Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron von Eevl posted:

There are USB powered rechargeable batteries that are specifically designed for use with audio equipment; they don't have the components that introduce noise built into the battery, they have that in a separate external charger. I'm not aware of anything that lets you use a single battery for multiple pedals, generally you're putting a battery into each one that takes a battery. If it doesn't take a battery, you can use this ridiculous thing that Danelectro built that seems almost entirely useless: https://danelectro.com/product/battery-billionaire/

I ended up getting this cable since it was so cheap

And it seems to work great so far! I might try a daisy chain to see if I can get two or three things working with it. Even just the one is great though. I’m going to blast some more holes in that quarry :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I couldn't get Neural Amp Modeler to work(was using standalone). I was able to load in captures and an IR, and can hear hiss and buzz, but my guitar signal wasn't going through. I went into preferences and selected Asio, and even tried the other settings. I'll try again later and take screenshots if it still isn't working.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 18, 2023

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
If you’re in the market for Mixwave anything, especially the Benson ones. They’re 30% off for Father’s Day and “BENSON20” combines with it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I couldn't get Neural Amp Modeler to work(was using standalone). I was able to load in captures and an IR, and can hear hiss and buzz, but my guitar signal wasn't going through. I went into preferences and selected Asio, and even tried the other settings. I'll try again later and take screenshots if it still isn't working.

Do you get signal in a DAW using the Focusrite without NAM loaded? I hate the software on those FS interfaces but will admit the product support is insanely good.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I hadn't tried a daw yet, but I get signal fine in my standalone amp sims like Gojira, etc. I will try loading Neural Amp Modeler in Reaper later on when I get a chance, but that's annoying and I'd rather the standalone version work.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

Snowy posted:

I ended up getting this cable since it was so cheap

And it seems to work great so far! I might try a daisy chain to see if I can get two or three things working with it. Even just the one is great though. I’m going to blast some more holes in that quarry :black101:

I do this! I have ten pedals that I power with 2 batteries and 2 daisy chains. It works great, with the added benefit of zero ground noise.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

disco_stu posted:

I do this! I have ten pedals that I power with 2 batteries and 2 daisy chains. It works great, with the added benefit of zero ground noise.

Hell yeah :respek: Thanks, I’ll get a longer daisy chain now :)

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

songwriters who've had or been in bands: how do you write out songs to give to people? how do you communicate things like chord rhythm/melody/lead parts/structure?

so far i've been trying to just make jazz lead sheets for it but it's been difficult because i always make some kind of mistake, and it's maybe not the most intuitive format for like, emo songs.

i’m really late here and have more to say about this but i was just at a music camp for nerds where they had an all star session band available for various things and they taught us how to make song charts the band would quickly understand. similar to nashville number system charts which i’m going to start making for my songs, but in this case we used the chord names. here was my chart for example:

measures are assumed to be the full chord, tw chords are assumed to split evenly across a measure, etc… there are ways to notate basically anything. a good session band should be able to play something like this very quickly

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I hadn't tried a daw yet, but I get signal fine in my standalone amp sims like Gojira, etc. I will try loading Neural Amp Modeler in Reaper later on when I get a chance, but that's annoying and I'd rather the standalone version work.

I've only played through the DAW (in Logic) and I wasn't getting any output using the IR they packaged with it, but once I loaded up the one Ola linked to it worked fine. Doesn't look like that's the same issue you're having though.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
here's the first of a few new songs, "Dark Silent Room": https://voca.ro/1fuu3J0Jzqhs

i originally wrote it in E, but that was way too high, so i play it in drop C#. see, it's not just for 90s stuff! my guitar really hates this tuning

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

I've only played through the DAW (in Logic) and I wasn't getting any output using the IR they packaged with it, but once I loaded up the one Ola linked to it worked fine. Doesn't look like that's the same issue you're having though.

Did Ola link to an IR? I only saw the profile of his amp.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

he sells them

https://olaenglundshop.com/products/the-one

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah yeah. I grabbed it to test out later.

