Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
King Crab would have to be one of the three big mascot Mechs at this point for the franchise, no? KC, Atlas, Mad Cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

GD_American posted:

King Crab would have to be one of the three big mascot Mechs at this point for the franchise, no? KC, Atlas, Mad Cat?

Whenever the falconer is out of frame everyone goes “where’s falconer? I want to see more falconer”

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can't say that until you've been the star of a core rulebook cover.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dr. Lunchables posted:

*Opinions vary on which non-Charger mechs are turd-rear end stinkers.

The Blackjack will always sell for less because Catalyst released more variant scults for it than any other 'Mech. The Timberwolf will only *just* catch up in number of variants with the Bounty Hunter's Timber Wolf in Legendary Mechwarriors III, once the mercenaries kickstarter ships.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

GD_American posted:

Has to be. My partner loves it so much she keeps dropping hints she wants a huge one for her birthday. I'll always think of the Mad Cat myself, mechwarrior was my way into BT and the Mad Cat was all over those games.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
i'm trying to teach myself HTML at age 3X and wanting to do more with my mercenary company, so I'm making them a webpage!

https://www.grevlek.net/battletech/wellingtonswarhounds.html

hopefully start playing some games with an in town buddy/goon in the next few weeks, and I can update their duty log with the various combats they get into. literally cannot wait to write fanfic about my ttrpg/board game.

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 18, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

You can't say that until you've been the star of a core rulebook cover.
Real fukkan weird position for the Crusader of all things to be in.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We spent 40 years thinking the Crusader was the silhouette on the record sheet, then they took it away. Let him have this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:hmmyes:

The Viper is at least an extremely cool mech.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grevlek posted:

i'm trying to teach myself HTML at age 3X and wanting to do more with my mercenary company, so I'm making them a webpage!

https://www.grevlek.net/battletech/wellingtonswarhounds.html

hopefully start playing some games with an in town buddy/goon in the next few weeks, and I can update their duty log with the various combats they get into. literally cannot wait to write fanfic about my ttrpg/board game.

Don’t feel bad, my Star Wars flightsim group has been doing it for over 20 years (and yes we have our own webpage).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arquinsiel posted:

Real fukkan weird position for the Crusader of all things to be in.

All the Unseen are iconic as gently caress for grogs like me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If we wanted to start playing in the ilClan era is the best way just use the master list and sort by available in that era? Follow up question can you mix clan and inner sphere mechs in the same lance?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Len posted:

If we wanted to start playing in the ilClan era is the best way just use the master list and sort by available in that era?

I wouldn't say it's the best way, but it's a way you can do it. Like the Lyran Commonwealth has 645 different mechs on that list for the ilClan not counting things on IS general, you might as well just use anything you want. My recommendation is grab the RAT of a faction you like, roll up a dozen or so units and pick your lance from there.

quote:

Follow up question can you mix clan and inner sphere mechs in the same lance?

The game doesn't care. It would be pretty weird for some units, story-wise, but BT's core rules really only care that your opponent agrees to what you field.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Len posted:

Follow up question can you mix clan and inner sphere mechs in the same lance?

If you’re playing by era availability, past a certain point this is viable. Some Clan mech filtered into even mercenary availability by the end of the Republic of the Sphere.

My merc company for alpha strike, I like to think of them as trying out the various organizational methods for mechs. Sometimes it’s a lance, sometimes it’s a Star, some days they get wild and want to try a Level II just to see what all the fuss is about. Either way, it’s all a mix of Clan and IS tech, I just (try to) limit it to era and faction availability.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Len posted:

If we wanted to start playing in the ilClan era is the best way just use the master list and sort by available in that era? Follow up question can you mix clan and inner sphere mechs in the same lance?

There are no rules for force building other than what players agree upon. It's up to you to decide on any restrictions with the other players.

For the most basic types of games, people usually just pick a BV limit and then just throw together whatever they want within that limit. In those games it's okay to mix Clan and Inner Sphere however you want.

If you want to play a thematic game in a particular era, then I recommend sorting by both faction AND era (click on "Factions", then select a faction, then select an era) and pick anything you want from that list. In the ilClan era, many IS factions have access to Clan equipment and vice-versa so go nuts picking whatever you want as long as it's on that faction's list.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

And if you really want to go down the path of "sci-fi historical"/madness, you can get more detailed than that if you're really into the lore. You can do research on which military units favor which weight classes or weapons or have good/bad relationships with the quartermaster or have wealthy backers or who are known to use lots of domestic/imported equipment, and choose units that are even more plausible than that. You can also figure out what designs are common or rare based on how big/small the production runs were or because they use pieces of equipment that are common/rare among the faction or because they salvage a lot of them from a particular foe or whatever.

