Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

infraboy posted:

First world problems: Ordered my Embody maybe a few days late so i'll have to wait until first week of June to get my chair so now i'm stuck with an Aeron Classic like a poor person for a few more weeks.

I think I prefer the Mirra 2 in the office but I already have a Think at home :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

new thread enemy located

just for future reference was my infraction here not buying an authentic 8000 dollar chair? or referring to a replica disrespectfully? learning and growing

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Not sure what his Eames deal is, but he hates the Logitech variant of the Embody for... reasons? If anything I'd take it as a compliment

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

just let the Eames thing go
no

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zarin posted:

:haibrower:

The value of this thread is not in the journey, but the destination.

If and when you ever have the opportunity to sit in a Not-Gesture, we will finally be able to meet as equals and embrace as brothers.

I owned an Embody before the Gesture and it was never comfortable. Now don't you feel stupid? You should you big dumb dumb.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hey you thread people I’ve been looking for real human recommendations that are viable in 2023 for an Eames knockoff. I’m gonna look at those links and might be in for one. I googled before and it was just pages and pages (i don’t think google does pages anymore it’s infinite scroll) of garbage crap website results. I’m looking forward to sitting on a quality knockoff soon possibly.

Would like a real one but I do other bad purchases instead and don’t have enough income to budget for it.

I’ve gone into Design Within Reach (the only authorized Herman Miller retailer in my area) to sit on the real one and it’s of course fantastic. The building is open design though and the fancy employees come stare at you and ask questions as is their job.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 19, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Duck and Cover posted:

I owned an Embody before the Gesture and it was never comfortable. Now don't you feel stupid? You should you big dumb dumb.

Joke's on you, I'm too dumb to feel stupid.

Also I think that isn't actually true.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zarin posted:

Joke's on you, I'm too dumb to feel stupid.

Also I think that isn't actually true.

Well you can read my post history and I also probably posted a picture of it in the desk thread. Maybe I'm just trying to gaslight you all and trying to hide the truth that the yoga ball is the superior chair. Think about it, bouncy, comes in many colors, affordable.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 21, 2023

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Computer chairs: my yoga ball gives me powerful tanuki energy

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Duck and Cover posted:

Well you can read my post history and I also probably posted a picture of it in the desk thread. Maybe I'm just trying to gaslight you all and trying to hide the truth that the yoga ball is the superior chair. Think about it, bouncy, comes in many colors, affordable.

Well, yoga balls actually are superior because of the yoga ladies that use them

Regardless!

I was memeing and did not intend to negate your lived experience!

The only reason I currently own an Embody is that it did not fit the physiology of a close friend.

Additionally, I am very much a proponent of "find the chair that fits you" and I think my post history here supports this.

In retrospect, I was running an age-old joke into the ground with that post and that comedy well is probably quite dry at this point.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

spoke too soon and may need to return the embody as well. loved the feeling of the backrest, but I can't seem to find a single position that actually distributes my weight evenly across this seat. it all goes to my legs, and my hamstrings get sore as gently caress after a full day. i hate chairs

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

secret volcano lair posted:

spoke too soon and may need to return the embody as well. loved the feeling of the backrest, but I can't seem to find a single position that actually distributes my weight evenly across this seat. it all goes to my legs, and my hamstrings get sore as gently caress after a full day. i hate chairs

Just to double check, have you tried changing the length of the seat by unrolling it/rolling it in as appropriate?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

tehinternet posted:

Just to double check, have you tried changing the length of the seat by unrolling it/rolling it in as appropriate?

yeah. I have long legs so I had it fully extended, but I tried it shorter and it doesn't seem to make a difference. feels like an angle issue, or maybe my butt sinks into the seat more than my legs

probably gonna try an Aeron since those worked fine for me in the past

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

secret volcano lair posted:

yeah. I have long legs so I had it fully extended, but I tried it shorter and it doesn't seem to make a difference. feels like an angle issue, or maybe my butt sinks into the seat more than my legs

probably gonna try an Aeron since those worked fine for me in the past

I'm wondering if you don't need to lower the chair a tiny bit or something so the pressure on your hamstrings eases up

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Is the Mirra 2 still the go-to recommendation for all-mesh chairs? I'm getting ready to retire my Leap and I definitely want to go mesh this time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

fatman1683 posted:

Is the Mirra 2 still the go-to recommendation for all-mesh chairs? I'm getting ready to retire my Leap and I definitely want to go mesh this time.