The Devin Townsend Fishmans sound pretty good in the Ari, but there is a small issue where certain notes, especially on the 3rd string, have a sort of not pleasant warble if they ring out despite being a single note. The nut is cut too low(although it doesn't open string buzz much) so it might be a weird harmonic thing behind the fretted note. It's nothing you can hear in the video though. I'll test it out later with a fret wrap and see if I can chase the issue down. The previous owner included a couple of nut blanks with it, but I probably don't have all the right size files I need to slot it myself just yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_AbzdjVO8

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hell yeah

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm so lazy/scattered keep putting off fixing the fuckass wiring in my lp to get all the fun stuff working with my hevy devy fishies I put in last year

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks guys, I was in a good mood for the first time in a while because my job has been running me down pretty bad. Then it kind of felt ruined when I posted in the Riffhard discord about it and they just made fun of it saying the guitar has been through hell and stuff like that. The part about the pickup screws poking out the back is unfortunate, but just cosmetic and not really any different than a ding or two. And anytime you buy used guitars regularly, you are guaranteed to come across a low nut from time to time. I don't think those spoiled turds have ever actually had a real beater guitar before.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I'm so lazy/scattered keep putting off fixing the fuckass wiring in my lp to get all the fun stuff working with my hevy devy fishies I put in last year

You should, the part with the mini switch was actually pretty easy. You can do it with push pulls too, but imo the switch is cooler.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Am I the only person who absolutely hates soldering two wires together? everything else is fine but that's just always miserable every single time.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Spanish Manlove posted:

Am I the only person who absolutely hates soldering two wires together? everything else is fine but that's just always miserable every single time.

The first time I opened up a guitar and soldered stuff I felt like a genius, the guitar maintenance thing I hate doing is any bridge adjustment to a guitar with a trem

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Buschmaki posted:

The first time I opened up a guitar and soldered stuff I felt like a genius, the guitar maintenance thing I hate doing is any bridge adjustment to a guitar with a trem

I'm totally fine soldering literally anything, even janky surface mount things that arent' really meant to be hand soldered, but the wire to wire case is always a case of never having enough hands even with the aligator clip thingy with the magnifier on it.

bridge adjustments to a trem is some galaxy brain "think two steps ahead" level poo poo that is reasonably difficult

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My recent method for soldering two wires together is to use a pair of cross-lock tweezers on both wires, which is usually enough weight to keep the wires in place. More or less. Still a pain in the butt though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm totally fine soldering literally anything, even janky surface mount things that arent' really meant to be hand soldered, but the wire to wire case is always a case of never having enough hands even with the aligator clip thingy with the magnifier on it.

bridge adjustments to a trem is some galaxy brain "think two steps ahead" level poo poo that is reasonably difficult

Its probably wrong, but I just twist them together, put some solder over them, fold the bare part back over and put a shrink sleeve over them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just buy a cheap helping hands thing with two alligator clamps. It makes a huge difference.

I decided I might not buy a resonator. I hosed around on my gretsch in open g trying to play slide. It feels like I've never touched a guitar before. When I picked up a bass (I've played a bass before), I felt competent pretty quickly. In open g with a slide, it felt like I've never touched a guitar before. What the gently caress. It's probably best I put that money towards my telecaster build anyway.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 19, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Its probably wrong, but I just twist them together, put some solder over them, fold the bare part back over and put a shrink sleeve over them.

this route and holding them down with heavy objects are the only ways I've ever gotten it to work. I hate butt splicing.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

This is basically right but if you flux and then tin each side individually first it makes it easier.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I soldered long before YouTube and didn't know I was doing it wrong for years as a teenager. Lots of bad/cold joints and melted components before I spoke to my metal stop teacher who showed me proper technique and loaned me a basic electronics book from the 70s that showed me everything I needed to know. YouTube and Amazon makes it so easy now. I had to save up to buy a $100 unit from RadioShack so I could fix my $300 guitar.

I had no idea you're supposed to tin the tip of the iron. I also had no idea what flux was. Once I figured out those things, it became so much easier.

Get a good quality iron with variable heat settings and different tips. The all in one stations are so nice to have with the sponge and steel wool cleaner and they're cheap.

