry and ignore me... I haven't had a lot of time to research yet which isn't my normal MO but figured I'd just post first lol

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least the regular "Professional" edition will still demand that you connect to the internet and log in with an MS account, even if your machine literally does not have any kind of network interface installed at all.
I think maybe if you set up a machine that will OOBE into being domain joined then it won't require you to log in with a cloud account, but I'm not entirely sure. Of course that means you need to set up an AD domain controller, and maybe licensing server too.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If you make the installer USB with Rufus, it has some options that change the installer to let you use a local account. That's what I did

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Good news: MS has heard you and is reintroducing "never combine" for programs in the taskbar!

Bad news: MS is getting rid of the oldschool folder options panel for explorer, and replacing it with far fewer options. Including the ability to show drive letters or un-hide "protected OS files".

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/windows-11-ditches-several-power-user-file-explorer-options-in-newest-preview/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can get on board with removing drive letters if that means moving to a Linux/Mac style mount by name where the names persist, but this is MS so the drive letters will still be there under the surface causing things to break when you run out of them, except with the bonus that you now can't see them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

namlosh posted:

Hey thread!

I'm looking to upgrade my machine (Intel i9 13900k) and will actually be able to install Windows 11 now. My current machine won't let me for TPM reasons lol.

I have a Visual Studio Ultimate subscription so I can license pretty much any version. and I really don't want to use a Microsoft account to log in or even have one tied to the O/S if I can help it. In other words, I want to use a product key if that's possible.

What's the move here? should I keep the machine off the network like I did when I installed Windows 10? Should I be installing a "for workstations" edition?

If all of the answers to these are obvious I'm sorry and ignore me... I haven't had a lot of time to research yet which isn't my normal MO but figured I'd just post first lol

Last time I did it, I had to get around it by opening the console during the installation process and doing... something. I guess killing the network connection? You can probably find a detailed guide, this seemed to work well anyway.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

Good news: MS has heard you and is reintroducing "never combine" for programs in the taskbar!

Bad news: MS is getting rid of the oldschool folder options panel for explorer, and replacing it with far fewer options. Including the ability to show drive letters or un-hide "protected OS files".

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/windows-11-ditches-several-power-user-file-explorer-options-in-newest-preview/

Though (unlike never combine, up til now) all of those will remain accessible via registry keys.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mobby_6kl posted:

Last time I did it, I had to get around it by opening the console during the installation process and doing... something. I guess killing the network connection? You can probably find a detailed guide, this seemed to work well anyway.

Shift-F10, 'oobe\bypassnro', OOBE restarts and lets you through

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks Ants posted:

I can get on board with removing drive letters if that means moving to a Linux/Mac style mount by name where the names persist, but this is MS so the drive letters will still be there under the surface causing things to break when you run out of them, except with the bonus that you now can't see them.
I think the "Show drive letters" option comes enabled out of the box? I can't remember this being a thing I ever had to enable at least.

In which case they're probably just taking away the easy option to hide them. In which case, who the gently caress cares.

Un-hide protected OS files is the annoying one. If you need it, you need it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Un-hide protected OS files is the annoying one. If you need it, you need it.

If you need it, you can use regedit to enable the relevant key.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

If you need it, you can use regedit to enable the relevant key.

And the OS just gets objectively worse, but at least grandma won't be confused when she definitely opens up advanced folder options looking for one of the other options there.

Another home run for Microsoft.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

And the OS just gets objectively worse, but at least grandma won't be confused when she definitely opens up advanced folder options looking for one of the other options there.

Another home run for Microsoft.

this but unironically

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Seriously. The people who actually should be unhiding system files aren’t going to have a problem using regedit; the people who are going to gently caress up their system by deleting important files because incompetent advice told them to? They’re a lot less likely to go through all that.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you're too delicate to open regedit to change a configuration value, you're exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be seeing system files in Explorer.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kalman posted:

Seriously. The people who actually should be unhiding system files aren’t going to have a problem using regedit; the people who are going to gently caress up their system by deleting important files because incompetent advice told them to? They’re a lot less likely to go through all that.