How deep I get into the lore when I build my forces depends on how I'm feeling. I always like to hold myself to some restrictions because I like the theming and because it limits the decision space a lot (the game has an awful lot of units to pick from, after all), but sometimes I like to build lore-accurate forces and sometimes I like to kick back and just take cool stuff, like my current favorite thing, the CES-5D Caesar that was never actually built in-universe.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You can make it easy on yourself by playing Cochraine's Goliaths or Miller's Marauders

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

2nd Lyran Guards, you can be any size force as long as it has a 2:1 ratio of Firestarters to Hunchbacks and also literally no other units are allowed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Would it make more sense to just sort by things in the ilclan recognition guides?

I guess this would make more sense if I knew anything at all about the lore side of battletech

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not having a clue about the lore is a valid playstyle. Don't worry about it if you don't want to play that way.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is the trebuchet 5N good in tabletop? Its heat management seems decent but if it ever needs to jump it seems like it immediately goes in the dumpster.

Debating signing up for an event with randos. 15k BV with random objectives, up to 12 units total and faction specific in the year 3061.

12 chargers sounds fun but I don't think would do very well

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Is the trebuchet 5N good in tabletop? Its heat management seems decent but if it ever needs to jump it seems like it immediately goes in the dumpster.

5N is a 5/8/0 Mech, unless they've changed it since my copy of TRO:3025.

Treb is a solid 3025 Mech, problem is it's got two distinct sets of weapons, and if you try to get to that golden 5-6 hex spot where you can use both, you're going to overheat immediately.

Either go with the 5J (basically a Super Valkyrie) or a 5S ( a Super Commando)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arquinsiel posted:

Not having a clue about the lore is a valid playstyle. Don't worry about it if you don't want to play that way.

Yeah we're having a lot of fun playing it just makes it hard for me to understand what exactly I have to pull from. I'm used to other games with set factions and codex books so it's been hard to get my head around things

Our last game was a blowout. Turn two I double headshot his hunchback with headshots and that kind of set the tone for the rest of the game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah I must've been thinking of the 5j or 7m because I had 5/8/5 in mind. Thanks! I figure a bunch of speedy mechs will be important for capturing objectives/ getting to long toms that need to be attacked.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Debating signing up for an event with randos. 15k BV with random objectives, up to 12 units total and faction specific in the year 3061.

12 chargers sounds fun but I don't think would do very well

Having fun is the real objective, take the 12 Chargers

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would do that if I'd played with these people before. Or played much tabletop at all. It got costed out and it would be 11 4/3, 1 2/0. Could make a few 5/3s to get an SPA for the 2/0

But 1 6 hour game and someone having to play against 12 chargers :bang:

There are some rules I don't know out of the battlemech manual and tac ops that will be in play too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

What's the opposite tack? Most expensive single units by BV?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Minimum 4 mechs in the total force, forces have to be complete lances/stars/comstar things. So I guess 3 stingers and use the 1 allowed out-of-faction unit to be some 0/0 clan monster with 6 PSAs

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The most expensive mech in that era is the Blood Asp A clocking in at a mighty 3452 BV with a 4/5 pilot. You can’t even field a full star of them without one pilot being real bad :(

Edit: Sorry, dunno how I missed it but it’s actually the Dire Wolf C at 3610 BV with a 4/5 pilot

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 19, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Len posted:

Would it make more sense to just sort by things in the ilclan recognition guides?

I guess this would make more sense if I knew anything at all about the lore side of battletech

If you don't know anything about the lore, do you really care if you're using era-appropriate units?

Legitimate question, not trying to be insulting or anything. If you don't know and don't care about the lore then it's perfectly permissible to just take whatever you want. You don't have to think or care about making a force that makes sense in-universe if you don't want to.

But if you do care about building a lore-coherent force, you still don't really need to know much about the lore. You can pick a faction that has a cool name or cool logo or which is associated with a particular unit you like and then just go from there. You can explore a few different lists on the Master Unit List until you see one that has a bunch of things you are interested in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BattleMaster posted:

If you don't know anything about the lore, do you really care if you're using era-appropriate units?

Legitimate question, not trying to be insulting or anything. If you don't know and don't care about the lore then it's perfectly permissible to just take whatever you want. You don't have to think or care about making a force that makes sense in-universe if you don't want to.

