Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

QuarkJets posted:

The Kona feels like a mediocre ICE vehicle that happens to be electric (it's actually a hybrid with all of the ICE poo poo ripped out)

Yeah but:

0-60 in just over 6 seconds
Double Wishbone rear suspension (Bolt is a beam axel).
Apple and Google Car Play.
Manages to get the advertised range (250 miles).
LIDAR Adaptive Cruise.
Lots of cargo room.
Remote app isn't bad.

Bad stuff:

DC Fast charge only up to 75kw
The backup signal is loud enough to wake up the entire hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think my Kona has a backup sound

e: oh wait it does

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kill me now posted:

It probably didn't help Rivian when they jacked their prices up almost $15k last year.

Under $70k is compelling, almost $80k is less so.

That $15k price jump is what put me off them, it puts the trims one would actually want into the $90k+ range.

If they go under I'd bet Amazon or Bezos directly buys them out, Amazon already has a major stake in the company iirc.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Elviscat posted:

That $15k price jump is what put me off them, it puts the trims one would actually want into the $90k+ range.

If they go under I'd bet Amazon or Bezos directly buys them out, Amazon already has a major stake in the company iirc.

Same for both myself and a coworker who were extremely interested. Our builds were in the 70s and then magically became something like $93K with the price increase. No thanks.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hey Ioniq 6 goon that got their car fixed, looks like enough of these issues made it up the chain: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2023/06/17/hyundai-ioniq-5-power-problems-nhtsa/70333004007/

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Russian Bear posted:

Hey Ioniq 6 goon that got their car fixed, looks like enough of these issues made it up the chain: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2023/06/17/hyundai-ioniq-5-power-problems-nhtsa/70333004007/

Different problem, that's the ICCU pooping out. The 2023 models supposedly have a newer/fixed version.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dad's honestly considering a Lyriq.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

Dad's honestly considering a Lyriq.

Aren't those backordered to the heat death of the universe?

They look very cool tho

Unrelated I watched DeMuro's walkthrough of the iD.Buzz and it looks really neat. One thing I thought was extra great was the wireless phone charging cubby where you kind of just slot it in and it charges.. Seems like a great way to keep folks off their phone!

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 20, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

Aren't those backordered to the heat death of the universe?

They look very cool tho

Unrelated I watched DeMuro's walkthrough of the iD.Buzz and it looks really neat. One thing I thought was extra great was the wireless phone charging cubby where you kind of just slot it in and it charges.. Seems like a great way to keep folks off their phone!

I’ve got that setup on my Bolt EV and it’s great especially with CarPlay

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’ve got that setup on my Bolt EV and it’s great especially with CarPlay

Fantastic idea I wish more cars had them (and wireless carplay)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that's a great part of the mach-e where you just get in and toss it where, well, you usually toss your phone, and it starts charging and you let it be

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
At 2 weeks in with the EV6, I love it more than before. It's insanely good at everything practical I can think of with the added bonus of being insanely fast while being a terrific sleeper. A+ and I'll probably have more detailed stuff to go over but not tonight.

Anyways, took the longest roadtrip yet this weekend driving 20 minutes to the dealer to get plates then a slightly longer trip back since it was a nice day. Got a picture at one of the better stops out of obligation to do a car shot but the smoke just washes everything out plus the angle makes it look a bit dumpy. Our daughter especially liked watching the miles remaining go up while coasting down and ending up with more miles after 15 minutes driving than we started with at the top.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
On a family vacation now and owning an EV (specifically a Model 3) has ruined my brain. I was tasked with buying and driving a rental for the week. We ended up going with a Kia Sorento because it was good enough and could hold all of our luggage. Two days in and every single time I’ve gotten out of the car I’ve left it running. Everyone thinks it hilarious and we have the unofficial rule of whoever is riding shotgun is in charge of turning the car off, locking it, and giving me the key when I inevitably just walk away. Not to mention how I keep instinctively trying to tap the windshield washer to put it in park