Sorta tongue in cheek, this is why kids don't know how to really do anything with computers anymore.

I got a class of seniors this year, they don't understand anything about their computers and can barely accomplish saving a word document. I have had to deal with "lost" papers before that were just saved to the wrong folder and they didn't really know what folders were, or how to search for files, or how to do anything. This has been a common trend with students that's been getting worse each year. I genuinely believe it's because computers have become so simplified, hiding so much from the user, that no one ever really has to learn how things work to use them for basic things. Things like obscuring drive letters or hiding advanced options to do risky things contributes to this ipadification of computers.

I broke the poo poo out of computers back in the 90s. Constantly. And that's how I learned, you just kinda had to.

This is rant, I am not actually saying it's better for computers to just expose everything to your grandma so one wrong click and she needs to reformat. But, also I think it is a real problem.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Sorta tongue in cheek, this is why kids don't know how to really do anything with computers anymore.

I got a class of seniors this year, they don't understand anything about their computers and can barely accomplish saving a word document. I have had to deal with "lost" papers before that were just saved to the wrong folder and they didn't really know what folders were, or how to search for files, or how to do anything. This has been a common trend with students that's been getting worse each year. I genuinely believe it's because computers have become so simplified, hiding so much from the user, that no one ever really has to learn how things work to use them for basic things. Things like obscuring drive letters or hiding advanced options to do risky things contributes to this ipadification of computers.

I broke the poo poo out of computers back in the 90s. Constantly. And that's how I learned, you just kinda had to.

This is rant, I am not actually saying it's better for computers to just expose everything to your grandma so one wrong click and she needs to reformat. But, also I think it is a real problem.

Yeah but it's not that strange. Most people born in the 50s-70s were and still are computer illiterate. 80s and 90s kids grew up into the time where videogames started being really cool and you had to understand how to operate one to play them or or to do cool stuff. And of those only the nerds know stuff beyond what a folder or a drive letter is. And if you think about it, lots of it doesn't even make sense today and is there because of precedent. Like I've moved folders one into another by accident when my mouse was on the second monitor and "drive letters start with C: because there are two formats of floppy disks"

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Vic posted:

80s and 90s kids grew up into the time where videogames started being really cool and you had to understand how to operate one to play them or or to do cool stuff.

This is entirely what it was for me. Got a computer, got this game Creatures 2 where it came with a little scripting language so you could make objects to import into it and I remember sitting there with my grandma and a copy of "Windows 95 for Dummies" trying to figure out how to download the objects, put them in the right folder (without knowing what that was yet) and import them into the game, then how to write my own. We had to call my uncle up and he taught us how to use winzip over the phone.

Then figuring out how to download RPG Maker 95 games on the Internet and install them. How to get roms working, how to make my own stupid games with my friend in basic, etc. and it just builds up until one day you're one of those unix beard dudes. There's a pipeline, and if we lose that pipeline we're not gonna have unix wizards in the future.

That's why, I'm sorry Dead Goon the weird hacky open source explorer patch broke your computer

Dead Goon posted:

Sent my PC into a never-ending loop of killing Explorer and restarting it, rendering my computer unusable.

I probably didn't read the instructions properly (or at all).

Had to roll back to a system restore point.

But I'm so glad weird hacky open source explorer patches that break computers still exist.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

installing windows off of a brick of floppies, one at a time.
Mom and dad setting a password on the computer to restrict the kids' time using it, and then the kids learning just how hilariously insecure windows handles passwords to get around it.
learning what the specs of your computer actually meant, so you could scavenge upgrade parts
Going from a 33.6k modem to *56K*.
ROMs. So many gameboy and SNES ROMs, because we couldn't afford buying games, and we only had the one phone line.
Ripping bits out of windows to free up memory and cycles to make things run faster.
Ripping out one too many things, and then reinstalling windows from scratch