The Mirra2 is a pretty quality option, yeah. My brother loves his.

Aeron is also good, if you can deal with the seat pan.

I have a Cosm - a solidly A-tier chair - but don't use it much now that I have acquired an Embody (apparently, the reigning champion for S-tier chairs).

I think the Celle would also fit the bill, but in the time I used them they did seem to encourage taking a short break and walking around after 4 hours or so. Probably a bit weaker option than anything listed above.

I used a Quantum WorkPro 9000 or whatever the current OfficeMax version of that is, but it didn't stand the test of time and eventually had to be retired (in a dumpster). It was reasonably decent for 3-4 years or so, but I wouldn't get one again.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hullo thread.

I just got myself an Ikea Matchspel, so that I can get some attachments to mount flight sim controls to it. It feels comfortable, but if I sit in it for long enough my back starts getting sore, followed by my stomach.

What gives? Do I need to adjust it differently? Just not the chair for me? It's forcibly correcting my crappy posture by making me sit up straight?

I do think I have crappy posture. If I relax everything, my back bends forwards and my stomach sticks out, kind of like ) facing right. If I concentrate and stand up straight, and push my back out, it's more like | . The muscles I use to do that are the ones that feel tired and sore this morning from sitting in that chair yesterday.

I sort of want to hang on to the chair so that A: I've finally got something compatible with the flight sim attachments I want (it's been a long search), and B: if sitting in it will fix my posture and strengthen my core muscles that's a good thing, right?

edit: actually it feels a lot like I've been sitting on a gym ball

Is this a dumb idea? Should I take Ikea up on their 365-day returns policy? :/

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 1, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatman1683 posted:

We have the Mirra 2 in the office together with the older Please and I have a Think at home. I can't really say I prefer the mesh itself, but I do find it a bit more comfortable for the butt to sit on. Reclining seems to take more force which is annoying. In terms of quality they've been all very solid.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Zarin posted:

The Mirra2 is a pretty quality option, yeah. My brother loves his.

Aeron is also good, if you can deal with the seat pan.

I have a Cosm - a solidly A-tier chair - but don't use it much now that I have acquired an Embody (apparently, the reigning champion for S-tier chairs).

I think the Celle would also fit the bill, but in the time I used them they did seem to encourage taking a short break and walking around after 4 hours or so. Probably a bit weaker option than anything listed above.

I used a Quantum WorkPro 9000 or whatever the current OfficeMax version of that is, but it didn't stand the test of time and eventually had to be retired (in a dumpster). It was reasonably decent for 3-4 years or so, but I wouldn't get one again.

What's the issue with the seat pan on the Aeron? I've never sat in one.

mobby_6kl posted:

We have the Mirra 2 in the office together with the older Please and I have a Think at home. I can't really say I prefer the mesh itself, but I do find it a bit more comfortable for the butt to sit on. Reclining seems to take more force which is annoying. In terms of quality they've been all very solid.

Can you elaborate on what you don't like about the mesh?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I do find it a bit more comfortable for the butt

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo thread.

I just got myself an Ikea Matchspel, so that I can get some attachments to mount flight sim controls to it. It feels comfortable, but if I sit in it for long enough my back starts getting sore, followed by my stomach.

What gives? Do I need to adjust it differently? Just not the chair for me? It's forcibly correcting my crappy posture by making me sit up straight?

I do think I have crappy posture. If I relax everything, my back bends forwards and my stomach sticks out, kind of like ) facing right. If I concentrate and stand up straight, and push my back out, it's more like | . The muscles I use to do that are the ones that feel tired and sore this morning from sitting in that chair yesterday.

I sort of want to hang on to the chair so that A: I've finally got something compatible with the flight sim attachments I want (it's been a long search), and B: if sitting in it will fix my posture and strengthen my core muscles that's a good thing, right?

edit: actually it feels a lot like I've been sitting on a gym ball

Is this a dumb idea? Should I take Ikea up on their 365-day returns policy? :/

It does sound like you have awful goon posture and any decent chair is gonna have that effect on you.

I'd suggest side planks and superman's for a few weeks, see if it helps. It's a 365 return policy then you have got a little time.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mega Comrade posted:

It does sound like you have awful goon posture and any decent chair is gonna have that effect on you.

