Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

The abyss taught me you'd be insta crushed at depth. Might be preferable to feeling all the gas in your blood expand or.whatever happens when you find yourself in a vacuum unprotected

IIRC your blood will (and I guess the rest of the liquids in your body) boil instantly. I think I read it when reading about the space program.

Edit: Huh. Just googled it and this is wrong. You'd black out in about 15 seconds and then asphyxiate

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rogue Elephant posted:

IIRC your blood will (and I guess the rest of the liquids in your body) boil instantly. I think I read it when reading about the space program.

iirc your eyes boil first but your skin protects your blood?

or do your eyes just pop

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling temperature of water. At zero pressure, water sublimates directly from ice to steam, there is no liquid phase. All the liquid in your body instantly boiling is bad for you. I assume your body applies some pressure on the water inside, but your body also has various holes for water to get out, and the other thing about a vacuum is that gasses really really want to spread out into it.

However, at twelve thousand feet below sea level, if your pressure vessel fails catastrophically you'll be destroyed basically instantly. I doubt you'll even be aware that something has gone wrong.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling temperature of water. At zero pressure, water sublimates directly from ice to steam, there is no liquid phase. All the liquid in your body instantly boiling is bad for you.

However, at twelve thousand feet below sea level, if your pressure vessel fails catastrophically you'll be destroyed basically instantly. I doubt you'll even be aware that something has gone wrong.

Yeah I think in either case your consciousness is basically instantaneously vaporized.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

science rules

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

according to television (The Expanse) you die from lack of oxygen before anything else gets you when out in space without a suit

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

according to television (The Expanse) you die from lack of oxygen before anything else gets you when out in space without a suit

if you're about to get airlocked, take a big deep breath of air before the doors open so your chest explodes and you die from the trauma.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM0gJwLJc_A

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

if you're about to get airlocked, take a big deep breath of air before the doors open so your chest explodes and you die from the trauma.

that's brutal and i'm going to assume also good advice because you are a medical professional

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've read that your cardiovascular system would keep your blood pressurized because it's a closed system so it wouldn't evaporate but you're really just taking someone's word for it either way until it gets tested

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

All of this discussion is missing the critical question: if you get pushed out into space, will the pressure differential cause you to poo poo yourself

like you have 15 seconds of consciousness, which is just enough time for your last thought to be 'oh no, i poo poo myself' and then The Void takes you

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Easily avoidable if you just poo poo yourself prior to getting spaced

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
My favorite Hollywood takes on this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJrlCPFSOsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp70vEiAn7E&t=283s

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

yeah i'd definitely poo poo myself while i'm in the airlock

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

I wonder if your epiglottis would seal well enough for this to happen, or if the negative pressure would just violently suck the air out of your lungs, collapsing your chest and occluding or avulsing the great vessels at the point of attachment at the heart.

Either way a pretty :rock: way to go.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The worst way to go is like those poor fuckers on the Kursk.

If I was in a pressure vessel that failed, I just hope it was deep enough and the failure catastrophic enough to make it instantaneous

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GD_American posted:

The worst way to go is like those poor fuckers on the Kursk.

If I was in a pressure vessel that failed, I just hope it was deep enough and the failure catastrophic enough to make it instantaneous

There were three sailors who survived for 16 days trapped underwater at Pearl Harbor before dying.

quote:

In the chaotic aftermath of the surprise Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Olds and two other men would find themselves entombed alive in the hull of the naval vessel settled in the muddy seafloor of the harbor 40 feet below the surface. It would take them 16 days to die.

Sailors recount the following days when men dreaded guard duty that put them within earshot of the sunken battleship and the “desperate — almost tireless — cry for help.” For more than two weeks the banging continued, but crews were unable to get to those making the sound. Drilling a hole in the boat might have caused a “blowout” from the pressure of the seafloor, while oil spilled along the surface of the ocean could have easily sparked an explosion.

It wasn’t until months later, when crews were able to pump out water to partially float and dry-dock the boat that the bodies of the three men were found in storeroom A-111, alongside flashlight batteries, manhole access to a supply of fresh water, and eaten emergency rations.