I also realized I’m perfectly ok with not having CarPlay in my car. Other people connect theirs to the Kia for nav/music purposes (because no one knows how to give the driver proper verbal directions somehow) and while using Maps and stuff works fine… I somehow prefer the native Tesla ones

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lady Radia posted:

that's a great part of the mach-e where you just get in and toss it where, well, you usually toss your phone, and it starts charging and you let it be

That's how the EUV does it, it's great and pops up aa/carplay

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Another domino falls on CCS. Rivian is going NACS by 2025: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...-Rivian-Drivers Adapter for superchargers next year, Rivian Adventure Network will continue expanding.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

My Bolt lease is ending soon, and thinking about cross shopping a couple other options instead of just buying the Bolt. Going to try and take an Ioniq 5 and ID4 for a spin - any other options work taking a look at?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I love my polestar 2 and from what others have said, you may be able to get a good deal on a used one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lady up the street has a new ID4. It looks real nice.

She said she had to change some settings to make it feel more like a "normal" car. Wasn't used to the regenerative brakes, I guess.

I guess "normal" means 4-cylinder automatic transmission. Just LOL at all these people who've never driven a 3-speed 2-cylinder with a power band over 7000RPM. People seriously need to learn how to take it easy with letting off the throttle!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

She said she had to change some settings to make it feel more like a "normal" car. Wasn't used to the regenerative brakes, I guess.

I guess "normal" means 4-cylinder automatic transmission. Just LOL at all these people who've never driven a 3-speed 2-cylinder with a power band over 7000RPM. People seriously need to learn how to take it easy with letting off the throttle!

I only drive 2-stroke so only free-wheeling for me

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mobby_6kl posted:

I only drive 2-stroke so only free-wheeling for me

Let me play you the song of my people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0Vqpz6F9k

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That video would have been so much better if they'd kept the slide on the trombone.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

I had a rental Corolla a couple weeks ago, and it was unnerving how when you let off the gas it just wouldn't slow down at all, 'cause of the 90 speed transmission and the economy gearing.

Mostly a matter of taste I think, I always have max regen on on whatever I'm driving, my GF prefers to use the accelerator and brake pedals more like an ICE car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This got me thinking, on highway do you keep regen or when you engage adaptive cruise it kind of auto regens for you? Any difference in how regen should be used in a phev? The volvo regen was really cool I had never driven one pedal before but was liking it after my test drive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

At least on my Hyundai it doesn't matter if you try to do single pedal mode (which I loving hate) or a normal ice two pedal mode. It will engage the electric motor to brake as much as possible regardless and only engage the friction brakes if it needs more watts of braking power. I've tested both, and you get the exact same range, except one pedal doesn't let you coast with your foot off which sucks rear end.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nitrousoxide posted:

At least on my Hyundai it doesn't matter if you try to do single pedal mode (which I loving hate) or a normal ice two pedal mode. It will engage the electric motor to brake as much as possible regardless and only engage the friction brakes if it needs more watts of braking power. I've tested both, and you get the exact same range, except one pedal doesn't let you coast with your foot off which sucks rear end.

Yeah, same on mine. I can see the regen level as the car slows/brakes, and it doesn't seem to be any more/less efficient whether you press the brake pedal or let the car slow itself. I haven't noticed a range difference between the different levels of regenerative braking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Interesting, what the heck is the point of one pedal driving then?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

priznat posted:

Some people seem to like it. I personally find having to keep my foot in a very precise position for long periods of time to be a pain in the rear end. I also think having a default "this is the brake" pedal is safer when you need to emergency brake. You're probably going to try to slam down on it rather than pull your foot off like you would with single pedal mode.

It seems strictly inferior in every way to me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'll have to check with the volvo system, if it isn't in B if it doesn't regen at all or still does just as much. I don't see the point if regular driving works just as well!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Holy poo poo can we talk about this more???

quote:

Jon uses up the excess power on a whole lot of resistors, full-time headlights, and a kick-rear end stereo system. The more we talked, the more interesting he got. As it turned out, this wasn’t his first attempt at public transport piracy.

