Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

cock hero flux posted:

fun fact: the lich event is explicitly coded to not allow this: whether it succeeds or fails is determined when you start the project, which will take at least a decade to complete

And that's when you edit the event to always give the player a 100% chance. I've lost track of the number of missions and events I've edited because the requirements were unreasonable/required prior knowledge of the MT/chance-based/straight up broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Save scumming a year isn't a big deal when it's the really huge stuff like that or the magic pregnancy thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Every single free vassalization mission has had a point where the dev forgets to make it possible to refuse if the vassalization target is human controlled. Sometimes this is caught before steam release, sometimes it ain't

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Every single free vassalization mission has had a point where the dev forgets to make it possible to refuse if the vassalization target is human controlled. Sometimes this is caught before steam release, sometimes it ain't

and conversely, every "conquer X" mission has had a point where they forgot to make non-tributary vassals count, requiring you to either wait ages to integrate them or cut them loose so that you can turn around and invade them. I PU'd Corvuria in my Luciande game, where your diplo rep is too low to integrate, requiring me to tank the hell out of my country repeatedly so that I could go to war with a country I already owned

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

atvrager posted:

Oh, I fnished this one last night, too! Castile had a regency for like two years, but no Iberian Wedding, can it even happen if you're peasant republic?

Got some allies early on (tech 4 or 5) to get that snake into France.
Anyways, Castile decided to break our alliance so I merced up to double my force limit to get Madrid and the achievement.
Definitely a fun one!

Since you are locked to a male ruler as a peasant republic, Castile needs to either have a female ruler or a queen regency in order to trigger the event. A regency council doesn't trigger it.

Source: just got it in my current playthrough, was doubly lucky as it was a queen's regency of a female heir. It did take a while to trigger, I remember it taking 1-2 years but this one went over the 120 MTTH, it triggered just before or just after the heir ascended to the throne (so 16 years or close to that).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lostconfused posted:

If you're not save scumming then you're playing Anbennar wrong.

So winning and not needing to save scum is playing wrong? :confused:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is there a way to set home/interest points for units? I'm playing the extended timeline mod they're spotlighting this month, and I've essentially reached the GP warring phase of the game before diplo tech has caught up, so every ten years I bite off another 5% of Rome, have to march deep into the Maghreb from barbarian Europe to do it, and honestly have more work clicking to do to rejoin everyone and get them back into their supplied border/unrest hotspot positions afterwards than I do with the actual war.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

So winning and not needing to save scum is playing wrong? :confused:

You don't need to do anything at all to win, that's not hard or anything.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Anyone know what "have 10 infantry in a cave or surface hold in the tree of stone adjacent to rahen" means? It's part of the Chaingrasper mission tree. Not sure where the tree of stone or rahen is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Anyone know what "have 10 infantry in a cave or surface hold in the tree of stone adjacent to rahen" means? It's part of the Chaingrasper mission tree. Not sure where the tree of stone or rahen is.

Rahen=India. Tree of Stone is the big vaguely triangular mountain region northwest of it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tree of stone is the region of Serpentspine. So you need to have an army of that size in a province that exits out of the mountain into the Rahen region.

For chain grasper Rahen would be the part of the map south of it.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

skasion posted:

Rahen=India. Tree of Stone is the big vaguely triangular mountain region northwest of it.

I found my problem, which was forgetting I had a cavalry unit at the start of the game and figuring my 10 unit stack was enough.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Check out the region map mode

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

You don't need to do anything at all to win, that's not hard or anything.

Didn’t you kool aid man into the thread saying an anbennar was bullshit because you got rolled as gawed?

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I love the ui changes they've made, it makes me wonder if meiou and taxes has taken any advantage of whatever PDS did to make more intricate ui options available

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Didn’t you kool aid man into the thread saying an anbennar was bullshit because you got rolled as gawed?

Yeah, I made some mistakes that first time because I wasn't familiar with some of the basic gameplay stuff. There's a lot less to micro manage and exploit the computer stupidity than Hearts of Iron.

But that doesn't mean that this isn't just another paradox game.

Edit: I'd say HoI4 is a lot easier because the computer is still playing EU4 in that game instead of HoI4.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 20, 2023

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Since you are locked to a male ruler as a peasant republic, Castile needs to either have a female ruler or a queen regency in order to trigger the event. A regency council doesn't trigger it.

Source: just got it in my current playthrough, was doubly lucky as it was a queen's regency of a female heir. It did take a while to trigger, I remember it taking 1-2 years but this one went over the 120 MTTH, it triggered just before or just after the heir ascended to the throne (so 16 years or close to that).