:stare:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rogue Elephant posted:

Edit: Huh. Just googled it and this is wrong. You'd black out in about 15 seconds and then asphyxiate
Fun, old article about it:

https://www.damninteresting.com/outer-space-exposure/

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There were three sailors who survived for 16 days trapped underwater at Pearl Harbor before dying.

:stare:

This is hell

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hm, yeah. 90 seconds before your blood starts to boil, so that's about how long you can live, although you're unconscious well before that.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Leperflesh posted:

The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling temperature of water. At zero pressure, water sublimates directly from ice to steam, there is no liquid phase. All the liquid in your body instantly boiling is bad for you. I assume your body applies some pressure on the water inside, but your body also has various holes for water to get out, and the other thing about a vacuum is that gasses really really want to spread out into it.

To expand, temperature is an artificial construct. Everything is just pressure. Vapor pressure above the liquid determines the boiling point, not temperature.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh

no, temperature is not an artificial construct, the water has a temperature regardless of whether it's solid liquid gas or plasma

but yes, "boiling" is not connected to temperature (but "freezing" absolutely is)

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Leperflesh posted:

Uh

no, temperature is not an artificial construct, the water has a temperature regardless of whether it's solid liquid gas or plasma

but yes, "boiling" is not connected to temperature (but "freezing" absolutely is)

That's like saying mass exists. It's all energy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Temperature has a lot of different definitions, some of which are meaningless in certain situations. You can even engineer situations where temperature is below absolute zero (negative Kelvin) otherwise you violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

The point is temperature is tricky and full of contrasts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MrLogan posted:

That's like saying mass exists. It's all energy.

I remember my first joint

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

I remember my first joint

I knew someone whose mom was for real one of the leading experts in the philosophy of time and whew, let me tell you how far into the hinterlands you can go there.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Quiet Feet posted:

Please post me a song you have heard recently. I'll start.

https://youtu.be/ormQQG2UhtQ

Saw him play this last year when he opened for Khraungbin. Killer show.

Excited to see Tenacious D and Wilco in September. What upcoming shows do y’all
Have?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Quiet Feet posted:

Please post me a song you have heard recently. I'll start.

https://youtu.be/ormQQG2UhtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKehChI__k

Tracing back to Battleship movie chat: I love that Peter Berg agreed to make the movie for the studio in return for making Lone Survivor, which used this version of "Heroes" by Peter Gabriel during the end credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsvuipGq2ns

I don't love how they made Luttrell's rescue the climax of the movie with some Hollywood action set piece. In reality the Army just drove trucks up to the village & picked him up.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Have?

Kaskade back to back with John Summit in August at Hard Summer LA! :woop:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CWSShotBoard/status/1670915636040544256?s=20

This mfer spent like 30k on jello shots

There’s a bar in Omaha, where the college World Series is, that does a tally every time a teams fan buys a Jell-O shot. Last year the record was broken at around 18k by Ole Miss. LSU just broke it only 2 games in.

tbf $3 of every shot goes to a local charity of the schools but this is so dumb and I love it

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/CWSShotBoard/status/1670915636040544256?s=20

This mfer spent like 30k on jello shots

There’s a bar in Omaha, where the college World Series is, that does a tally every time a teams fan buys a Jell-O shot. Last year the record was broken at around 18k by Ole Miss. LSU just broke it only 2 games in.

tbf $3 of every shot goes to a local charity of the schools but this is so dumb and I love it

The record was broken before LSU's second game even began...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1670926011561807872?s=46

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lol at Oral Roberts fans buying five times as many Jello shots as UVA

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1670152249610326016?t=x9_Mve76z7vIdw8ypUPZTQ&s=19

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

lol at Oral Roberts fans buying five times as many Jello shots as UVA

Well…Oral Roberts is still in it. UVA got booted yesterday but lol yeah ORU has put on a showing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pathetic showing by Florida lol

But they’re in the winners bracket where it loving counts

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly surprised we’re not doing better, we traveled well

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Now make them do shots of Malort.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They're gonna try your rear end in The Hague, Bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Neil Armbong posted:

Have?

Just got My Morning Jacket tickets for Father's Day