Whatever you do while soldering, never place a similarly shaped tool right next to your iron. I mistakenly picked up my iron thinking I was grabbing my screwdriver without paying attention. The instant pain, sound and smell of burning skin, and how it stuck to my fingers when I tried to drop it ... I'll never forget that. It was my pick hand so I couldn't play for a while because I had huge blisters in my thumb and index finger right where I hold a pick.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes I hate it even though I've had to do it millions of times. To do it right and have it not look ugly takes like 2 minutes instead of 10 seconds (western union splice with shrink tube of the appropriate size) and my ADHD brain hates that.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

yep same more or less.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i had the internet at my disposal because it was all of last year, and i still couldn't figure out how to solder stuff.

probably should have asked faust to show me or something.

it's sort of on my list of stuff to learn eventually now that i know a lot of the ways i hosed up. i had lovely hardware store irons without controllable temperature, so i'd cook parts trying to get them hot enough. and i didn't buy a helping hands or even have a magnifying glass. it was just really stupid all around. the sort of "i just turned 19" stupidity i think.

being able to do my own pickup swaps at like 11 at night or whatever would be nice instead of abusing faust's friendship but hey.

maybe i'll give it another try at some point and just try to like, replace my tele's input jack with one that doesn't lose its hex screw constantly, but idk. at the same time i'm a really scatterbrained individual, and have eternally shaky hands since i was a kid, so, maybe i'm not the soldering type.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i know this is off topic but i don't want to torture the bass thread w my bullshit: i really wish i had the money for that new limited edition mikey way bass :(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

also i know this is off topic but i don't want to torture the bass thread w my bullshit: i really wish i had the money for that new limited edition mikey way bass :(

it's a really cool bass but by the time you have some dosh to get a bass you'll find some weird obscure one that is way cheaper and speaks to you. always happens with those things

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

it's a really cool bass but by the time you have some dosh to get a bass you'll find some weird obscure one that is way cheaper and speaks to you. always happens with those things

yeah. realistically the best bass i could get since i don't plan to do anything with it aside from like, sketch parts on demos, is a good CV pbass and just also spend money on a setup or maybe a pickup replacement.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My next 2 guitar purchases are an Italia Mondial and an Epiphone Coronet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

My next 2 guitar purchases are an Italia Mondial and an Epiphone Coronet

exquisite taste

if money was no object I'd be going for a B&G Little Sister for my next one, I think
I might even move out some of my disused MIM fenders to make that happen

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Devin Townsend Fishmans sound pretty good in the Ari, but there is a small issue where certain notes, especially on the 3rd string, have a sort of not pleasant warble if they ring out despite being a single note. The nut is cut too low(although it doesn't open string buzz much) so it might be a weird harmonic thing behind the fretted note. It's nothing you can hear in the video though. I'll test it out later with a fret wrap and see if I can chase the issue down. The previous owner included a couple of nut blanks with it, but I probably don't have all the right size files I need to slot it myself just yet.

Turns out the issue is I'm just bad at guitar. When I try to play in certain areas, I'm really bad at muting the thick strings, so it was just them being noisy. Same thing happened on my soloist when I tried it.

e: Also apparently the standalone NAM is bugged, at least with Scarlett Solos from what I can tell. It does work in a DAW though.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 20, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Build a few pedals and hundreds of solders later you will be a master.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I can't remember where I found it, but this is the one he used in the video (I think) ... and it's the one I'm using:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e1eyrmj3ldnbjh/Ola.zip?dl=0

His Randall Satan 50 profile is in the zip to in case anyone wants to save time on that.

e: I think I got the IR from a different demo video (not by him) linking out to it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

luchadornado posted:

Build a few pedals and hundreds of solders later you will be a master.

why are you soldering two wires together in a pedal and not on a perfboard or something?

aw poo poo i should have used a small piece of perfboard for it

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I downloaded a free tubescreamer vst to go in front of Neural Amp Modeler(some of the profiles I got for it were a bit lower gain than I wanted), and put the stock Reaper EQ at the end of the chain and got some pretty good heavy Rhythm tones really easily, better than I was getting with Archetype Petrucci earlier when I was messing with it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Shipped 2 guitars to the place I'll be staying and taking my first and favorite as a carry-on tomorrow. Even they make me gatecheck it it's a stratocaster and those are like, indestructible right?