I'd suggest side planks and superman's for a few weeks, see if it helps. It's a 365 return policy then you have got a little time.

Good to know!

Does that mean I could just, well, sit in the chair to work the relevant muscles? And at some point it'll simply stop being sore to do that, once those muscles have developed?

(With taking breaks, I mean, I'm not going to be stupid about it)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatman1683 posted:

What's the issue with the seat pan on the Aeron? I've never sat in one.

Can you elaborate on what you don't like about the mesh?
It's not that I don't like it, but I don't feel like it makes much of a difference. At least vs the Steelcase chair, where the fabric is very thin and breathable anyway, if that's the concern.

Also the Mirras don't have a headrest. Not sure if it's optional, but I miss being to just fully fall back sometimes.
I think it's more the shape of the seat, on the Think it feels like (though it might not be ) it's angled forward slightly and I need to make an an effort to stay in place. Might be a perception though.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not that I don't like it, but I don't feel like it makes much of a difference. At least vs the Steelcase chair, where the fabric is very thin and breathable anyway, if that's the concern.

Also the Mirras don't have a headrest. Not sure if it's optional, but I miss being to just fully fall back sometimes.

Yeah my issue with the Leap isn't that it isn't breathable, but that I'm a sweaty betty and after a year my seatback was already stained. I started using a cover but that's not an ideal solution. I'm looking for something that will be easier to keep clean in the long term.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Hello thread. I've been rocking a leap v1 for the past 3 years. But the cylinder went, so I bought a new one for $40.

I'm not sure how to describe the part that is loose, other than as the female receptacle for the cylinder on the bottom of the seat. It's not supposed to spin with the cylinder, but mine does, so there's no way to twist and remove the cylinder. It's a thin piece with a small gap around it, so I can only grip it with needle nose pliers.

Tried to WD-40 it and hold the loose piece with the needle nose and turn the cylinder with larger pliers and can't get it go.

Any bright ideas on how go about this?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

TenementFunster posted:

the first question anyone who knows what an eames lounge is and would be impressed by it asks will always be “is it real?” the asker will always look displeased regardless of your answer, because let’s be honest, only dickheads buy these things.

i couldn’t even get one out of the delivery crate and up the elevator without some dork peeking under the ottoman to see if it had the Official Eames Medallion of rear end in a top hat Authenticity

also, they aren’t very comfortable. it’s a glorified cat bed that costs as much as a low-mileage 2017 Toyota Camry

Is this a common opinion, that they aren't comfortable? I am totally willing to accept that, is there a commonly available alternative? I literally just want somewhere really comfy to read, and spending a grand on a replica aimes seemed reasonable as you can spend a grand on a chair (let alone one with the leg stool or whatever) without breaking a sweat.

I literally could not care any less about the pedigree of the chair. We do fine and have plenty of toys, if anything people would just assume it was real. I always thought that was a funny part of money; if you can afford something genuine people will usually assume its genuine. If people will ask questions about it to that extent, it is probably too gauche to exist in your house anyways vs. your other belongings.

I just don't feel like paying that much money for a chair, that's all it is at the end of the day.

canyoneer posted:

Really awesome words about leather

First of all Canyon I really appreciate your take on leather! I do enjoy leather, or at least, am an rear end in a top hat about it, in the sense that I own numerous shell cordovan pieces from wallets to watch bands to even a lighter holder (the last one was admittedly really frivolous).

I will definitely consider the premium leather. Our cat just got a 10 grand medical bill (and he's not even better) so turns out this is a moot point for now, but I really do appreciate the thoughts.

Taima fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 12, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fatman1683 posted:

i’ve not had any experience with the mirra but what the gently caress is up dude?!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got a Secretlab Titan Evo last year in march and it's been pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like I fell for GAMER marketing. I'm finding things about it not able to adjust the way I want, the swivel on the chair is starting to make creaking sounds, and just in general I think maybe it's already breaking down. Fwiw, I wasn't paying attention and bought the Regular version instead of the XL version and I'm a big lardass so I might just be over-stressing the chair. I was looking at the Logitech themed Herman Miller Embody, but if Secretlab is actually a decent brand and I just bought the wrong model for my weight, then I'd probably rather save the ton of money and get an appropriate one of them.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 19, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Branch Nvidian posted:

I got a Secretlab Titan Evo last year in march and it's been pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like I fell for GAMER marketing.
lol yup