No DC/DC, no isolation? Holy gently caress I'm amazed / terrified / want to be this guys friend.

quote:

After that I gotta depend on the ol’ Chevrolegs

:perfect:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

Some people seem to like it. I personally find having to keep my foot in a very precise position for long periods of time to be a pain in the rear end.

youre not doing that when your foot is on the gas in 2 pedal driving? Are you the guy regularly speeding up and slowing down 10 mph for no reason?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

To determine who is young enough to keep driving for more years compared to those who use 2-pedal driving who will need their license revoked because their age will cause problems and dangers for other drivers on the road. :can:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

youre not doing that when your foot is on the gas in 2 pedal driving? Are you the guy regularly speeding up and slowing down 10 mph for no reason?

No? But since the default foot-off-of-pedal state is to coast, being slightly off from equilibrium power doesn't really impact your speed much. Again, I don't see what problem single pedal driving is solving. And, if anything, it breaks the mental conditioning of slamming on the brake pedal for emergency braking by trying to have this one pedal do two things and confusing the instinctual response.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In emergency braking you slam on the brake pedal in either car.

It seems like you're inventing reasons to not like it, its okay you can just not like it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

In emergency braking you slam on the brake pedal in either car.

It seems like you're inventing reasons to not like it, its okay you can just not like it.

If you don't consistently use then brake pedal then you won't develop the instinctual reaction to slam on it for emergency braking. What I would expect to happen is someone accustomed to single pedal control will slam on the accelerator and speed up into a collision.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s what I do

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

Because it is awesome, I'm on vacation right now and drove my husband's car and I felt drunk when I was driving because it felt like I had so little control over the car. As it is now, I go literally days without manually engaging the friction brakes.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you don't consistently use then brake pedal then you won't develop the instinctual reaction to slam on it for emergency braking. What I would expect to happen is someone accustomed to single pedal control will slam on the accelerator and speed up into a collision.

That doesn't make any form of sense. If someone is so accustomed to one pedal driving that they've forgotten the brake pedal exists, they'll be far more likely to just remove their foot and let regen Jesus take the wheel as that's how they normally stop.

This conversation is ridiculous. I have driven exclusively one pedal in my Bolt for 3 years and have to touch the emergency stop pedal a couple times a month when somebody does something particularly bone headed in front of me. I have never once stomped the "go faster" pedal expecting it to stop my vehicle.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nitrousoxide posted:

There’s nothing wrong with not liking one pedal driving but this is goofy.

Humans are pretty good as developing muscle memory quickly and if your muscle memory is developed to let off the gas to slow down (as in literally every car in existence to greater or lesser degrees) then why would people suddenly start mashing the accelerator to stop? This wasn’t a problem with manuals or high compression engines with significant engine braking, why would it be a problem now?

It’s a completely trivial adjustment. You get used to it in like 5 minutes if you decide to use it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Peanut3141 posted:

That doesn't make any form of sense. If someone is so accustomed to one pedal driving that they've forgotten the brake pedal exists, they'll be far more likely to just remove their foot and let regen Jesus take the wheel as that's how they normally stop.

If they do that then they are almost certainly leaving breaking power on the table unless the car normally blends in the friction brakes in single pedal mode, which I doubt. Also in some cars, the brake lights just straight up don't even turn on for single pedal driving (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0YW7x9U5TQ) which is a huge hazard.

Peanut3141 posted:

This conversation is ridiculous. I have driven exclusively one pedal in my Bolt for 3 years and have to touch the emergency stop pedal a couple times a month when somebody does something particularly bone headed in front of me. I have never once stomped the "go faster" pedal expecting it to stop my vehicle.

Neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

If they do that then they are almost certainly leaving breaking power on the table unless the car normally blends in the friction brakes in single pedal mode, which I doubt. Also in some cars, the brake lights just straight up don't even turn on for single pedal driving (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0YW7x9U5TQ) which is a huge hazard.

You're right. But your expectation that someone accustomed to single pedal control will slam on the accelerator and speed up into a collision does not fit the "more pressure make car go faster" paradigm of one pedal driving.

At worst they might forget more stopping power is available through other means and fail to stop in time. Actually accelerating instead does not make sense.