But if you do care about building a lore-coherent force, you still don't really need to know much about the lore. You can pick a faction that has a cool name or cool logo or which is associated with a particular unit you like and then just go from there. You can explore a few different lists on the Master Unit List until you see one that has a bunch of things you are interested in.

Mostly I care because I don't want to accidentally end up bringing modern weapons to the revolutionary war era. I know the farther you get along the timeline the fancier weapons and mechs get so it's mostly to make sure we're on an even tech footing. Or does that not matter as much as I think it does?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In my experience a lot of people saying "I don't know much about X" are trying to ask for information about X and answers consisting of "You don't have to know about X" are factually accurate and well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful.

Len posted:

Yeah we're having a lot of fun playing it just makes it hard for me to understand what exactly I have to pull from. I'm used to other games with set factions and codex books so it's been hard to get my head around things

Setting the Master Unit list to IlClan era availability will get you every unit that has that information. You can further limit by factions but this by itself will give you a lot of what you're looking for. There are no hard and fast rules about what is and isn't allowed, but by the 3150s no one is going to bat an eye if a quarter of your Lance is Clantech or 40% of your Star is IS tech, and even the groggiest grog can gently caress off if you want to bring a full Lance of Clantech Heavies. That might be unusual in most places but it's sure as hell not impossible or even close.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Len posted:

Mostly I care because I don't want to accidentally end up bringing modern weapons to the revolutionary war era. I know the farther you get along the timeline the fancier weapons and mechs get so it's mostly to make sure we're on an even tech footing. Or does that not matter as much as I think it does?

It doesn't matter as much as you think it does. BV generally does a pretty good job of keeping things even, even across tech levels. Equivalent BV of bleeding edge Clan monstrosities is going to be hilariously out massed, out numbered, or both.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The correct answer can always be "this is a mercenary unit"

"You said you were lyrans."

"No. Mercenaries fighting for the lyrans"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

"how did you end up with an Osprey LAM then"

"See, what had happened was-"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ilmucche posted:

I would do that if I'd played with these people before. Or played much tabletop at all. It got costed out and it would be 11 4/3, 1 2/0. Could make a few 5/3s to get an SPA for the 2/0

But 1 6 hour game and someone having to play against 12 chargers :bang:

There are some rules I don't know out of the battlemech manual and tac ops that will be in play too.
This is starting to sound like a certain London-based event runner's scenario.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Len posted:

If both players take a force with a similar BV (Battle Value) total and a similar number of units, the fight is going to be as close to balanced as this game gets regardless of what tech level is being used by either side.

Better weapons, better armor, better mobility, better whatever have a BV premium associated with them. There are plenty of weapons in this game that are strictly better than others (like most Clan things compared to most Inner Sphere things) but the BV cost of those of those is usually proportional to how much better they are. So that better gear comes at a real cost.

Note, however, that I also said "similar number of units." There are some truly insane units out there that have very high BV costs and are one for one better than many things with lower BV costs. However, if one player takes an insane 4000 BV 'mech and the other takes two 2000 BV 'mechs, my money would be on the guy with two 'mechs.

So it's pretty important to set both a maximum BV total and a maximum number of units for a game. But other than that, you should feel free to take whatever strikes your fancy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

In my experience a lot of people saying "I don't know much about X" are trying to ask for information about X and answers consisting of "You don't have to know about X" are factually accurate and well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful.

No one said "you don't have to know about X" by itself.

I said that you don't necessarily need to know the lore to build a fair and balanced force, but I also explained how to sort by era and faction and offered what is IMO one of the best ways to get into the lore, picking a faction with a 'mech or name or logo that strikes your fancy and going from there.

edit: Like yes, I get that the universe is surprisingly deep and sometimes nuanced, but fundamentally it's about fights between giant robots so starting from that angle and gradually learning more about the people who use the robots you like is a great way to not get overwhelmed by how much lore there is.

And also, I think it's important for people to know that not caring about the lore is just as legitimate as caring about the lore, because fundamentally it's a game about giant robots fighting each other. I love the lore myself and I think it's important that the designers and writers also have a lot of respect for it to keep things coherent, but people who just want to have giant robots shoot at each other don't need to care.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 20, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

+n to literally the only wrong way to build is to pull from the "future."

Hell, coming up with a highly improbable but not impossible story justifying your lance of Mackie, urbanmech, daishi, and dominator is half the fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

You can pick a faction that has a cool name or cool logo [...] and then just go from there.

my plan: look at this cool logo, ignore all associated lore, make a lance where all units must have an axe and/or be mostly legs by proportion

hachetman, catapult, and then two others idk