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Found a Steelcase leap v2 in a garbage bin, in my buddies alley today. Ordered a new cylinder because that looks like all it needs other then a vacuum and some cleaning.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
This is your periodic reminder that mesh chairs are real dust traps and it’s probably past time you took a damp cloth to all the hard to reach bits

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My embody arrived after about a month after ordering. For about 1288$ on sale it's a relative long term bargain when it has the 12 year warranty. Enjoying it so far once you have it set the way you like it. Only minor minor complaint I have is that it doesn't recline as far as the Aeron did. Was playing Diablo 4 for hours with little fatigue.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That packaging is definitely top tier for office furniture

Anyone else patiently waiting the Atlas headrest for their embody?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

After sending back both a Steelcase Gesture and a Gamer Embody, I ordered a boring old size c Aeron (no lumbar support) and after a week it's perfect for me. I guess I'm not cut out for the gamer life

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Anyone else patiently waiting the Atlas headrest for their embody?
no

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Honestly, same on the no. I never once got the whole "we want a head rest on the embody" thing. I've never once felt like it needed one, ever.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Honestly, same on the no. I never got the whole "we want a head rest on the embody" thing. I've never once felt like it needed one, ever. The whole point of the chair is that your spine and neck aligning properly is your head rest.

The Embody is made to not use a headrest so not to be a weird about it but if you feel like you need a head rest, you might not be aligned in it right? Just something to consider, do what makes you feel good.

infraboy posted:

My embody arrived after about a month after ordering. For about 1288$ on sale it's a relative long term bargain when it has the 12 year warranty. Enjoying it so far once you have it set the way you like it. Only minor minor complaint I have is that it doesn't recline as far as the Aeron did. Was playing Diablo 4 for hours with little fatigue.

Ok maybe I'm just not seeing the angles here (get it) but I've never wanted to recline even close to as far back as it lets you either. In fact I recently kicked the recline tab on accident, got thrown way back and went "wow this is so uncomfortable and weird".

Idk. I just feel like the embody has a really specific thing it wants you to do with it. It doesn't want you to recline too much nor does it want you to support your head. Like... the entire goal of the chair is that you're aligned from top to bottom in it along the curvature of your spine. That feels like the entire gimmick of the embody. Literally everything I enjoy and appreciate about the chair stems from that alignment and more specifically, how the spine curvature mechanism in the chair back really allows you to intentionally dial that in.

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 22, 2023

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

What if two decades of use has made my spine curvature the exact shape of an Aeron when slumped into?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Same on the "no" as well.

This is only the second chair I have ever used where I did not wish for a headrest. Even the Aeron was better with one in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Branch Nvidian posted:

I got a Secretlab Titan Evo last year in march and it's been pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like I fell for GAMER marketing. I'm finding things about it not able to adjust the way I want, the swivel on the chair is starting to make creaking sounds, and just in general I think maybe it's already breaking down. Fwiw, I wasn't paying attention and bought the Regular version instead of the XL version and I'm a big lardass so I might just be over-stressing the chair. I was looking at the Logitech themed Herman Miller Embody, but if Secretlab is actually a decent brand and I just bought the wrong model for my weight, then I'd probably rather save the ton of money and get an appropriate one of them.

Not sure if you're actually past the "weight limit" for the chair or just close to it, but I suspect that even those come with some healthy engineering tolerance built into them. At least, I know I've been "over limit" for some chairs and never had an issue.

One thing to consider is that how hard people sit down from standing can really gently caress chairs as well. I had a buddy that would routinely just ruin office chairs and yeah, he was a big dude for sure, but I wasn't a small dude by any stretch and didn't have 1/10th the issues he did. He was just like "idk maybe it's just because I'm big and lean to the side too much" but then one day I saw him actually sit down in the chair and it was almost a picture-perfect re-enactment of the Chicxulub Impact Event.

Anyway, I don't think you'll find too many people in here recommending SecretLab. Personally, I WANT them to be the "gamer brand but makes actually decent stuff" because I kinda like the look of their chairs and I've always been intrigued by the tilt mechanism they use, but I feel like trip reports in the thread have not exactly borne that out.

As an Embody Haver, if you have Embody Money, you should probably go for it. If you DON'T have Embody Money, then you should see if you can't find a used Embody :v:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 23, 2023