The day is soon arriving where I will use Linux as my main operating system. Been saying for years that Windows has become something that needs to be sandboxed into its own little 10 GB by 10 GB box where it can't hurt anyone to run the applications that absolutely need it, but have been clinging to 10 for just a little bit longer, while the virtualization and SR-IOV matures a little more... (which it has jumped by leaps and bounds over the past five years)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 19, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I feel like I've come a long way from rebooting the computer if I went in a wrong directory because I didn't quiiiite try .. to go up a level

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BrainDance posted:

I genuinely believe it's because computers have become so simplified, hiding so much from the user, that no one ever really has to learn how things work to use them for basic things.
People simply don't have computers anymore. They use phones.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BrainDance posted:

I compare it to cars. When vehicles were new, you had to know something about engines in order to be able to drive; because they were a new technology, standardized auto shop didn't exist. Fast forward to today, and you can regularly drive a vehicle and know next to nothing about how it works aside from how to drive it.

We grew up in an era when home computers were new, and you had to have specialized knowledge about how computers work in order to use them. Now computers are so standardized, and computer education doesn't teach the hows and whys of computers so much as very specific use cases, that a lot of computer users don't understand basics like directory trees.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shift-F10, 'oobe\bypassnro', OOBE restarts and lets you through

I tried that this weekend on a fresh format and reinstall and it restarted, but still insisted on an online account.

Some googling later it turns out if you use "test@test.com" using password "test" it'll spit out an error on too many attempts and jump to offline account creation.

just fyi

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Were you hardwired to the internet?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The day is soon arriving where I will use Linux as my main operating system. Been saying for years that Windows has become something that needs to be sandboxed into its own little 10 GB by 10 GB box where it can't hurt anyone to run the applications that absolutely need it, but have been clinging to 10 for just a little bit longer, while the virtualization and SR-IOV matures a little more... (which it has jumped by leaps and bounds over the past five years)

This is intriguing to me… if you have time and inclination I’d appreciate more of your thoughts on it. I’ve often considered virtualizing everything but the only thing holding me back was virtualized windows video/3D performance. If that could be mitigated I’d install a Linux hyper visor on the bare metal in a second.
I’d assumed we were close, but haven’t been following sadly.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Is there actual MSFT documentation on all this stuff somewhere that folks can use, or does this turn into having to rely on some windows neckbeard having made a blogpost about it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

This is intriguing to me… if you have time and inclination I’d appreciate more of your thoughts on it. I’ve often considered virtualizing everything but the only thing holding me back was virtualized windows video/3D performance. If that could be mitigated I’d install a Linux hyper visor on the bare metal in a second.
I’d assumed we were close, but haven’t been following sadly.

If you have two GPUs, it's doable right now. Looking Glass is witchcraft that does direct framebuffer copy for low latency VM-in-a-window display.

Otherwise SR-IOV (tech to allow multiple Vms to access the same hardware) is only available on workstation/server model GPUs from Nvidia & AMD. Intel is more permissive, Iris Xe iGPUs can do it and they have some sort of WIP for Arc cards. So mostly you need a dedicated GPU for the windows VM if you want to game in that.

OTOH: I moved to linux on my main desktop a year ago, partly with the plan to buy a 2nd GPU and do that VM stuff for games. Was just going to wait for GPU prices to stop being stupid. Well, GPU prices are semi-reasonable again and I haven't bothered because Proton is also witchcraft and all of my games play extremely well on linux.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think the day I cutover to Linux at home is coming too; I can mostly swing with the weird stuff that Windows is doing and I haven't run into any major workflow issues, but some of it is pretty baffling.

My biggest problem is that gaming is really the primary use of my PC; I enjoy being the target platform and having most things just work, but as mentioned Proton is getting better and better over time and is pretty shockingly good on my steam deck.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

codo27 posted:

Were you hardwired to the internet?

Yeah pulling the cord would have been the next step but fortunately the test login stuff worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

BrainDance posted:

Sorry but this take just isn't it. Accessibility is way more important than any kind of transparency. If computers are "breaking" (ie not being as useful as they could be for a user because of legacy design choices or otherwise) then that's a system design problem, not a tardi user problem.