Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

That looks... deep. And it sounds horrible from start to finish. At least I've managed to stay mostly dry.

Finally got some plumbers to call me back, the first outfit just left. They're going to price out the copper before sending me a quote. But they did hook me up literally with a way to bypass the leak and keep my water running in the house. Why didn't I think of that?!?

Why didnt we think of that? Some traumasquad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Epitope posted:

Why didnt we think of that? Some traumasquad

Stockholm syndrome?
Dig up stupid - the Simpsons ?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

spf3million posted:

I'm about to turn 37 years old and I just completed the purchase of my first house! I'm excited to be a future participant in this thread.

:negative:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m not a homeowner for another month but I’ll be a proud SAHoT THOT

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Someone make a gang tag, obv.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lol oops

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I'm about to turn 37 years old and I just completed the purchase of my first house! I'm excited to be a future participant in this thread.

spf3million posted:

Plumbing seems good
:negative::negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Hadlock posted:

That is some kind of quick set spray or something that goes on as the last step of pouring concrete in some areas. Looks pretty new yeah, they may have poured that a couple months before listing the house

???

That looks like new broom finish poured next to some older acid wash concrete, unless I am missing something

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

take heart, you got a plumber out, things are moving forward!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anza Borrego posted:

???

That looks like new broom finish poured next to some older acid wash concrete, unless I am missing something

In texas, particularly the dry summer months, they spray new sidewalks and concrete roads with white stuff, it apparently is this, or some variant, "white pigmented, wax-based concrete curing compound". Presumably it helps keep the moisture in so that the cement cures properly (full moisture) when it's 104F air temp and 120F ground temp for 16 hrs a day. I'm just guessing though. Main features seem to be 1) reduces shrinkage; retains moisture to reduce “plastic shrinkage cracks”; 2) Improves durability; proper curing will increase the long life of concrete

https://specchem.com/pave-cure-cw-w-dye-tx-type-i
https://specchem.com/speccity-white

I do not claim to be an expert on concrete, I just have seen them spray white gunk on top of concrete continuously for 20 years in texas

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

drat, that's really good!

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Anyone here have a lead on a homeowner available cold patch asphalt adhesion promoter? There appear to be a bunch of products available but all targeted at municipalities.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sweeper posted:

take heart, you got a plumber out, things are moving forward!
I got four plumbers out today! I don't know what was up the last week and a half but suddenly everyone has techs available for a quote. Maybe because I'm asking for quotes on a main line replacement ($$$) instead of a leak detection/repair ($). One quote so far is to trench through the driveway direct to the house. $5,400 for 1" copper, 14" deep, saw cutting/trenching, backfill and compaction. No cement repair.

Much better than the quote for $21k I got 2 weeks ago (included cement repair). I'm expecting 3 more quotes. We're on the up and up!

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

I got four plumbers out today! I don't know what was up the last week and a half but suddenly everyone has techs available for a quote. Maybe because I'm asking for quotes on a main line replacement ($$$) instead of a leak detection/repair ($). One quote so far is to trench through the driveway direct to the house. $5,400 for 1" copper, 14" deep, saw cutting/trenching, backfill and compaction. No cement repair.

Much better than the quote for $21k I got 2 weeks ago (included cement repair). I'm expecting 3 more quotes. We're on the up and up!

In 2023 I would want some solid evidence-based reasons why I should be using buried copper for a main. Expensive, relatively short lifespan compared to alternatives, etc. I'd ask this to be quoted out in PE or whatever wonder plastic they are using for buried lines now.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Yeah I'm also questioning the copper main line as that sounds incorrect or at least ridiculously more expensive than it should be. Might be a regional thing (MN/WI/IA) but everything here is poly of some sort usually 1" black polyethylene.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

skybolt_1 posted:

Anyone here have a lead on a homeowner available cold patch asphalt adhesion promoter? There appear to be a bunch of products available but all targeted at municipalities.

I've used something like this from our local place : https://www.asphaltsealcoatingdirect.com/catalog/asphalt-primer

(The tack kote stuff, not the over oil primer)

fake edit : We do not add water when we do it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

My kingdom for a landscaper to clear the nutsedge that poked through the defenses under a 6’ run of river rocks in our side yard.

I’ll handle the 24’ run that lost out to crabgrass, that stuff is easy. Yank the middle and clear out a big circle.

Nutsedge needs 30 sprouts to cover the same area and breaks apart too easily to work through quickly.

https://www.domyown.com/sedgehammer-herbicide-p-1348.html

You're welcome

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Something based on this would be choice

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

I've used something like this from our local place : https://www.asphaltsealcoatingdirect.com/catalog/asphalt-primer

(The tack kote stuff, not the over oil primer)

fake edit : We do not add water when we do it.

Thanks. The area I need to patch is very small, wondering if I could use one of the Henry spray asphalt primers available locally....

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

skybolt_1 posted:

In 2023 I would want some solid evidence-based reasons why I should be using buried copper for a main. Expensive, relatively short lifespan compared to alternatives, etc. I'd ask this to be quoted out in PE or whatever wonder plastic they are using for buried lines now.