Welp

# Events
- The Iberian Wedding now requires that Aragon and Castile are monarchies.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Lmao the next DLC is 10$ for an podcast you can listen to in-game

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is it a good podcast?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The China History Podcast is a pretty good podcast, though it suffers from a bit of repetition in how the host talks.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

This was a fun one to get, bullying France never gets old.

Notes: 1. A Regent named Marie works for this (even though I have a female heir named Marie ready)
2. I have like 200 aggressive expansion with the HRE, they had a coalition at one point of the entire HRE, Italy, England, PLC, and Scandinavia; outnumbered 3:2, never declared. Just don't worry about coalitions because they never act on them.
3. The Marie you get via event feels like she's coded to live longer, mine lasted until 76
4. I'm currently in the Dutch Revolt disaster and holy crap is it a weak disaster, lmao

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm actually totally down for podcast DLC, as long as it's competently done, and I know the China History podcast is decent at least. $5 for what looks like 4 hours of content isn't bad, especially since it's more directed towards things you'll actually encounter in game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Am I supposed to be kind of broke as Verkal Ozovar? Patronates don’t pay me poo poo, the trade node is a mess, only source of income is production from the hold really. It’s not like a problem for my survival because of the patronate swarm, but it’s gonna take me forever to build all these mage towers.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

skasion posted:

Am I supposed to be kind of broke as Verkal Ozovar? Patronates don’t pay me poo poo, the trade node is a mess, only source of income is production from the hold really. It’s not like a problem for my survival because of the patronate swarm, but it’s gonna take me forever to build all these mage towers.

Once the patronates estate is enabled there's an estate privilege that makes patronates give you money. you are never told that it exists. if you have the estate already, go set it. if you don't, beeline the mission that enables it and then go set it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

Once the patronates estate is enabled there's an estate privilege that makes patronates give you money. you are never told that it exists. if you have the estate already, go set it. if you don't, beeline the mission that enables it and then go set it.

oh gently caress lol

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Detheros posted:

4. I'm currently in the Dutch Revolt disaster and holy crap is it a weak disaster, lmao

It really really is, having seen multiple guides suggesting moving your capital to avoid it, I couldn’t be arsed this time as England > Angevin and it’s a cakewalk. Leave a couple of stacks in northern France/the lowlands and go on your merry way

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It does help that Amsterdam is an insane capital province.

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009
Yeah, I am pretty sure the advice for avoiding it is mostly out of laziness, not concern that it is a hard disaster to deal with. I have avoided more than one disaster purely because I can't be asked to put in the effort of dealing with it, even if it is super easy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it is a bit disappointing that a disaster whose real-world equivalent is called "the eighty years war" is so underwhelming

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

cheetah7071 posted:

it is a bit disappointing that a disaster whose real-world equivalent is called "the eighty years war" is so underwhelming

The Twenty Years Mild Inconvenience

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

mfcrocker posted:

The Twenty Years Mild Inconvenience

The Seventeen Year Itch

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Make the ne t dlc disaster focused. Brand new disasters, Anbennar levels of hosed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my dearest wish for eu5 is for the management of large, diverse empires to be as engaging as conquering them in the first place

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

cheetah7071 posted:

my dearest wish for eu5 is for the management of large, diverse empires to be as engaging as conquering them in the first place

I think there has to be some kind of active internal opposition like in CK to really make it work. Maybe if they took steps to make parliament and internal vassal management more dangerous/complex like managing vassals is in CK.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Imperator had some good steps towards this imo, you had to give some of your land to regional governors that you had to manage, and conquering by subjugating and creating vassal states was easier than taking land directly, but left you with a bunch of internal political elites to manage.

Managing the demands of the noble houses was very boring though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it is too easy for major powers to just, completely subjugate cultural groups that aren't in their group regardless of "acceptance".

If you own the entire netherlands/italy as austria, they probably should be trying to revolt into their own state unless you're giving them frankly absurd levels of autonomy that no player actually would accept

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Once you get large enough you have basically infinite money and manpower to effortlessly crush any rebellion.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looking at some of the insanely brutal anbennar disasters I’ve experienced, they achieve that brutality by having regions immediately break away from your nation, so that it hurts economically as well. (Plus having a free massive army stack of death). Idk, it’s something to look into, as a design space

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The difficulty is balancing disasters to not completely murder you every time if you are going into them blind but still provide a challenge if you aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Make the ne t dlc disaster focused. Brand new disasters, Anbennar levels of hosed.

But it already sounds like the halfling revolt???