Wandering Orange posted:

Yeah I'm also questioning the copper main line as that sounds incorrect or at least ridiculously more expensive than it should be. Might be a regional thing (MN/WI/IA) but everything here is poly of some sort usually 1" black polyethylene.
He also quoted 1" PEX for $4,700 vs the $5,400 for copper. The guy said copper would last longer :shrug: I guess I have some research to do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Want to see the leaky section mounted to a trophy display on a wall in the garage

Seriously, spray paint that fucker gold and mount it on a trophy plaque thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

spf3million posted:

He also quoted 1" PEX for $4,700 vs the $5,400 for copper. The guy said copper would last longer :shrug: I guess I have some research to do.

If you can swing it: get copper. Buried PEX should be fine, but copper’s performance is a known quantity for well over a century.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

If you can swing it: get copper. Buried PEX should be fine, but copper’s performance is a known quantity for well over a century.

The only reason people in our area recommend PEX is because of the poo poo in our water.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

The only reason people in our area recommend PEX is because of the poo poo in our water.

This is the wildcard - does your water have stuff in it that reduces the lifespan of copper? This is kind of unknowable but yeah.

Though this is really all elementary. 50 year / 75 year lifespan isn't really going to matter to you personally. I'd go with cheaper here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skybolt_1 posted:

This is the wildcard - does your water have stuff in it that reduces the lifespan of copper? This is kind of unknowable but yeah.

Though this is really all elementary. 50 year / 75 year lifespan isn't really going to matter to you personally. I'd go with cheaper here.

Yeah I guess it does? A guy at work who also lives in the area said that was the case with our water district. It's water in LA so I wouldn't doubt that being the case.

We are going to have to completely repipe the house in a year or so because back in 2003 they used lovely pipe when building the place.

We are going to go with the cheaper stuff because we won't be here but for another 15 years at most so it's not gonna be our problem.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
They've become the PO!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:shock!:
:monocle:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MarcusSA posted:

We are going to go with the cheaper stuff because we won't be here but for another 15 years at most so it's not gonna be our problem.

....Gary?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

They've become the PO!

We're all the PO, eventually.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Stay a renter, retain your innocence

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I guess it does? A guy at work who also lives in the area said that was the case with our water district. It's water in LA so I wouldn't doubt that being the case.

We are going to have to completely repipe the house in a year or so because back in 2003 they used lovely pipe when building the place.

PEX-a aka expansion PEX aka Wirsbo / Upnor has a 50 year + expected lifespan. They have some impressive test data to back that up.

Like anything else the reality is going to boil down to your specific installation / installer. I just had to replace a section of 1" copper that was maybe 25 years old due to a pinhole leak. :iiam:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Epitope posted:

Stay a renter, retain your innocence

I like the house but moving in and having a $10k bill to fix poo poo along with another 15-20k to re pipe is not cool at all.

Another house in our community went on vacation for a 2 weeks and came home to their entire first floor being essentially ruined and it took nearly 5 weeks for them to get back to be able to live there.

Fuckin lovely rear end 2003 era copper pipes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skybolt_1 posted:

PEX-a aka expansion PEX aka Wirsbo / Upnor has a 50 year + expected lifespan. They have some impressive test data to back that up.

Like anything else the reality is going to boil down to your specific installation / installer. I just had to replace a section of 1" copper that was maybe 25 years old due to a pinhole leak. :iiam:

I don't know what polythylene is rated for/tested for but I know there's a lot of it in the ground since the 50s that doing just fine around here.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had a leak today... the tube on the top of the RO popped out of the fitting.

Luckily, it's directly above the top loading washing machine that had it's lid open, so all the water just leaked into there!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Guess who left the hot water faucet running all day in his kid’s bathroom, despite working from home? 10 plus loving hours. In California. I think I’m going to have to sell the house to cover the bill

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Second house I ever bought less than 24 hours after I got the keys washing machine drain overflowed and ruined 1000 square feet of laminate. And there was evidence it had happened before and wasn’t disclosed. loving Gary.

Ended up all is well though I got brand new engineered veneer for like $1500 out of pocket.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

Second house I ever bought less than 24 hours after I got the keys washing machine drain overflowed and ruined 1000 square feet of laminate. And there was evidence it had happened before and wasn’t disclosed. loving Gary.

Ended up all is well though I got brand new engineered veneer for like $1500 out of pocket.

Guys I'm getting ready to list in a few weeks. More things than ever before have been breaking. Today I found my washing machine hot water line valve leaking, but luckily the on-call plumber got here in under an hour and fixed it for $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
4 quotes are in:

1) $5,400 for copper, $4,700 for PEX
2) $4,200 for copper
3) $5,800 for copper if they can hydrojet under the driveway add $1,500 if they have to cut the cement, plus an extra $950 for permit and inspection optional
4) $8,100 for copper completely trenchless, including permits

None of the above include cement repair. 4) seemed the most professional, he marked out USA survey points as he was leaving and seemed knowledgeable about the permitting requirements.

I'm not sure trenchless is going to really be worth it since I need to get cement poured anyway. I figure half the cost is in the mobilization/demob already.